Unofficial Bzz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

We're flooding soon! -starting to flood now-

+11
idatater46
Jezzelle
edbson
chelle
Rebecca1340
bizzeedee
tara
Missy
BeachyBum
Scar
JeepMom
15 posters

Go down

We're flooding soon! -starting to flood now- Empty We're flooding soon! -starting to flood now-

Post by JeepMom Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:14 pm

Mississippi River keeps going up and up. Parks on the river are closing. They will probably close at least one of the IL/MO bridges. Some businesses are closing and packing up the stuff so it doesn't get damaged.

Fun stuff ahead!

At least my house is high enough that we're above the flood plane. We're expected to crest at 26ft this week and then 28ft next week.

Last edited by JeepMom on Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:55 am; edited 1 time in total
JeepMom
JeepMom
Queen Bee
Queen Bee

Number of posts : 267
Honeycomb : Level 6 SweetBee
Registration date : 2008-05-22

Back to top Go down

We're flooding soon! -starting to flood now- Empty Re: We're flooding soon! -starting to flood now-

Post by Scar Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:17 pm

holy moly are you going to be safe? affraid
Scar
Scar
Really Not Getting Much Done Around the House

Number of posts : 1135
Honeycomb : Honey-Freaking-Bee-Finally!
Registration date : 2008-05-06

Back to top Go down

We're flooding soon! -starting to flood now- Empty Re: We're flooding soon! -starting to flood now-

Post by BeachyBum Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:27 pm

OMG floods are so scary.

Do you have flood insurance ?

You have somewhere you can go ?
BeachyBum
BeachyBum
In Need of a 12 Step Program

Number of posts : 791
Honeycomb : Sweet Bee ~ Level 6 ~ 2 Golden Keys ~ Bzzing since 2003
Registration date : 2008-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Missy Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:36 pm

Last summer, around the end of July, we got a lot of rain and ended up having a flash flood. I was staying with a friend temp up here while Tim worked and we found a permanent place here. Around 1:30-2 am, Tim calls me to see how much water was outside. I looked out the window at my car and immediatly had to hang up with him. The water looked like is was about to cover our tires! I ran out, with no shoes, no socks, my Pj pants hiked up up higher than Urkel, and made a beeline for my car. Got in, couldn't see due to the rain on my glasses, no streetlight, and the glasses fogging up. I put my foot on the brake, and ended up putting it into some water. Ah, no! The car started, and in my paniced state, drove it around the block to the alley and parked it behind where we were staying. I make my way back inside to a terrified son, and call his Daddy back. I had to scoop buckets out of the car, ruined my nice pair of boots that got left in thier, and we had to have it shampooed about 5 times before the sewer smell finally left.

I am so sorry to those that deal with the flooding. The other night, if we were still staying with the friend, i would of had the same ordeal. luckily we found a place that we would not have to worry.

I had heard about a few homes up in WI floating away due to the heavy rains.

I hope that your family is safe!!
Missy
Missy

Number of posts : 2031
Honeycomb : Level 6- The Abyss
Registration date : 2008-04-25

http://www.cafemom.com/home/missmissy

Back to top Go down

Post by tara Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:50 pm

I've only experienced one flood. It only lasted a couple hours but that was enough to flood my basement deep enough to swim, which of course ruined the water heater, the furnace and TONS of stuff stored down there Sad

There was a tornado warning this morning and I totally admit I was scared- I live in central NY I am NOT suppose to have to deal with those kinds of things! LOL

Stay dry Jeepmom!
tara
tara

Number of posts : 6833
Registration date : 2008-03-10

http://www.mythirtyone.com/taras/

Back to top Go down

Post by bizzeedee Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:54 pm

I've only experienced one flood, here in SW KY... but nothing like the magnitude you folks in IL/MO/WI are going thru... I'm so sorry to hear this, it's got to be absolutely frightening, what to save? what to pack? where to go? can I get back?

It just breaks my heart. Crying or Very sad Wish you the best of a bad situation. I love you
bizzeedee
bizzeedee

Number of posts : 4243
Honeycomb : Sweet Bee ~ Level 6 ~

Back to top Go down

Post by Rebecca1340 Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:44 pm

Good luck!
Rebecca1340
Rebecca1340
Admin

Number of posts : 6118
Honeycomb : Slowly sinking deeper into the Abyss

http://bzzz.heavenforum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by chelle Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:02 pm

I 2nd that!
chelle
chelle

Number of posts : 6471
Honeycomb : the abyss with keys that dont fit any locks

http://aretheyalseepyet.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by edbson Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:22 pm

Good Luck, I am glad all we get is hurricanes!
edbson
edbson

Number of posts : 5916
Honeycomb : Level 6~ the abyss,
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Jezzelle Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:24 pm

I'm glad your house will be above the flood area. Stay safe! When I lived right on the Conneticut River, we had flood scares a lot one season. Luckily the flooding proved more beautiful than dangerous for our section of the river. We had fish swiming around out in the backyard!
Jezzelle
Jezzelle
Queen Bee
Queen Bee

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2008-05-07

Back to top Go down

Post by idatater46 Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:45 pm

Stay safe- will be thinking and praying for all in the floods.
idatater46
idatater46

Number of posts : 719
Registration date : 2008-04-04

Back to top Go down

Post by JeepMom Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:32 am

I should go take pics today, to show where it's at then come back next week to show the increase. I don't live but a mile from the river but there's a lot of hills/levy's between me and the river.
JeepMom
JeepMom
Queen Bee
Queen Bee

Back to top Go down

Post by JeepMom Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:19 pm

Well, nothing like a flood to get attention. I bet my town makes more national news soon. Obama was here yesterday sandbagging.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8s1IbHFR-X8

I was going to go take some pictures tonight but the road between my house and the river is already closed because of flooding. Once we start national news or better local stories I'll link them.
http://khqa.com/news/floodwatch_pics.aspx

I still may sneek down the roads and see how close I can get to take some pictures.
JeepMom
JeepMom
Queen Bee
Queen Bee

Back to top Go down

Post by cheyandwysmom Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:33 pm

Good luck, JeepMom! We're currently closed off from the "real world" since the roads are closed within 2 miles of our house on both sides. We live right next to the Grand River and Little/Big Green Lakes in Central WI. I used the 4x4 to offroad through a mudpit that used to be a cornfield to get to the grocery store today.

The sickening thing is that dams are failing all over the state, and the government is just now starting to admit that there have been no funds available at all for dam repairs since 2001, so the poor condition of the dams didn't hep with their inability to hold back the waters. Also, I'm not sure if everyone has heard about Lake Delton - it's a large lake in Central WI where homes washed completely away when the lake walls disintegrated - the city is now telling people that they have absolutely no insurance coverage for their losses, since the city didn't resign some flood agreement with the state many years ago.

In DesMoines, IA - 24000 people were evacuated from their homes because the entire city flooded. They are estimating damages in the billions....

It's a shame what's happening to this planet...
cheyandwysmom
cheyandwysmom
Queen Bee
Queen Bee

Number of posts : 210
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by JeepMom Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:44 pm

Pics I took tonight:
https://s243.photobucket.com/albums/ff296/BellsBuysEbay2/Flood/
JeepMom
JeepMom
Queen Bee
Queen Bee

Back to top Go down

Post by kath Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:00 am

wow... very scary... so hard for those who have to try to recover from this....
kath
kath

Number of posts : 1338

http://mckaitsbooks.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by chelle Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:53 am

prayers to all.
chelle
chelle

Number of posts : 6471
Honeycomb : the abyss with keys that dont fit any locks

http://aretheyalseepyet.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by thebigscott Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:13 am

I'll be praying for your safety, as well as the safety of all affected.
thebigscott
thebigscott

Number of posts : 9214
Honeycomb : Level 6 ~ Sweet Bee

http://messierobjects.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Honey Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:19 am

Best of luck to everyone. We flood here in Mo sometimes and I have been in floods in New Orleans too and they are no fun! I am thanking God my daughter decided to come home from school for the summer. She tried to get a job and stay, but ended up "feeling" she should come home. She goes to college in Iowa, next to Cedar Rapids, in Mnt Vernon. The kids who stayed are ok, but they can't get in or out of town and power is spotty. They also have no showers, toilets or drinking water. Kids from another college, Coe, were evactuated there also. She left all of her stuff, including her entire winter wardrobe, in a storage unit, along with 9 other kids stuff. Thankfully, they chose one outside of Cedar Rapids and on a hill. The word is that it didn't floood We're flooding soon! -starting to flood now- 554303
Honey
Honey

Number of posts : 1859
Honeycomb : 5
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by JeepMom Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:49 am

Watching the morning show this morning they were showing areas to flood next and Quincy was picked. I bet by Weds/Thurs the major news people will be here.

The city is still begging for sandbagers. If I wasn't recoving from a weekend trip to the ER and had the kids, I'd think about going but physically I can't do it. I had a hard time playing putput yesterday.
JeepMom
JeepMom
Queen Bee
Queen Bee

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down