Unofficial Bzz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Finally out of the hospital

+7
tara
amybeccaz
aurora04
BuzzNut
Lori
Lucky
crystajewel
11 posters

Go down

Finally out of the hospital Empty Finally out of the hospital

Post by crystajewel Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:29 pm

we rushed my son to the ER on sat with a severe reaction to penicillin

he was in the hospital until yesterday evening and he's still got a really bad rash which they told me could last up to 6 weeks

so i am sorry i haven't been on a lot lately but my son has been having some health issues i have had to tend to

crystajewel
Queen Bee
Queen Bee

Number of posts : 231
Honeycomb : busy bee
Registration date : 2008-11-12

Back to top Go down

Finally out of the hospital Empty Re: Finally out of the hospital

Post by Lucky Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:39 pm

Oh my, take care of that little one, he's probably miserable. Do make sure you get enough rest too!
Lucky
Lucky
Really Not Getting Much Done Around the House

Number of posts : 1488
Honeycomb : 6 infinity
Registration date : 2008-05-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Lori Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:41 pm

That must have been terrifying! I'm so glad he's home now, finally. And I hope he continues to improve.

Is he the first in your family with drug allergies? My mom was really allergic to lots of antibiotics, but none of us kids, and none of the grandkids, were ever affected.
Lori
Lori

Number of posts : 8682
Honeycomb : Sweet Bee, Level 6
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by BuzzNut Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:49 pm

So sorry. I am glad he is doing better. My son had a reaction to penicillin too when he was little.
BuzzNut
BuzzNut

Number of posts : 1737
Honeycomb : Level 6 ....the endless doom
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by aurora04 Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:08 pm

I hope he is feeling better soon!
aurora04
aurora04
In Need of a 12 Step Program

Number of posts : 766
Honeycomb : Level 6, Sweet Bee
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post by amybeccaz Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:06 pm

Oh no! I had a reaction to penicillin too when I was 3 (had meningitis). Hope he recovers fast!
amybeccaz
amybeccaz

Number of posts : 621
Registration date : 2008-04-12

http://www.twocuteblondies.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by tara Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:23 pm

Poor honey, I hope he feels better and you get some rest.
tara
tara

Number of posts : 6833
Registration date : 2008-03-10

http://www.mythirtyone.com/taras/

Back to top Go down

Post by crystajewel Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:58 pm

he's doing better and they ordered him an epi pen

he still has a rash but they say that will last up to 6 weeks

my mom is allergic to penicillin but i am not and neither is my brother so we didn't think my son would be but he is LOL

crystajewel
Queen Bee
Queen Bee

Back to top Go down

Post by tara Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:06 pm

Surprisingly I am the only one in my family not allergic to penicillin, my kids are okay too. My mom, and brother both are. However I am immune to it so it is useless anyway. An epi pen is always great to have on hand.
tara
tara

Number of posts : 6833

http://www.mythirtyone.com/taras/

Back to top Go down

Post by thebigscott Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:26 pm

I'm so glad he's OK. I'm not allergic to any drugs, but my husband is severely allergice to Erythromycin. He almost died when he took it in high school. But he still gets doctors trying to prescribe it to him. He'll tell them he's allergic and they'll say something like, "A lot of people get upset stomachs when they take this. Just take it with a full meal." Then he has to explain that he doesn't get an upset stomach. He stops breathing. Duh! Allergic!

You might consider getting your son a medic alert bracelet. In an emergency he might get medication before they have his medical records.
thebigscott
thebigscott

Number of posts : 9214
Honeycomb : Level 6 ~ Sweet Bee

http://messierobjects.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by edbson Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:53 pm

Dh and I are both allergic to Pcn, but the kids are not. I found out i was allergic when I was 28, took Augmentin, and broke out in hives and my throat swelled shut.....was nice.
My rash lasted 3 days, and Dh's only lasted a week or so.

Glad he is doing better, epipens are a must have around here.
edbson
edbson

Number of posts : 5916
Honeycomb : Level 6~ the abyss,
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post by chelle Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:45 pm

Oh girl, that is my worst fear. Its the only thing that EVERYONE in my house is alergic to.

my mom was, and I they always said not to give it to me cause I could be too.
BR became alergic to it through getting too much as a child.

Our kids didnt ever get it 'just because'. (same reason as me)

THEN, one year BR and both boys got ill, they got ampacillian ( I think) . BR swole up like a toad frog, and the boys got what I thought was a reoccurance of 5th deisease( just a rash you get like chicken pox) NOPE. come to find out, its a cousin to penn. when BR's throat closed up is when I decided to check the meds.

I tell EVERY doctor that we are alergeic. IT never fails, THEY ALL perscribe it, THEN I have to ask if they gave us a dirivitive of Penn. Some will admit it and say yes or just write a new script. OThers will just look at me like I am an idiot and questioning their judgement. THEN I tell them, "My husband and I are both DEATHLY alergic, so please double check" in my bestest "I am a scared dumb mommy and dont know anything" voice.

They ALWAYS change it. a few have argued that the kids wouldnt be, but when I tell them that they HAVE had alergic reactions they will change it. (though NOT admit to why... )

With 2 of my 4 births I got a BAD rash, and swole up real bad. come to find out, even though I have on a red bracelt, my chart says NO PENN, and my DR KNOWS, someone will RX it to me.

I didnt realize what happened, thought it was the anastesiology (or what ever) till this last time. (the last 2 were C's) FIrst IV, I begged the nurse to make sure that it wasnt Penn- I recognized the name-. She said it wasnt. BR reinterated that I was alergic, she left the room. and changed it to a name I didnt recogonize I begged her again to make sure.

THEN 2 days later she is making rounds, and sees me. Says "oh wow, you really ARE alergic to Penn." under her breath. The other nurses had been feeding me benadryl like candy. We couldnt fiqure it out. All chalked it up to me being alergic to the anastesia. Come to find out, she HAD given me a penn dirivituve (sp). and my DR saw it and ordered it changed. (he wasnt on call when I was admitted. ) It was a SLIGHT cousin to Penn. But I still reacted strongly.
So be VERY VERY careful. Drs and nurses can be idiots, and always belive THEY are smarter than you. Learn ALL the names of the cousins, kins, and peices of Penn. because there are some they will trick you with.

you dont know HOW many times I have went to the Dr and almost (or did) walk out with a script for the kids for PEnn. (I bet with 4 kids we have been on an antibiotic MAYBE 14 times. and 15 of those have had to be re perscribed LOL )... Seriously, I have walked out and it SAYED penn on the script. With the chart saying in BOLD letters they are alergic.

AND the pharmasist doesnt always tell you. THEIR computer TELLS them, but they override it, cause a DR said to RX it. (this is what happened to BR and the kids that year-- I called to give THEM a cussin after I called the DR and gave HIM one... )

I hope he gets better, and hope you can get some rest soon!!
chelle
chelle

Number of posts : 6471
Honeycomb : the abyss with keys that dont fit any locks

http://aretheyalseepyet.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by thebigscott Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:14 am

Chelle, that's exactly what they do to Scott with the erythromycin. Only he doesn't just get a rash. When he was in high school he was home alone and sick. His mom and dad went across the street to a neighbor's open house and planned to just stay a half hour or so because he was really sick. Well he'd been to the Dr. that morning and the Dr. had prescribed the erythromycin because penn. wasn't working. So Scott's laying on the sofa watching TV and he just has taken the meds and he starts wheezing. Then when he sits up he realizes that his throat is closing off and he can't breathe anymore. He crawls to the phone but he realizes that even if he calls 911 he can't talk. This was back before they could trace the number to your house automatically. You had to be able to tell them where to go. But Scott can't. But he knows his mom and dad will be home in just a few more minutes so he decided to put all his energy into just staying alive that few minutes and making the air go in and out. He says all he can remember is that he couldn't even see anymore but he made the air go in and out. Then his parents found him and they rushed him to the hospital where he stayed for 3 days.

THIS is in his medical history and he still gets doctors prescribe it to him WITH an antacid and immodium because they're sure that when he says he's allergic he means that he'll get the trots. I go with him to all his appointments now because if he's really sick and tired or out of it he'll forget to double and triple check to make sure that the meds aren't in the erythromycin family.
thebigscott
thebigscott

Number of posts : 9214
Honeycomb : Level 6 ~ Sweet Bee

http://messierobjects.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by crystajewel Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:04 am

you would think that doctors would realize what's going on but they don't of coarse

well thanks for the advice and i am going to get a medi bracelet for my son

hopefully that will help but what it sounds like is that won't help either Rolling Eyes

crystajewel
Queen Bee
Queen Bee

Back to top Go down

Post by Rebecca1340 Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:28 am

That's scary! Hope the rash isn't too uncomfortable for him and that the doctors take the bracelet seriously if there's ever an emergency. I think it's definately better than nothing though!
Rebecca1340
Rebecca1340
Admin

Number of posts : 6118
Honeycomb : Slowly sinking deeper into the Abyss

http://bzzz.heavenforum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down