Unofficial Bzz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Advice?

+5
edbson
Lori
Rebecca1340
BuzzNut
KellyM
9 posters

Go down

Advice? Empty Advice?

Post by KellyM Tue May 26, 2009 11:35 am

My daughter will be taking a 3 period CNA course this fall in her senior year of school. I wanted to know for those who might do/have done this type of work, where is the best place to get scrubs? I was thinking about trying to find some cute patterns so we could sew her own, that way she could pick whatever material she wants. Though I would have to do some scouting online cause I know darn well that my walmart doesn't have squat for patterns. Is it better to buy them from a medical supply company?? I will also need to get her some Crocs (or non-Crocs) Apparently she tried my cousin Bobbies Crocs and said they were uncomfortable for her, but she tried the non-Croc brand that my cousins daughter had and liked them (go figure). I am so excited that she joined the class. Anyone know what else I will have to get her? Stethoscope or anything like that??
KellyM
KellyM
Really Not Getting Much Done Around the House

Number of posts : 2887
Registration date : 2008-05-26

Back to top Go down

Advice? Empty Re: Advice?

Post by BuzzNut Tue May 26, 2009 11:45 am

I got a pattern many years ago from Walmart and made alot of my own. I don't know what type of patterns they have now, since I used the one I had over and over.

I also got several from Uniform Advantage. They have a catalog, plus an online store. There are many online uniform places, just do a search and research the cheapest. Scrubs are not cheap, and that is one reason I made alot of my own tops.

Also, you may find some cheap on ebay, I have gotten some from there as well. Cheaper than I could make them. But you have to watch to be sure they have no stains, rips, etc. Most will state that, some won't.

Another resource is Goodwill, Salvation Army thrift stores. I used to check out those too and have gotten some that were like new for almost nothing. Yard sales are a good place to check out too.

As for the Crocs, we were not allowed anything that had openings on the top, like the crocs do. They had to be closed. We could wear clogs, but they had to have NO openings where needles or anything of that nature could puncture your foot if dropped.
BuzzNut
BuzzNut

Number of posts : 1737
Honeycomb : Level 6 ....the endless doom
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Rebecca1340 Tue May 26, 2009 12:02 pm

I would stay away from crocs simply because of the holes in the tops as well. If not for needles, then for any bodily fluids that might splash or drip down. A good quality running shoe would do her feet and back better in the long run anyway.
I don't wear scrubs to work, but I know that up here Walmart, Giant Tiger and a few other stores sell them pretty cheap. Of course prices are probably different in the US.
Rebecca1340
Rebecca1340
Admin

Number of posts : 6118
Honeycomb : Slowly sinking deeper into the Abyss
Registration date : 2008-03-10

http://bzzz.heavenforum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lori Tue May 26, 2009 12:06 pm

I don't know if she'll need to buy a stethoscope or not, but a watch with a second hand will be necessary.
Lori
Lori

Number of posts : 8682
Honeycomb : Sweet Bee, Level 6
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by KellyM Tue May 26, 2009 12:09 pm

I just went to look at Uniform Advantage, they do have some cute stuff there, and the prices of the ones that are on sale aren't too bad. I see what you mean by the holes in the crocs They do have what they call "nursing clogs" they don't have holes and they have a back strap, I think those would be good. I don't have $30.00 right now to spare (furnace was put in today whew talk about a $2500.00 nightmare, but atleast we were able to do it). However $30.00 for a pair of those isn't a horrible price...I think I may just recruit everyone in the family to buy her something for her birthday. One or two can buy her a set of scrubs, one a pair of clogs/crocs, another a stethoscope, etc...I NEVER would have thought about a watch, thanks Lori! Rebecca, our walmart doesn't have scrubs Sad However the prices on the website that BuzzNut suggested aren't too bad for the sale uniforms...
KellyM
KellyM

Back to top Go down

Post by edbson Tue May 26, 2009 12:18 pm

Wal mart sells scrubs patterns , and they are SUPER easy to make.
edbson
edbson

Number of posts : 5916
Honeycomb : Level 6~ the abyss,
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post by tara Tue May 26, 2009 12:44 pm

I got most of mine at garage sales and we all got two sets provided through BOCES. Lori's right on the watch with a second hand and most likely a stethoscope too, at least I had to have one way back when.
tara
tara

Number of posts : 6833

http://www.mythirtyone.com/taras/

Back to top Go down

Post by briteasafirefly Tue May 26, 2009 4:45 pm

I can't help much, but I would wait until you know what she is going to need before you buy anything. I'm sure there's someone that can be contacted that will be able to tell you. Scrubs are probably a sure thing, but they may be only allowed certain colors...
briteasafirefly
briteasafirefly
In Need of a 12 Step Program
In Need of a 12 Step Program

Number of posts : 625
Honeycomb : the doomed level 6
Registration date : 2008-11-28

Back to top Go down

Post by razorstar Tue May 26, 2009 7:55 pm

it also depends on where she works at... hospital or nursing home. i worked as a cna at a nursing home for a few years then at the hospital for one and the rules of each were totally different. if she is in a nursing home you defiantly don't want to buy her clogs or crocs... buy running shoes, something she will be able to move quickly in and something that she doesn't have to worry about either getting wet in the shower or getting body fluids on.
razorstar
razorstar
Worker Bee
Worker Bee

Number of posts : 137
Honeycomb : going nowhere fast
Registration date : 2008-04-02

Back to top Go down

Post by chelle Tue May 26, 2009 11:17 pm

As a major proponent of crocs, (I own 7 pair plus some flip flops. other than a pair of lime green and -periwinkle fat babies its all I own), I will say:
* you have to be careful wearing them, I swear everytime I walk on a highly waxed floor, they will grip and I will almost trip. EVERY DAMN TIME.

* they have to be close toed. they DO make closed toed crocs. (brand name) I dont know if they make closed non crocs. But everyone is right about the holes in teh toes.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
* scrubs, FIND OUT for sure if she can have certain colors. many hospitals assign colors to each floor (heart = white, peds=yellow, ER=blue, labor & del=pink... non medical personel/volunteers polka dotted purple... etc. Doctors can only wear green and no patters and such.
while other places let you wear what ever, or have each day assigned a differnt color/pattern...

* Tell her GOOD LUCK!!
chelle
chelle

Number of posts : 6471
Honeycomb : the abyss with keys that dont fit any locks

http://aretheyalseepyet.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by KellyM Wed May 27, 2009 10:52 pm

I did find out a little today...

-There is a medical supply place in the next town (Presque Isle) and their prices aren't too bad, if you tell them you are a student they give 10% off. They have everything there she will need and they also have gift certificates so if anyone wanted to give her a gift cert for that store she can take it and go get what she wants.
- They are allowed to wear whatever kind/color/pattern of scrubs they want, as long as the style doesn't hamper their ability to do their clinical.
-ERIN, I did go look for fun at Walmart's patterns. I just figured they wouldn't have any because they cut the fabric and sewing dept by 2/3, they used to have 4 times the amount of patterns that they have now, but SURE ENOUGH, just like you said, they had 4 different scrub patterns! So I know when I have a few bucks I am going back there and grabbing a couple patterns.
KellyM
KellyM

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down