Unofficial Bzz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

sick

+5
edbson
Lori
tara
BuzzNut
KellyM
9 posters

Go down

sick Empty sick

Post by KellyM Tue May 05, 2009 10:48 pm

Well Wynonna has come down with something , and it doesn't help that she has no immune system from her Remicade treatments. She woke up this morning saying her throat was sore, and came home from school halfway through the day. Shes been running a low grade fever 101, and ibuprofen does bring it down. But from this afternoon to tonight her throat has really swollen up and she has a few white and red raw sores in the back of her throat where it is swollen on the sides... is it Strep??? Anyone??? I am taking her in to the doc, I will call when they open tomorrow, they are super good about getting her in because they know she is immuno-suppressed and that what would be a regular sickness for someone else knocks her on her butt... I have been taking her temp every hour, making her sip ice water and she has tried Sucrets to try to numb her throat a little...
KellyM
KellyM
Really Not Getting Much Done Around the House

Number of posts : 2887
Registration date : 2008-05-26

Back to top Go down

sick Empty Re: sick

Post by BuzzNut Tue May 05, 2009 10:50 pm

Oh poor thing. My mom just had strep (just finished antibiotics this evening), I hope that isn't what it is. Keep us posted. Hope she gets to feeling better soon.
BuzzNut
BuzzNut

Number of posts : 1737
Honeycomb : Level 6 ....the endless doom
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by KellyM Tue May 05, 2009 10:59 pm

It's definitely something because it has progressed very quickly from just looking a little irritated to looking pretty nasty, just in a few hours this evening...
KellyM
KellyM

Back to top Go down

Post by tara Tue May 05, 2009 11:03 pm

Sounds like strep. Poor thing, wishing her a speedy recovery. If it helps tell her it's good it's just her throat. I had chronic strep as a child... they finally removed my tonsils but that didn't stop it, instead I got large dark rashes over my entire body.
tara
tara

Number of posts : 6833
Registration date : 2008-03-10

http://www.mythirtyone.com/taras/

Back to top Go down

Post by KellyM Tue May 05, 2009 11:12 pm

Yeah I feel bad, cause I kind of sassed her a little when she called from school for me to go get her. She has missed 30 days of school so far this year. I know this can't be helped but she has missed some days where she really could have gone..so now that she is sick, sick, it kind of hurts missing the time from school. Tonsils, is that what the swollen nobs are inside on the sides of the back of her throat?
KellyM
KellyM

Back to top Go down

Post by KellyM Tue May 05, 2009 11:23 pm

I just went on Web MD and checked all her symptoms and the Strep described it to a T, so that MUST be what it is...so antibiotics, and then what, how long is she contagious for? I hope JJ doesn't end up getting it too...or my hubby for that matter...
KellyM
KellyM

Back to top Go down

Post by Lori Tue May 05, 2009 11:28 pm

Kelly, who am I to say you're a bad mom for sassing her about being sick again? My oldest came home from his end-of-the-year class trip (up to Sault Ste Marie, MI) just dragging and complaining and did I ever get on his case. He was all complaining about his feet hurting, whine, whine, whine. I asked why his feet hurt when they took bus and boat tours. Later that night, I got a look at his feet and he had c hicken pox all over them. I felt awful! To this day I feel awful!

Just take care of her and realize that she can't help missing so much school. Especially with the swine flu thing, people are going to understand and appreciate you keeping her away from school.
Lori
Lori

Number of posts : 8682
Honeycomb : Sweet Bee, Level 6
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by edbson Tue May 05, 2009 11:35 pm

Poor kid, I can usually tell when mine get that strep smell. It has a definite smell, ick.
edbson
edbson

Number of posts : 5916
Honeycomb : Level 6~ the abyss,
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post by thebigscott Tue May 05, 2009 11:48 pm

Sounds like strep to me too, although I always just make Scott smell the kids' breathe because he and his mom can tell it's strep by the smell. I can't even tell there is a smell, much less identify it. But he's as accurate as a strep test. Our pediatrician doesn't even test my kids any more. If Scott can smell them, she prescribes antibiotics.

Lori wrote:Kelly, who am I to say you're a bad mom for sassing her about being sick again? My oldest came home from his end-of-the-year class trip (up to Sault Ste Marie, MI) just dragging and complaining and did I ever get on his case. He was all complaining about his feet hurting, whine, whine, whine. I asked why his feet hurt when they took bus and boat tours. Later that night, I got a look at his feet and he had c hicken pox all over them. I felt awful! To this day I feel awful!

Just take care of her and realize that she can't help missing so much school. Especially with the swine flu thing, people are going to understand and appreciate you keeping her away from school.

Oh, Lori! I would never have even looked at his feet. I'd have been like, "Take an ibuprophen" and never bothered to have checked it out. Poor thing. I bet you both felt awful! I'd never have gotten over it either.
thebigscott
thebigscott

Number of posts : 9214
Honeycomb : Level 6 ~ Sweet Bee

http://messierobjects.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by KellyM Wed May 06, 2009 8:29 am

I called the Dr's office and they will take her in the afternoon. Because of the swine flu thing they are taking only routine healty visits and checkups in the morning, they will be taking sick cases in the afternoon...

This morning everything is still like it was last night, but she now has a big yellow stripe in the middle of the very back of her throat...
KellyM
KellyM

Back to top Go down

Post by Rebecca1340 Wed May 06, 2009 11:13 am

Good luck at the doctor's!
Rebecca1340
Rebecca1340
Admin

Number of posts : 6118
Honeycomb : Slowly sinking deeper into the Abyss

http://bzzz.heavenforum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by KellyM Wed May 06, 2009 4:11 pm

We just got back and they said it's mono...so they prescribed Prednisone because her tonsils are so swollen they almost meet, and they prescribed a pain pill....no school definitely for the rest of the week. The Dr wants me to call her Fri and we will see what happens after that. I will probably have to take her in the beginning of the week for a check up to see if it's improving or getting worse. Just pump the fluids to her, so I got her a ton of bottled water and Gatorade, and tons of popsicles...
KellyM
KellyM

Back to top Go down

Post by tara Wed May 06, 2009 4:17 pm

poor thing, even worse then strep. Popsicles are always nice though, lol. she just can't catch a break can she?
tara
tara

Number of posts : 6833

http://www.mythirtyone.com/taras/

Back to top Go down

Post by BuzzNut Wed May 06, 2009 4:20 pm

KellyM wrote:We just got back and they said it's mono...so they prescribed Prednisone because her tonsils are so swollen they almost meet, and they prescribed a pain pill....no school definitely for the rest of the week. The Dr wants me to call her Fri and we will see what happens after that. I will probably have to take her in the beginning of the week for a check up to see if it's improving or getting worse. Just pump the fluids to her, so I got her a ton of bottled water and Gatorade, and tons of popsicles...
Oh No! poor thing. I had that when I was 16 and missed 8 weeks of school and was not allowed out of bed, only to go to the bathroom. My tonsils were meeting, and they gave me Sulfa drug that was the size of a fifty cent piece to swallow Shocked . I was very tired with mine.
I hope she gets better fast.
BuzzNut
BuzzNut

Back to top Go down

Post by KellyM Wed May 06, 2009 4:23 pm

It's the Remicade, it weakens her immune system, but if she didn't have the Remicade she would never have gotten out of Maine Medical, it's what put her flare up into remission..
KellyM
KellyM

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucky Wed May 06, 2009 5:19 pm

Mono is not fun, my daughter got it in college. I brought her home, and put her up in a bedroom in the basement so my son and I wouldn't get sick. I called my doc, and the pediatrician to see if we would get it. I was told my son was too young, and I was too old. She was sick for 2 weeks, then my son and I were both sick. Pediatrician said my son had strep, doc told me I didn't have strep. A month later had my blood tested for something else, and they told me I have had mono. I said, well I never had it according to you! I was sick for a month with it. My son a couple weeks. But...the symptoms come back everytime you get sick for several years possibly. It can be miserable. I will eat a popsicle in solidarity for her.
Lucky
Lucky

Number of posts : 1488
Honeycomb : 6 infinity
Registration date : 2008-05-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Lori Wed May 06, 2009 5:25 pm

Lucky wrote:She was sick for 2 weeks, then my son and I were both sick. Pediatrician said my son had strep, doc told me I didn't have strep. A month later had my blood tested for something else, and they told me I have had mono. I said, well I never had it according to you!

sick 88315
That was a big GOTCHA for the Dr.!
Lori
Lori

Number of posts : 8682
Honeycomb : Sweet Bee, Level 6
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucky Wed May 06, 2009 5:32 pm

No kidding, but they made it seem like I was wrong, I must've had it sometime before. I told them I have never...it's always been strep, look at my records I've been with you for 20 years, even had my tonsils out as an adult because of the all the strep.
Lucky
Lucky

Back to top Go down

Post by amybeccaz Wed May 06, 2009 10:34 pm

Oh no! Mono is horrible! I hope she's feeling better soon w/ all the meds. Smile
amybeccaz
amybeccaz
In Need of a 12 Step Program
In Need of a 12 Step Program

Number of posts : 621
Registration date : 2008-04-12

http://www.twocuteblondies.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by BuzzNut Thu May 07, 2009 10:38 pm

Kelly how is your daughter doing?
I hope she is feeling some better.
BuzzNut
BuzzNut

Back to top Go down

Post by KellyM Fri May 15, 2009 10:23 am

Wynonna got a little better over last weekend and the swelling went down and she went to school on Tues, Wed and Thurs. This morning however, the swelling started to pick back up a bit, and her glands are swollen and puffy, so I kept her home. I called the Dr's office and spoke with Dr Tan's nurse and she is supposed to talk to the Dr and call me back. I think they may just prescribe some more prednisone to help with the swelling. I will have to wait until they call me back to find out what they want to do.
KellyM
KellyM

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucky Fri May 15, 2009 10:45 am

They may add a prescription..mono really is a 'relieve the symptoms until it leaves you' kind of sickness. It can be weeks to feel better, months to feel human.
Lucky
Lucky

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down