Unofficial Bzz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Family Heritage...

4 posters

Go down

Family Heritage... Empty Family Heritage...

Post by Lori Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:27 pm

Feel free to carry on...moving a few posts and then I'll go back and delete the others in a bit.

bizzeedee:

WHAT a Greek without brown eyes?

agaphmou:

strange ,huh Dee? lol actually greeks from the north,alot of them have blue eyes and even blonde hair!, my brother,my mother and both my grandfathers had blue eyes.

bizzeedee:

on a similiar note... I'm of German ancestery. Brown eyes, brown hair (well it used to be). When Chuck and I went on a tour in Europe and were traveling from Italy to German, our tour director told us about how the Romans migrated north. Everything about me fit the Italian's and none of the Germans, as it seems most Germans are fair skinned, blond and blue eyed. So that's when I learned that my German ancestors probably came from Itatly and why my skin color is olive, hair brown, eyes brown and have what is referred to as a "roman" nose LOL

Wonder if your Dad's people (since you didn't mention he had blue eyes) came and settle in Greece from other places as well...

agaphmou:

Dad is a funny story,he is of greek descent ,but he was born in Russia,grew up in Germany,and then returned to Greece, then came to the US,NY,worked several years,became a citizen.Then he went back to Greece,married my mother and then they both came back to NY.His mother was born in Turkey,Constantinople(now istanbul)where my great grandfather had a tobacco farm.It's so interesting to learn as far back as you can in your family tree!

bizzeedee:

It most certainly is... for several years, I was deep into searching my roots... but when a computer crash came, losing some information, the idea of re-entering it wasn't appealing... not to mention I lost the wonderful resources at the MI State Library which was just an hour away... but still have a grate full of information, mircrofilm printouts and lots of good stories!

So do Russians have brown eyes?

agaphmou:

to be honest,I don't know lol

Lori
Lori

Number of posts : 8682
Honeycomb : Sweet Bee, Level 6
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Family Heritage... Empty Re: Family Heritage...

Post by briteasafirefly Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:19 pm

i like searching the family history stuff too, but I always seem to hit road blocks(and I have nobody to confirm what I find) or can't find the missing connection... do know that I'm related to Doc Holliday on my dad's side and then Robert and Elizabeth Browning on my mom's side.
briteasafirefly
briteasafirefly
In Need of a 12 Step Program

Number of posts : 625
Honeycomb : the doomed level 6
Registration date : 2008-11-28

Back to top Go down

Post by bizzeedee Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:32 pm

briteasafirefly wrote:i like searching the family history stuff too, but I always seem to hit road blocks(and I have nobody to confirm what I find) or can't find the missing connection... do know that I'm related to Doc Holliday on my dad's side and then Robert and Elizabeth Browning on my mom's side.

do you have an LDS church in your area? They have great information... or I'm sure SD County must have a great public library...

Start with census and go from there.

Boy, you've got some interesting people in your closet... should be easy to search.
bizzeedee
bizzeedee
Really Not Getting Much Done Around the House

Number of posts : 4243
Honeycomb : Sweet Bee ~ Level 6 ~
Registration date : 2008-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by trax Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:00 pm

I have researched my family tree for well over 30 years. Because my last name is on the side of unique, it has been relatively a snap to linky link the lines.

A note of caution - with the onset of the internet and several provincial governments opening their adoptions records - watch out.

How does the adoption format work in the USA? In British Columbia our provincial government opened the adoption records, also in the Province of Ontario.

Some may seek, but be prepared for what you may find.

trax
trax

Number of posts : 1470
Honeycomb : In Hold Mode - Level 6
Registration date : 2008-04-04

Back to top Go down

Post by bizzeedee Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:13 pm

most of the US does not have open adoption records, and you'd be hard pressed to find any registeries online, except for those those sites where adoptees/birthparents are searching... and I know that those actually work for connecting families members.

Another word of caution for people using the internet... you may find a family connection via ancestry.com or rootsweb... and quite often the information you come across will be incorrect.

I have paper data to back up lots, and will admit, I've posted family genealogy trees, and people 'steal' (for lack of a better word) and then add their own... I've found people who have shown me to be dead! So like Trax say (or I interpret), don't believe everything you read, and verify, verify everything you get!
bizzeedee
bizzeedee

Back to top Go down

Post by briteasafirefly Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:54 pm

bizzeedee wrote:
briteasafirefly wrote:i like searching the family history stuff too, but I always seem to hit road blocks(and I have nobody to confirm what I find) or can't find the missing connection... do know that I'm related to Doc Holliday on my dad's side and then Robert and Elizabeth Browning on my mom's side.

do you have an LDS church in your area? They have great information... or I'm sure SD County must have a great public library...

Start with census and go from there.

Boy, you've got some interesting people in your closet... should be easy to search.
I'm using a downloaded program from LDS(familysearch.org) to do a lot of the work. I think the bigger problem is that on my mom's side is that I have nobody to confirm what I find and very little known info to use to help me.

Plus its so time consuming....and its more that I'm mildy curious about it, so its something I occasionally come back to.
briteasafirefly
briteasafirefly

Number of posts : 625
Honeycomb : the doomed level 6
Registration date : 2008-11-28

Back to top Go down

Post by bizzeedee Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:22 pm

I agree, Jessica... it is very time consuming... when I was really delving into my hertitage, I spent way too much time on the computer and driving an hour to our State library, but gained lots, and thru what I found I was able to connect with lots of connected relatives, and we each share lots; sadly as I've said, I've let this hobby slide,but periodically get emails from people claiming to be related and wanting more information or are willing to share what they have....

But it you can limit yourself, to save 5 hours a weeks, it can be fun... Surely you at least know your mom's parents and hopefully where they came from or lived.. and by using the census' you can then trace backwards. Don't give up.
bizzeedee
bizzeedee

Back to top Go down

Post by trax Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:54 pm

Oh good grief, bizzeedee - you found yourself dead!

Yes, you interpret correctly.
trax
trax

Number of posts : 1470
Honeycomb : In Hold Mode - Level 6
Registration date : 2008-04-04

Back to top Go down

Post by bizzeedee Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:57 pm

trax wrote:Oh good grief, bizzeedee - you found yourself dead!

Yes, you interpret correctly.

I assure you and I'm alive and well, and you can imagine my suprise when I find a string of my family online via ancestory world web or whatever, and it shows me as dad and my parents alive... and if there is a contact with the person who posted, I'm quick to point out that I'm not dead ! LOL So many people download trees they find and when importing or editing into their own systems make some major errors....
bizzeedee
bizzeedee

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down