Unofficial Bzz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Moving to Texas in a month... help!

4 posters

Go down

Moving to Texas in a month... help! Empty Moving to Texas in a month... help!

Post by amybeccaz Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:35 pm

My husband's job is transferring us to San Antonio. Anyone from there?? Can anyone help as far as good areas to live in?
amybeccaz
amybeccaz
In Need of a 12 Step Program

Number of posts : 621
Registration date : 2008-04-12

http://www.twocuteblondies.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Moving to Texas in a month... help! Empty Re: Moving to Texas in a month... help!

Post by tara Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:36 pm

Wow that short notice. All I know about Texas is that it's hot and they smell, I mean they talk funny.
Best of luck on the move!
tara
tara

Number of posts : 6833
Registration date : 2008-03-10

http://www.mythirtyone.com/taras/

Back to top Go down

Moving to Texas in a month... help! Empty Re: Moving to Texas in a month... help!

Post by chelle Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:30 pm

COngrats!! Smile

San Antone. Sorry, I never lived there. I lived in the hill country. about an hour away. Much prettier.

But when you go to the Alamo, be sure to take your hat off and DONT pee on it.

seriously, It depends on how far you want to live from teh city. Leon Valley, Helotis, those are really close. Not sure San Antone hasnt ate them already. or if an hour drive is okay, you can go out to Pipe Creek, Boerne, Thats the hill country. OR if you want to live IN the city. There are some slums for sure. But thre are alot of really nice neighborhoods.

But be warned, the streets are layed out like a wagon wheel from downtown. VERY easy to get lost. Its like a drunk laid them out. LOL

Is there anyway for you to drive down or fly down beforehand and check out the area? Wehn we used to go to new towns for jobs I would just find a long term hotel, and stay there for a few weeks till I found something that I liked. OR since we would only be there a few months, the cheapest thing I could.

Tara Razz
chelle
chelle

Number of posts : 6471
Honeycomb : the abyss with keys that dont fit any locks

http://aretheyalseepyet.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by tara Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:35 pm

lol!
tara
tara

Back to top Go down

Post by edbson Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:55 pm

Cool, my friend lives in San Antonio, I asked her where to live and she said:

North Central and North East sides of San Antonio are the area to live in. Suburban towns of Boerne and New Braunfels( $$) are even better - about 30 miles commute to San Antonio. Helotes, TX about 15 miles from San Antonio is a stellar place to live. Seguin is a bit fartherr, but a nice quiet rural Town.
Avoid the southern end of San Antonio at all costs, unless you are just driving thru.

Another thing, it is HOT this time of year here, in the upper 90's to over 100 degrees, daily. If you aren't used to it, it is going to be a bit of Culture shock....you do speak Spanish?

Tara should hear my Texas/Coonass accent.....she probably would not understand a word I said...LOL Razz
edbson
edbson

Number of posts : 5916
Honeycomb : Level 6~ the abyss,
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post by amybeccaz Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:47 am

Thanks everyone!!

My DH is working in the North Central area of SA, so we're looking in that area (which I'm finding to be a little expensive). We're just renting right now, waiting to find out good areas to live in before we officially buy something.

My DH & I are going down next weekend for 3 days at least, to find a place to live, then officially move down in August w/ the girls.

I'm used to hot & humid... my DH speaks Spanish fluently, so he's OK when it comes to that, I'M not though. I can say Hola, and count to ten. Basically, the equivalent of a Dora show. Very Happy
amybeccaz
amybeccaz

Number of posts : 621
Registration date : 2008-04-12

http://www.twocuteblondies.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by tara Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:36 am

edbson wrote:Cool, my friend lives in San Antonio, I asked her where to live and she said:

North Central and North East sides of San Antonio are the area to live in. Suburban towns of Boerne and New Braunfels( $$) are even better - about 30 miles commute to San Antonio. Helotes, TX about 15 miles from San Antonio is a stellar place to live. Seguin is a bit fartherr, but a nice quiet rural Town.
Avoid the southern end of San Antonio at all costs, unless you are just driving thru.

Another thing, it is HOT this time of year here, in the upper 90's to over 100 degrees, daily. If you aren't used to it, it is going to be a bit of Culture shock....you do speak Spanish?

Tara should hear my Texas/Coonass accent.....she probably would not understand a word I said...LOL Razz

Unless you work for dish network I could probably manage. Accents aside- I mean funny things like the word reckon, and the whole ma'am thing.... I HATE when people call me that. Chances are I talk so fast I would lose ya during my first run-on sentence. I've noticed the further down you go, the slower people get (no, not that kind of slow, I mean in general, not just Chelle) here, everyone is in a hurry- all the time for everything.
tara
tara

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down