Unofficial Bzz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trying to chill out and de-stress before going crazy..

+4
Missy
thebigscott
Lori
KellyM
8 posters

Go down

Trying to chill out and de-stress before going crazy.. Empty Trying to chill out and de-stress before going crazy..

Post by KellyM Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:28 pm

Ok, so I have from now til tomorrow morning to make a homer simpson cake for my hubby's work. One of the guys is going to be a father soon, so rather than make a frilly cake, the people in his dept decided homer simpson (because he is a simpsons fan). I was supposed to bake them this morning and freeze them (they carve easier when frozen)so that way I could be decorating them by now. But instead, my daughter called home an hour after she got to school wanting me to go get her cause she was sick. So I did that. Dropped her off at home and went to the next town over from here with mom, she had errands and I had to find a bakery box for the cake (not easy in a small town) I had to go to a couple stores and then beg for one of them to sell me their 1/2 sheet cake bakery boxes. Then off to find black shoe string licorice. I went to (and I am not kidding you) about 20 stores trying to find some, I could only find red. I needed black for homers 2 hairs on his head and his zig-zag hair by his ear, nothing... Don't people make cakes where they use this anymore, you know kitty and bunny whiskers, spider legs? Apparently not. So I came home made supper and just got done baking 4 cakes and I think I have to bake one more. It's double layer and the size of a 1/2 sheet cake so it takes a few cakes put together. Then comes freezing, carving, frosting, decorating, and I still dont' have very promising options for hair. I have black licorice twizzlers (couldn't find the pull and peel which would have worked too) so I will have to try to find hubby's exacto knife, though I don't think it will work. The only other options is black bendable craft wire or pipe cleaners (don't know if his coworkers will be crazy about non-edibles in the cake, and of course black frosting in the tube (won't get the 3d effect with that). I will be glad when it's done and I can relax....
KellyM
KellyM
Really Not Getting Much Done Around the House

Number of posts : 2887
Registration date : 2008-05-26

Back to top Go down

Trying to chill out and de-stress before going crazy.. Empty Re: Trying to chill out and de-stress before going crazy..

Post by Lori Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:35 pm

Kelly, despite your setbacks, it sounds like you have mad cake decorating skills! That's awesome that you've taken this on at the last minute.

You're right, I have not seen black licorice laces in a long time. Yet every woman's magazine issue features the spider cupcake recipes at Halloween. I wish you luck and I hope that all of your efforts are appreciated when the cake is done!

P.S.
I love cake. Especially wedding cake. Just fond out my niece is not going to have a cake for her wedding reception because they don't want to spend that kind of money. I am bummed out. Even my husband keeps saying "Have you EVER been to a wedding that didn't have cake?"
Lori
Lori

Number of posts : 8682
Honeycomb : Sweet Bee, Level 6
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Trying to chill out and de-stress before going crazy.. Empty Re: Trying to chill out and de-stress before going crazy..

Post by thebigscott Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:32 pm

I want a cake! I've been looking for black string licorice forever. I saw a cute recipe where you made sugar cookies shaped like Christmas tree lights, then strung them on black licorice as the electric wire. So cute, but where in the world do you find black licorice.

How is Wynonna doing? Was she bad sick, or just a cold?
thebigscott
thebigscott

Number of posts : 9214
Honeycomb : Level 6 ~ Sweet Bee
Registration date : 2008-03-10

http://messierobjects.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Missy Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:36 pm

I have seen them.. maybe Walgreens? But it has been some time since I have seen it though... maybe they stopped making it because it wasn't selling but for dessert decor?

I know plenty of people that would love a Homer cake too. lol

I hope your daughter is feeling better soon! Good luck on the cake!
Missy
Missy

Number of posts : 2031
Honeycomb : Level 6- The Abyss
Registration date : 2008-04-25

http://www.cafemom.com/home/missmissy

Back to top Go down

Post by KellyM Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:38 pm

Karen, that sounds really cute, if I ever find the black shoelace licorice I might make those. I thought somewhere would have them, I tried every place I could think of. I just can't believe people don't use or eat it as much anymore.
I suppose a person could order it off the net, but how often are you going to use it to make it worthwhile?
Wynonna has been feeling really crappy since her Remicade treatment on Friday, but it could also be because they are reducing her steroid dosage, or it could be a combination of the two.
KellyM
KellyM

Back to top Go down

Post by tara Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:34 pm

I hope she is just feeling ill as a side effect and not in pain still? I say go for the pipe cleaners, it's not like they will have to take the cake apart, it's just one spot and personally I like the 3D effect.
tara
tara

Number of posts : 6833

http://www.mythirtyone.com/taras/

Back to top Go down

Post by tara Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:34 pm

oh and don;t forget to share pictures!!!!!
tara
tara

Back to top Go down

Post by edbson Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:48 pm

I saw the black licorice today at walmart. But what about using tootsie rolls, and stretching/rolling them out? Kinda drk brown, but might work.

I have cake, my aunt brought me a black forrest cake for my bday, and I have cheesecake from dh.....and I am working my way thru both of them.
edbson
edbson

Number of posts : 5916
Honeycomb : Level 6~ the abyss,
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post by edbson Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:48 pm

OH, and if I got invited to a wedding without cake, I would show up without a gift.I go for the cake and beer.
edbson
edbson

Number of posts : 5916
Honeycomb : Level 6~ the abyss,
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post by chelle Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:55 pm

sorry you couldnt find wha tyou needed!!

tootsie rolls was my thought too.

and I agree about the cake!! tell them to go to the local grocery store. They are MUCH cheaper. OR hell, even a walmart cake is better than nothing.

I want CAKE, and to see some idiot get drunk and make a fool of themselves if I get all dressed up and wear heals to a wedding.
chelle
chelle

Number of posts : 6471
Honeycomb : the abyss with keys that dont fit any locks

http://aretheyalseepyet.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by KellyM Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:30 am

Well, it didn't turn out as well as I'd like, but it wasn't a complete embarrassment..

Trying to chill out and de-stress before going crazy.. Homercake
Trying to chill out and de-stress before going crazy.. 100_1278

Last edited by KellyM on Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:01 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added another pic)
KellyM
KellyM

Back to top Go down

Post by thebigscott Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:33 am

I love it! You did a great job!
thebigscott
thebigscott

Number of posts : 9214
Honeycomb : Level 6 ~ Sweet Bee

http://messierobjects.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by mrschia Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:09 am

OMG, you did an amazing job, WOW!!!!
mrschia
mrschia
In Need of a 12 Step Program
In Need of a 12 Step Program

Number of posts : 670
Honeycomb : Level 6~ Sweet Bee
Registration date : 2008-04-03

Back to top Go down

Post by tara Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:01 am

It's wonderful Kelly!!!!!
tara
tara

Back to top Go down

Post by chelle Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:01 pm

Thats beautiful!! you have inspired me.

not that I cant supress that insperation, but you did inspire me Smile
chelle
chelle

Number of posts : 6471
Honeycomb : the abyss with keys that dont fit any locks

http://aretheyalseepyet.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Missy Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:35 pm

WOW!! That is so cool!!!
Missy
Missy

Number of posts : 2031
Honeycomb : Level 6- The Abyss
Registration date : 2008-04-25

http://www.cafemom.com/home/missmissy

Back to top Go down

Post by Lori Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:12 pm

Awesome! I hope they appreciated it!

I agree about the necessity of having a cake at a wedding. It's just a tradition that shouldn't be broken. It would be bad luck. I'm pretty sure the wedding wouldn't even be legal without a cake!
Lori
Lori

Number of posts : 8682
Honeycomb : Sweet Bee, Level 6
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by KellyM Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:26 pm

I mentioned to mom today that I have been craving wedding cake lately and that someone needs to get married. lol As it is, today is my birthday and after baking all that cake last night and messing around with a ton of frosting I couldn't care if I looked at another cake for weeks. I told Krishn (my hubby) to please not bring cake home. I would rather have a Skybar and a Dr Pepper or something. For years I have been craving 2 things that I can no longer find anywhere, one is an Aero chocolate bar, they used to sell them in the Irvings around here because they are made in Canada can't find them anymore, another was a soda that the little corner store (long since closed) used to sell Brunswick soda, my favorite was the Cream Soda, but they also had Strawberry. Orange. etc. I have had tons of Cream Sodas since then and I haven't liked any of them, the Brunswick cream soda had a little more of the pineapple flavor than the syrupy sweet flavor.. see what happens when someone starts to talk about food? lol
KellyM
KellyM

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down