Unofficial Bzz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I am a blubbering mess...

+8
Sharon
thebigscott
KellyM
trax
Honey
chelle
edbson
Missy
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

I am a blubbering mess... - Page 2 Empty Re: I am a blubbering mess...

Post by aurora04 Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:55 am

Yeah, it's really expensive, but everyone here charges the same thing (even daycare). Her preschool supplies 2 snacks and lunch everyday. She went 5 days/wk last year since my parents decided to pay for 2 days a week for her. They're not sure if they will do that this year (just bought a new car, looking for a truck, and getting a mortgage for major renovations), so she might be down to 3 days a week (which is now $27.50/day). I can't wait for her to start primary (we don't have kindergarden here) next year so I don't have to pay so much (but then it will be Zach's turn for preschool I guess, LOL).

I would love to only pay $120/month, at this point I'ld be happy with the $180/month. LOL.
aurora04
aurora04
In Need of a 12 Step Program

Number of posts : 766
Honeycomb : Level 6, Sweet Bee
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Missy Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:52 pm

large bag of dirt
styrofoam cups
play sand
medium pumpkins in October (for the pumpkin hunt)
ghourds
bag of apples (differant colors)
seeds
bag of peat gravel
straw/hay
feed corn
bag of mulch
pkg of white cardstock

I am assuming that not many can afford all this, and that is why I have to tell the teacher if I can not get it. I am gonna ask the teacher about everything on the list. I plan on being as involved in my son's schooling as one can. Maybe not PTA, but maybe chaperone for field trips, volunteer for some activities. Until he goes to school full-time, I will be still at home, so I might as well make myself feel useful. Plus, I want to know what will be going on with him and make sure he is getting a good education.

I guess everything is handled differantly, depending on where you are. I am gonna wait for the phone call to schedule this thing, and get some questions out there then. IF I feel like it is something not worth changing our schedules for, I will ask the teacher if we can meet with her at the school.

There are a lot of people in our town that work third shift at the numerous factories in the area, so most people are understanding when I mention Tim working third shift and not wanting to mess his schedule.
Missy
Missy
Really Not Getting Much Done Around the House

Number of posts : 2031
Honeycomb : Level 6- The Abyss
Registration date : 2008-04-25

http://www.cafemom.com/home/missmissy

Back to top Go down

Post by chelle Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:15 pm

I know BR works nights and has for years off and on. People never understand why he is not awake at noon, or even 2 on some days. They act like all he ever does is sleep. BUT in all honesty, he works 17 hour days 6 to 7 days a week. He never gets much sleep How can you when there are only so many hours in a day.

a 17 hour work day leaves you with 7 hours. you fiqure at least one hour to wake up, eat, sit for a little while, and then you go shower and dress, so two tops, then when you get in from work you want to sit and relax a little eat and maybe watch some TV. if you do that for an hour you are down to 5 hours or less of sleep. People who work days wouldnt appriciate being woken up at midnight or 3 am to go to a family renunion or visit with someone.
chelle
chelle

Number of posts : 6471
Honeycomb : the abyss with keys that dont fit any locks
Registration date : 2008-03-10

http://aretheyalseepyet.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Missy Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:22 pm

I did a little asking around here (my town) and found out that it is just a half hour visit for the kids and parents to meet the teacher in a familiar surrounding. This person had done it a previous year and at first felt the same way as I, and most, and was a little put-off by it. But when it was done and over with (around 30 minutes max) then realized the feelings were for nothing. So, as long as the teacher will come early enough in the day so that Tim can get to sleep, I have no problem. I guess she will discuss field trips, meet the teacher's aide, sign a few papers, etc.. So that is when i will bombard her with the weird list and ask WHY? for most of it.

Thanks all for being here for me in this weird time though. I know I will cry when I take him his first day. Him? Probably not.. lol
Missy
Missy

Back to top Go down

Post by Missy Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:26 pm

chelle wrote:I know BR works nights and has for years off and on. People never understand why he is not awake at noon, or even 2 on some days. They act like all he ever does is sleep. BUT in all honesty, he works 17 hour days 6 to 7 days a week. He never gets much sleep How can you when there are only so many hours in a day.

a 17 hour work day leaves you with 7 hours. you fiqure at least one hour to wake up, eat, sit for a little while, and then you go shower and dress, so two tops, then when you get in from work you want to sit and relax a little eat and maybe watch some TV. if you do that for an hour you are down to 5 hours or less of sleep. People who work days wouldnt appriciate being woken up at midnight or 3 am to go to a family renunion or visit with someone.

Exactly, that is why I make all my appointments for 8 am if possible. Tim works until 7 am, and is usually in bed by 9 am after a shower and his "dinner". This morning he HAD to go to bed early because I need to be somewhere at 6 pm. People will call around noon for him when he first got the job and be almost appalled that he was sleeping. Finally one day, I had enough on one person and had gone off on them, telling them to stay up from 11 pm until 7 am, doing hard labor, and see how they feel being up at noon the next day.

He is trying to get to 2nd shift, so that he can at least be up right before Timmy goes to school, but there are no openings yet. He should have the shift change though within a year.
Missy
Missy

Back to top Go down

Post by Rebecca1340 Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:32 pm

My mom does the same thing. 2 of my clients are really sick right now. I literally spend my shifts trying to help them breathe by giving them inhalations, repositioning, calling the ambulance, and occassionally CPR. I usually have breakfast with the kids, grab a shower, and unwind until about 10. My mom will call at noon and ask dh if I'm up from my "nap" yet! We've both told her that it's not a nap -- it's my night's sleep, but she still doesn't get it. The stupid thing is that my dad worked on the railroad for 40 years -- she should be used to odd work hours by now!
Rebecca1340
Rebecca1340
Admin

Number of posts : 6118
Honeycomb : Slowly sinking deeper into the Abyss

http://bzzz.heavenforum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by chelle Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:19 pm

LOL rebecca, my grandfather and great aunts and all do the same with BR.

He doesnt wnt to go to days though. He and I are more 2nd shift people, but he leaves at like 2 or3 and gets home between 4 and 7. But he makes more money at night.

and although he really doesnt admit it, I know the truth.. this way he doesnt have to deal with 4 kids running, screaming, fighting, asking for things, wnting things, agervating you, all that.. He see's them, they are good, love on him, dote on him, and shoot the guns, or play on the tractor with him and then he goes to work. He enjoys them being 'good'. I deal with getting ready for school, cooking meals, homework, fights, bedtime, baths, cleaning, laundry, fights, arguments about bedtime, trying to keep everyone happy with meal choices, disipline, fights, crying, sickness, all that.

basicly he is a weekend dad for 2 hours a day.

I want a job....
chelle
chelle

Back to top Go down

Post by Sharon Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:58 pm

I remember those days when My hubby worked the night shift at a paper mill here in M.A. -He would work 7am-7pm then switch 7pm-7am and that was holidays too-those days were rough he worked in that mill for 18 years and it just closed 3 years ago. But Because he was union and a higher up the state of M.A. sent him to school (FOR FREE) and now he ia an Electrican an works mon-fri 7am-3:30 it nice to have him home on thanksgiving and Xmas eve and go trick or treating with the kids and have a family life. Plus now he is the one to get the kids from aftercare at school drive them to skating and hockey lessons and cook dinner and drive them around to there activitys and do homework and clean the house and I work longer hours than he does does now. Working makes me sane-I stayed home for years and at the time loved it but it does stink when people forget your name and call you Mrs. X and Sarah and Matthew Mom- Now I am Just Sharon and I love it. I Own my own business so I take the time off when needed to be for school plays skating comps and hockey games and parents club and den leader for scouts can you tell I don't sleep much (LOL)... At the time mostly on weekends it would stink that my hubby was either asleep or a work---Now my Husband will call me at work and say sometimes being with the kids is tougher than working carting them from place to place. And to be honest I have NO pity I did it alone for years. I say to him and I did sarurday nite at least when I come home your off duty For me it never ends-Then the kids go off to college and we will still be working our butts off to pay for schools maybe I will relax when I am 70 (lol) in another 30 years --turning 40 next week AHHHHH I am old!!!! Don't feel it and sure as hell don't act it--I have 5 girl friends that I go out with once and week and re live the 80's Thank god we say for wonderful husbands who put up with our crap (LOL)
Sharon
Sharon
In Need of a Life
In Need of a Life

Number of posts : 319
Honeycomb : level 6 -1 gold keys
Registration date : 2008-06-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Sharon Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:09 pm

oh and yes we wives who put up there's as well!!!!
Sharon
Sharon
In Need of a Life
In Need of a Life

Number of posts : 319
Honeycomb : level 6 -1 gold keys
Registration date : 2008-06-20

Back to top Go down

Post by trax Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:39 pm

Good Lord, in my day - school was school - it was ABC's and 1, 2, 3's. An apple and a cheese whiz sandwich went in my lunch bucket.

This is far too much stress both on the part of the parents and student.

Is it cheaper to home school?
trax
trax

Number of posts : 1470
Honeycomb : In Hold Mode - Level 6
Registration date : 2008-04-04

Back to top Go down

Post by chelle Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:20 pm

Who the hell wants their kids at home all year long?

School might be the bane of my existance, but I am SOOOO excited that tomorrow I work all day putting together pre pack school supplies, then going to 2 PTA meetings, another on MOnday, then thursday is all day for open house and SCHOOL STARTS the next monday!! WHOO-HOO!!

I just wish they would take the other two!! (actually they do. when I show up a teacher grabs Bow and I dont see him for the rest of the day! LOL )
chelle
chelle

Back to top Go down

Post by Connie Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:38 pm

I have to tell you, I am just lmao over here. This is the second forum in just a few days where I've seen home visits made a big deal of.

My first home visit was 15 years ago from my dd's kindergarten teacher and yeah it seemed weird at the time but it was no big deal. When my youngest started prek we had home visits and she was in pre k for almost three years! Again, no biggie.

They aren't coming in to look at your house or to judge you as parents and the visit lasts maybe 15 mins. Just an introduction to your child, maybe some coloring or drawing a picture.

I do remember that first one being a little freaky but really, they aren't a problem. (and I NEVER have a clean, neat or orderly house).

I forgot to add: That school supply list is WAY more strange than any home visit.. what the heck is that all about anyway? I too have to ask.. what kind of budget constraints is this school up against?
Connie
Connie

Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2008-04-03

http://www.katieshugs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by thebigscott Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:19 pm

Connie wrote:I have to tell you, I am just lmao over here. This is the second forum in just a few days where I've seen home visits made a big deal of.

My first home visit was 15 years ago from my dd's kindergarten teacher and yeah it seemed weird at the time but it was no big deal. When my youngest started prek we had home visits and she was in pre k for almost three years! Again, no biggie.

They aren't coming in to look at your house or to judge you as parents and the visit lasts maybe 15 mins. Just an introduction to your child, maybe some coloring or drawing a picture.

I do remember that first one being a little freaky but really, they aren't a problem. (and I NEVER have a clean, neat or orderly house).

I forgot to add: That school supply list is WAY more strange than any home visit.. what the heck is that all about anyway? I too have to ask.. what kind of budget constraints is this school up against?

That's about it for me, too. Zaven's visit was 12 years ago and his teacher never even made it through the front door. We'd been outside on the porch and she stayed out there for 15 minutes watching him play in the sandbox and talking to us and him. No big deal. I'm more nervous this time around (for Zoe) because my house isn't fit to walk through. Zoe knows how to undo the baby gates and let Quinn loose and I'm just spending all day chasing.
thebigscott
thebigscott

Number of posts : 9214
Honeycomb : Level 6 ~ Sweet Bee

http://messierobjects.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Missy Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:28 pm

This Wednesday, at 8 am, is my appointment. She will not be long (she has a 9 am appt on the other side of town), but I am still nervous!

Guess tomorrow I better get on the house. Today, I am just relaxing because I am not feeling well. I think I am coming down with a cold. I hope I get my Pledge kit in time. lol ;-)
Missy
Missy

Back to top Go down

Post by thebigscott Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:44 pm

Don't worry Missy. They are not looking for things to be wrong. Just to meet you and Timmy in a familiar environment.
thebigscott
thebigscott

Number of posts : 9214
Honeycomb : Level 6 ~ Sweet Bee

http://messierobjects.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Missy Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:19 pm

Yeah, that is what a mother I met told me. Her child goes to the same school as Timmy, and she had to do this last year. To answer questions, meet him, etc..

I am mostly nervous because, besides his father and I, this is the woman that will help begin his education. I am entrusting my son to her for 3 hours a day, 5 days a week.

I have not been seperated from him much since I had him, so I am going through the jitters. I know when I have my second baby, I won't be nervous.
Missy
Missy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2