Unofficial Bzz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Advice for a salesman....

+5
bizzeedee
Lori
thebigscott
Starrlyte
edbson
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Advice for a salesman.... Empty Advice for a salesman....

Post by edbson Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:08 pm

Ok, so if you are an Appliance Salesman, and you are trying to sell me a stove, here is some advice:

1. If I say " I know you are on commission, and when I decide which one I want I will come get you to make the sale", that menas LEAVE ME ALONE, I KNOW WHAT I WANT!

2. If your Breath is so bad that people standing 3 feet away from you are backing up, PLEASE take the Altoid I offer you! YES, my kids will make a comment on your breath, and they have one volume, LOUD.

3. If I ask if a certain one is in stock do NOT tell me, well, I am not gonna check on that one, this other one that is ONLY $100 more is better.....bud, I will leave and go to Lowes and look at the damn thing in peace!

So this is why I dislike salesman today.....and I still need a stove. Dh has some wild antibiotic induced hair in his ass that we should suddenly go "all electric". .......whatever.

Did I mention I cannot cook on an electric stove?
edbson
edbson

Number of posts : 5916
Honeycomb : Level 6~ the abyss,
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Back to top Go down

Advice for a salesman.... Empty Re: Advice for a salesman....

Post by Starrlyte Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:18 pm

ROFL Erin!!! You poor thing!!! I do not blame you in any way, shape or form for being annoyed! And why, if you have the choice, would anyone ever want to go all electric?? I mean if that's the only choice, that's fine, but if you have the choice??? YIKES!
Starrlyte
Starrlyte
In Need of a Life
In Need of a Life

Number of posts : 349
Honeycomb : 5
Registration date : 2008-04-04

Back to top Go down

Post by thebigscott Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:21 pm

Girl, did you rob a bank I don't know about? Just joking. If I had the budget, I'd be shopping for new appliances too. But not with that salesman, or not for long! He sounds awful!

I only know how to cook on electric. I think I've used a gas stove three times in my life.
thebigscott
thebigscott
Really Not Getting Much Done Around the House

Number of posts : 9214
Honeycomb : Level 6 ~ Sweet Bee
Registration date : 2008-03-10

http://messierobjects.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Lori Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:27 pm

I think men still treat women like we don't really know what we want or need when we purchase large ticket items. They have not yet realized that we hold ALL the purse strings when it comes to major purchases and we most certainly DO know what we want. My money and I walk right out the door when I get annoyed at salesmen, just like you did, Erin.
Lori
Lori

Number of posts : 8682
Honeycomb : Sweet Bee, Level 6
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by edbson Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:03 pm

Exactly, DH is not going to cook on it, in the case of other appliances he is not going to wash or dry clothes in it. He has NO idea where the pilot light is on the water heater. I do all that.
edbson
edbson

Back to top Go down

Post by bizzeedee Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:40 pm

I grew up with a gas range... but have used electric ever since I left the nest (and I won't say how many years ago that was Smile )

I balked with the first electric range, but have grown to love it. It's clean. No fumes. No "oops" the pilot is out. No "what's that smell?" "oh, the pilots out and gas is just there.

But I do empathize with you, having to deal with that salesman... or any for that matter... I like to look. If I'm interested in a model, I'll ask. But let me alone until then, pleaaaaaaaaaaaase !
bizzeedee
bizzeedee

Number of posts : 4243
Honeycomb : Sweet Bee ~ Level 6 ~

Back to top Go down

Post by BeachyBum Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:03 pm

I left Lowe's and Home Depot for near the same reaso when I had to buy my fridge.
The lady at Sears bent over backwards to get me what I wanted, and gave me time to make up my own mind!

I've never had a gas stove, although I hate cooking, so I suppose electric is just dandy to me. lol
BeachyBum
BeachyBum
In Need of a 12 Step Program
In Need of a 12 Step Program

Number of posts : 791
Honeycomb : Sweet Bee ~ Level 6 ~ 2 Golden Keys ~ Bzzing since 2003
Registration date : 2008-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by chelle Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:08 am

oh Erin, you POOR thing, we are trying to get a gas stove. As soon as I blow this one up. and I am trying my little heart out I promise you.

DONT get a glass top. EVER.

Make sure you get heavy duty burners, my MIL has went through about 4 stoves in 12 years. I kid you not.

And they SUCK for canning. SUCK. Tell hubby you will be breaking burners, burning them out and it is in NO way worth it. I promise.

Not to mention, you will burn EVERYTHING for a few months.

I did have a decent elec stove in my first house, it was 30 years old, so it was still made semi right. I didnt burn out burners, could make 20 pounds of chili etc. I cant on this one. I cant even use my black skillets.. Sad

And canning a decent amount at a time is out of the question. It takes FOEVER to boil water, takes FORVER to bring it BACK to a boil, I HATE mine.

Now I have to go. I am trying to boil water for my hot bath for my watermelon Jelly. Its been about 10 minutes, so maybe its close...
chelle
chelle

Number of posts : 6471
Honeycomb : the abyss with keys that dont fit any locks

http://aretheyalseepyet.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by chelle Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:08 am

and the salesman sounds like he sucked too. .. Sad
chelle
chelle

Back to top Go down

Post by bizzeedee Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:16 am

I think a discussion about gas and electric stoves is very much like republicans and democrats trying to convince the other to vote for their candidate.

Each camp has a good arguement, but will never agree Laughing
bizzeedee
bizzeedee

Back to top Go down

Post by tara Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:33 am

I agree with Chelle, glass tops suck! I was so excited to get one and I HATE it, water burns and sticks to it...... yup plain old ordinary water.
tara
tara

Number of posts : 6833

http://www.mythirtyone.com/taras/

Back to top Go down

Post by Lori Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:39 am

Chelle, I would love it if you'd post your watermelon jelly recipe in the recipe section.

Pretty please?
Lori
Lori

Number of posts : 8682
Honeycomb : Sweet Bee, Level 6
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by edbson Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:33 pm

I got an electric one, and so far it is ok. I cooked grilled cheese on it, then put a BIG pot of water to see how long it took. 39 quarts took 15 minutes to boil....not bad IMO Smile
edbson
edbson

Back to top Go down

Post by thebigscott Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:42 pm

I'm so glad that you got one you like! I know it's hard to switch around when you're used to doing things a certain way. One good thing about electric is that you can clean the burners themselves by just putting them on high and cooking the grease off. And I always replace the burner drip pans with black porcelain ones. They're easier to clean and you can go longer without cleaning them because the bits of burned food that fall in there don't show up against the black.
thebigscott
thebigscott

Back to top Go down

Post by edbson Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:59 pm

This one came with the porcelain drip pans...but they are white Sad. I wanted black, but the black just would not look right in my white applianced kitchen....Lol I might buy some black ones later this week..as soon as I can find them.

I got a good deal, it was originally $ 1199.00, on clearance for $698 at lowes, it was on sale because it was the last one in stock, and it laso had a scratch. I got it for $498, after I pointed out the scratch, and insisted on talking to a manager....I guess he figured he could unload it, and I would go away sooner if he gave me a deal. I touched up the scratch with white finger nail polish, it is not noticeable at all now.

it is this one, but white....

Advice for a salesman.... 05711210
edbson
edbson

Back to top Go down

Post by thebigscott Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:17 am

OMG! I have the same stove! Well, sort of. This one has fancier controls and a fancy digital clock. Mine is old. I mean really old. We bought it second hand years ago. Mine is brown and doesn't match anything in the kitchen. But, we use that griddle all the time. Pancakes and grilled cheese and french toast and bacon and burgers if it's not nice enough to cook out. And you can pull it out to clean it so that's very handy. I don't use the left oven often, but it's nice for warming things up when the weather is hot and you don't want to heat the whole kitchen. Plus it's good for baking side dishes while you're doing a turkey in the big oven.

You got a great deal on it! I'm half tempted to go see if my Lowes has one in stock at that price. You can find the drip pans at most hardware stores. They aren't too expensive and are worth it because of not having to bother cleaning every last speck that falls in there.
thebigscott
thebigscott

Back to top Go down

Post by chelle Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:31 am

Ohhhh Erin!! I want that stove in Gas!! My aunt has it in Gas. Great deal too!!

I am just glad its not a glass top. LIke tara said, if you spill water on it there is NO burning it off. it just ruins the top. mine will NEVER come clean. Specially after all the canning I have been doing. You are GONA spill water when you can. LOL

i am glad you are happy. and good luck with it! It will take LOTS of getting used to. and sadly no more cookin when the lights go out. That is the worst part. At least during the weeks we are sometimes with out elec due to differnt storms or something with a gas you can still cook. Smile

Lori, why sure. I will post it now before I forget Smile
chelle
chelle

Back to top Go down

Post by thebigscott Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:39 am

Chelle, have you tried cleaning it with lime away?
thebigscott
thebigscott

Back to top Go down

Post by chelle Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:06 am

No, I havent. I gave up on cleaning it a while back. is that citrus based? would it pit the glass? I might try it. as much as I cant afford it, I really do need a real stove. These damn pretties are NOT worth it. I want a workhorse, not a poodle. Smile
chelle
chelle

Back to top Go down

Post by tara Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:36 am

I use plain old baking soda and a scrubby, I clean it immediately after cooking and it is still never going to come clean. I agree not worth it- but it was to replace the ancient gas stove, lol. There was one here when we moved in and I HATED it, maybe because I had never used one and I hate cooking as it is, and that damn stove ruined everything. Plus gas scares me, I know it's stupid but it does.
tara
tara

Number of posts : 6833

http://www.mythirtyone.com/taras/

Back to top Go down

Post by edbson Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:47 am

I LOVED my gas stove, and I am guessing this will take some getting used to. I don't especially love it, but I can deal....and the not cooking whne the power is out is a bonus!
edbson
edbson

Back to top Go down

Post by bizzeedee Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:50 am

Is that a grille in the center? Love it.

As for the porcelain drip pans. I don't like them. My white Maytag came with light gray ones. Cleaning them was difficult and I found only Barkeepers Friend was user friendly. One day, I accidently knock one against my porcelain sink, it it chipped a piece of the drip pan porcelain... then I began noticing more chips.

So bought some good stainless steel ones, and they clean up so easily and don't get nicks and scratches.
bizzeedee
bizzeedee

Back to top Go down

Post by thebigscott Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:48 am

My model has a griddle under that cover.

I just run the drip pans through the dishwasher ever now and again and they come out fine. They can chip, but with the black ones you'd never notice.
thebigscott
thebigscott

Back to top Go down

Post by edbson Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:52 am

Yep, it has a griddle thing, don't know that I will ever use it, but it is there. I DO like the smaller overn, for rolls and such. I usually soak my drip pans and they come out fine, don't have a dishwasher, and don't want one.
edbson
edbson

Back to top Go down

Post by KellyM Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:51 pm

edbson I agree and more! About 3 years ago we decided to get a washer and dryer with our tax return. We had to buy the dryer because ours had quit. The washer we had still worked but it was old and beat up from washing tons of laundry over the course of 11 years. We decided if we were going to buy one we might as well get the other while we had the money. We went into a few different places, checked some prices. What I really wanted for a washer and dryer they didn't have anywhere else but Sears. We went into Sears and walked around looking at the different washers and dryers and found the particular kind I wanted. We found the salesman and I told him we needed a dryer and were interested in purchasing a washer too. I just wanted to ask a couple questions about this particular model. He assured me that he would come right back with my answers, but instead I saw him walk right over to another couple who had come in. I could understand it if he was telling them that he would be right with them and came back, but he didn't! You see, these people were dressed in designer clothing and I think his reasoning was that he would have a chance of getting a bigger sale/commission with them because of the way they were dressed vs the way my husband and I were dressed (tshirt and jeans). He spent over 20 mins talking with these people (keep in mind we live in a small area, so only one salesperson per section) I was so pissed that even though I wanted that particular washer and dryer I wanted to teach that guy a lesson even more. I noticed that after all that talking, the couple he spent all his time on ended up walking away and leaving the store at which time he went somewhere(i suppose to find out what I had asked him about). My husband and I waited for him to come back and I told him that we had not decided to buy our appliances from him, that I would go somewhere that had better customer service and somewhere where my money meant something. He turned bright red and his jaw hit the floor and my hubby and I went to a local communtiy appliance store. I didn't get the exact model I wanted but I got the best customer service you could imagine and they even took care of delivery and removal of the old appliances for free and threw in the new dryer vent hose and hooked that up for free too. When the day comes that I need another appliance I know where I am going, and it's not Sears.
KellyM
KellyM

Number of posts : 2887
Registration date : 2008-05-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next