Unofficial Bzz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I have the willies this morning

+7
Missy
Rebecca1340
tara
Honey
BeachyBum
edbson
Lori
11 posters

Go down

I have the willies this morning Empty I have the willies this morning

Post by Lori Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:55 am

DH just called and told me that someone he works with had just called in. A week ago he had been at his cabin and started putting his boots on. One of them felt weird, like the tongue or liner had gotten all pushed up into the boot. So he took the boot off to stat over and saw blood on his foot/sock. He gave the boot a good bang on the ground and a bat fell out. Took the bat to the vet. The vet called today and said the bat was rabid and he'll need to go through the series of rabies shots. OMG I have the willies so bad! We have a lot of bats around here, you'll see them swooping around at dusk, and have had one in the house flying around once. We managed to get it out with a broom, but the kids thought it was a laugh riot. Now I say that bats are all fun and games until someone gets rabies.
Lori
Lori

Number of posts : 8682
Honeycomb : Sweet Bee, Level 6
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

I have the willies this morning Empty Re: I have the willies this morning

Post by edbson Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:58 am

We have a few bats also, not alot since Rita but they swoop down in the evenings. I don't let them freak me out, unless one was in the house then I would be freaked.
edbson
edbson

Number of posts : 5916
Honeycomb : Level 6~ the abyss,
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post by BeachyBum Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:09 am

there's alot of bats here at dusk ..... never come close to one though. I'd freak too!
BeachyBum
BeachyBum
In Need of a 12 Step Program
In Need of a 12 Step Program

Number of posts : 791
Honeycomb : Sweet Bee ~ Level 6 ~ 2 Golden Keys ~ Bzzing since 2003
Registration date : 2008-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Honey Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:43 am

Lots of bats here too. They eat lots of mosquitoes so we like having them. Just always make it a rule to check your boot before you put your foot in it and you should be ok. Dh found a mouse in his boot once.
Honey
Honey
Really Not Getting Much Done Around the House

Number of posts : 1859
Honeycomb : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by tara Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:06 am

That gives me the willies too. We are surrounded by bats from spring until fall, we did get them out of the porch though- that really scared me, they got very close to my head, lol. They help keep the skeeter population down. Rabies scare me, bats don't really, well they would if they were in my shoe....
tara
tara

Number of posts : 6833
Registration date : 2008-03-10

http://www.mythirtyone.com/taras/

Back to top Go down

Post by Rebecca1340 Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:07 am

We have lots of bats here too -- especially right now while they're fattening up for their winter hibernation. They don't bother me when they're outside, but I hate them when they're in an enclosed space!
One of the group homes I work in is a big 2 1/2 story home that's over 100 years old and bats get in there all the time. I had to take one of the clients for rabies shots a few years ago because one got into her apartment and it flew away before we could catch it (well, the other staff was trying to catch it to take for analysis, but I was going for the kill!). The good news is that the shots they give here for rabies aren't as bad as they used to be...
Rebecca1340
Rebecca1340
Admin

Number of posts : 6118
Honeycomb : Slowly sinking deeper into the Abyss

http://bzzz.heavenforum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Missy Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:21 pm

I have seen them flying around during the warmer months at night. And they scare me!! I have yet to see one in a home though. My ex wanted one as a pet... *shivers*

I can not even make it through the whole Australia house at the zoo because of those dang things. At the end (in the bat room), I am pressed against the wall (mission impossible style) and shuffling my way out of there so quick.
Missy
Missy

Number of posts : 2031
Honeycomb : Level 6- The Abyss
Registration date : 2008-04-25

http://www.cafemom.com/home/missmissy

Back to top Go down

Post by thebigscott Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:27 pm

I rather like seeing them fly around at night. But I know they do often carry rabies which is extraordinarily dangerous (100% mortality rate without treatment!) so I don't think I'd care to get one in the house.
thebigscott
thebigscott

Number of posts : 9214
Honeycomb : Level 6 ~ Sweet Bee

http://messierobjects.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by mandja Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:44 pm

I am sure there are bats around here... but I have never seen one... unless you count the zoo... it would give me the willies also!
mandja
mandja
In Need of a Life
In Need of a Life

Number of posts : 377
Honeycomb : 6
Registration date : 2008-06-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Lori Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:45 pm

You don't have to be afraid of them, Missy. They don't want anything to do with us. All they want is their bugs, and shelter at night. It's the shelter thing that usually brings them into contact with humans.

We saw one all folded up underneath the ledge of brick on the front porch one day. With a little bit of poking he unfolded himself and flew off into the trees. I have no idea how the one that was inside the house got in.
I have the willies this morning Dontkn10

When we were younger and my grandparents would take us kids up to their cottage on the weekends we would arrive late at night. We went inside one night and my sister said to my grandpa "Ha, ha, very funny." There was a bat just hanging in a doorway and it must have looked very fake and planned out to her. She thought our grandpa had placed it there to scare us. LOL This was followed by the usual screaming and squealing and swatting at the bat with a broom until he got it outside.
Lori
Lori

Back to top Go down

Post by Missy Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:12 pm

I am terrified of anything that flies. My ex used to torment me when we were dating with his aunt's bird, and it gave me a phobia. (yeah, I know.. what a great guy. One of the many reasons why he is an ex) I can't even stand when i see a bird walking, if I know it can just pick up and fly. The only kind i like are penguins... and they can't fly. =)

All this talk makes me think of the Great Outdoors movie and the part when the bat gets into the house and Dan Akroyd and John Candy go in to get rid of it. lmao I need to watch that movie again. CLASSIC!!
Missy
Missy

Number of posts : 2031
Honeycomb : Level 6- The Abyss
Registration date : 2008-04-25

http://www.cafemom.com/home/missmissy

Back to top Go down

Post by chelle Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:04 pm

That is scary lori. My kids LOVE to torture the bats here. They go out and throw a balled up sock up in the air and the bats swoop after it. Their uncles taught them that.

I can remember being a kid, my grandparents had a pool and we would be swimming at night and the bats would swoop down and try to catch the bugs, Once my grandmother fiqured out why we were screaming and laughing and carrying on she made us stop swimming at night Sad
chelle
chelle

Number of posts : 6471
Honeycomb : the abyss with keys that dont fit any locks

http://aretheyalseepyet.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by thebigscott Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:50 am

We have a cave. Well, sort of. It's on some land that my MIL owns. Anyhow, we go caving once or twice a year (but less often now since Quinn isn't old enough). And one of the funniest things I can remember was one time about 3 years ago. We were in the main dome and Caly and Zaven were wanting to go down a passage that had washed out a bunch since the last time we were there. It was perfectly straight and fairly big. I could have gone down it on my hands and knees and Caly could almost just do it by stooping. But Scott and I didn't feel like going because we would have had to back out the whole way since it didn't look like there was enough room to turn around if you're a big person (and we are), and we're already tired and sopping wet from wading chest deep in a river (carrying the kids on our backs cause they are too short). So I told them I'd wait near the end where I could see them and they could go down and check it out and come back. So off they crawled. And all of the sudden Caly lets out this short, sharp scream and a bat comes flying out over their heads. I was sure she was scared to death so I was yelling for her to just come on out. And she yells NO! I asked if she wants me to come after her and she yells NO! So five minutes later they come tumbling back out the entrance laughing their asses off and Caly talking so fast that it's just gibberish. Finally she calms down enough to say, "That was so much fun! I think I might have peed my pants!"
thebigscott
thebigscott

Back to top Go down

Post by Lori Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:55 am

I have the willies this morning 88315

I love it! Mom is going into rescue mode and the kiddles don't want to be rescued.

Karen I am so jealous that you have a cave you can explore! I freakin' love caves! I'm not a spelunker, but I've been known to go out of my way to visit some. Took the kids to Cedar Point in Ohio and had to make a detour to see Seneca Caverns. Seeing Mammoth Cave National Park is on my Bucket List.
Lori
Lori

Back to top Go down

Post by chelle Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:11 am

cascade caverns is great too.
chelle
chelle

Number of posts : 6471
Honeycomb : the abyss with keys that dont fit any locks

http://aretheyalseepyet.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by thebigscott Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:47 am

Lori wrote:I have the willies this morning 88315

I love it! Mom is going into rescue mode and the kiddles don't want to be rescued.

Karen I am so jealous that you have a cave you can explore! I freakin' love caves! I'm not a spelunker, but I've been known to go out of my way to visit some. Took the kids to Cedar Point in Ohio and had to make a detour to see Seneca Caverns. Seeing Mammoth Cave National Park is on my Bucket List.

Well shoot! Just come visit me. You can see Mammoth and do some wild caving, too. We have to plan out the wild caving with an eye to the weather, though. You wade through a river so it can't be right after heavy rains, and worse than that, the idiots who live nearby had some sort of problem with their septic tanks so just started dumping their waste in the fields. So no summer caving for fear of bacteria in the water. We wait until the first cold fronts come through in fall. Then the next warm weekend after that we go in.

BTW, the "river" we'd be crossing has almost NO current, (just enough not to be stagnant) and rock walls on either side that you can reach out and touch. Scott has been doing this since he was 4 (I have the cutest pics of him!) and if you take proper care it's not crazy dangerous. Yes, there is some danger. But we've never had an injury on one of our trips.
thebigscott
thebigscott

Back to top Go down

Post by Lori Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:00 am

It won't be this year, Karen, but I'm keeping this in mind for a fall getaway. I don't know what it is about caves, but I tend to be a troll-like person. I'm more comfortable in rooms with lower ceilings and when I sit in a restaurant I prefer to sit in the corner with my back to the wall. It's psychological, I know, and my son feels the same way, so we often fight over seats in a restaurant. We had this discussion recently and I told him to note that he had the corner seat so next time it was mine.
Lori
Lori

Back to top Go down

Post by thebigscott Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:06 am

It would be so much fun! I love caves, too.
thebigscott
thebigscott

Back to top Go down

Post by Sharon Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:30 am

The polar caves in N.H. are a neat place to visit