Unofficial Bzz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MyPoints question

3 posters

Go down

MyPoints question Empty MyPoints question

Post by bringthechaos Thu May 29, 2008 2:42 pm

Since we're all kinda being forced to use Mypoints unless we want our points to turn into dirt...

I'm trying to reap in the points.

Within the next two weeks I need to buy a new laptop, as mine is having a handful of issues, and I have made the decision to buy from Dell. I see that on MyPoints I can go directly to the dell website to get 3 points per dollar (which should definitely add up to bump me up to another gift card...and boy do I need gas!), but I'm thinking of using my student discount, which requires me to go a certain website via my University (a special login to Dell). Does anyone know if I can still get the mypoints reward somehow, while still using my student discount?

I figured I would ask here first since I've seen a lot of BS responses people have received from MyPoints employees.

Thank you in advance!
bringthechaos
bringthechaos
Worker Bee
Worker Bee

Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2008-04-06

Back to top Go down

MyPoints question Empty Re: MyPoints question

Post by Honey Thu May 29, 2008 3:37 pm

I may not be any help, but I bought my daughter a Mac and she was able to get a student discount. I still was able to go through ebates, get that 1% rebate, as well as get the student discount. So you may be able to combine Mypoints and Dell also. I just went to the Apple Store through ebates, then put the special student url in and sent it there and it worked for me. Worth a try anyway.
Are you really sure you don't want a Mac instead of a Dell though? I spent a crap load on a Dell a few years ago, but it is full of spy wear and crap. No matter what I tried (every program I could find I tried) to keep it free of that stuff, it got infected badly anyway. I am now on a 10 year old Mac I spent $100 on. It is next to the dead Dell and puts it to shame even when it wasn't dead, even though the Mac is 10 years old.
When my daughter started college with her new Mac, there were pages and pages of what a pc had to do to get on the school network, as far as virus protection and security, but the Mac paper had just a few sentences that basically said you are good to go!
Honey
Honey
Really Not Getting Much Done Around the House

Number of posts : 1859
Honeycomb : 5
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Honey Thu May 29, 2008 3:40 pm

Another option might be to log in with the student discount id, put the computer in your cart, then go to Dell through Mypoints and see if it is in your cart at the discount price.
Honey
Honey

Number of posts : 1859
Honeycomb : 5
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by bringthechaos Fri May 30, 2008 1:55 am

Thanks Honey! I will try that tomorrow when I am not so tired lol.

Actually, I am familiar with Macs and I just don't find the setup quite as pleasing. I know they are superior as far as reliability, but I am not prepared to make the change. Right now I am replacing a Compaq that needs a lot of upgrades (I need more memory, larger hard drive, better processor, etc) plus a couple of issues (wireless card went out, and now the computer turns on only after you 'restart' it about 20-30 times.)

Surprisingly I have an old Dell cpu that runs perfectly, 6 years old now. It's just one slow old man...I need more speed =)

but back on topic -- thanks so much for the advice. Have a great night.
bringthechaos
bringthechaos
Worker Bee
Worker Bee

Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2008-04-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Darby415 Fri May 30, 2008 3:43 am

bringthechaos wrote:Since we're all kinda being forced to use Mypoints unless we want our points to turn into dirt...

I'm trying to reap in the points.

Within the next two weeks I need to buy a new laptop, as mine is having a handful of issues, and I have made the decision to buy from Dell. I see that on MyPoints I can go directly to the dell website to get 3 points per dollar (which should definitely add up to bump me up to another gift card...and boy do I need gas!), but I'm thinking of using my student discount, which requires me to go a certain website via my University (a special login to Dell). Does anyone know if I can still get the mypoints reward somehow, while still using my student discount?

I figured I would ask here first since I've seen a lot of BS responses people have received from MyPoints employees.

Thank you in advance!

Dell Home ONLY, clicked thru from MyPoints.

Darby415
Bzzing
Bzzing

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2008-05-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down