Unofficial Bzz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Y'all think I am pickin when I say I live in the sticks

+8
Missy
wormbutt
Honey
tara
Rebecca1340
Lori
BeachyBum
chelle
12 posters

Go down

Y'all think I am pickin when I say I live in the sticks Empty Y'all think I am pickin when I say I live in the sticks

Post by chelle Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:21 am

Here is a story from our town. Its not quite 'the Darlins come to the big city' but I cant see it happenin anywhere else. LOL

http://news.mywebpal.com/news_tool_v2.cfm?show=localnews&pnpID=974&NewsID=921790&CategoryID=18335&on=1

and its gotta be at least a mile from point A to point B
chelle
chelle

Number of posts : 6471
Honeycomb : the abyss with keys that dont fit any locks
Registration date : 2008-03-10

http://aretheyalseepyet.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Y'all think I am pickin when I say I live in the sticks Empty Re: Y'all think I am pickin when I say I live in the sticks

Post by BeachyBum Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:55 am

LMAO Chelle!

Poor cow, she just wanted to play!
BeachyBum
BeachyBum
In Need of a 12 Step Program
In Need of a 12 Step Program

Number of posts : 791
Honeycomb : Sweet Bee ~ Level 6 ~ 2 Golden Keys ~ Bzzing since 2003
Registration date : 2008-06-07

Back to top Go down

Y'all think I am pickin when I say I live in the sticks Empty Re: Y'all think I am pickin when I say I live in the sticks

Post by Lori Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:44 am

Chelle, are you related to the officer that brought the cow to safety?
Lori
Lori

Number of posts : 8682
Honeycomb : Sweet Bee, Level 6
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Rebecca1340 Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:57 am

Hahaha! There was a cow pasture right next to the school yard when I was a kid. Every once in a while the cows would get out and we'd have to stay inside until they got them back into the pasture. I don't know why they'd bother keeping us in -- most of the kids lived on dairy farms and could have helped! Y'all think I am pickin when I say I live in the sticks 88315
Rebecca1340
Rebecca1340
Admin

Number of posts : 6118
Honeycomb : Slowly sinking deeper into the Abyss

http://bzzz.heavenforum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by tara Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:42 am

LMAO. I grew up a half mile from the highschool, while we are in the country, it is ( I still live on the same road just much further) a busy state highway. Anyway before the Indians bought everything and turned it into golf courses and drew in the PGA there was a dairy farm across the street from the school. Like Rebecca there were many occasions kids would look out and see cows swarming the buildings. AND they treated it like we were surrounded by rabid coyotes or terrorists.
tara
tara

Number of posts : 6833

http://www.mythirtyone.com/taras/

Back to top Go down

Post by chelle Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:00 am

LOL! I agree, y'all could have helped! Smile

Lori, this is my stock line. "NO! I aint a Byerly, I married a Byerly, and we are all intitled to one mistake in life... " everyone always laughs, and the majority of them say "yep, my grandmother/grandfather or my spouces grandmother/grandfather was a Byerly, so I know what you mean. " LOL

But the truthful statement is, yes its BR's cousin, no a close cousin, one we all grew up knowing like he was a smith from down the road, but BR's great grandfather was one of 15 living kids. Ted is the grandson of one. BR's dad a gradnson of another. (and the man who had 15 kids, he had like 8 brothers and sisters, THEY all had a passle of kids too.)
chelle
chelle

Back to top Go down

Post by Honey Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:18 am

I too live in the sticks and I could see this being a big story here too lol! Heck it was in the newspaper when one of my cats bit a guy that was here one day. He later had to get stitches and that is when it made the news lol! We had only been living here a few months, so I was rather shocked when a neighbor called to ask me about it because he read it in the paper affraid
Honey
Honey
Really Not Getting Much Done Around the House

Number of posts : 1859
Honeycomb : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by wormbutt Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:49 am

ROFL! this could be my town!

Twice in the past year cows have taken over the main road into town and we all went out for a round up...There is no town cop. The state sent troopers who haven't ever seen a cow, let alone round one. And last year, the school went on lock down twice for a bear on the playground.....

Thanks for the wonderful laugh this am!
wormbutt
wormbutt
Bzzing
Bzzing

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2008-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by chelle Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:54 am

LOL wormbutt,
after the huricanne that never was, BR and I were at my moms. She didnt have a generator so we took ours and shared (yes, I am a glutton for punishment).

well my FIL came schreetching up one day. Hollered at BR that the Fire Department was at the house, our horses were out.

We had JUST moved up on this hill. Noone had lived her for hundreds of years, and only had a travel trailer. Lots of folks actually thought this was national forrest. BUT our horses got out, and the VFD came up here. They called the sheriffs dept to find out who lived here. they said noone. so they checked our mail, got the name and went to my FIL (only my name was on anything n there). He tried to help them get our horses in and gave up, came to get BR.

we had a big horse, he was a stud, but acted like a puppy dog. then a mustang, he is SCARED of men. Noone but me or the kids can catch him and I can lead him around by his mane, he will rare up on a man in full halter and all, and a miniature/shetland cross.

BR came down here, they got the big horse and the mini in. But gaucho was still otu and refused to go in.

They had to come back and get ME. I came over, calmed him down and put him in. There was lots of VFD' people from all over the country, and a few of ours, but one of them was a New York transplant who had never touched a horse, and a few were just not horse savvy.

Come to find out, the mini got out, so they had stopped and caught him, walked him all the way around our 16 acres and got to the gate to let him back in. he is gentle (unless you are trying to take food AWAY, then he is a horses ass)
When they opened it the stud horse big assed them and they scattered like school girls. resulting in them letting all 3 horses loose. Star wouldnt have hurt them, but just ran up to the gate to greet his mini (they played like dogs), and it scared them, cause they had been behind the tree's, but following them walk all the way up, snorting and neighing and were excited to get him back IN the fence.

when BR got here he walked right up to star (the stud) and he followed him right in. Tapper the mini was a little harder, so they kinda made a big circle to push him in. But if he started running around some of them would scatter. I have owned dogs bigger than this horse.

and gaucho was too much. they would all freak when he would go near them and break the circle , so when I drove up, new york (thats what I call bill, the transplant) said "that little girl is going to catch a wild mustang?"
my father in law said, " I dont know, but since its 110 out here and we cant, I hope she does. "

Then they all thought I was nuts when I refused to take a halter and lead rope. he KNOWS what those mean, and wont come near you with one.
I had him almost caught a few times, then somene would step up with the lead rope and he would be gone again.
after about 5 minutes of talking and enticing with food, I reached up, grabbed his mane and led him in. he never even flintched.

To this day the local guys laugh about that. They said most times they dont like being shown up by a girl, but fiqure since my own hubby couldnt catch him they would admit they were defeated too.
chelle
chelle

Back to top Go down

Post by Missy Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:06 pm

lol... I would have loved to have seen all that chelle!

Nothing too exciting happens here, that I have read about. I live on the border of city and country. Rockford is the 3rd largest city in IL (that I read online, might be outdated though) but it is surrounded by country. Cindy Crawford grew up just south of here.
Missy
Missy

Number of posts : 2031
Honeycomb : Level 6- The Abyss
Registration date : 2008-04-25

http://www.cafemom.com/home/missmissy

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrlyte Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:14 pm

This cracks me up since the year we moved to our home, a cow got loose from our neighbors house. My husband, who grew up in Brooklyn, NY, called me in a panic and said, "What do I do??!!! There's a cow loose in our back yard!" I laughed and asked if he could get a bucket and milk it! He was not amused!!! In the end, I had him go to the neighbors and they coaxed it back home with hay. LOL!
Starrlyte
Starrlyte
In Need of a Life
In Need of a Life

Number of posts : 349
Registration date : 2008-04-04

Back to top Go down

Post by edbson Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:44 pm

Well, a cow is better then the last time jasper was in the news.

There is a stable right by the school here, and every once in a while a horse will get out, run around the football field and leave a gift. Half the kids in teh school know more about horses than the coaches, but they just chase the horses till they are worn out( the coaches, not the horses) and then some kid usually catches it and puts it back.
edbson
edbson

Number of posts : 5916
Honeycomb : Level 6~ the abyss,
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrlyte Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:38 pm

We live at the beginning of Amish Country (You know, like in the movie the Witness?). Anyway, there are presents all over town on a regular basis. Our Walmart and Lowe's actually have stables for Amish that are shopping there. I haven't heard any stories about cows at school from the kids, but there is a farm on the hill just below it that has cows, so I have no doubt it has happened! Like you, the kids probably know far more about farm animals than the teachers and coaches!!! LOL!
Starrlyte
Starrlyte
In Need of a Life
In Need of a Life

Number of posts : 349

Back to top Go down

Post by Lori Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:42 pm

All right, this reminds me of w hen my youngest was 2-3 years old. I was in one of the bedrooms organizing toys and he came in the room and said "The cows are in the road." I carried on doing what I had been doing and then started thinking a little. Finally I asked him what he said again and he said "The cows are in the road." Went to look and yep, the cows were walking down the road, the lot of them. Thank goodness they chose the house across the street to congregate at, because they left quite a few souvenirs behind.

We called the farmer and he came down with a hay wagon and lured them back home.
Lori
Lori

Back to top Go down

Post by trax Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:47 pm

Around here, cows 'free range'. From May until September they are everywhere. In yards, on the country road, everywhere. I was out in the flower patch about two weeks ago. I had the feeling something was staring at me, I turned around and here was the biggest bull I ever laid eyes on. It was huge! It just stood there and looked at me. I calmly went back up to the sundeck and then he finally turned around and went on his merry way. Sometimes when 15-20 cows arrive in your yard at one time, it is like an earthquake is taking place, they can make the earth rumble and leave one heck of a mess!
trax
trax

Number of posts : 1470
Honeycomb : In Hold Mode - Level 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Lori Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:56 pm

trax wrote:Around here, cows 'free range'. From May until September they are everywhere. In yards, on the country road, everywhere. I was out in the flower patch about two weeks ago. I had the feeling something was staring at me, I turned around and here was the biggest bull I ever laid eyes on. It was huge! It just stood there and looked at me. I calmly went back up to the sundeck and then he finally turned around and went on his merry way. Sometimes when 15-20 cows arrive in your yard at one time, it is like an earthquake is taking place, they can make the earth rumble and leave one heck of a mess!
That must have been so scary! My Grandma has birth and death records and I have a relative whose cause of death was "Gored by a bull."

Gives me shivers!
Lori
Lori

Back to top Go down

Post by trax Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:07 am

It was scary! Your poor relation, that would be a terrible death.
trax
trax

Number of posts : 1470
Honeycomb : In Hold Mode - Level 6

Back to top Go down

Post by wormbutt Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:37 am

Chelle, thanks for another belly laugh after midnight for the second night in a row, loved your account! When I was 12ish I had a horse that would allow no one, but me to catch. I used to ride him bareback no reigns, just leg pressure. Well times got rough and my parents had to sell the horses to make ends meet. I was devastated. After about 3 hrs of chasing him around they came in and begged me to catch him. I finally did, but I was not happy. I've never had one like him since. My most recent is a doll, but will never be like he was.
wormbutt
wormbutt
Bzzing
Bzzing

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2008-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by chelle Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:56 am

yep erin! I agree, this news is great news! LOL

Wormbutt, that had to have been hard. I had a few good horses growing up. MOre idiots than good ones. and it seems I always got the short end of the stick on a trade of some sort when it came to those horses. LOL

I was talking to a lady I know yesterday. She said that one of the teachers at the school had seen it on the website and was laughing about it. She said that was pitiful, and how she could just imagine how upset the owner would be. She printed it out and was showing it to others at school.

Then went back to class after lunch and had an email from her hubby. He was asking her if she happened to see their cow while it was visiting her at school. LOL

Come to find out they had dropped the cow off at the vets on their way to work that morning!
chelle
chelle

Back to top Go down

Post by thebigscott Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:47 am

We had a cow for years named Moodini. I swear she could get out of any kind of fence. Fortunately, she wasn't at all aggressive with people and she didn't really like to go far. She'd go to the subdivision next door and mow their back yards a bit then come home. If they or their kids came outside, she'd leave immediately. But to this day I have no idea how she got through the fence. We reinforced it and even made it taller, but it didn't seem to have any effect at all.
thebigscott
thebigscott

Number of posts : 9214
Honeycomb : Level 6 ~ Sweet Bee

http://messierobjects.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by chelle Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:13 am

Cows can jump Smile LOL

we used to have cows and a bull that roamed on my grandparents place freely. they had 65 acres. We had this old bull that every morning came down to the teeny trailer my mom and I lived in, he would scratch his back and sides on the side of the trailer. Every morning at 6am he was waking you up by shaking the trailer.

It was part of his morning ritual.
chelle
chelle

Back to top Go down

Post by Rebecca1340 Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:41 pm

chelle wrote:Cows can jump Smile LOL

Yeah, but they're not very graceful!
Rebecca1340
Rebecca1340
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by chelle Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:45 pm

LOL, but they will scare the shit out of you when they do it! LOL You dealt with dairy cows didnt you rebcca? we had one. and honestly, as dumb as every cow is ( and they really are some of the dumbest animals. the only thing that beats them is a thourobred horse) a Jersey is the 2nd dumbest of them all. LOL
chelle
chelle

Back to top Go down

Post by Rebecca1340 Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:52 pm

Jersey's are smarter than dairy cows, but that's not saying much. I think the only farm animal dumber than a cow is a chicken. Seriously, the reason why there's no cow act in the circus is because they're too stupid to learn commands.
Rebecca1340
Rebecca1340
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by chelle Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:04 am

LOL!! you might be right, But I can assure you that a brahama (or brimmer as we call them) is the dumbest of the bovine species.. that hump is fat, and so is their brain...
chelle
chelle

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down