Unofficial Bzz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You can file this under "I didn't know that!"

+6
joedonot
thebigscott
tara
edbson
bizzeedee
Lori
10 posters

Go down

You can file this under "I didn't know that!" Empty You can file this under "I didn't know that!"

Post by Lori Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:57 am

A couple of weeks ago, we were watching the Food Network. Specifically, The Next Food Network Star". Each contestant was supposed to give a 30 second video tip for the budget conscious home chef. Melissa, who I think is going to win, held up a bunch of green onions and said that you can always have fresh green onions for your salads if you put the bottoms of the onions in some water after you've cut the green tops off. The green parts regenerate!

Of course I had to rewind and listen again to see if I heard right. I even said to DH "Did she say the greens will regenerate?" He said "I think so!" So I tried it. And it works. I cut the greens off about 3.5 inches above the bottom of the onions and set the roots in an inch or so of water in a narrow juice glass. They are sitting on my counter and have regrown the tops. Every 2 days or so I rinse out the glass and put the roots into fresh cold water.

Why did my mother or grandmother never tell me this? All of those times I was making salads or something and never had green onions handy and had to run to the store...
Lori
Lori

Number of posts : 8682
Honeycomb : Sweet Bee, Level 6
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

You can file this under "I didn't know that!" Empty Re: You can file this under "I didn't know that!"

Post by bizzeedee Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:06 am

hmmm, very interesting!
bizzeedee
bizzeedee
Really Not Getting Much Done Around the House

Number of posts : 4243
Honeycomb : Sweet Bee ~ Level 6 ~
Registration date : 2008-03-10

Back to top Go down

You can file this under "I didn't know that!" Empty Re: You can file this under "I didn't know that!"

Post by edbson Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:15 am

I plant mine in the dirt outside, I have a huge patch of green onions now....just stick the roots in, and they grow like crazy.
edbson
edbson

Number of posts : 5916
Honeycomb : Level 6~ the abyss,
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post by tara Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:16 am

I have always just cut them straight from the garden and they regrow.
tara
tara

Number of posts : 6833

http://www.mythirtyone.com/taras/

Back to top Go down

Post by thebigscott Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:06 pm

Cool! I hardly ever use them but it's a great tip.

Tara, do they not freeze in the winter outside?
thebigscott
thebigscott

Number of posts : 9214
Honeycomb : Level 6 ~ Sweet Bee

http://messierobjects.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by joedonot Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:14 pm

This is absolutely awesome and I can't wait to plant some! This old dog can learn some new tricks.
joedonot
joedonot
Queen Bee
Queen Bee

Number of posts : 258
Honeycomb : Sweet Bee Level 6
Registration date : 2008-12-31

http://www.bzzagent.com

Back to top Go down

Post by tara Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:49 pm

Of course, strictly summer gardening around here.
tara
tara

Number of posts : 6833

http://www.mythirtyone.com/taras/

Back to top Go down

Post by Lori Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:17 pm

gdpszak, I agree- I love learning new things!
Lori
Lori

Back to top Go down

Post by Nyssa Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:16 pm

I'll toss in a couple of other similar ideas that were nifty projects back when I was a kid.

You can start a very nice plant from an avocado pit by sticking toothpicks around it, then propping it up in a glass of water. Once the roots form and leaves start to grow, you can pot it up into a nice house plant.

You can also start a nice plant from the top of a sweet potato. Cut about 2-3 inches off one end and place the cut end down on a saucer of water. Or if you prefer, you can use the toothpick-and-glass method of the avocado idea. Once the leaves and vines start you can either pot it as a house plant or, even better in the long run, plant it in a large pot or basket (a bushel basket is the right size) and put it outside to grow. You'll get a crop of sweet potatoes eventually for your efforts.

Just for a gee-whiz project for kids, you can grow a plant from a carrot top. Slice the top inch or so off a carrot and place the cut end on a saucer with water. A new set of top leaves will grow from it. No, it can't be planted to make a "new" carrot, but it's kinda neat to watch.

As for the green onion idea, yeah, that's why I keep a vegetable and herb garden. Smile I use chives in a pot out on the deck most of the year for cutting into salads and soups when it's out-of-season for green onions.

Nyssa
In Need of a 12 Step Program

Number of posts : 525
Honeycomb : Just entering the Black Hole
Registration date : 2008-06-17

http://nyssa.cnc.net

Back to top Go down

Post by edbson Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:22 pm

Cut a fresh pineapple, save the top. Let it dry out for a week or so then plant it, in a few years you will have a pineapple baby. ALso, pineapples are theONLY edible Bromeliad.
edbson
edbson

Back to top Go down

Post by bizzeedee Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:26 pm

oh you gals are just full of tricks!
bizzeedee
bizzeedee

Number of posts : 4243
Honeycomb : Sweet Bee ~ Level 6 ~

Back to top Go down

Post by chelle Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:56 pm

For YEARS all my life, I tried to grow an avacado.

I FINALLY got 3 to grow, planted them in my rock garden outside my house. I was so damn proud of them. a few months later was when the house burnt and that was the wall they pulled down. LOL everything else except 2 walls actually burned TO the ground, and the flowers came back, but the side with my 15 sqft of aloe and my avacodos was smushed. LOL

To this day I havent been able to get another to grow.

Same as the sweet tater just use a regular tater.

Actually, when you plant taters, youtake taters withe eyes, cut them into 1/8ths and plant them eye up then cover them in dirt, a lant comes up and the taters go down.

Oh and if your ivy has a peice break off, simply put in a glass of water. OR stick in some soil. or when you trim them back. I have ivy plants that are as old as each of my children. They were all broken off a plant I was given when BR and I married. THEY were at my grandmother in laws when the house burnt, BUT, mine was at home. WE even made Bow one when he was born. I have ivys that are 10, 9 and 5 years old. Plus Bows is almost 2.

At one time thier runners were over 50 ft long. But my dad and I had the great idea to replant them in larger pots. They all died back, I was able to nurse them back, but I am still not happy with their size.
chelle
chelle

Number of posts : 6471
Honeycomb : the abyss with keys that dont fit any locks

http://aretheyalseepyet.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucky Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:08 pm

Leaf lettuce works the same but has to be grown in dirt. It can be grown inside though. You cut to an inch from the ground and it regrows. When I had a garden, we had lettuce until frost this way.
Lucky
Lucky

Number of posts : 1488
Honeycomb : 6 infinity
Registration date : 2008-05-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Connie Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:11 pm

Oh wow... Im going to have odd veggies growing all over the house! I never knew this about green onions.. To be clear.. I can only use the greens above the bulb? Then stick the rest in water? Just leave it on the counter?
Connie
Connie

Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2008-04-03

http://www.katieshugs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by edbson Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:15 am

Make sure they have roots. Yes the green part, change the water daily, or it'll stink.
edbson
edbson

Back to top Go down

Post by Lori Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:46 am

Yeah, my 22 year old is home for a visit and he's amazed. He says it's cheating. LOL
Lori
Lori

Back to top Go down

Post by Connie Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:25 pm

I just bought some green onions today for a salad. Im giving it a try and am very excited to see it work!
Connie
Connie

Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2008-04-03

http://www.katieshugs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down