Unofficial Bzz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FAMILY.....

+5
chelle
trax
thebigscott
tara
Sharon
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

FAMILY..... Empty FAMILY.....

Post by Sharon Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:17 am

Last week I was over My girlfriend's Karen house and she was showing me her new scrapbook she was making and it started off with her grandparents down to her son... I was telling her how I was going to start to work on one and give it to my dad for next Christmas --since my grandmother is 95 years old and getting pic's from her and my aunt are like pulling eye teeth-- it is so beyond aggraviting(sp) they never like to part with anything... So anyway my sister christine last year borrowed all my scrapbooking stuff and made one for her sister inlaw last xmas and her sister inlaw was crying all xmas day (it was one of her kids) so my sister christine is now hooked on scrapbooking.. So it seemed liked everytime I called her in the last few weeks she was scrapbooking and I should have put 2 and 2 together..ok to get back to the story can you tell I love to gab(LOL) so anyway I was telling karen that I really wanted a pic of my grandfather in his miltary uniform and come hell or high water -even if i had to break into grams house i was going to get it... not that I would..... well maybe...So I did not get to see my grandmother and aunts for xmas since due to storms and such -i had them over on sunday for the most part -i see them every sunday now my grandmother has 10 grankids -so anyway gram comes over with my aunts and she hands me a book -- it a scrapbook and my sister Christine made 10 of them all the same with the same pic's for all us grandkids and herself.... I opened up the book and got to the second page and there was a pic of papa from world war 2 with 3 of his buddies in france with bombed out builings in the back and I snapped BIG TIME I cried all day yesterday... My sister christine called and my brother mike and my sister debbie since they already got there books and I was the last to get mine since they all live in the boston area and i live about 48 miles away ... My sister christine took pic's when grammy was taking a nap and then showed her when one was done what she was doing and then grammy was like go through the pic's copy them and then give them back --the album starts off with my great grandparents on my dad's side down to the great grandchildren ---now this is the best gift I ever got -- all the cousins called me and all of us were bawling!! Since we know how hard that was for gram since alot of those pic's are people whom have passed and gram can't deal with it...

My grandfather passed about 13 years ago and I have to say that is my favorite pic of all time --

My brother mike also got from gram since he is the only grandson from my grandfather --his miltary pic his purple heart and his discharge papers from the army all framed in a airtight frame with felt...I got my uncle Bill (world war 2) my grandfather brother miltray pic purple heart and discharge papers for my son..My sister debbie for her son got my dad's miltary pic and discharge papers from korea and my sister christine got my uncle art's miltary pic and dischrage papers from vietnam.... Grammy thought this was junk to use this is memories....

now I have been working on my family tree for 6 years -it's grooling--the 1st 3 years I worked all it all the time --now I am down to once a month --thank god for ancestory.com -the family tree maker -and the Waltham Ma libary... So now eveyone is waiting for that for next year gifts... It's hard since I am doing my mothers side and my dad 's side of the family but i did trace them back to Ireland and poland and Albiaina.. I even found out the names of the boats they came in on how cool is that... I have started on the design of the tree and it says's on the bottom in small print " to able to to take a step forward in life you have to know where you came from"
Ok so now my question is what is your favorite pic of all time????? Since you all know mine

sorry I wrote a Novel ...... (LOL)
Sharon
Sharon
In Need of a Life
In Need of a Life

Number of posts : 319
Honeycomb : level 6 -1 gold keys
Registration date : 2008-06-20

Back to top Go down

FAMILY..... Empty Re: FAMILY.....

Post by tara Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:39 am

That's a wonderful gift. I'd have to think on my favorite picture.
tara
tara

Number of posts : 6833
Registration date : 2008-03-10

http://www.mythirtyone.com/taras/

Back to top Go down

Post by thebigscott Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:19 am

Oh wow! That's awesome. I'd just cry and cry.

I'll have to think on my favorite picture. We take a lot but my parents didn't. I wish I had more of the ones from when I was little.
thebigscott
thebigscott
Really Not Getting Much Done Around the House

Number of posts : 9214
Honeycomb : Level 6 ~ Sweet Bee

http://messierobjects.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by trax Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:09 pm

I, too, have been working on my family tree (for near 40 years) and I enjoy to do it very much. I had contacted an Aunt of mine and she sent me a small picture of my fathers' family from 1922. You have to remember at that time not many folk could afford food let alone having their picture taken. In the photo is my dad (who was two years old) his grandparents, brothers and sisters, and his dad. It is a treasure. I took it to a photo shop who was able to produce a picture that was perfect as the original photo was rather on the mangled side. I had it copied and sent it to several relatives along with a complete categorized booklet of our family tree.

Everyone was thrilled, especially my Dad.
trax
trax

Number of posts : 1470
Honeycomb : In Hold Mode - Level 6
Registration date : 2008-04-04

Back to top Go down

Post by chelle Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:35 pm

I have done all of my family genology. well except my great great grandfather, the SOB was 'supposedly' from boston, and I cant get a line on him at all.

All I know is he came to Texas with a bullet wound. Damn Yankee.

anyway, I did all of mine and all of BR's. I had 6 5 inch binders full of papers, (mostly orignals) hundreds of the original pics from the 1800's. It was my passion. When I lost it all I gave it up.

I do still have the information on the web, just not as detailed as I had it in those binders.

favorite pics? it would have been the one of my grandfather at 5 or so, on his horse, with his dad standing beside him. Old Jim. that was the horse, I have heard about him all my life. I do miss that picture. Smile
chelle
chelle

Number of posts : 6471
Honeycomb : the abyss with keys that dont fit any locks

http://aretheyalseepyet.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by thebigscott Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:53 pm

I think I figured out my favorite picture. Only it's of my husband as a kid! Scott's dad bought some property with a cave on it when Scott was just a kid. Now I don't know how many of you go caving, but for those that do know anything about it... this one's a beaut! It's got all the features you'd look for so even though it's a small cave it has passageways, a big dome, stalactites, stalagmites, straws, columns, curtains, spar, underground river, etc. Anyhow he bought this when Scott was just about 3 or 4 and when they went exploring it, Scott came along. He was a geologist, and an experienced caver, and his best friend was a professional photographer. So Scott's mom has this book of beautiful photographs of Scott being carried by his dad through the watery parts, crawling through the low parts and sitting back eating a bologna sandwich in the dome. All the photos are black and white.

Then, I have matching photos of Scott carrying Caly through the same cave at just about the same age. Her sitting there eating her sandwich in the exact same spot, etc. Those pics were so hard to get because this is a deep cave. NO natural light. They were taken almost forty years ago so they focused the camera manually... which involved aiming some flashlights and just hoping that the pics would come out after the flash went off. I took some of the pics of Caly and even with modern equipment it was super super hard to get a decent pic. But the older ones of Scott are just beautiful.

I am going to have to get my MIL to let me scan those and show you. I want to make sure they're saved for posterity.
thebigscott
thebigscott

Back to top Go down

Post by Sharon Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:13 am

OMG trax 40 years good for you --that was very nice that you sent a pic and the tree to your family members- how far did you get back too??? and I thought 6 years were bad enough and still not finished...

Chelle--good for you that you did your tree!! Sorry everything was lost-- I think losing pic's would be one of the hardest items to loose... If your great great grandfather was from boston maybe the Waltham Ma libray can help you out --online or something--
speaking of us Yankees(LOL) when we went on vaction to texas --the porter that helped bring the bags to our bus to get the rent a car.. Asked where were from since I guess my boston accent is really heavy(Very southy-boston sometimes depends on the words) and when my daughter told him --he said your a long way from Kennedy country(LOL) We had never heard it but quite like that b-4... Then he asked me to say Park the car in havard yard-- of course I said it but with no R sound... (LOL) My husband is from New york his accent is little different from mine sometimes he will come out with at certain word and I burst out laughing (like the color mauve) and I have customers from R.I you should hear them coffee it's a hoot......coreffee
Quick question for ya-- at some of the resturants we ate in Texas on the table there were peanuts and they were spicey peanuts -my husband was talking about them the other day how he loved them and we brought like 4 bags home with us -- were do you buy them??? For some reason Steak and Ale rings a bell ( the resturant which I loved we don't have any in this area-in fact never seen one excpet Texas)
The bigscott---Those pic's sound wonderful.... I can see why those would be a favorite... In the spring I am taking my cubscouts caving...

Last edited by Sharon on Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:22 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : addin mre to it)
Sharon
Sharon
In Need of a Life
In Need of a Life

Back to top Go down

Post by trax Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:29 pm

Well, I started my family tree at a young age. We (my family) received a letter from Texas addressed to my Grandfather who at the time had been dead for a few years. I went from there and met some fine people throughout the entire process thereof (and still do). Together we have dated to when the brothers come over on the boat; around 16?? (I would go look it up but I am exhausted from snow shovelling).

As a further note to researching ones' family tree. With the onset of the internet came a wealth of information for those wanting to research their family trees. With the internet also came adoption agencies for individual searching for the birth mother/father/parents. Careful to what you ask for when you are searching as you can (as I did) find information that rightfully was laid to rest 50 years ago.

In Canada - the provinces of Ontario and British Columbia (could be others too) have opened the adoption records - naturallly, for a price. An adoptee can apply for records held. However, that is not saying the birth mother/father will necessarily want the records to be open. The final word will come from the birth mother/father not the adoptee in question.
trax
trax

Back to top Go down

Post by chelle Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:46 pm

sharon,
I dont know, I mean we do have resturants that put peanuts (pronounced PEE-nuts Smile ) on the table, you throw the hulls on the floor, But each one is differnt.. Smile

I have never ate at a stake and ale... ??

of course the bestest thing in Texas is Blue Bell ice cream. You CAN have it sent to you by fedex. Its expensive, but OHHHH so good Smile

LOL

and I tried years ago to go through the catholic church, and a few other places to find info on him.

But I was wrong, it wasnt boston, it was balitmore.

was born in 1869 in Baltimore, Maryland.

ALl I know was he was a prize fighter (fought in Madison Square Garden), he was from a rich family, they belonged to a yacht club, he used to swim in the ocean, His brother was in the Army, and stationed here in Texas for a spell, (chasing after.... oh hell, that famous mexican bandito.... poncho villa I think) He ran away at an early age, came to Texas working on the railroad, and grew up in a house where he could see the harbor....???

But there is LITERLY NOTHING on this man... ??
chelle
chelle

Back to top Go down

Post by chelle Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:00 pm

But your right, y'all do talk funny. I have an uncle and cousins who live in Nantucket. I cant understand half of what they say! LOL
chelle
chelle

Back to top Go down

Post by WhtTigress Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:53 pm

I grew up in Texas, the thing I miss most is sour pickles... When I tell people about them they say "you mean dill?".. NO... I mean SOUR pickles geez. I did find them online though. I'll have to order some next time I run out. My dad is my current supplier.. Smile
WhtTigress
WhtTigress
Worker Bee
Worker Bee

Number of posts : 105
Honeycomb : Level 6 - Sweet Bee
Registration date : 2008-05-30

Back to top Go down

Post by trax Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:39 pm

Chelle - have you contacted MSG, they should have records of fights from the past - $ made. Working on the railroad - they would have records too. It is surprising how many records were actually kept. Also, to note; army/navy/any military records were kept. You can write them direct.
trax
trax

Back to top Go down

Post by Missy Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:20 pm

My Mom has been working on the family history for about 15 years or so. She has been able to trace her side of the family back to Henry the 8th days, king and I guess my family has something to do with him, but I can't remember what. My father's side of the family is a little harder because getting any info from them is like pulling teeth. I am lucky if they ever tell me anything about my own father!

But as far as pictures, my favorite, I will post here for you all to see, as I have it uploaded. It is of my Daddy and I when I was a baby. Makes me tear up just to look at it. Crying or Very sad

FAMILY..... Meanddaddy
Missy
Missy

Number of posts : 2031
Honeycomb : Level 6- The Abyss
Registration date : 2008-04-25

http://www.cafemom.com/home/missmissy

Back to top Go down

Post by thebigscott Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:50 pm

It's beautiful.
thebigscott
thebigscott

Back to top Go down

Post by edbson Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:43 pm

I had my family tree traced back to 1210 on my Dad's side, and 1435 on my Mom's side. I learned alot of things about my Grandparents that I did not want to know, kinda scary really...But I leanred a lot of good stuff too.
edbson
edbson

Number of posts : 5916
Honeycomb : Level 6~ the abyss,
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post by chelle Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:34 pm

LOL erin!

any of your people from San Augustine County? Shelby? etc?

Thats where mine and DH's are from. That and Jasper Co. 98% of BR and my ancesters came in through Georgia on the same wagon trains. LOL I kid you not, 150 years ago and his and my folks were side by side. LOL

Yes, we are 5th cousins, twice. 6 cousins once, and past that, multiple kin. LOL
chelle
chelle

Back to top Go down

Post by tara Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:57 pm

I've never done anything of the sort, wouldn't even know where to start. I am intrigued.
tara
tara

Number of posts : 6833

http://www.mythirtyone.com/taras/

Back to top Go down

Post by edbson Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:56 pm

chelle wrote:LOL erin!

any of your people from San Augustine County? Shelby? etc?

Thats where mine and DH's are from. That and Jasper Co. 98% of BR and my ancesters came in through Georgia on the same wagon trains. LOL I kid you not, 150 years ago and his and my folks were side by side. LOL

Yes, we are 5th cousins, twice. 6 cousins once, and past that, multiple kin. LOL

No, ON my Dad's side they are all from Spain, Black Irish, and Coonass....My Grandfather was the first to be born in the US. On my Mom's side, just plain old Coonass, and Cherokee, with some Navajo, and coushatta for spice.
edbson
edbson

Number of posts : 5916
Honeycomb : Level 6~ the abyss,
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Sharon Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:23 am

Missy very nice pic ----it is Beauitful....
Sharon
Sharon
In Need of a Life
In Need of a Life

Back to top Go down

Post by Sharon Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:52 am

Chelle ---- I just remember being in a resturant in on the River walk and my hubby and my nephew where chowing those peanuts ..

I think steak and Ale is in Dallas --if I remember right ...

We went to Texas for 3 weeks won the trip through the Family circle magazine it was a 5 day trip to to the River Walk and six flags and we stayed at the menger hotel next to the Alamo .. My husband and I figured what the heck since we already had the free airfare to Texas we might as well go see most of the state since when do you ever when a Free trip-- We went to Dallas -houston -San antiono --- Then over to Mexico --to South Lardero (spelling) --just over the border that was really fun...

We had gone in the month of Oct it was about 10 years ago and done there it was a Big storm that had hit and there Trucks still stuck in mud on the side of the road... My kids went trick or treating in some really fancy neighborhood in Dallas (the hotel clerk told us to go there) and half of the candy was mexican candy and the folks at the doors kept asking my daughter and my nephew about out accent (which of course to us we don't have one) LOL-- Then we put the candy on the desk and the next day it was moving--Since the storm had just hit b-4 we came down the hotel was having a red ant promblem and of course my nephew dumped the candy on the bed and the bed was moving--So we had to move rooms and we got 5 days at the hotel for free..My nephew was screaming over his and my daughter candy -since we it was all ruined --so the manger went to the store and bought the kids --two gift cards to walmart to get new candy.. I have to say that was one of the best vactions we went on.. My nephew is now 18 and we did a scrapbbok while he was on that trip it was his homework since he was gone for 3 weeks he still looks at the book.. I think that Texas is a very pretty state -- By the end os the trip My husband was yearning for seafood (LOL) -- The thing I remeber most of that vaction was when we got off the plane there was this man and he was dressed in cow-boy -boots and a hat--and my Nephew just got off the plane and he just had to carry the red losbter stuffed animal everywhere he went that says Boston on it and the man Looked at nephew and said it this with his Texan Voice that boooming and said Welcome to texas Darling and Danny asked where his horse was (LOL)

Nantucket is really nice the beaches are MINT there!!!!
Sharon
Sharon
In Need of a Life
In Need of a Life

Back to top Go down

Post by Sharon Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:16 am

With my family tree my great great grandparents were gassed in a concetation camp for aiding the jews... They were calothic and they owned a pon shop and the jews used to come to them and they would sell there stuff to them and my grand parents would end up giving them for the most part than more thanwhat the items were worth -(so they could get out of poland) My great grandmother got on the boat when she was 18 just 2 weeks b-4 hitler came with the aid of the polish mafia --then her parents where suppossed to get on the next boat and never made it... My great grandmother met her husband on the boat got married on the boat and had a truck filled with items (which the trunk is in my living room) the items where to be sold in boston to start there life there and then her parents were to come they never made it and my great grand father had like 10 thousand dollars on him (no word of a lie) and my grand mother(great) never had to sell the items.. There still in the safety deposit box -now just in a diffrent bank.. I wore one of the necklaces to my prom and then years later had it appreaised it I almost dropped dead when I found out what it was worth... Now that necklace will go to my daughter and My son has a pcoket watch.. In the 11th grade I did a prestation on it and my Mom was crying back then I did not understand (like I do now) as sick as was what went on during the war the germans kept really good records and My uncle Walter has the papers from the camp they were in.. I tell my kids this but there still to little to understand it all... So my daughter middle name is Blanche -- I was going to name her Blanche but figured she might get picked on so Named her Sarah Blanche... So she is the 4th Blanche -My mom was blanche my grandmother was blanche her grandmother was blanche and her great gradmother in the camp was a Blanche (neat but sad)... I think that is wonderful that you guys have done your family tree's

oh and where the trunk is in my living room above it is a pic from germany from My husband family they were from germany --how Ironic -- I married a german ...
Sharon
Sharon
In Need of a Life
In Need of a Life

Back to top Go down

Post by chelle Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:35 am

That is so neat nd so heartbreaking Sharon!

Erin, I have one branch that went from the border to here. They were kinda outlaws, It was the Bass's. They were kinda outlaws, part indian.

Tara, try the LDS website, and then roots web. Ancestry.com is wayyy too expenvsie. The best thing to do is get a rough outline, then do your OWN research, many folks put alot of false info out there. or steal the wrong thing.. LOL
chelle
chelle

Back to top Go down

Post by Sharon Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:46 am

Tara--- I started with asking my grandmother on my dad's side --well that's the only grandmother I have left and I pumped her for names and wrote down all the names she could think of and then went from there.. Then asked aunts and Uncle's and asked questions on what they could remember for names,, Then hit the web and the Watham Ma libary and Ancesrty.com -Chelle is right it is pricey -but you get free trial -- I think it is 3 months but quote me on that it has been awhile since I have used it,,

Rootsweb thanks for the info --chelle
Sharon
Sharon
In Need of a Life
In Need of a Life

Back to top Go down

Post by bizzeedee Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:14 am

While researching my Mom's family, I found my great Grandpa, Michael McElroy had shot and killed his son's father-in-law. After running (horse and wagon) from the townspeople, he was apprehended and put in jail. Trial eventually, and he got off. It was all over a house that G Grandpa was living in that belonged to the man he shot, supposedly it was an accident. You know point the gun to scare and oops! too late.

It was such a hoot to find and follow the story in the newspapers from the late 1800s (the big Library in Lansing MI has a wonderful genealogy section with gobs of mircro film so access to papers was easy.

My Mother had passed away before I found out this part of our history. When I told my Aunt, Mom's youngest sister, she denied that her grand had shot and killed a person. Even when I showed her the copies of the newspaper. She was in total denial until the day she died.

I had such fun digging and finding out all kinds of interesting stuff about my family, I was just sorry that most of the great stuff I found was after my parents had passed away, things I'm sure they never even knew!

DH and I became grave chasers... found and photographed so many ancestors final resting spots. And made connections with people in other states who helped me with research in their state while I was able to help them with research in mine.

I haven't checked lately, but with Ancestory.com, their free trial never used to be for more than 14 days. You can pay for service one month at a time.

Best overall genealogy site is rootsweb.com -- people from all over have combined soures, trees, lots and lots of information...
bizzeedee
bizzeedee

Number of posts : 4243
Honeycomb : Sweet Bee ~ Level 6 ~

Back to top Go down

Post by chelle Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:50 pm

I took my kids to so many graveyards before they were in school. Before they could do more than walk and talk they could identify family names, and would holler across an old abandoned cemetary "HEY MOM! I found one!!"

To this day if we go to a funeral, when its over they go and look at the graves, then try to rememeber all the names we are connectd to! LOL
chelle
chelle

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next