Unofficial Bzz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Let's talk politics

+10
Was64
BeachyBum
KellyM
trax
thebigscott
edbson
Rebecca1340
chelle
tara
bizzeedee
14 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Let's talk politics - Page 3 Empty Re: Let's talk politics

Post by Rebecca1340 Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:09 am

I'll have to look Roy up, I've never heard of him!
Oh, I just had a great idea to help all you Americans with the proper spelling of humour, colour, neighbour, ect... I'll set the word filters up here to automatically change them for you! Wouldn't that be a great help? Let's talk politics - Page 3 88315 I really should do that and see how long it takes anyone to notice!
Rebecca1340
Rebecca1340
Admin

Number of posts : 6118
Honeycomb : Slowly sinking deeper into the Abyss
Registration date : 2008-03-10

http://bzzz.heavenforum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rebecca1340 Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:11 am

chelle wrote:
Rebecca1340 wrote:Ok, we'll blame Chelle. The Europeans haven't really done anything to us North Americans lately so I can't see it being their fault.

Your right, and they DID take madonna... we owe them Smile
Speaking of Madonna, when did she get a British accent? I saw her on an interview and all I could think was that she didn't sound like she's from Detroit anymore!
Rebecca1340
Rebecca1340
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by chelle Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:11 am

ohhhhhhhhh

I just realized.. this site is personalized for ME!! Smile all them spinnin shells... makes me like them.. Smile

okay, I am procrastinating.. I was supposed to go grocery shopping as soon as I took the kids to the bus stop at 6:20... But I havent checked my sales papers, wrote my list or cheked my coupons... Sad
chelle
chelle

Number of posts : 6471
Honeycomb : the abyss with keys that dont fit any locks

http://aretheyalseepyet.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by thebigscott Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:12 am

One April Fool's day Scott changed the automatic spelling on a co-worker's computer so that every time he typed the word "the" it was corrected to "Happy April Fool's Day from Scott".
thebigscott
thebigscott
Really Not Getting Much Done Around the House

Number of posts : 9214
Honeycomb : Level 6 ~ Sweet Bee

http://messierobjects.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Rebecca1340 Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:14 am

LMAO!!!
Rebecca1340
Rebecca1340
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by chelle Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:15 am

Rebecca1340 wrote:I'll have to look Roy up, I've never heard of him!
Oh, I just had a great idea to help all you Americans with the proper spelling of humour, colour, neighbour, ect... I'll set the word filters up here to automatically change them for you! Wouldn't that be a great help? Let's talk politics - Page 3 88315 I really should do that and see how long it takes anyone to notice!

great, I already cant spell.. Now your really gouna srcew with me!

Rebecca1340 wrote:
chelle wrote:
Rebecca1340 wrote:Ok, we'll blame Chelle. The Europeans haven't really done anything to us North Americans lately so I can't see it being their fault.

Your right, and they DID take madonna... we owe them Smile
Speaking of Madonna, when did she get a British accent? I saw her on an interview and all I could think was that she didn't sound like she's from Detroit anymore!

I know!!
chelle
chelle

Number of posts : 6471
Honeycomb : the abyss with keys that dont fit any locks

http://aretheyalseepyet.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by BeachyBum Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:21 am

trax wrote:Don't ya wanna talk Canadian politics lol! Let's talk politics - Page 3 439161

There's more American politics on TV in Canada than there is here in the US. I can't get away from it!

And that's my only post on politics Smile
BeachyBum
BeachyBum
In Need of a 12 Step Program

Number of posts : 791
Honeycomb : Sweet Bee ~ Level 6 ~ 2 Golden Keys ~ Bzzing since 2003
Registration date : 2008-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by trax Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:34 am

Rebecca1340 wrote:
Don't forget about your former premier -- the gay guy who got caught stealing or shoplifting or something a few years ago... Was is Sven Robinson? Something Scandanavian like that.

Sven Robinson was not a premier, he was an MP and was caught with his hands where they should not be!
trax
trax

Number of posts : 1470
Honeycomb : In Hold Mode - Level 6
Registration date : 2008-04-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Was64 Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:23 am

Why is it that everytime a thread gets started about one subject it never stays on that subject. I don't think I have seen one thread in a long time stay on subject and this one hasn't either.

Was64
Bzzing
Bzzing

Number of posts : 42
Honeycomb : Level 6 Sweet Bee
Registration date : 2008-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by thebigscott Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:41 am

I think it's because people don't really talk that way in real life. I mean, if you're having a casual conversation with someone and you mention the weather, it would be pretty boring if 20 minutes later you were still talking about the weather. In person to person chit chat, one subject reminds someone of something else interesting and the conversation gradually shifts. We could go around deleting every off topic post, but what would be the fun in that?

My main problem with the rambling is that I can never find the thread I'm looking for. But, no big deal. I can always start a new one.
thebigscott
thebigscott

Back to top Go down

Post by Rebecca1340 Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:41 am

Nothing on UB has ever stayed on topic from day one. Actually BzzChat threads seem to stay more on topic, but in CC we often wander away.
Rebecca1340
Rebecca1340
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrlyte Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:57 am

LOL!

My only concern with anyone who is voting is they take time to really examine the issues and not vote just because the party lines are "correct". If you have a well, thought out reason for voting for a particular canidate, that's great!!!

I'll be honest, I liked McCain the first time he ran. I really did. He was the maverick republican that really seemed to stand for change. Problem I have is he's done a 180 on so many subjects since then. He's fallen into party lines and picked up the rhetoric of Bush/Cheney. That may be ok with you, and that's fine. I also don't like that all he seems capable of doing is running a campaign based on fear. Pick on Obama based on the issues, do not try to paint him as something he is not (ie anti-christ, hitler, celebrity.....). I find his choice of VP interesting and am willing to reserve judgement. I do find it an odd pick though since McCain is not young, and she could very well become President, with even LESS experience than Obama, and McCain is claiming he is not experienced enough.

You have probably figured out I support Obama. He gives me hope. Hope that someone that has not been born with platinum spoon in their mouth can even aspire to be president. Hope that maybe big corporations hold on this country can be broken, and small businesses can again have a chance. He makes me feel that maybe the cycle of cronism can stop, and real government can be acheived. There are other reasons I support Obama, but those are the main ones. He's the first canidate that has actually inspired me since I was old enough to vote! Smile

No matter which party you support, I hope and pray that you use your rights in this country and go out and vote!!!
Starrlyte
Starrlyte
In Need of a Life
In Need of a Life

Number of posts : 349
Honeycomb : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by 59pearly Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:17 pm

Starts like a fairy tale but is a true story:

Once upon a time, there was a great gardening site. Everyday, members would log in and talk gardening, about their lives, and lives of those around. People posted request for prayer, held raffles on goods they created and came together to support members in need.

There was the option to become a life-time member that cost a lot of money but the site was so great, most of the users opted in.

One member had a serious accident and about fifteen members donated goods to raffle, Wally cards for meds and money. It happened because the member in need had about $20 dollars to pay bills AND buy medication.

These members would travel across the US to meet and be with each other. Some members, those who lived in the same area, would often meet for lunch or tea. There was even a section on the site where groups would sign up to play "round robins", a game much like Secret Santa that was played all year long. The gifts would sometimes reach into the hundreds of dollars.

Not too strange for long time friends to do all this but these members started as virtual friends.

Then one day and before they realized what was going on, the environment at the site had changed drastically. New people began posting information from those inflammatory and not true emails that go around. The old members told them these had been checked out and proven to be just hype and there was no sense in posting that type of material. Then there were the posts about religion, beliefs and God. Believers defended and non-believers defended their rights not to believe. Some members just watched all this on the sidelines.

No amount of persuasion could deter those posts. No amount of reasoning that politics and religion are not good subjects to get into. Especially when you have it so good and things had been just fine up til then. Although it happens over and over, no one believed that you could bring down a well-built house this way. No one believed that they were hurting other people's feelings and that friendships would be lost.

But it happened... The owners of the site did not want those types of posts to be connected with what they had built. They had high profile sponsors who were probably, just probably of many different faiths, races and political leanings. The sponsors paid for everything so the bottom line won. So, instead of shutting it down, they removed some people's memberships and made it difficult for others to post anything for going on a year or so. Little by little the old timers are coming back and little by little, the site is becoming operable again.

But what hurts the most are the lost friendships, the insults, the loss of the joy in just checking in to the site.

So, I plead with you, let's not talk religion or politics. Just because we have the freedom to say what we want, doesn't mean it is always appropriate. Truly, I haven't paid for membership and it would be easy to not check in. It is also easy to not read the posts at all if theyare not to my liking but that's not what I want to do. I came here because it was a place to hang out with other Bzzers. Nothing was personal (except our swarming on the new Bzz thingys) and it was easy reading. Up til now, it was a delight to read everything.

But, I guess I will opt out. I don't care if the political were slamming Hitler, I feel the Beelong is just not the place to start these discussions. You want an example of how keeping your opinions to yourself can work out just fine? I attended a birthday party for a family who was associated with the infamous group with three letters in their name and who make foul use of trees. We laughed, drank beer, ate and just were completely out of control all night. We even talked race and living down south. Everything was done with respect for the feelings of the guests. I had a great time and am looking forward to football season because we are getting together again.

I am not going to impede on your right to express yourself and am not going to post anything else on this subject.
59pearly
59pearly

Number of posts : 848
Honeycomb : Level 6 Sweet Bee - Need 13 honeycombs for next key. Sigh.
Registration date : 2008-05-05

http://acommonstreetpeddler.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rebecca1340 Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:24 pm

Well put Pearly. Thankyou.
Rebecca1340
Rebecca1340
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by thebigscott Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:36 pm

Pearly, that is EXACTLY how I feel. Sometimes it's better to let sleeping dogs lie. And I applaud that you were able to go to that party and show by example that good people come in all varieties.

And, on a completely unrelated subject, your Who's hot this week has been crackin' me up because I keep wondering if you mean Hot as in hot flashes... or Hot as in check me out, I'm flashing you!
thebigscott
thebigscott

Back to top Go down

Post by 59pearly Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:43 pm

Hi Karen, I seriously mean "hot flashes"! The last time I flashed somebody was in my very early thirties. I wore this see thru dress with no.... oh, need I say more? Those days are so over!!!!
59pearly
59pearly

Back to top Go down

Post by thebigscott Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:45 pm

I figured that's what you meant, but you know, Covers on, Covers off could be something else, LOL!

And a see through dress with no...? That sounds like there's a story there!
thebigscott
thebigscott

Back to top Go down

Post by 59pearly Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:48 pm

Yep, quite a story and I don't know to this day why I did it. Let's talk politics - Page 3 277833
59pearly
59pearly

Back to top Go down

Post by Rebecca1340 Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:50 pm

Shocked
Rebecca1340
Rebecca1340
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrlyte Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:55 pm

Ohhh Pearly, I actually do get it, but it's so rare to be able to talk to others who have differing views in a friendly forum! I was hoping based on other posts I had seen, that maybe we actually COULD have a friendly discussion, but I do really and honestly see that not everyone sees things the way I do (keeping things balanced) and this could easily get out of hand.

Thank you for pointing out so politely. Heck, I don't even discuss politics or religion with my own Mother! LOL! Smile
Starrlyte
Starrlyte
In Need of a Life
In Need of a Life

Number of posts : 349
Honeycomb : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by Connie Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:16 pm

So are politics a yea or nay? I came to talk about McCains choice for VP... I don't like McCain but so far I think she is awesome and I want to vote her for President.
Connie
Connie

Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2008-04-03

http://www.katieshugs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by trax Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:24 pm

Geez, I do not know, but about four pages back I posted about Canadians and their beer ~ well, I am off to the general store to get me some cheers Hope you folks will be able to do the same. It is Friday, a long weekend and I am alive complete with hot flashes, memory lapses, and what-have-you...take your pick!

Enjoy Let's talk politics - Page 3 439161
trax
trax

Number of posts : 1470
Honeycomb : In Hold Mode - Level 6

Back to top Go down

Post by 59pearly Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:29 pm

BTW, Trax, I have been looking for that beer ever since you posted. It is nowhere to be found in my parts. Maybe one day I will get north enough to find a store with it.
59pearly
59pearly

Back to top Go down

Post by tara Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:31 pm

I just commented on your site, I am out of the loop I know NOTHING about her, I have some major catching up to do.

I see why everyone feels the way they do. It's sad but true, there is bound to be someone who can't be rational or disagree tactfully. Chelle is right opinions would be formed and grudges would start. I guess that makes me want to do it even more, lol. I am of the thought that if my having a different opinion makes you feel that differently about me then.... good, your not someone I care to call a 'friend' or waste my time on anyway. I can fight with you to the death on one subject and still be respectful enough to let it lie there and agree with you 100% on another subject with no ill will. Not all people can.

AND in all fairness we have many many Canadian members who most like don't care and don't want to hear it.
tara
tara

Number of posts : 6833

http://www.mythirtyone.com/taras/

Back to top Go down

Post by Connie Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:32 pm

trax wrote:Geez, I do not know, but about four pages back I posted about Canadians and their beer ~ well, I am off to the general store to get me some cheers Hope you folks will be able to do the same. It is Friday, a long weekend and I am alive complete with hot flashes, memory lapses, and what-have-you...take your pick!

Enjoy Let's talk politics - Page 3 439161

Enjoy your long weekend! I have to work tomorrow but then TWO days off... almost unheard of in my world. Wink
Connie
Connie

Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2008-04-03

http://www.katieshugs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down