Unofficial Bzz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

15 year old HELP

+4
KellyM
Lori
manny1968
bizzeedee
8 posters

Go down

15 year old HELP Empty 15 year old HELP

Post by bizzeedee Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:39 pm

I picked the name of a 15 year old girl off the Angel Tree at the Y today, thinking, " oh this is an easy one " then realized I know nothing about a 15 year old.

Her wish list consited of jewery and a purse. What do I know about what these young girls like? Okay gals, give it up... need suggestions... no, not a gift card, this girl would probably not have anyway to go to the stores to shop... and besides, I think they'd rather find a gift in the package.

I can also buy her clothes, but what kind of shirt for a 15 year old? Logo? plain long sleeve T?

H E L P !!!!
bizzeedee
bizzeedee
Really Not Getting Much Done Around the House

Number of posts : 4243
Honeycomb : Sweet Bee ~ Level 6 ~
Registration date : 2008-03-10

Back to top Go down

15 year old HELP Empty Re: 15 year old HELP

Post by manny1968 Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:02 am

i have a 15 year old niece and she loves those knock off coach bags the more colorful the better..i have seen them in some local stores for 15 bucks and they are cute. Also she loves those charm braclets that are so popular these days. I think she will love anything you buy her.
manny1968
manny1968
In Need of a Life
In Need of a Life

Number of posts : 381
Registration date : 2008-05-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Lori Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:11 am

If you have time, maybe troll websites like Seventeen or Lucky to see what they have on the "what's hot" or "holiday" lists. I have no idea what's hot in handbags or jewelry right now, so go to the experts.
Lori
Lori

Number of posts : 8682
Honeycomb : Sweet Bee, Level 6
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by KellyM Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:23 am

I agree with Manny on the knockoff purse. For the jewelry..I don't know if you have a Claire's in your area, but if you do they have some really cool stuff..Wynonna always loved going there.
KellyM
KellyM

Number of posts : 2887
Registration date : 2008-05-26

Back to top Go down

Post by edbson Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:23 am

Anything animal print or Peace signs, both are HUGE this year. Purses, earrings, necklaces etc from Claires, or even wal mart.
edbson
edbson

Number of posts : 5916
Honeycomb : Level 6~ the abyss,
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post by bizzeedee Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:47 am

Lori wrote:If you have time, maybe troll websites like Seventeen or Lucky to see what they have on the "what's hot" or "holiday" lists. I have no idea what's hot in handbags or jewelry right now, so go to the experts.

excellent idea! why didn't I think of that?
bizzeedee
bizzeedee

Back to top Go down

Post by bizzeedee Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:52 am

We do have a Claires! Knock-off designer purse might not mean anything to this girl.... these children come from poor areas, inner-city... can't do earrings because don't know if she has pierced ears.

animal prints, peace signs... yes, yes, since you mentioned it, I have seen youngins toting them.

Thanks for your help.... will go shopping tomorrow!
bizzeedee
bizzeedee

Back to top Go down

Post by edbson Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:02 am

Kristin said, Journals apparently 15yo girls like to write things, and cutesy pens. Notepads, and funky socks, jewelry with "rubber studs"( looks like colorful blobs of hot glue on them), and anything with initial or peace signs.

We have an angel too, Every year Bayley and I pick 2, and then we get them stuff. This year bay's kid is 3, a girl, and wants a Cabbage patch doll....very doable, might get her accessories too. My angel is 14, and wants a safe carseat for her baby that is due in Feb. Sad I hate to do it, but I am swapping angels for a another kid.
edbson
edbson

Back to top Go down

Post by thebigscott Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:42 pm

I understand Erin. That one is a tough one. After all the expenses of this past year and rebuilding after your home was destroyed I can see not wanting to spend that much... and after all the problems you've had with your DD not taking proper care of Xander, it would be hard to be buying for a pregnant teen. Sad Some things are just too rich with emotion.

Dee, I'd check out JCPenny's for shirts. Caly and all her friends think their juniors dept. has some of the coolest shirts, but they are still tasteful enough that I don't have to worry about things being see-through or inappropriate. Plus they usually have coupons available and sales. I just got a $10 off any purchase in the mail, and there's a printable $10 off any $25 purchase online right now. I get some really great deals there. Caly likes the shirts with fancy graphics on them.

I'd also look at free after rebate toiletries, make-up, or hair care items at the local drug stores. You and I are used to the idea of snagging those throughout the year, but if her mom isn't a couponer, she may not have any of those things. Walgreens has some Almay foundation on sale this month that's free after register rewards. Do you know her ethnicity/skin tone? If not you could always pick one light and one dark and she could mix if she needed to.

And I'd stop by your library and see if they have copies of the December issues of Martha Stewart Living, O, Women's Day, and Real Simple. Each of those magazines had a $5 coupon to Hallmark in them that can be used even on sale items. I stopped at our library the other day and snagged two more coupons that were just sitting there waiting around to expire.

I was thinking I'd like to do a Christmas angel too and if I got a girl I could use them to get her some of the beanies I got for Caly and Zoe. We're totally broke this year, but I'm a good shopper and I know I could get nice presents for a young girl using coupons and rebates, etc without spending much at all. Boy presents would be harder. They don't like make-up, LOL.
thebigscott
thebigscott

Number of posts : 9214
Honeycomb : Level 6 ~ Sweet Bee

http://messierobjects.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by bizzeedee Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:46 pm

Well I've done my shopping for Dollie (that's her name). I did get here what I considered a young girls purse at Walmart on clearance for $9... kind of ecru with black leather trim... not too big, not too small. The only animal prints I found were huge totes...

Also got her a purple long sleeve knit top, I came from the ladies dept (size L) and hope it will fit. (on clearance)

I think Dollie is a large gal, at 15 she wears a size 10 shoe, 14 pants and L shirt.

Then went to Claires and the clerk was very helpful (or just trying to make a sale LOL). Silver chain necklace with a dime size peace symble charm, heart charm and a tiny turquoise bead. Also a set of stretchy bracelets (I do see the girls wearing them, like 20 at a time LOL and those are neon colors each with a star charm on it. And last a stretchy necklace, same neons and it has a heart at the center.

I've put everything in a Christmas bag (we can't wrap) and take the package to the Y on Monday. I'm hoping Dollie will be happy with her gifts.

And that ladies, is the very first Christmas present I've purchased this year! But I'm not behind, because just about everyone we give gifts to, get gift cards... easy for us, fun for them. Only the 2 youngest grandgirls actually get stuff... but their mom will send me an email with links to what they want, then I order on line and have them shipped directly to their home and Deborah will wrap them all for me.

So... Merry Christmas and thanks for you help on my Angel!
bizzeedee
bizzeedee

Back to top Go down

Post by chelle Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:46 pm

I'd say any funky animal prints too. I'm betting her ears are peirced. Most kids are at that age. (Rayleys are not, which confused the hell out of my father in law. this man has never bought a present in his life. not even for his wife. and I didnt even know he knew what jewerly was.. he got Rayley a pair of earrings the other day. he liked them, said that they looked like her. LOL )

I'd go with anything thats fun and bright. I do see alot of peace signs on the clothing. making it hard to shop for Rayley. I swear every cute outfit or pair of leggins ends up with a peace sign on it somehwere. or the little bracelt sets or necklace sets, they always have one with it on them.
chelle
chelle

Number of posts : 6471
Honeycomb : the abyss with keys that dont fit any locks

http://aretheyalseepyet.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Lori Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:53 pm

chelle wrote: I do see alot of peace signs on the clothing. making it hard to shop for Rayley. I swear every cute outfit or pair of leggins ends up with a peace sign on it somehwere.

Is Rayley anti-Peace? 15 year old HELP 277833
Lori
Lori

Back to top Go down

Post by Lori Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:55 pm

Sounds like you were able to get quite a bit for her, Dee. Good job!
Lori
Lori

Back to top Go down

Post by edbson Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:55 pm

Pierce that childs ears Chelle.
She doesn't like peace signs?

Don't those stretchy bracelets mean stuff? Depending on the color they wear? Or is that over with....

Mine wore a Bob Marley shirt today, with what I thought was flowers on it....it's a bong.
edbson
edbson

Back to top Go down

Post by Lori Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:57 pm

edbson wrote:

Don't those stretchy bracelets mean stuff? Depending on the color they wear? Or is that over with....
Those were the rubber bracelets. I still see see some people wearing them, but not very many.
Lori
Lori

Back to top Go down

Post by chelle Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:25 pm

Oh HELL no erin. that girl would have them jerked smooth out of her head fightin with these boys! LOL I was 9 when I got mine peirced. But for differnt reasons,.. My grandfather always said "if God wanted holes in your ears, he'da put them there" .... My mom was 18. - My grandmother 42. LOL

as far as the peace sign,. Yes, Rayley is VERY antipeace... LOL
that child is a war looking to happen! (which is why she doesnt have peirced ears.. LOL )

Honestly, I never have been real into the hippie thing. ( no offence, it just was a little less conservative that what I am--- okay, a whole lot.. LOL ) But it wasnt ever a big issue--- till lately it just wasnt out there. and this year Bretts school went crazy with them. The teachers all wear them, its plastered all over the school. its their 'motto' this year. its an acronym for "pause evaluate and concider... some such crap... I dont know. BUT everything that they hand out from the bracelts, to ribbons to whatever has them on it. They even wanted to put it on the T shirts this year ( we veto'd that, cause as the PTA we inisist that T shirts stay the same year after year so kids can hand them down and folks can afford to buy them. )

anyway, one day at school, they were doing something for art. One kid was saying they couldnt draw the peace sign, ( the assignment was to draw it and decorate it or some such trying to get the kids to memorize the motto)
The teacher told the kid to turn the paper upside down and put a line, then put a V. then make a circle. It hit Brett before the circle was on it that it was an upside down broken cross. I think his words were "he didnt get a good V drawn, and it looked like a funky cross"

So, he doesnt like it at all. I had heard that years before, or read it somewhere or something, but hadnt thought about it in years.

And he has a sense of some of the things about the 60's and 70's. He's pretty astute. He is a PITA, and hardheaded, but he notices things, and he's seen documenteries on TV and such. Plus I think he learned alot from Forrest Gump. LOL In his mind the peace sign is synonmus with disliking or disrespecting our troops and goverment. They just go hand in hand. And I guess thats how we all feel. But we never talked about it, cause like y'all said, its just now becoming a really big thing. And BR and I dont tend to talk about things that we are in complete agreement on.

I never even knew Brett knew what it was till the first week of school when he came home talking about it. He didnt like it then, but a few weeks later was when he kinda got serious about it- after the art project.

But even though I have always found it points to a time of things that dont mesh with my beliefs and outlooks, he finds it very disrespectful and I will honor that.

as far as what Rayley wears- He and Matt both are very protective of Rayley and from the day she was born they have always wanted to have a say in what she wears. ( at 4 and 5 they insisted she have on a bow no matter what was going on. even just to stay at home. they wanted everyone to know she was a girl. and they FEED her pink obsession. If they buy her something, its PINK. or fluffy, or girly. ) They might hate her but they refuse to let her look too bad. LOL

They even make her change clothes if they think her shorts are too short, or her shirt isnt long enough. LOL She is gonna HATE them when she gets older. But ti will help me out ALOT. LOL But even she doesnt pick out clothes with the peace sign on it. She passes right by them.
chelle
chelle

Back to top Go down

Post by edbson Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:21 pm

Ima hafta come poke some holes in that childs ears. I poked my kids the day they were born.
I was reading this, happened to look at bay and she has 7 peace signs clearly visible on her person...4 earrings, shirt, jammy pants and socks.....

I look at it as a fashion statement, so does the kid, not anything to do with hippies or war, or peace even. I did think it was cool when I was a teen and there was a peace sign on the bong my uncle handed down to me( there were also flowers and stars)....but I have outgrown that. the uncle hasn't, but i have. Bayley just wears them because 1) try finding something without it, and 2) all the other kids do it..
edbson
edbson

Back to top Go down

Post by bizzeedee Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:04 am

I love the peace sign... but then I'm an old Flower Child (not a hippie)....Remember in '69, bought a peace sign decal from a "hippie" store and put it on the back window of my car... my boyfriend at the time had a hissy fit!
bizzeedee
bizzeedee

Back to top Go down

Post by tara Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:45 am

I like peace signs. Saige has clothes with them, also with hearts and butterflies. She likes all of them for no reason other than she does. Of course she is 5 and has no idea what a hippie is or even an understanding of what war is or politics for that matter. There will be plenty of time for her to worry about all that, for now I am quite content letting her just be a kid. As long as she isn't dressing like a hooker I am content to let her wear whatever she wants.
tara
tara

Number of posts : 6833

http://www.mythirtyone.com/taras/

Back to top Go down

Post by Lori Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:51 am

Overstock has a nice t-shirt that has the word for Peace written in all different languages in the shape of a peace sign. I got one for my 18 y.o. and he wears it a lot. Just a reminder - I don't work for Overstock. Wink
Lori
Lori

Back to top Go down

Post by thebigscott Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:12 am

I like peace, and the sign for it, too. I wish we didn't have to have wars. But I recognize that if we didn't ever take a stand (and sometimes a violent stand) against those who would abuse their power, the 'peace' we'd have as a result wouldn't be worth having. So I wear peace signs carefully. Peace is good if it's the result of respectful compromise, but not if it's the result of sticking your head in a hole and pretending bad things aren't happening to the guy next to you.
thebigscott
thebigscott

Number of posts : 9214
Honeycomb : Level 6 ~ Sweet Bee

http://messierobjects.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by tara Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:10 pm

Lori wrote:Overstock has a nice t-shirt that has the word for Peace written in all different languages in the shape of a peace sign. I got one for my 18 y.o. and he wears it a lot. Just a reminder - I don't work for Overstock. Wink

Well maybe you should be!
tara
tara

Number of posts : 6833

http://www.mythirtyone.com/taras/

Back to top Go down

Post by Lori Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:17 pm

Believe me, I want to be very badly. I did get invited to take a survey about joining a panel of customers, but I wasn't chosen. Still bummed about it, too. I can probably thank the people on that panel for the holiday gift I got from them, though.
Lori
Lori

Back to top Go down

Post by chelle Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:13 pm

Something else dawned on me. My mother, who graduated in 74, and never really did the hippie thing, LOVES peace signs- now, she never had any when I was growing up. Her paraphanelia tended to run more towards the feathered roach clips. So my kids associate them with her. She likes to pretend she was a 'free love, screw the man' type person. She is just a crackhead that never grew up and has relied on THE MAN (my grandfather) to buy everything from her homes to her toilet paper all her life. . They know that now, and NOT through ME. and dont care to associate with her and tend to dissassiociate themselves with anything that reminds them of her. .

Erin, just today, rayley had a barrett in her hair, it hung down, she got it caught in her shirt and pulled out a handful of hair. She wouldnt have a lobe left with in a week. LOL she had to quit wearing her ring because she kept catching it in doors and such. seriously. LOL
chelle
chelle

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down