Unofficial Bzz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Home remedies??

+4
thebigscott
tara
Lucky
Missy
8 posters

Go down

Home remedies?? Empty Home remedies??

Post by Missy Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:43 pm

I know, I know. It is one thing after another with my health... but anyways. Yesterday morning, i woke up so itchy and yucky. When i got out of bed, I noticed that I had raised red bumps all over my arms, chest and belly. Quick call to my Mom and search on WebMD, told me that I had broken out in hives, had an allergic reaction to something. So I thought.. what has been new? Laundry detergent. Over the weekend we had bought a detergent that I have never used and washed our clothes in it, but Wednesday night was the first night I put something on (shirt and bra) that had been washed in it. I do have sensitive skin (fair skinned Irish girl), but I never realized it was this sensitive! ((I did return the detergent and fabric sheets-which were also new to use-and when they asked why, I showed them my arm and got my refund, No problems))

So, I am wondering if anyone has any home remedies that they may suggest to help me from itching and being miserable. I am taking Benedryl, and have an anti-itching cream that I have used. I did take a bath in warm water that felt nice, until a few hours later when my skin dried. lol I am doing all I can to keep from itching, but it is driving me insane!

I have broken out in hives before, but the last time I did, I was about 4 years old or so. I was allergic to Tylenol. I have grown out of that now. And if I do not see an improvement by Monday morning, then I will be calling the DR to be seen, but in the meantime I need some comfort. I did read that if it gets even worse, or if I can not breathe, to go to the ER, so Tim and I are ready if that happens, but I hope not.
Missy
Missy
Really Not Getting Much Done Around the House

Number of posts : 2031
Honeycomb : Level 6- The Abyss
Registration date : 2008-04-25

http://www.cafemom.com/home/missmissy

Back to top Go down

Home remedies?? Empty Re: Home remedies??

Post by Lucky Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:52 pm

A bath in Aveeno is what I keep in the house for just such an occasion (also fair skinned half Irish girl). I take Bendryl and Tylenol together. Lotions will irritate unless it is cortisone. Not all anti-itch creams are the same. Some have pain relief in them.
Lucky
Lucky

Number of posts : 1488
Honeycomb : 6 infinity
Registration date : 2008-05-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucky Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:53 pm

Oh yeah...wear light clothes and keep yourself cool. If you get warm you will itch more!
Lucky
Lucky

Back to top Go down

Post by tara Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:53 pm

keep moisturized... oatmeal baths are nice. Drying out your skin makes it worse and more itchy. I swear by Aveeno, and use Aveeno anti itch on hives. My legs itch at night. It's like clockwork year round, every night no matter where I am my legs itch like crazy come 8 pm. I scratch them so bad in my sleep and don't even realize I am doing it until my sheets are all bloody. The best thing that has worked for me is taking Zyrtec at times when I know it's going to be worse than normal. I hope someone has more ideas, I would love to hear them. Good luck Very Happy
tara
tara

Number of posts : 6833
Registration date : 2008-03-10

http://www.mythirtyone.com/taras/

Back to top Go down

Post by thebigscott Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:00 pm

Missy, if you end up at the doctor's they can give you steriods that will work fast and keep it away. My mom gets reactions from time to time. As for home remedies, I prefer ibuprofen to tylenol because it's better at bringing down swelling. You can also try hydrocortizone cream.
thebigscott
thebigscott

Number of posts : 9214
Honeycomb : Level 6 ~ Sweet Bee

http://messierobjects.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by BeachyBum Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:55 pm

Yep, do as everyone says Smile

I can break out in hives under my arms when I use Tide ....... pain in the arse till I figured out what it was. I feel for you Sad
BeachyBum
BeachyBum
In Need of a 12 Step Program

Number of posts : 791
Honeycomb : Sweet Bee ~ Level 6 ~ 2 Golden Keys ~ Bzzing since 2003
Registration date : 2008-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Missy Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:03 am

Lucky wrote:Oh yeah...wear light clothes and keep yourself cool. If you get warm you will itch more!

I found that out the hard way earlier. I put on a sweatshirt to cover my arms, so that Timmy's teacher did not freik out if she saw my arms, and it was so warm in his classroom. I didn't care when i picked him up, I wanted to not be lousy anymore!

I will have to go looking for Aveeno. I know the stores carry it, but not sure the price. Any guestimates? Would this be considered something that the FSA (Flexible Spending Account) would cover? Just to know, so that we make sure to turn the receipt in right away to Tim's work.

How would I do an oatmeal bath? Like it says? Just dump a couple packets of oatmeal (that is what I have right now) in the bath with me?

I do have some ibuprofen... will give that a try before bed.

It had spread to my legs, so now it hurts when i get up after sitting for any amount of time. So frustrating! Sad
Missy
Missy

Back to top Go down

Post by Rebecca1340 Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:54 am

Aveeno or similar generic oatmeal bath product and antihistimines. As a fair skinned part Scandanavian part Irish/English/Scottish girl I feel your pain!
Oh and be careful getting out of the tub after using the oatmeal bath -- the tub will probably be slippery!
Rebecca1340
Rebecca1340
Admin

Number of posts : 6118
Honeycomb : Slowly sinking deeper into the Abyss

http://bzzz.heavenforum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucky Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:23 am

Oatmeal that you eat is very rough, that's why I buy the Aveeno, it's already ground. Most all stores Walgreens, CVS should have a store brand generic that should work well. If you really want to use regular oatmeal here's all you have to do:

http://babyparenting.about.com/cs/healthissues/a/oatmealbath.htm
Lucky
Lucky

Back to top Go down

Post by Missy Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:41 pm

Well, i am quite lucky. Was not itchy today, and the hives have gone down significantly. I will not be going to the clinic tomorrow, but when i do talk to the DR for my next appt, I will mention them to her, so she knows what had happened. Thanks all for the advice and info!
Missy
Missy

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucky Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:14 pm

Glad to hear it!
Lucky
Lucky

Back to top Go down

Post by amybeccaz Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:33 am

I'm late to this ... but to do an oatmeal bath, get a knee hi (like pantyhose), and pour some oatmeal in it, then tie a knot and throw it in the bathtub. VERY cheap to do, and it helped me when I had hives as well.
amybeccaz
amybeccaz

Number of posts : 621
Registration date : 2008-04-12

http://www.twocuteblondies.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by thebigscott Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:10 am

Oh that's a SMART idea!
thebigscott
thebigscott

Number of posts : 9214
Honeycomb : Level 6 ~ Sweet Bee

http://messierobjects.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by honcho Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:11 pm

My daughter (fair hair & skin) is also sensitive. She has dry skin and gets hives & diaper rashes easily. Her ped said to put a 1/4 cup of baking soda in her bath water. Said it would be soothing and help with the itch.
honcho
honcho
In Need of a Life
In Need of a Life

Number of posts : 461
Honeycomb : Sweet Bee
Registration date : 2008-04-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down