Unofficial Bzz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone live in a manufactured or modular home?

+5
trax
Lori
Rebecca1340
BeachyBum
edbson
9 posters

Go down

Anyone live in a manufactured or modular home? Empty Anyone live in a manufactured or modular home?

Post by edbson Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:26 am

Dh and I have been arguing about building a new house for several months. We have argued about floor plans, size, construction, you name it, even the type of windows. Anyway, after doing some research, and actually finding one we BOTH liked, we have decided on either a manufactered home, or a modular home.
So far we only have pros...and possibly one con, here they are

Con: could possibly be "deed or zoning restricted", which could cause us to not buy either, although we have done our research and Houston is the only city in the state that can enforce deed restrictions.

Pros: Manufactured is already built, a done deal, no waiting
Modular is built, nd delivered, and put togehter like Lego's in a matter of 8-12 weeks. almost a done deal
They both cost less than a traditional stick built home, Manufactured is $35-55 sq ft, modular is $55-75...stick built is $100+ sq foot.

So give me some cons, costs, or even "why I hate this place"???
edbson
edbson

Number of posts : 5916
Honeycomb : Level 6~ the abyss,
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Back to top Go down

Anyone live in a manufactured or modular home? Empty Re: Anyone live in a manufactured or modular home?

Post by BeachyBum Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:29 am

Con: they attract tornadoes and have to be evacuated for bad weather ...

My mom lives in one, this seems to be the only drawback ....
BeachyBum
BeachyBum
In Need of a 12 Step Program

Number of posts : 791
Honeycomb : Sweet Bee ~ Level 6 ~ 2 Golden Keys ~ Bzzing since 2003
Registration date : 2008-06-07

Back to top Go down

Anyone live in a manufactured or modular home? Empty Re: Anyone live in a manufactured or modular home?

Post by edbson Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:32 am

We rarely have tornadoes, but we do have hurricanes from time to time....alot of them lately.
edbson
edbson

Back to top Go down

Post by BeachyBum Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:36 am

Mobile/modular homes are usually a mandatory evacuation for a hurricane watch. She had to come here the other night .....
BeachyBum
BeachyBum

Back to top Go down

Post by edbson Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:42 am

We don't have mandatory evacuation, we only have recommended...they cannot force us to leave. We actually don't get many storms, we have had more in the last 3 years than in the last 25.
edbson
edbson

Back to top Go down

Post by BeachyBum Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:44 am

Everything here is always mandatory Sad
Well, for those on the island and those in manufactured homes anyway ....

If you don't have too many storms, and no tornadoes, that's a huge PRO Smile
BeachyBum
BeachyBum

Back to top Go down

Post by Rebecca1340 Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:46 am

The modular ones here are cheap looking and don't stand up to the weather. They require constant maintanance and people freeze all winter in them. I don't think they stay too cool in the summer either.
Rebecca1340
Rebecca1340
Admin

Number of posts : 6118
Honeycomb : Slowly sinking deeper into the Abyss
Registration date : 2008-03-10

http://bzzz.heavenforum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lori Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:48 am

My in-laws live in a premanufactured home. That thing is SOLID. They did a lot of research and went with a specific company that was supposed to be the best. If you want me to I'll call and ask her the brand.
Lori
Lori

Number of posts : 8682
Honeycomb : Sweet Bee, Level 6
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Lori Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:50 am

Oh, I thought of one "con", if you want to call it that. It does have textured walls inside. Not a real heavy texture, but it does take more paint when it's time to repaint. It looks very nice, though.
Lori
Lori

Back to top Go down

Post by edbson Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:57 am

I would like to know the company, if they don't mind.
We did find that you can get them "prefinished" meaning, dried in and we do the finish work. SO texture and paint, drywall etc would be up to me. I can do drywall and flooring myself, so that's not a problems and we would save money.
I have enough walnut crown molding to finish several houses out of it, my uncle works for a cabinet shop and brings me all kinds of crap.....
I DO Like the floor plans of one particular manufactured home company, I think it ic Champion, or Clark....cannot remember
edbson
edbson

Back to top Go down

Post by trax Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:14 pm

What about insurance/fire protection?

One important item to investigate (whether home or modular) look at the pipes. If anywhere you see made in China - do not purchase.
trax
trax
Really Not Getting Much Done Around the House

Number of posts : 1470
Honeycomb : In Hold Mode - Level 6
Registration date : 2008-04-04

Back to top Go down

Post by tara Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:15 pm

Possible high homeowners insurance premiums, since they tend not to be as 'fire/weather proof' but that will vary by region and company anyway.

I don;t like the cheap materials some use, but again that varies. Just be sure the materials used will hold up in your region. That said I could probably move into a tent in the back yard and it would be more energy efficient than my tiny charming 140 year old house.
tara
tara

Number of posts : 6833

http://www.mythirtyone.com/taras/

Back to top Go down

Post by tara Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:16 pm

Trax beat me too it but I spent all that time typing, I sent it anyway, lol.
tara
tara

Number of posts : 6833

http://www.mythirtyone.com/taras/

Back to top Go down

Post by Honey Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:45 pm

I live in a double wide. Can't say if it is modular or manufactured though, as I was told they are the same thing. Ours came in two pieces and was assembled here. We built piers to put it on (hubby is a contractor himself), but if you can afford it, build a slab. My husband claims they are well built now and we have had ours for about 10 years or so now. He is a perfectionist as a builder and has built very expensive homes, so if he says they are well built these days, then I beleive they are (some brands at least).The brand name of ours is Sunshine. They are usually very well insulated, but they are built different for different climates so you have to check that. If you order yours, you can specify how much you want it insulated, as well as many other things. As for insurance, it is not high but it will be lower if you put it on a permanent foundation and make it non-movable. Ours still has skirting, which I hate, but we have also added an addition on the back making it unable to ever be moved again. Hubby built on another bedroom and put a storm shelter under it. One day we hope to build a nice foundation built and remove the skirting.
Honey
Honey

Number of posts : 1859
Honeycomb : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by edbson Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:50 pm

A double wide would be a manufactured home, Modular homes are the same as regular homes, just built off site, so cheaper.
We would be putting it on a slab, actually already have the slab done, we have all the water sewer stuff done, so that is a huge expense that we won't have........there was a house there previously.
The insurance is not an issue, it would be about the same as it is now for our house...I did already check on that.

I am glad everyone seems happy with them, since I was convinced I would hate it once we moved in.
edbson
edbson

Back to top Go down

Post by Lori Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:36 pm

edbson wrote:A double wide would be a manufactured home, Modular homes are the same as regular homes, just built off site, so cheaper.
We would be putting it on a slab, actually already have the slab done, we have all the water sewer stuff done, so that is a huge expense that we won't have........there was a house there previously.
The insurance is not an issue, it would be about the same as it is now for our house...I did already check on that.

I am glad everyone seems happy with them, since I was convinced I would hate it once we moved in.

Oops, per your definitions the in-laws live in a modular home. It was built by Wisconsin Homes. And like I said, it is one solid home.
Lori
Lori

Back to top Go down

Post by trax Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:59 pm

Oops, I should have added - in Canada only. Fire regulations/insurance vary from metro to non metro.

When purchasing a home, several major items that should be looked at are forgotten because you are so overwhelmed with the fact of moving.

Start a list:

1. Look at the pipes - made in China - do not purchase - you will have to replace.
2. Ask for the history of the home, zoning.
3. If you are set on purchasing a home, pack a lunch, go and sit near by for an afternoon.
Learn the neighborhood.
4. Much differs from one is rural or city. Rural - well, septic, power. The basics.
trax
trax

Back to top Go down

Post by edbson Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:02 pm

trax wrote:Oops, I should have added - in Canada only. Fire regulations/insurance vary from metro to non metro.

When purchasing a home, several major items that should be looked at are forgotten because you are so overwhelmed with the fact of moving.

Start a list:

1. Look at the pipes - made in China - do not purchase - you will have to replace.
2. Ask for the history of the home, zoning.
3. If you are set on purchasing a home, pack a lunch, go and sit near by for an afternoon.
Learn the neighborhood.
4. Much differs from one is rural or city. Rural - well, septic, power. The basics.

They are built in Wisonsin or Georgia, or Louisiana so nothing foreign
It would be new, and right next door, so no history....we know the neighborhood, been here for 20 plus years. We found that they cannot enforce the deed restrictions legally, so I could put up a tin shack and live in it if I wanted to...

We have sewer and city water, already installed,....we are in the city limits, but unanexed, whatever that means...
edbson
edbson

Back to top Go down

Post by trax Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:19 pm

Yes, it is one to say something is manufactured in the USA. The question being where exactly are the components coming from?

I will give you an example. Piping. To make a long story short; if you see in a home anything 'made in China' get out. The material will not be with standing. It will fail.
trax
trax

Back to top Go down

Post by chelle Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:51 am

I wrote a huge long post. and it disapeared.

I wrote it, I pushed save, and its gone. when I get unpissed I will rewrite it.
chelle
chelle

Number of posts : 6471
Honeycomb : the abyss with keys that dont fit any locks

http://aretheyalseepyet.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by eat_a_cookies Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:19 pm

Prefab is actually different than modular. My stepdad sells modular homes, and he is in the process of building several developments in TX.

A modular home is actually made with about 1/3 more lumber than a regular site-built home, making it sturdier and more durable. And because they are constructed in segments in a warehouse, they are not exposed to the elements. Modular homes are also FEMA-approved. During a hurricane, a modular home will still be standing.

Most times, the people who sell prefab homes will want the potential buyer to think they are getting a modular home. This has done wonders negatively for the modular business - people get them confused all the time, and the benefits are modular homes are overwhelmed by the negatives of prefabs.
eat_a_cookies
eat_a_cookies
Queen Bee
Queen Bee

Number of posts : 249
Registration date : 2008-05-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down