Unofficial Bzz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My Grandmother is in the hospital Not so good update NP.

+10
crystajewel
valerie
Rebecca1340
Lori
thebigscott
edbson
chelle
tara
BuzzNut
aurora04
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

My Grandmother is in the hospital Not so good update NP. Empty My Grandmother is in the hospital Not so good update NP.

Post by aurora04 Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:03 am

I got the call today that my Grandmother is in the hospital. We don't know anything yet. My Uncle had called my father to let him know that my Aunt had just taken her to the hospital. All we know is that her heart was really racing. My parents are preparing for the worse and trying to get everything done this morning for Christmas that needs to be done (finish shopping, get a tree, etc...) because my father will be going to visit with his mother in Antigonish (2 1/2 hours away) in the next day or so (hoping to wait until after Christmas, but will go beforehand if she's not doing well).

I am not going to stress out about it right now since we don't know anything. For all I know this could easily be treated with meds, or her sugar might have been out of whack (doubtful since my Aunt is very strict with Grandma and sweets). I had received a Christmas Card (and a money order for the kids) and I had a bad feeling when I got that card. The money order was for $200 (last year she sent $40) and it looked like Zach signed the card. I could only make out an F and an E. The letters were all over the place on the card and in no particular order. My Grandmother is also 91 or 92 years old, so I was hoping that was the reason for the signature on the card, but it still gave me a very very bad feeling (last years signature was very legible).

I'll update when I find out more.

Last edited by aurora04 on Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
aurora04
aurora04
In Need of a 12 Step Program

Number of posts : 766
Honeycomb : Level 6, Sweet Bee
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Back to top Go down

My Grandmother is in the hospital Not so good update NP. Empty Re: My Grandmother is in the hospital Not so good update NP.

Post by BuzzNut Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:10 am

I'm so sorry. I hope it is nothing serious and she is better soon.
BuzzNut
BuzzNut
Really Not Getting Much Done Around the House

Number of posts : 1737
Honeycomb : Level 6 ....the endless doom
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

My Grandmother is in the hospital Not so good update NP. Empty Re: My Grandmother is in the hospital Not so good update NP.

Post by tara Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:33 am

My Grandmother is in the hospital Not so good update NP. 820607 keep us updated
tara
tara

Number of posts : 6833
Registration date : 2008-03-10

http://www.mythirtyone.com/taras/

Back to top Go down

Post by chelle Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:36 am

My prayers are with you, I am so sorry, I know its especially hard this time of year.
chelle
chelle

Number of posts : 6471
Honeycomb : the abyss with keys that dont fit any locks

http://aretheyalseepyet.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by edbson Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:40 am

My Grandmother is in the hospital Not so good update NP. 820607
edbson
edbson

Number of posts : 5916
Honeycomb : Level 6~ the abyss,

Back to top Go down

Post by thebigscott Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:59 pm

thebigscott
thebigscott

Number of posts : 9214
Honeycomb : Level 6 ~ Sweet Bee

http://messierobjects.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Lori Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:26 pm

I hope you get some good news soon. Grandmas can be tough.
Lori
Lori

Number of posts : 8682
Honeycomb : Sweet Bee, Level 6
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by aurora04 Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:59 pm

Thanks everyone! My Grandmother is a tough lady. She has been a widow (widower?) for almost 50 years now, so she has had to raise all their kids by herself. She also worked until she was 75 years old when they made her retire (she worked in an old age home and was getting older then the residence so they made her retire, LOL).

I talked to my father, and she had a minor heart attack and also has pneumonia. We will be going up to see her after Christmas. Dad gave me the impression that she will be in the hospital for awhile (he said that is where we will visit her at). She is getting oxygen every once in awhile, so I guess it's a good thing that she's not on it constantly.

I'll update as I find out more.
aurora04
aurora04

Back to top Go down

Post by Rebecca1340 Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:01 pm

I hope she's on the mend now!
Rebecca1340
Rebecca1340
Admin

Number of posts : 6118
Honeycomb : Slowly sinking deeper into the Abyss

http://bzzz.heavenforum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by valerie Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:47 pm

Is she in the Aberdeen or did they send her to Halifax?
Either way, she is in good hands.
Hopefully she is better soon.
valerie
valerie

Number of posts : 680
Honeycomb : Level 6 Finally there!!
Registration date : 2008-03-30

Back to top Go down

Post by aurora04 Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:22 am

I'm assuming that she is still in the Aberdeen. Dad didn't mention her being transferred to Halifax. I'm glad to know it's a good hospital!
aurora04
aurora04

Back to top Go down

Post by aurora04 Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:59 am

I just found out that my Grandmother is going to be released from the hospital sooner then expected!! I am so freaking excited about that. I was really expecting to get The phone call any day (which I know can still happen considering she is in her 90s).

Thank you everyone for your prayers and positive thoughts! I really appreciate it!
aurora04
aurora04

Back to top Go down

Post by valerie Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:12 am

That is GREAT news !!
valerie
valerie

Number of posts : 680
Honeycomb : Level 6 Finally there!!
Registration date : 2008-03-30

Back to top Go down

Post by tara Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:48 am

That is terrific, I am so happy for you and your family.
tara
tara

Back to top Go down

Post by edbson Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:07 pm

That's awesome!
edbson
edbson

Back to top Go down

Post by chelle Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:33 pm

wonderful!!!!
chelle
chelle

Back to top Go down

Post by crystajewel Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:23 pm

that's great that your grandma is doing so well

crystajewel
Queen Bee
Queen Bee

Number of posts : 231
Honeycomb : busy bee
Registration date : 2008-11-12

Back to top Go down

Post by aurora04 Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:33 pm

I'll be finding out more today or tomorrow on how she is doing. My father went up to visit her today. When I was talking to my sister again, she said that they are releasing her as early as next week because she is not improving, but not getting any worse. I am not as excited now that she's getting out of the hospital. I know that probably sounds bad, but I think she would get better care in the hospital and not at my Aunt's house. My Aunt is in her mid to late 60s, and can't do a lot of stuff for Grandma. They keep the house quite dark because "she can't see anyway, so what's the point" (when she had light at other houses, she could see quite well considering her age), and she only helps Grandma from bed to a chair in the kitchen and to the bathroom whenever she needs to go. That's it. She gets no exercise whatsoever. Grandma fell in the tub one time, and my Aunt couldn't help her, so she had to get my Uncle to help. Grandma was MORTIFIED!! I think she'ld be better off in the hospital until she's better. My father is going to suggest that they put her in a home. Grandma does not want to go in a home (or at least that is how it was a couple years ago), but I honestly think it would be best for her. Altho, I don't think she'll last long in a home. She worked in a home until she was 75 (they made her retire because she was getting older then the residents) so I'm sure she has seen some horror stories from that.

Either way, I'm still hoping she has more fight in her.
aurora04
aurora04

Back to top Go down

Post by thebigscott Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:16 pm

It's so hard in situations like that. It's hard when you're the caregiver because it's so exhausting and expensive, but it's also hard when you know that the caregiver isn't doing as good a job as the patient deserves. I hate that hospitals have no consideration for what happens when a patient leaves.
thebigscott
thebigscott

Number of posts : 9214
Honeycomb : Level 6 ~ Sweet Bee

http://messierobjects.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sharon Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:31 am

I am glad your grandmother is better... My grandmother is in her 90's also and I can't imagine life without her....
Sharon
Sharon
In Need of a Life
In Need of a Life

Number of posts : 319
Honeycomb : level 6 -1 gold keys
Registration date : 2008-06-20

Back to top Go down

Post by aurora04 Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:26 am

Yeah. I feel bad for my Aunt because she is doing everything (well almost everything). There is talk now that they will be bringing in a nurse to help. I asked why they would be releasing her if she's not improving, and it's because they figure she will be more comfortable at home instead of a hospital. She is very confused right now. My father had to tell her who he was when he went there yesterday. They are hoping she will do better in her own place. She's just not comfortable in the hospital and has no idea where she is most of the time when she's there.
aurora04
aurora04

Back to top Go down

Post by aurora04 Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:46 pm

I just wanted to keep you guys updated since you were thinking and praying for her. She had to go back to the hospital today by ambulance. While my cousin was visiting with her, she became unresponsive, her breathing was bad, and she didn't look good. I really had no idea what unresponsive meant (I knew it wasn't good tho), so we called a nurse friend and he told us it could be anywhere from a cold to more serious (her age, a simple cold can cause her to be unresponsive apparently). I still wasn't too confident in that. I just have the feeling that she doesn't have any more fight in her. My mother called a little while ago and said there was no change, but they now think she had a stroke. They don't expect her to live much longer. My father is trying to get a flight home (he works out west and just went back to work I think a week or 2 ago). We will all be going up to Antigonish together when my father gets home. I'm not sure what to do with the kids when we go up tho. I don't really want them to be there, but I want them there for me KWIM? Nothing makes me happier then being with my kids, so I really want them with me, or close enough that I can see them when I want (Antigonish is about 2 1/2 hours away with good road conditions).

I'll update again when I learn more.

Thanks again everyone for all the previous prayers and thoughts for her. I really appreciate it.
aurora04
aurora04

Back to top Go down

Post by chelle Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:05 pm

I am sorry Dawn. Gosh, you are just having alot of hearbreak lately!! it breaks MY heart to imagine how much you are hurting.

I will pray for your family Smile
chelle
chelle

Back to top Go down

Post by tara Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:13 pm

tara
tara

Back to top Go down

Post by edbson Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:46 pm

edbson
edbson

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next