Unofficial Bzz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What's Everyone Reading These Days?

+4
tara
amybeccaz
akiko03
Rebecca1340
8 posters

Go down

What's Everyone Reading These Days? Empty What's Everyone Reading These Days?

Post by Rebecca1340 Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:58 pm

I've sort of gotten back into reading again lately -- I guess I tend to go in spurts where I'm either not reading anything more than a magazine or I read every book I can get my hands on.
I've recently read a couple of Ayaan Hirsi Ali's books (Infadel and Nomad to be precise). They were both pretty heavy so I'm enjoying a lighter read right now with Kabul Beauty School.
Rebecca1340
Rebecca1340
Admin

Number of posts : 6118
Honeycomb : Slowly sinking deeper into the Abyss
Registration date : 2008-03-10

http://bzzz.heavenforum.com

Back to top Go down

What's Everyone Reading These Days? Empty Re: What's Everyone Reading These Days?

Post by akiko03 Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:04 pm

I'm getting toward the end of Annexed by Sharon Dogar. It is a young adult book about the time that Anne Frank and family spent in hiding during World War II but it is told from the perspective of Peter van Pels. A very hard thing to read about so I'm sure I'll move on to something much lighter next.
akiko03
akiko03
Queen Bee
Queen Bee

Number of posts : 193
Honeycomb : Level 6 Sweet Bee
Registration date : 2008-06-19

http://librarygirlreads.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

What's Everyone Reading These Days? Empty Re: What's Everyone Reading These Days?

Post by amybeccaz Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:32 pm

Finished the Hunger Game series by Suzanne Collins (young adult series)... VERY good, and it's going to be made into a movie.

Finished reading the Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris... awesome! Love Eric! Wahoo!

Working on book by Madeleine Wickham (aka Sophie Kinsells who wrote the Shopaholic series)

I just do fluff books...
amybeccaz
amybeccaz
In Need of a 12 Step Program

Number of posts : 621
Registration date : 2008-04-12

http://www.twocuteblondies.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by tara Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:29 pm

nothing : ( I also go through spurts.... usually when library story time is in session because I am already there to pick something.
tara
tara

Number of posts : 6833

http://www.mythirtyone.com/taras/

Back to top Go down

Post by Lori Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:15 pm

I just finished a snoozer of a book that my MIL insisted that I read. It was the first in a series about a woman who goes back to her roots to live the Amish lifestyle, called Plain Perfect. Books don't have to be steamy or violent, but this was predictable from page 2 or 3. I hate that.

I also finished Cruise Confidential about an American who worked on the Carnival line for a while. It wasn't very good either. LOL

I am into the 3rd of 4 books I picked up in the Monk series. They're ok. I'm ready for a thriller/ghost story. Always ready for a good ghost or paranormal story, especially this time of year! My To Be Read pile doesn't have any spookiness in it, but I know I have some good stuff in there. I haven't even picked up the book from the She Speaks book club. I need to do that!
Lori
Lori

Number of posts : 8682
Honeycomb : Sweet Bee, Level 6
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Nyssa Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:33 pm

Lori, what's the She Speaks book club? I'm a member (although they seem to ignore that fact), and I've never heard of it.

Otherwise, I just finished "The Cobra" by Frederick Forsyth. It was okay, but disappointing since I expect better from Forsyth.

I'm now just over halfway through "The Memory of Running" by Ron (?) McLarty (who is supposed to be a TV "star", but I've never heard of him...or his wife who is also an actor lol).[ I picked this up in one of my massive book buys a few months ago at Dollar Tree. For a buck a book, I'm willing to pick up stuff on the chance of finding something interesting.] So far, I'm enjoying it, although I'm not crazy about the author's style of jumping from past to present story telling which each chapter change.

I've got a HUGE stack of to-be-read, so between that pile and paperbackswap.com, I'm pretty much set for the winter. Smile

Nyssa

Number of posts : 525
Honeycomb : Just entering the Black Hole
Registration date : 2008-06-17

http://nyssa.cnc.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Lori Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:21 pm

Nyssa, I think the SheSpeaks book club was discussed on Facebook. You had to friend the community manager and tell her to add your name to the list. Her name is Ann She Speaks. Not sure if you can still join or not, but the first book they sent is called "perfection: A Memoir of Betrayal and Renewal" by Julie Metz.
Lori
Lori

Back to top Go down

Post by Nyssa Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:08 am

Thanks for the explanation, Lori. I don't do Facebook and have no interest in starting, so that explains why I've never heard of the book club before.

I won't get on my anti-Facebook soapbox here, but I will say I'm getting really tired of sites like She Speaks and others <cough, cough> who not only want you to join *their* site and particiapte there, but also to join Facebook and friend them there and participate via Facebook *plus* make offers to only the Facebook portion of their members. Discrimination, I tell ya!

In any case, I hope you enjoy the book they sent you.

Nyssa

Number of posts : 525
Honeycomb : Just entering the Black Hole
Registration date : 2008-06-17

http://nyssa.cnc.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Lori Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:42 am

Nyssa, I agree 100%! As an example: the case of BzzAgent and the got2b coupon debacle. If you were an agent who was NOT on Facebook, you would have tried to use the coupon and either had success or it would have failed. If it had failed, you would have probably purchased the extra product, not knowing that the company and BzzAgent were well aware of the problem because of Facebook postings and were planning on sending out new coupons. But did they send new coupons out automatically? No! They made agents take a survey. The survey only asked if you used the coupon. It did not ask if you were able to receive the item for free. So those who were not on Facebook got screwed again. If you said you used the coupon you were not sent a new one. Even agents who use Facebook but don't follow the updates got screwed. The Hive has stopped bothering with communication anymore. Or maybe they consider Facebook as the only form of communication we need right now.It really sucks!
Lori
Lori

Back to top Go down

Post by Lori Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:37 am

akiko03 wrote:I'm getting toward the end of Annexed by Sharon Dogar. It is a young adult book about the time that Anne Frank and family spent in hiding during World War II but it is told from the perspective of Peter van Pels. A very hard thing to read about so I'm sure I'll move on to something much lighter next.
This sounds interesting. Would you recommend it? I've read a lot about the Holocaust, but mostly survivor-related non-fiction. And of course, Diary of Anne Frank.
Lori
Lori

Back to top Go down

Post by briteasafirefly Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:46 pm

I've been reading just about anything that I can get my hands on...mostly from the library.
The Stephanie Plum series, Sookie Stackhouse series, the Black Dagger Brotherhood series(JR Ward)...although I'm up to date on those.
Slowly working through JD Robb's In Death series. Jodi Picoult when I can get my hands on one of her books.

Lately, I've been on a hot and steamy kick... those books are little harder to get a hold of through the library.

oh and can't forgot the required college textbook reading...
briteasafirefly
briteasafirefly

Number of posts : 625
Honeycomb : the doomed level 6
Registration date : 2008-11-28

Back to top Go down

Post by 2BzzOrNot2Bzz Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:27 am

I'm currently reading the Last Gospel by David Gibbins... it's sorta like the Da Vinci Code-ish.

2BzzOrNot2Bzz

Number of posts : 567
Honeycomb : Doomed in Level 6...
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post by tara Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:47 pm

I've been reading everything since I got my nook. Most recently I've been reading Amanda Hocking's books. Urban fantasy similar to Twilight but I think I like them better!
tara
tara

Number of posts : 6833

http://www.mythirtyone.com/taras/

Back to top Go down

Post by 2BzzOrNot2Bzz Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:57 am

I just finished The Terror by Dan Simmons. Page turner for sure! Not a horror book....

2BzzOrNot2Bzz

Number of posts : 567
Honeycomb : Doomed in Level 6...
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down