Unofficial Bzz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Marshmallow Fondant by Chelle

Go down

Marshmallow Fondant by Chelle Empty Marshmallow Fondant by Chelle

Post by Lori Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:52 am

Chelle's Marshmallow Fondant

8 Cups of Mini Marshmellows
3 TBS of Water
1 TBS of Flavor
9 Cups (ish) Powdered Sugar Sifted
2 ish Heaping TBS of Shortening + whatever you’ll use to grease your work space

Directions (in this order too):

1. Grease Bowl and Dough Hook of Kitchen Aid
2. Sift 9 Cups of Powdered Sugar in a separate Mixing Bowl (found out this IS VERY important)
3. Put marshmellows, Water, Flavor, Shortening in microwave safe bowl
4. Heat up marshmellow mixture in 30 second zaps, Pull out, Stir, Keep heating until the marshmellows are almost Melted, it will look soupy with some lumps
5. Scoop 6 Cups of PS in Kitchen Aid. (all the while the marshmellows are sorta cooling down–but don’t let them cool completely) Make a well in the powdered sugar with the measuring cup
6. Pour Marshmellow Mixture into PS well, it’s going to spread out and cover all the PS basically, but it helps for it to be in the middle of the PS.
7. Put 1 More Cup of PS on top of MM’s
8. Kitchenaid/sunbeam first setting, once the PS is mostly incorporated Put on the next setting (I used 2), let it run for a while, you’ll notice there is PS on the sides of the bowl, that’s fine, leave it there, try and refrain from scraping it down
You’ll notice it will start to creep up on the dough hook, if its not doing this yet, start adding the PS 1/2 cup at a time until it does (I didn’t let it fully creep up, once it started is when I moved to the next step).
10. Touch the mixture, if its goo and sticking to your finger completely, add 1/4 of PS, if its slightly sticky, then you’re ready for the next part
11. Prepare a portion of your counter (or where ever you hand knead stuff), Bring your sifted PS left over in your separate bowl where you can get to it easily, Shortening on the area where you’ll knead, dump out Mixture and if you need to scrape the bowl. Grease your hands up
12. Add more ps like 1/8 of a cup at a time if it appears to be falling under its own weigh–the perfect MMF should be able to hold its weight a little even at this stage– hand knead, add more PS if you need to, you will end up with a thick dough. Like if you were making bread, but a little denser.

13. cover the ball in grease, wrap in saran wrap, and put it in a gallon ziplock bag. let it sit overnight or at least 8 hours.

before I take it out of the mixer, I make sure that its pretty ... stiff. it wont hold its own shape, it will fall back down, but its in no way liqued, it plops on the counter when you scrape it out.
When done kneading, it should sorta hold its shape, but still will fall this gets better after it sits for the rest period.

to make fiqures I mix fondant and gumpaste. sometimes more gumpaste, sometimes more fondant. depending on how hard I want it to dry, or how easy I want it to be to shape. also, thicker things, like the tool box, I knew it would hold its shape, but would crack if it was mostly gumpaste, so it was 60/40-65/35 ish fondant. where as the docks/signs were 50/50 if not 55/45 or 60/40 gumpaste.

does that make sense?

if you dont have a kitchian aid or sunbeam counter mixer let me know, I will get you a differnt recipe that doesnt require a mixer, just more kneading time.

always keep crisco on your hands. ALWAYS. and I am a cheapo. I always buy the store brand. except in crisco. for my butter cream, and my fondant, I have found it breaks down too easy, and isnt as thick as the real stuff.
Lori
Lori

Number of posts : 8682
Honeycomb : Sweet Bee, Level 6
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down