Unofficial Bzz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Very Sick...

+20
Lucky
amybeccaz
kath
chelle
tara
bizzeedee
Maggie
idatater46
edbson
mrschia
Jezzelle
Lori
thebigscott
KellyM
Honey
eat_a_cookies
Rebecca1340
Starrlyte
sati769leigh
Missy
24 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Very Sick... Empty Very Sick...

Post by Missy Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:23 pm

The other night, I had what looked like a mosquito bite on my arm, inside elbow. I know that it's that season, so I thought nothing of it.

Yesterday morning, I checked it out, and it looked like a pimple. So, I thought that was what it was. Again, it's summer, hot and sweaty and I do tend to have more breakouts in the summer than any other month, regardless of how much I wash. So, my fiance helped me to "pop" it. Couldn't get everything, so we left it alone, to heal on it's own. By 4:30 pm, I was crying, sore and my arm was swollen.

So, we went to the ER. Turns out, I have cellulitis. At least that is what the DR thinks. I have to go to the DR in the morning and get looked at. I am in a lot of pain, my arm is still very swollen and I am soo sick. I can't eat, can't hold down anything I drink. I am on 2 differant antibiotics that makes me take 6 pills a day.

I just ask that everyone keep me in thier thoughts and prayers. I am hoping that I can get this treated and not be scared anymore.

Here is a little info I got off of webmd on the skin infection:

What is cellulitis?

Cellulitis is a skin infection caused by bacteria. Normally, your skin helps protect you from infection. But if you have a cut, sore, or insect bite, bacteria can get into the skin and spread to deeper tissues. If it is not treated with antibiotics, the infection can spread to the blood or lymph nodes. This can be deadly.

Some people can get cellulitis without having a break in the skin. These include older adults and people who have diabetes or a weak immune system. These people are also more likely to develop dangerous problems from cellulitis. And they are more likely to get cellulitis again.
What causes cellulitis?

Cellulitis is caused by bacteria (usually strep or staph). Some people are at risk for infection by other types of bacteria. They include people with weak immune systems and those who handle fish, meat, poultry, or soil without using gloves.
What are the symptoms?

At first, the infected area will be warm, red, swollen, and tender. As the infection spreads, you may have a fever, chills, and swollen glands.

Cellulitis can occur anywhere on the body. In adults, it often occurs on the legs, face, or arms. In children, it is most common on the face or around the anus. An infection on the face could lead to a dangerous eye infection.

See a doctor right away if you have an infected area of skin and:

* The infected area is getting redder, more painful, or larger, or it has red streaks extending from it.
* You have a fever or chills.
* The infected area is on your face or your groin.

How do you get cellulitis?

There are many ways to get cellulitis. You can get it if you have:

* An injury to your skin, such as a cut, surgical wound, burn, or animal or insect bite.
* Skin problems, such as ulcers, eczema, psoriasis, or a fungal infection like athlete's foot.
* Certain medical conditions. These include diabetes, peripheral arterial disease, or a weak immune system.
* Fluid buildup (edema) in the legs or arms.
* Had liposuction to remove excess fat.
* Injected illegal drugs under your skin.

How is it treated?

Doctors use antibiotics to treat cellulitis. If the infection is mild, you may be able to take antibiotic pills at home. If the infection is severe, you may need to be treated in the hospital with antibiotics that go right into your bloodstream.

If your doctor prescribes antibiotics, it is important to take them as directed. Do not stop taking them just because you feel better. You need to take the full course of antibiotics.

It is very important to get treatment right away for cellulitis. If it is not treated, the bacteria can spread quickly through the body and cause sepsis, an extreme response by the body’s defense system. This can be deadly. Cellulitis on the face can spread to the brain and cause a dangerous infection (meningitis). Cellulitis can also cause other serious problems, such as blood clots in the legs (thrombophlebitis).
You are more likely to have these problems if you are an older adult, have a medical condition such as diabetes or peripheral arterial disease, or have a weak immune system. Your chances of the cellulitis coming back may be higher too.
How can you prevent cellulitis?

If you are at risk for cellulitis, you can take steps to help prevent it.

* Take good care of your skin. Keep it clean, and use lotion to prevent drying and cracking.
* Check your feet and legs often. This is especially important if you have diabetes.
* Treat any skin infection, such as athlete’s foot, right away.
* Ask your doctor if you need to take antibiotics on a regular basis to prevent cellulitis.
* If your doctor prescribes medicine, take it just the way your doctor says to.

I am not a dirty person, I wash up everyday. I clean the house everyday. The only way I can think that I got it was that I did have a bug bite.

I have had fever chills all night, and I got no sleep. Woke up last night around 1 am and did not get back to sleep until around 5:30 am.

If I am not on much, it is because I am not doing so well. I don't get sick often, but when I do, it is extreme.

I have a splitting headache from the lack of food and sleep. I just thank goodness that my son is behaving today. He knows that Momma is sick and that she can not move much because it hurts. (Pain is on a scale of about 5-6 right now, but when I try and get up, or move the arm too much, jumps to 15)

I have a DR appt tomarrow morning to get looked at and to see what can be done.

I just hope that this can be taken care of, because I have a son to take care of that needs his Momma 110%.

Thank you for reading this, and again, please don't think I am dirty or anything bad. I just got unlucky to get this infection, but got lucky I went to the ER in time to get my meds started.
Missy
Missy
Really Not Getting Much Done Around the House

Number of posts : 2031
Honeycomb : Level 6- The Abyss
Registration date : 2008-04-25

http://www.cafemom.com/home/missmissy

Back to top Go down

Very Sick... Empty Re: Very Sick...

Post by sati769leigh Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:24 pm

OH WOW!! i have a friend who has diabetes who gets this in his legs every few months actually. not pleasant. i hope you heal soon. i understand from him that this makes you VERY ill indeed!! i feel for you!!
sati769leigh
sati769leigh
Queen Bee
Queen Bee

Number of posts : 293
Honeycomb : sati769leigh@hotmail.com
Registration date : 2008-04-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrlyte Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:33 pm

I hope you feel better soon! That sounds yucky!!!
Starrlyte
Starrlyte
In Need of a Life
In Need of a Life

Number of posts : 349
Honeycomb : 5
Registration date : 2008-04-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Rebecca1340 Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:47 pm

I had a client that ended up in the hospital with a severely swollen leg because of cellulitis. It can be really nasty! Keep an eye out too -- now that you've had it once you may be more suseptible to it again. Hope you're feeling better soon!
Rebecca1340
Rebecca1340
Admin

Number of posts : 6118
Honeycomb : Slowly sinking deeper into the Abyss
Registration date : 2008-03-10

http://bzzz.heavenforum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by eat_a_cookies Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:47 pm

Oh no! Get better soon!
eat_a_cookies
eat_a_cookies
Queen Bee
Queen Bee

Number of posts : 249
Registration date : 2008-05-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Honey Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:52 pm

My daughter had this and was in the hospital for quite a few days. We never did figure out what caused it. We suspected a spider bite, but don't really know for sure. She was about 5 at the time.
My stepbrother also got it and we never figured out where he got it either. So I am sure you are a clean person, but these things happen. I sure hope you feel better soon Very Sick... 820607
Honey
Honey

Number of posts : 1859
Honeycomb : 5
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by KellyM Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:53 pm

Did they give you IV antibiotics in the ER? I ask this because I had cellulitis once. I was washing a glass and it broke and I cut my knuckle quite bad. But I didn't go to the ER because I didn't think it was bad enough for stitches. Anyway I woke up with my arm all red and swollen a couple days later and you could see how far it had gone up my arm. I went to the ER and they gave me immediate doses of antibiotic by IV then sent me home with a prescription for antibiotics. The Dr said that he found that most people who cut themselves on glasses, knifes, etc while washing dishes have to be careful of this because of the bacteria from the dishes,food,utensils. It doesn't always happen because someone is dirty. You probably did have a bug bite as you assumed, but the bug had some nasty bacteria on it or something. It probably would have been better to get an immediate dose of IV antibiotics the ER doc here was quite insistent about that. I had to get them right then and come back again in 6 hours for another along with taking pill antibiotics. You should be fine, take your antibiotics religiously, don't expose that area to any bacteria and listen to what the doc tells you. Take care
KellyM
KellyM

Number of posts : 2887
Registration date : 2008-05-26

Back to top Go down

Post by thebigscott Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:55 pm

Oh Missy! I'm so sorry! And I know several people who have had this and none of them were dirty people.

I do have some advice that might help. First off, try epsom salts. Most people thing that epsom salts are only for bruises, but they work wonders on infections. They draw the infection out of the tissue into a point. Kind of like when you have a zit, sometimes it's all in a little pocket and easy to get out, but other times it's diffuse and you can feel it, but not do anything about it. Epsom salts are really good at drawing it into a little pocket that your doctor can drain. (Don't try to pop it yourself because you can push it deeper into the tissue or bloodstream.) You can buy them at any drugstore and the box will have directions. They work best with really warm water.

The second bit is to get some kind of probiotics. When you are on strong antibiotics, one of the side effects is that they will kill all of the good bacteria in your digestive tract. You will have a much harder time keeping anything down. So send your fiance to a health food store and have him explain to the staff that you are on strong antibiotics. They will give him some pills for you to take with each meal that have live cultures of the good bacteria in them. The antibiotics will still kill those, so you will have to take them with each meal, but for the short time they're alive they will help you digest your food better and be less naseous.

Get well soon. Follow your doctor's advice. And we'll be praying for you. Very Sick... 820607
thebigscott
thebigscott

Number of posts : 9214
Honeycomb : Level 6 ~ Sweet Bee

http://messierobjects.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Lori Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:11 pm

Missy, that's terrible! Take it easy and you will certainly be in my thoughts and prayers.
Lori
Lori

Number of posts : 8682
Honeycomb : Sweet Bee, Level 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Jezzelle Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:44 pm

That's awful Missy! I do hope you feel better soon! *Hugz*
Jezzelle
Jezzelle
Queen Bee
Queen Bee

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2008-05-07

Back to top Go down

Post by mrschia Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:19 pm

Oh bless your heart, I will be praying.

My nephew had something like this called staf I think and and he had meds and is 100% fine now, but it sure did hurt him.

Hugs to you!
mrschia
mrschia
In Need of a 12 Step Program

Number of posts : 670
Honeycomb : Level 6~ Sweet Bee
Registration date : 2008-04-03

Back to top Go down

Post by edbson Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:35 pm

Oh no, take care!
edbson
edbson

Number of posts : 5916
Honeycomb : Level 6~ the abyss,
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post by idatater46 Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:22 pm

Make sure they test for Mersa because sometimes it goes unrecogignized at first and its nothing to mess with. It also comes up like a pimple and once popped it spreads through the bloodstream. I have a friend who had a hard battle with that. I would call and make sure they test for that. My thoughts are with you- be careful.
idatater46
idatater46

Number of posts : 719
Registration date : 2008-04-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Missy Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:36 pm

I have been on and off sleeping all day. I noticied that if I am up for a long period of time, my fever goes up, so I have been getting as much rest as possible.

I have my meds timed- I have to take one kind 4 times a day and the other 2 times. They did not put me on an IV- but gave me a dose of antibiotics before I left and some vicodin to bring home.

I have finally been able to eat something and so far kept it down. Had my hubby make me some tomato soup. I know anything besides crackers that I have to chew will not work for me.

Thank you everyone for your advice. I go to the DR first thing in the morning, so fingers are crossed that they do something about it. I am in too much pain and my arm just kills. I have been putting a warm compress on it, as advised by the ER dr, which does make the swelling go down some for a bit.

I am not doing anything. My son gets to do what he wants, and luckily my hubby has been doing his best to help me out. He works nights, so being up during the day is hard for him, but he stated that our son and I are number one and he needs to sacifice something to make sure I do not get further hurt.

It was cute this afternoon, we were all asleep on the couch. Wish I had a picture. lol

Thank you all again and I will keep you updated on it all as I know what happens.
Missy
Missy

Back to top Go down

Post by Maggie Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:57 pm

=O
Really hope you get better!
That sounds kinda scary..
Maggie
Maggie

Number of posts : 1181
Honeycomb : Level 6, 1 Golden Key
Registration date : 2008-03-22

http://moneyandfreebies.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by bizzeedee Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:23 pm

It's quite frightening. Especially when I'm constantly getting bit by "something". I've never heard of this, but because of what you're going thru, I'll be alert to the symtons.

Best of healing to you, and so sorry you're having to go thru this. God Bless. Very Sick... 820607
bizzeedee
bizzeedee

Number of posts : 4243
Honeycomb : Sweet Bee ~ Level 6 ~

Back to top Go down

Post by tara Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:54 pm

I'm sorry Missy, hurry back to good health. I'm glad to hear your hubby is helpful and the little guy is being extra good- and here's hoping they keep it up until you are back 100%
tara
tara

Number of posts : 6833

http://www.mythirtyone.com/taras/

Back to top Go down

Post by Lori Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:14 pm

I'm glad you're getting some TLC and lots of lovin' from your family. Hope your appointment brings you some peace of mind - and physical relief as well!
Lori
Lori

Number of posts : 8682
Honeycomb : Sweet Bee, Level 6

Back to top Go down

Post by thebigscott Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:34 pm

Very Sick... 820607 very gentle hugs.
thebigscott
thebigscott

Number of posts : 9214
Honeycomb : Level 6 ~ Sweet Bee

http://messierobjects.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by chelle Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:34 am

I KNOW that you dont have to be dirty to get an infection. I got staph once.

I had a skeeter bite on my neck, It was red and itched, I worked in a convience store here by my house so almost everyone that came in knew me. They were pickin about it bein a hickie. I kept reaching up and touching it, rubbin it and scratching it.

Within days I had staph. I handled money constantly and I think that is really where I got it from.

So it can happen to anyone. I hope you feel better soon!
chelle
chelle

Number of posts : 6471
Honeycomb : the abyss with keys that dont fit any locks

http://aretheyalseepyet.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Missy Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:07 am

A lot of people think dirty when something like this happens, so I just wanted to stress that I am not, but it appears that many of you have also dealt with this and know what I am talking about. I can not wait to go to the DR in the morning.

It is swollen so much more, and when I changed the bandage, I noticied it looked like whatever is inside is at the top and wanting to come out, so I am taking that as a good sign.

My fever was at 101.7 for the highest today and Tim came home from work early so that he can get some sleep and take care of Timmy and I tommarrow. We both know that whatever happens, I will probably be in a lot of pain.

My arm is so swollen, it looks bad. It's red too. Gosh, thank goodness for the pain pills! I only need 1/2 and I am lucky it does good for me. This combined with the toothpain was more than I could handle.

I will update everyone as soon as I can in the morning. It will all depend on the amount of pain I end up in and if I can handle anything but sleep and rest. Well, off to go back and get some more sleep!
Missy
Missy

Back to top Go down

Post by kath Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:43 am

First of all, it is the height of absurdity that the hospital sent you home to wait for a doctors appointment to get help. If you are that sick and sore it seems to me that you should be admitted and treated, not sent home to fend for yourself and try to care for a child.

Hope you feel better today after a day on abx .
kath
kath

Number of posts : 1338

http://mckaitsbooks.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by amybeccaz Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:22 am

I hope you get to feeling better soon! Good luck at the doctor's. Smile
amybeccaz
amybeccaz

Number of posts : 621
Registration date : 2008-04-12

http://www.twocuteblondies.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucky Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:32 pm

Ugh, puter problems! Just saw this (I am always a day behind here for some reason).

Hope you are feeling better soon!
Lucky
Lucky

Number of posts : 1488
Honeycomb : 6 infinity
Registration date : 2008-05-03

Back to top Go down

Post by KellyM Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:07 pm

Wondering how your appt went and how you are feeling? Hope you're feeling much better..let us all know how things went.
KellyM
KellyM

Number of posts : 2887
Registration date : 2008-05-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next