Unofficial Bzz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What are you reading now?

+20
karica4
crystajewel
mandja
cens0rship
KellyM
Phoenix1
tara
Nyssa
thebigscott
Muggins
Missy
BeachyBum
Scar
KaeLynn
mollysmomma
Starrlyte
idatater46
Lori
Rhonda67
kath
24 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

What are you reading now? - Page 2 Empty Re: What are you reading now?

Post by Muggins Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:49 pm

I've just started Exit Music by Ian Rankin. It is supposed to the be the last Inspector Rebus novel. I love these books ......... used to live in Edinburgh, Scotland and I know so many of the places in the books!
Muggins
Muggins
Queen Bee
Queen Bee

Number of posts : 249
Honeycomb : Level 6
Registration date : 2008-03-30

Back to top Go down

Post by thebigscott Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:59 am

Small Favor by Jim Butcher. It's the latest Dresden File book and I'm really loving it. The storyline is way too convoluted for me to explain (I'm barely keeping track of it myself) but it's so much fun.
thebigscott
thebigscott
Really Not Getting Much Done Around the House

Number of posts : 9214
Honeycomb : Level 6 ~ Sweet Bee
Registration date : 2008-03-10

http://messierobjects.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Lori Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:15 am

Karen, I read the first two in that series so far. I like them!

Right now I'm reading To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis. An historian goes back to Victorian England to do some research and saves a cat from drowning in the Thames, but then she accidentally brings the cat back to the present (a first! all that's supposed to be able to be transported is the air in your lungs or a bit of dirt on your clothing). To fix possible incongruities, the cat has to be returned asap, but now a comedy of errors has caused multiple incongruities that must be fixed or history will be forever changed.
Lori
Lori

Number of posts : 8682
Honeycomb : Sweet Bee, Level 6
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by thebigscott Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:57 pm

Lori, I think I'd like to read that! Man, it is taking forever to read because of the little ones. But with school started, I may be able to catch up and start new books. I love reading and miss it!
thebigscott
thebigscott

Back to top Go down

Post by Muggins Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:38 pm

Lori wrote:Right now I'm reading To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis. An historian goes back to Victorian England to do some research and saves a cat from drowning in the Thames, but then she accidentally brings the cat back to the present (a first! all that's supposed to be able to be transported is the air in your lungs or a bit of dirt on your clothing). To fix possible incongruities, the cat has to be returned asap, but now a comedy of errors has caused multiple incongruities that must be fixed or history will be forever changed.

I just logged on to our library website here in Toronto and requested this one! It sounds like a rather good read indeed!
Muggins
Muggins
Queen Bee
Queen Bee

Back to top Go down

Post by Lori Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:56 pm

If you like it, there's a related book by Connie Willis called Doomsday Book. It's related in that the historians are the same, and they're located in Oxford, but Doomsday Book has a much different tone, and rather than Victorian times they travel to Medieval times. To Say Nothing of the Dog is much more of a lark.
Lori
Lori

Back to top Go down

Post by Muggins Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:36 pm

Lori wrote:If you like it, there's a related book by Connie Willis called Doomsday Book. It's related in that the historians are the same, and they're located in Oxford, but Doomsday Book has a much different tone, and rather than Victorian times they travel to Medieval times. To Say Nothing of the Dog is much more of a lark.

Thanks ............... I'll keep this one in mind too! cat
Muggins
Muggins
Queen Bee
Queen Bee

Back to top Go down

Post by Lori Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:04 am

OK. Doomsday Book came before the other and there are some very faint references to some of the happenings in it near the end of To Say Nothing of the Dog. You'd gloss right over them, though. I just thought I'd let you know the chronological order.
Lori
Lori

Back to top Go down

Post by Nyssa Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:34 pm

I"m currently reading "Project Moonbase and Others" by Robert A. Heinlein. It's a collection of his previously-unpublished writings, specifically screenplays for a movie and an SF TV series that was based on his Future History short stories.

It was a very expensive book, limited edition, numbered and all, but luckily I had just enough money in my amazon GC account to cover it.

As for "The Doomsday Book," I seem to remember that I have had this one in my to-read pile forever. I guess I should dig it out and put it nearer to the top of the pile. Smile

Nyssa
In Need of a 12 Step Program

Number of posts : 525
Honeycomb : Just entering the Black Hole
Registration date : 2008-06-17

http://nyssa.cnc.net

Back to top Go down

Post by thebigscott Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:23 pm

I'll have to see if there's a cheap non-collector's version, Nyssa. I love Heinlein.
thebigscott
thebigscott

Back to top Go down

Post by tara Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:39 pm

I read a V.C. Andrews book this morning Embarassed
tara
tara

Number of posts : 6833

http://www.mythirtyone.com/taras/

Back to top Go down

Post by thebigscott Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:03 pm

I loved her stuff when I was a teen. I'd probably still read it, but I got annoyed when her family sold the rights to her name and characters after she died.
thebigscott
thebigscott

Back to top Go down

Post by Missy Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:25 pm

tara wrote:I read a V.C. Andrews book this morning Embarassed

I am addicted to all her books and trying to recollect what I have lost. The new one comes out at the end of the month. =)

I just got done with the Landry series.

I am now reading "Size 12 is not Fat" by Meg Cabot. This is the first in the series of Heather Wells. I love these books. My second time reading it.
Missy
Missy

Number of posts : 2031
Honeycomb : Level 6- The Abyss
Registration date : 2008-04-25

http://www.cafemom.com/home/missmissy

Back to top Go down

Post by Lori Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:38 am

tara wrote:I read a V.C. Andrews book this morning Embarassed
Anything that gives us pleasure when we read is okay in my book. We read for entertainment.

I just read a book that I would classify as young adult literature and I loved it. It was called Lillydale: Believing. Att he end of the book I read the author's notes and was amazed to find out that the spiritualist community featured in the book really exists.
Lori
Lori

Back to top Go down

Post by Phoenix1 Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:13 am

Lori, if you're interested in finding out more about Lily Dale, there's a non-fiction book by Christine Wicker. "Lily Dale: The True Story Of The Town That Talks To The Dead." I got it from the public library.

Phoenix

Phoenix1
Queen Bee
Queen Bee

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2008-03-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Lori Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:31 am

Cool, Phoenix! Thanks, I'll look into it. You haven't been there, have you?
Lori
Lori

Back to top Go down

Post by Phoenix1 Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:06 am

Morning, Lori. I don't think Wicker's a fantastic writer, but she writes about interesting things. She has a few other books out.

No, I haven't been to Lily Dale! While I believe in certain "otherworldly" elements, I'm pretty sceptical of most spiritualists. One of the reasons I enjoy Wicker's books is that she's rather sceptical herself.

Did you get the other Lily Dale book through AuthorBuzz? I won a book in that series, but I haven't read it yet.

Phoenix

Phoenix1
Queen Bee
Queen Bee

Back to top Go down

Post by Lori Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:16 am

Yes, I won my copy through AuthorBuzz! So I'm mistaken, it's actually Lily Dale: Awakening that I read. D'oh! I'll wait for Believing to come out in paperback before I read it. After you read Awakening let me know if you think it could be classified as a young adult novel.
Lori
Lori

Back to top Go down

Post by Nyssa Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:32 pm

Karen, here's the link to the new Heinlein book:
http://www.subterraneanpress.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=heinlein&Category_Code=B&Product_Count=54

It just came out last month.

It's the first of a two-volume set that will contain the last of RAH's previously unpublished works. Both are limited edition and very pricey. Without GCs I wouldn't have been able to afford this one. The only other edition is even more expensive: a leather bound slipcased version limited to 26 copies at $250 each!

I don't think you'll find this one at your local used book store anytime soon. lol Or even at libraries for that matter. Except for the movie screenplay (Project Moonbase) and two story outlines, the rest are just screenplays of his early short stories in the Future History line, so don't feel like you're missing a lot; just re-read a few of his early collections and you'll be in the zone again. Smile

Now somebody please tell me more about this book "Size 12 Is Not Fat!" Being a size 12 when I'm down to my normal size (right now at a 14 on the bottom half, but working on getting back down) and having been that size since I was in 7th Grade, I think I'd be very interested in reading it.

Nyssa

Number of posts : 525
Honeycomb : Just entering the Black Hole
Registration date : 2008-06-17

http://nyssa.cnc.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Missy Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:52 pm

Nyssa wrote:

Now somebody please tell me more about this book "Size 12 Is Not Fat!" Being a size 12 when I'm down to my normal size (right now at a 14 on the bottom half, but working on getting back down) and having been that size since I was in 7th Grade, I think I'd be very interested in reading it.

Interesting because the 2nd book in the series is "Size 14 is not fat either"... and then "big Boned" is the newest in the series.

The series follows a "has-been" mall pop singer that gets a job working at a college as the dorm residance hall assistant. Girls start getting killed, and Heather Wells, the main character, follows her instinct to get to the bottom of why they are all dieing. It is a good read, I had read Big Boned first, not knowing that there were 2 books ahead of it (read a review in EW) so I got those afterwards. I think they are funny, and an easy read. There is mystery, a little bit of romance (she is in love with her "housemate" who she does part-time work for. He is a private investigator, who happens to be the brother to her ex-boyfriend, that she left when she...

I don't want to give it away, but it is good. Meg Cabot (author of the Princess Diaries and the Queen of Babble series) is the author.

Book Site
Missy
Missy

Number of posts : 2031
Honeycomb : Level 6- The Abyss
Registration date : 2008-04-25

http://www.cafemom.com/home/missmissy

Back to top Go down

Post by Phoenix1 Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:18 am

Lori wrote:Yes, I won my copy through AuthorBuzz! So I'm mistaken, it's actually Lily Dale: Awakening that I read. D'oh! I'll wait for Believing to come out in paperback before I read it. After you read Awakening let me know if you think it could be classified as a young adult novel.

Hi, Lori:

I expect that I also won Awakening. It's buried somewhere in my closet! I do remember exchanging a few nice e-mails with the writer. That's one of my favourite parts of AuthorBuzz.

I definitely got the impression it was aimed at young adults, but I actually read a lot of YA & children's literature. Some of it is much better written & more engaging than many "adult" books.

Phoenix

Phoenix1
Queen Bee
Queen Bee

Back to top Go down

Post by KellyM Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:03 pm

I am reading "A Bitter Brew" by Christine Ellen Young. It's a true story based on the New Sweden aresenic poisonings that occured here. I went to school with few of the people mentioned in the book (Eric Margeson being one of them)and have had Dr Harrigan a few times in the ER. The couple other crimes that are briefly referenced in there I personally knew those people as well, Robert Rossignol was a classmate, and Tara (Roy) Bell was a very close friend of mine and also was my daycare provider for a few years...I miss her. You wouldn't think in such a rural area as this that this stuff would happen but it does.
KellyM
KellyM

Number of posts : 2887
Registration date : 2008-05-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Lori Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:25 pm

Wow, Kelly, that's a little scary. I'm not familiar with the poisonings you're talking about. Who was the perpetrator? A doctor or nurse?

Last edited by Lori on Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lori
Lori

Back to top Go down

Post by KellyM Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:49 pm

No, a member of the church was...you should really read it if you are able to sometime.

here are a few links

www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/05/02/national/main552160.shtml
www.accessmylibrary.com/coms2/summary_0286-23179526_ITM
rd.com/.../arsenic-poisoning-stuns-maine-church/article27258-1.html
www.cnn.com/2003/US/Northeast/05/04/maine.church.arsenic
www.topix.com/city/new-sweden-me

There is also an episode on Mystery ER (I don't know if you have ever seen the show on TV) but it shows about what happened.
KellyM
KellyM

Number of posts : 2887
Registration date : 2008-05-26

Back to top Go down

Post by thebigscott Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:54 pm

Kelly, I remember reading about the poisoning when they were first realizing what had truly happened. I didn't know that was where you lived. I never heard if the survivors had any lasting damage from it, either. Were they able to fully recover?
thebigscott
thebigscott

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next