Unofficial Bzz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I may have a busy summer

2 posters

Go down

I may have a busy summer Empty I may have a busy summer

Post by thebigscott Fri May 07, 2010 1:45 pm

Lexington is about an hour away once you take traffic into account, but I may have to go there every week this summer. Just got this e-mail from the Kentucky Theatre in Lexington. Looks like Wednesdays are going to be date night!

Kentucky Theatre
214 East Main St.
Lexington KY

SUMMER CLASSICS SERIES 2010
Showings every Wednesday at 1:30 and 7:15 All Seats $4.00 All Films in 35mm Your Host: Bill Widener Pre-Show Music: Provided by the Mighty Wurlitzer Project
Sponsor: WUKY - NPR ROCKS 91.3

We have lots of new and special prints this summer, PLUS the return of the classic serial. These chapter plays were a huge hit when we ran them before (BATMAN, THE SHADOW, etc), but couldn't find the right one to continue the tradition. This year...FOUND IT! We tracked down the original 1936 FLASH GORDON serial starring Buster Crabbe, utilizing an archive 35mm print from a video company in Asheville NC. We'll show one chapter each Wednesday for the first thirteen weeks of the Classics Series. Hope you get some thrills, chills, and excitement from this rare discovery.

Wed. 5/26
Steven Spielberg's RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK (1981) - Harrison Ford is the quintessential contemporary action hero. Since Spielberg and Lucas based the Indiana Jones sagas on the action serials of the 1930s, what better film to start off the 2010 series, and the showing of the FLASH GORDON serial (Chapter 1: THE PLANET OF PERIL.)

Wed. 6/2
Alfred Hitchcock's REBECCA (1940) - Joan Fontaine and Laurence Olivier star in this classic mystery from the Daphne du Maurier novel. We have a 35mm archive print coming from the Disney vault.
Plus: FLASH GORDON (Chapter 2: THE TUNNEL OF TERROR.

Wed. 6/9
Mike Nichol's THE GRADUATE (1967) - A groundbreaking piece of cinema in every sense of the word, and the one that made Dustin Hoffman a star. With Anne Bancroft, Katherine Ross, Murray Hamilton, and William Daniels; not to mention songs by Simon and Garfunkel. Reasonably new 35mm CinemaScope print. Plus: FLASH GORDON (Chapter 3: CAPTURED BY THE SHARK MEN).

Wed. 6/16
Victor Fleming's THE WIZARD OF OZ (1939) - Sure, we've played it before, but it's one of everyone's favorite films, so here's another chance to see it on the big screen. Plus: FLASH GORDON (Chapter 4: BATTLING THE SEA BEAST).

Wed. 6/23
Otto Preminger's LAURA (1944) - Classic film noir with a great cast (Gene Tierney, Dana Andrews, Clifton Webb, Vincent Price, and Judith Anderson) and an even greater theme song composed by David Raksin. Plus: FLASH GORDON (Chapter 5: THE DESTROYING RAY.

Wed. 6/30
Elia Kazan's WILD RIVER (1960) - One of Kazan's top three films (if not his best), this tale of the beginnings of the Tennessee Valley Authority during the depression is visually and dramatically stunning. Montgomery Clift, Lee Remick, Jo Van Fleet, and a young, uncredited Bruce Dern star. This is a new, restored 35mm CinemaScope print. Plus: FLASH GORDON (Chapter 6: FLAMING TORTURE).

Wed. 7/7
Morton DaCosta's THE MUSIC MAN (1962) - First series showing for this wonderful piece of both Americana and musical theatre. You'll be singing the songs all the way home! With Robert Preston, Shirley Jones, Paul Ford, and a very young Ron Howard. Plus: FLASH GORDON (Chapter 7: SHATTERING DOOM).

Wed. 7/14
William Wyler's ROMAN HOLIDAY (1953) - Wyler's charming film about a European princess and an American writer won Audrey Hepburn her only Oscar. With Gregory Peck and Eddie Albert. Plus: FLASH GORDON (Chapter 8: TOURNAMENT OF DEATH).

Wed. 7/21
Science Fiction Double Feature...in 3D!! Don't miss CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON (1953) and IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE (1953), both starring Richard Carlson, directed by Jack Arnold, and from the Universal 50s fantasy factory. Great fun! Plus: FLASH GORDON (Chapter 9: FIGHTING THE FIRE DRAGON).

Wed. 7/28
Sorry...couldn't resist!! Mike Hodges' FLASH GORDON (1980) is an eye-popping take on the original featuring Sam Jones, Melody Anderson and Max Von Sydow. Not to mention sporting an ear-popping score by Queen! Plus: FLASH GORDON (Chapter 10: THE UNSEEN PERIL).

Wed. 8/4
Back By Popular Demand! Edward Dmytryk's RAINTREE COUNTY (1957) filmed in Danville, starring Elizabeth Taylor, Montgomery Clift, Eva Marie Saint and Lee Marvin. Plus: FLASH GORDON (Chapter 11: IN THE CLAWS OF THE TIGRON).

Wed. 8/11
Nicholas Ray's IN A LONELY PLACE (1950) - Sensational, legendary film noir about a screenwriter who may or may not be a killer.
Humphrey Bogart gives one of his greatest performances and is matched scene for scene by 50s favorite, Gloria Grahame. This is a new, restored 35mm print. Plus: FLASH GORDON (Chapter 12: TRAPPED IN THE TURRET).

Wed. 8/18
Another favorite returns! Robert Stevenson's MARY POPPINS (1964) - Many consider this to be Julie Andrews' revenge/consolation for being snubbed by the producers of the film version of MY FAIR LADY.
She won the Oscar for POPPINS, while Audrey Hepburn wasn't even nominated for LADY. Plus...the final chapter of FLASH GORDON (Chapter
13: ROCKETING TO EARTH).

Wed. 8/25
Fred Zinnemann's FROM HERE TO ETERNITY (1953) - It's a new, digitally remastered 35mm print for this lusty WWII saga set in Pearl Harbor. The great cast includes Burt Lancaster, Deborah Kerr, Montgomery Clift, Donna Reed (Oscar winner) and Frank Sinatra (also an Oscar winner).

Wed. 9/1
Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger's THE RED SHOES (1948) - One of the most dazzling films ever about ballet, and one of the most dazzling films ever shot it Technicolor. This is the restored 35mm print that has been unspooling in major cities this year.

Wed. 9/8
Bob Rafelson's FIVE EASY PIECES (1970) - This showcase for the talents of Jack Nicholson is one of the best films from one of cinema's best decades. We're showing a new, digitally remastered 35mm print.

Wed. 9/15
Howard Hawks' GENTLEMEN PREFER BLONDES (1952) - Songs, dances, laughs, oh...and let's not forget Jane Russell and Marilyn Monroe in their prime in another 35mm digital restoration.

Wed. 9/22
F.W. Murnau's SUNRISE (1927) - We end the 2010 series by showing one of the great silent classics, with orchestral soundtrack. It's an outstanding dramatic film starring Janet Gaynor (one of the biggest stars of the 1920s and 30s) and George O'Brien. And yes, it too boasts a new 35mm restored print.

There are films representing each decade from th 1920s through the 1980s, and all shown in 35mm. Bring your friends, bring your relatives...you'll all have a good time at the Kentucky's Summer Classics Series.

Kentucky Theatre, 214 E. Main Street, Lexington, KY 40507, USA

To unsubscribe or change subscriber options visit:
http://www.aweber.com/z/r/?zEzMHEzMtMwcnEwcbJwMtEa0bBwsHExsHA==
thebigscott
thebigscott
Really Not Getting Much Done Around the House

Number of posts : 9214
Honeycomb : Level 6 ~ Sweet Bee
Registration date : 2008-03-10

http://messierobjects.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

I may have a busy summer Empty Re: I may have a busy summer

Post by bizzeedee Fri May 07, 2010 7:25 pm

OMG what I wouldn't do to live just an hour from Lexington to be able to see those old flims... for just 4 bucks? Stellar. Just today, I was thinking about the movie, the Graduate (67) as Mrs Robinson played on my MP3
and Five Easy Pieces... Rebecca, not sure I ever saw it, but do remember as a teen reading the novel... and so many of the others...

Hope you can find/schedule several to go to... what are your picks?
bizzeedee
bizzeedee

Number of posts : 4243
Honeycomb : Sweet Bee ~ Level 6 ~

Back to top Go down

Post by thebigscott Sat May 08, 2010 12:37 am

Almost all of them interest me to some degree. And I love the idea of the Flash Gordon serial. But I know I won't be able to go to all of them. It's a beautiful theatre too. You get a different experience there than you get at a modern one.
thebigscott
thebigscott

Number of posts : 9214
Honeycomb : Level 6 ~ Sweet Bee

http://messierobjects.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content