Unofficial Bzz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My Grandfather *another quick Update*

+5
Lori
tara
BuzzNut
thebigscott
aurora04
9 posters

Go down

My Grandfather  *another quick Update* Empty My Grandfather *another quick Update*

Post by aurora04 Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:35 am

I just want to start by apologizing for not being the greatest member lately and only posting when I need support.

My Grandfather is in the hospital again. He was brought in last night because he couldn't breath very well. They were hoping it was because of the humidity, but we found out today that it is pneumonia again. He was hospitalized for several weeks last year because of pneumonia, but we are hoping that is not the case this time. He has improved slightly, but is still very very sick. I just hate this! My mother was talking to one sister, and she was saying it is a bad time for this to happen (is it ever a good time) because their kids are graduating, grading, etc.... 2 of my aunts are down in Barbados with my cousin, so I don't even know if they know yet that Grandpa is in the hospital. They get back on Thursday tho.

I will be getting the kids to draw/colour Grandpa and his wife pictures again, and I'm in the process of picking out photos to mail up as well. I was doing that anyway on Sunday, but I just started a few days early so hopefully they will be ready to mail on Monday.

Thanks for letting me talk about this again. Hopefully I can update soon with good news about Grandpa, or even good news in general!

Last edited by aurora04 on Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:57 am; edited 2 times in total
aurora04
aurora04
In Need of a 12 Step Program

Number of posts : 766
Honeycomb : Level 6, Sweet Bee
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Back to top Go down

My Grandfather  *another quick Update* Empty Re: My Grandfather *another quick Update*

Post by thebigscott Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:19 am

I'm sorry he's sick again. My Grandfather  *another quick Update* 820607
thebigscott
thebigscott
Really Not Getting Much Done Around the House

Number of posts : 9214
Honeycomb : Level 6 ~ Sweet Bee
Registration date : 2008-03-10

http://messierobjects.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

My Grandfather  *another quick Update* Empty Re: My Grandfather *another quick Update*

Post by BuzzNut Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:50 am

Dawn you sure have had to deal with a lot the last several weeks. I hope things turn around for you soon and things can get back to normal for you.
I hope your grandpa gets back to feeling better very soon.
BuzzNut
BuzzNut

Number of posts : 1737
Honeycomb : Level 6 ....the endless doom
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by tara Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:30 pm

My Grandfather  *another quick Update* 820607
tara
tara

Number of posts : 6833

http://www.mythirtyone.com/taras/

Back to top Go down

Post by aurora04 Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:35 pm

I just got a call from my sister a little while ago. My Grandfather is dying. They don't have a timeline, but his wife figures soon. I don't want to lose him, but I don't want him to suffer just so we can keep him longer.

Sometimes I really hate living here. Chances are there is no way I can go to Ontario. I can use airmiles for the flight, so it won't cost alot (still at least $300), but there is no way I can miss that much time from work. I really want to be there, but I have think of my family as well. Sure, I don't have to go for a week, but what is the point is spending that kind of money to fly to Ontario and only spend 2-3 days there. I would do that if I had to, but I would rather not.
aurora04
aurora04

Back to top Go down

Post by thebigscott Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:01 pm

aurora04 wrote:I just got a call from my sister a little while ago. My Grandfather is dying. They don't have a timeline, but his wife figures soon. I don't want to lose him, but I don't want him to suffer just so we can keep him longer.

Sometimes I really hate living here. Chances are there is no way I can go to Ontario. I can use airmiles for the flight, so it won't cost alot (still at least $300), but there is no way I can miss that much time from work. I really want to be there, but I have think of my family as well. Sure, I don't have to go for a week, but what is the point is spending that kind of money to fly to Ontario and only spend 2-3 days there. I would do that if I had to, but I would rather not.

Contact the airlines and see if they will offer you a bereavement fare. Some of them offer a substantial discount and they might combine it with your miles to make it free. You would need to have some kind of proof of his condition to get a discount, so keep in mind that you may have to ask for a statement from his doctor or something like that. But I'm sure his family wouldn't mind asking for it if it meant that you could afford to come.
thebigscott
thebigscott

Back to top Go down

Post by Lori Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:58 pm

Dawn, so sorry to hear that he's worsening. As much as it hurts, I would wait it out. I called my aunt back from WA state because of my grandmother's condition and she's still here 3 weeks later and my grandma has done a 180. Take some comfort in knowing that your sister is there with him, and maybe you can feel the waters out at work in the meantime and see if you can work out a few extra days after he passes.
Lori
Lori

Number of posts : 8682
Honeycomb : Sweet Bee, Level 6
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by aurora04 Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:34 pm

Thanks! Apparently the airlines down here don't offer discounts anymore for berheavement(sp??). When my BF's father died, her brother had to pay full price for all tickets (and got nothing back afterwards) because their prices are "low anyway". There might be one airline that does offer it still (not sure, will have to look into it), but you have to pay full price first, then they give the discount afterwards. Unfortunetly all my sisters and my brother are here in Nova Scotia. Even my mother is. She's waiting to hear more news before she travels up to Ontario. She doesn't want to wait too long this time before she goes up. Before her mother died, she was told it could be weeks and not to come up yet (she went into a coma), so Mom listened to them, and she died a day later. She does not want that to happen again. He is with his wife and all his other kids (my mother is the only one that lives away) which is good. I am so hoping that the doctors are wrong this time! The prognosis was really bad last year as well, and he recovered, so I'm really hoping and praying that he recovers again this time.
aurora04
aurora04

Back to top Go down

Post by Rebecca1340 Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:14 pm

I'm sure your grandfather would want you to put what's best for your family first. I hope everything works out and no one feels bad and starts saying things like, "should have" and "could have."
Rebecca1340
Rebecca1340
Admin

Number of posts : 6118
Honeycomb : Slowly sinking deeper into the Abyss

http://bzzz.heavenforum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by tara Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:27 pm

I am so sorry Dawn.
tara
tara

Back to top Go down

Post by edbson Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:05 pm

edbson
edbson

Number of posts : 5916
Honeycomb : Level 6~ the abyss,

Back to top Go down

Post by chelle Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:29 pm

I cant say anything to make it better. All I can say is I am sorry.

If you cant go, and the worst does happen, write down a memory of him and you, ask them to post it at the funeral home or have someone read it during the Eulogys. Here our funeral homes make a picture board at the entrance of family and the deceased. Sometimes memories are written up and posted beside them. Its a loving tribute that others can share.
chelle
chelle

Number of posts : 6471
Honeycomb : the abyss with keys that dont fit any locks

http://aretheyalseepyet.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by aurora04 Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:50 pm

I never thought about writing down a memory before. I had already planned on either bringing up some pictures (if I go) or sending some up with my mother and/or sisters.

I still don't have much information. He is now home because he wants to die at home and not in a hospital. He is getting oxygen at home tho. He now has emphesma (sp??) and that is what he is dying from. I am waiting for my mother to call be back. She was talking to my Aunt (her sister) when I called. She sounded in good spirits when I called, so I'm assuming it was to make plans to travel up to Ontario and get more information.

Thanks again everyone!
aurora04
aurora04

Back to top Go down

Post by trax Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:48 pm

May your family be strong
and if your grandpa departs
Hold on to the memories
They will be strong
...take care, we are here, and we do hear you.
trax
trax

Number of posts : 1470
Honeycomb : In Hold Mode - Level 6
Registration date : 2008-04-04

Back to top Go down

Post by aurora04 Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:08 am

Thanks again everyone.

I don't have much to update right now. Apparently things are as urgent as his wife made it out to look. He is on borrowed time, but it wasn't the case of "get here now or you won't get a chance to say goodbye" thing. None of his kids have been up to see him yet (and they all live in Ontario, just a different city a few hours away except for my mother who lives in Nova Scotia). One of my Aunts is going up today apparently to "assess the situation". My mother is waiting to go up until one of her sister's goes and sees him to let her know if she needs to get there in the next few days, or if she has time to get up. The don't want anyone around him who will be crying and upset, because they don't want Grandpa to be upset (understandably). I also found out that I get no berheavement days from work, so anytime I take off will be without pay (and hopefully no reprucssions - sp??? - ). That really sucks, but oh well, there is nothing I can do about their policies.

I'm feeling much better about things, but still not the greatest because I know he is dying, just not as soon as his wife was saying. I'm still not sleeping well, but hopefully that will change, or else I just get that tired that I just crash.

Thanks again everyone.
aurora04
aurora04

Back to top Go down

Post by aurora04 Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:57 am

Just wanted to quickly update again on my Grandfather. My parents just got back from visiting with him. He was so exicted that they were going up. He gave my mother some stuff that he wanted her to have (as well as my family and siblings). My mother said he looks horribly. She is not expecting him to live the month. He is super thin and weak. I am hoping that she is wrong of course (she's not a doctor or in the medical field at all). She said she would be extremely suprised if he makes it until Christmas. I know I'm being selfish, but again I am so hoping that is not the case. I am really hoping for a miracle here. He is not leading a good life right now. He is always tired and can't breath well, but I don't want to lose him. He is the last grandparent I have left, and I'm not prepared to lose him yet (not that a person can really prepare for losing a loved one). Hopefully I won't have to update for awhile!

Thanks again everyone for the support with this. It really means a lot to me.
aurora04
aurora04

Back to top Go down

Post by thebigscott Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:03 pm

(((hugs)))

It's so hard when someone you love is sick.
thebigscott
thebigscott

Back to top Go down

Post by tara Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:54 pm

My Grandfather  *another quick Update* 820607 I'm sorry Dawn
tara
tara

Back to top Go down

Post by trax Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:27 pm

Death is so very hard. I am sorry for you and yours, Dawn My Grandfather  *another quick Update* 820607
trax
trax

Back to top Go down

Post by Rebecca1340 Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:10 pm

I'm sorry that he's still not well. I am glad that your mom got the chance to see him though.
Rebecca1340
Rebecca1340
Admin

Number of posts : 6118
Honeycomb : Slowly sinking deeper into the Abyss

http://bzzz.heavenforum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by aurora04 Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:17 pm

Thanks everyone!
aurora04
aurora04

Back to top Go down

Post by trax Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:53 am

Thinking of you - how is everything?
trax
trax

Back to top Go down

Post by aurora04 Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:03 am

Thanks for asking Trax. There have been no more updates recently, so I'm taking that to mean that he is still the same. He is at least not getting worse yet, so that is good.
aurora04
aurora04

Back to top Go down

Post by trax Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:00 pm

Good to hear, Dawn - take care.
trax
trax

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down