Unofficial Bzz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Share one of your favorite books

+16
Jezzelle
bakerlady
Muggins
BeachyBum
sati769leigh
shadyhillslane
amybeccaz
idatater46
Scar
manny1968
Lucky
Missy
Starrlyte
thebigscott
Rebecca1340
kath
20 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Share one of your favorite books Empty Share one of your favorite books

Post by kath Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:14 am

Forests Of The Heart

In the Old Country, they called them the Gentry: ancient spirits of the land, magical, amoral, and dangerous. When the Irish emigrated to North America, some of the Gentry followed...only to find that the New World already had spirits of its own, the manitou.

Now generations have passed, and the Irish have made homes in the new land, but the Gentry still wander homeless on the city streets. Gathering in the shadows, they bide their time and dream of power. As their dreams grow harder, darker, fiercer, so do the Gentry themselves—appearing, to those with the sight to see them, as hard and dangerous men, invariably dressed in black.

Bettina can see the Gentry, and knows them for what they are. Part Indian, part Mexican, she was raised by her grandmother to understand the spirit world. Now she lives in wintry Kellygnow, a massive old house run as an arts colony on the outskirts of Newford, a world away from the Southwestern desert of her youth. Outside her nighttime window, she often spies the dark man, squatting in the snow, smoking, brooding, waiting. She calls them los lobos, the wolves, and stays clear of them—until the night one follows her into the woods, and takes her hand...

Charles de Lint is hands down my favorite author. He consistently writes books that draw me in and his characters are as warm and real as his stories are compelling. I have read many of his books, and look forward to reading more.
kath
kath
Really Not Getting Much Done Around the House

Number of posts : 1338
Registration date : 2008-03-10

http://mckaitsbooks.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Share one of your favorite books Empty Re: Share one of your favorite books

Post by kath Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:20 am

The Sparrow

by Mary Doria Russell

The Sparrow is a book that I picked up on a whim... and couldn't put down. I do not remember a book that I felt was as well written, as rounded out and as enjoyable as this. Russell's characters are the sort that you can't let go of. As soon as I finished this book, I began it again, and immediately bought Children of God .

I have reread both of these books several times, and given sets away to several people, as I am not willing to share mine. Read it once and you will love it! Read it again and you will love it more.
kath
kath

Back to top Go down

Post by kath Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:21 am

The Birth House: A Novel

by Ami McKay

As I told the author when I emailed her at the books site, I fell into this book and did not want to find my way out.

The minute I finished this amazing story, I wanted to just begin it again.
It is a story of a place, a time, a family, a girl and her coming of age in a time of change for women.

There are hints of faith, mysticism and controversy embedded in the story of a strong girl becoming an amazing woman.

Buy this book, you will not regret it.
kath
kath

Back to top Go down

Post by Rebecca1340 Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:29 am

Memoirs of a Geisha
Arthur Golden
This is one that I had heard of, but didn't really know much about. I picked it up and started reading it and got hooked. I plowed through in record time! I keep rereading it because I love it so much! I actually find it hard to believe it was written by a man sometimes.
Rebecca1340
Rebecca1340
Admin

Number of posts : 6118
Honeycomb : Slowly sinking deeper into the Abyss

http://bzzz.heavenforum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by kath Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:10 am

Oh I did love that one too! Amazing book! I agree, It was hard to believe it was written by a man. Did you see the movie? ( I did not )
kath
kath

Back to top Go down

Post by Rebecca1340 Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:21 am

Yes -- I actually bought a set which included one DVD with the movie and the other with about 3 hours of behind the scene stuff. The movie was pretty well done and if you can go in with the mind set that it's not based on the book it's pretty good. If you go in looking for the story to be retold you'll be disappointed. That would obviously be far too long for one movie!
Rebecca1340
Rebecca1340
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kath Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:23 am

That would obviously be far too long for one movie!

true... I am often disappointed by movies when I have read the book first..
Not Harry Potter though. I liked both.
kath
kath

Back to top Go down

Post by Rebecca1340 Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:25 am

The Harry Potter movies have been very well done. Memoirs of a Geisha is a good movie. People just get disappointed that they didn't retell the whole book. I think they tried to get the major themes though.
Rebecca1340
Rebecca1340
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kath Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:36 pm

Thre is talk of making The Sparrow into a movie.. I email a bit with the author and know that she is a bit apprehensive about it... I don't blame her. If they did to her book what they did to Mists of Avalon it would be just as much a travesty .
kath
kath

Back to top Go down

Post by thebigscott Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:07 pm

I really like how you put up an exerpt! I'm going to do that tonight after the kids are in bed. I have so many favorite books... can't decide which to do first.

I'm also going to be requesting some of these (probably all of these) at the library. I have to finish the ones I'm working on now... and I read so slowly because I get interrupted.

Lovely idea, though. Like a buffet of thoughts.
thebigscott
thebigscott

Number of posts : 9214
Honeycomb : Level 6 ~ Sweet Bee

http://messierobjects.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrlyte Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:26 pm

"A Thousand Splendid Suns" - Khaled Hosseini

I originally read "The Kite Runner" and thought it was good, someone told me that yes, Kite Runner was good, but the follow up was better. They were absolutely right! It is an amazing book, with an amazing story!

"Eat, Pray, Love" - Elizabeth Gilbert

I loved this book, though some have said they had a problem getting into it. I found that I could really relate to the author!!!
Starrlyte
Starrlyte
In Need of a Life
In Need of a Life

Number of posts : 349
Honeycomb : 5
Registration date : 2008-04-04

Back to top Go down

Post by thebigscott Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:52 pm

OK, this is from Remnant Population, by Elizabeth Moon. It's a science fiction story of an old woman who decides not to leave when the colony on the planet she lives is declared a failure. And about the time she figures out how to be completely self sufficient, she finds out that the planet is not unpopulated. This is from a scene just after she meets the natives in person. (Excuse my typos.)

And this time, they followed her inside. She ignored the wet smack of their feet on the floor; it didn't matter, this floor was dirty and wet already. She wished they would dry themselves, rather than stand around in her way dripping, but she wasn't about to stop and find towels for them. They moved out of her way as she came past with the broom, but otherwise simply stood watching her work.

Lazy and spoiled, she decided. Rude, lazy, and spoiled. If they had mothers, their mothers had never tought them to help out around the house. If they had houses. She paused at that thought and looked at them. Surely they had houses. Intelligent animals built dwellings, it was one of the ways you knew if they were intelligent. Who wanted to be out in the storms and blown about and rained on? Not these things; she had seen one injured by the storm. So they had to have houses, and if they had houses someone had to clean them. And they should know how.

On that, she went to the storage closet and pulled out a mop and a broom. If they were going to kill her, they might as well earn the privilege. She dragged the mop and brooms back up the hall; the creatures stood there, passive.

"Here," she said, holding out the broom. One of them reached out and took it. She held out the mop to another, and it also took it, in the way of a child who is not sure what it's for. She could teach them. She had taught her own children. And she was not about to become the unpaid housekeeper for a band of aliens.
thebigscott
thebigscott

Back to top Go down

Post by kath Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:04 am

Looks interesting Karen!

I have not gotten to the one you suggested yet.. maybe the weekend? I had a couple to review and on friday, a friend of mine sent me his new book in pdf format. It is being published right now.. out early June.. but he wanted me to read it now..

It takes me longer to read in that format.. Shocked

Then I have one more to review an I should be good to read that one....

You should read The Sparrow first of the ones I mentioned, cause I know youwill like it.And it has a sequel, Children of God.
kath
kath

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrlyte Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:37 am

I love the look of the The Sparrow and Children of God, both of which have themes I love!

Thanks for the heads up Kath, they will be my next books!!! Smile
Starrlyte
Starrlyte
In Need of a Life
In Need of a Life

Number of posts : 349
Honeycomb : 5
Registration date : 2008-04-04

Back to top Go down

Post by thebigscott Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:57 am

I'm really looking forward to them. I also have a few I must read first (and lots of distractions) but I am determined to read them!
thebigscott
thebigscott

Back to top Go down

Post by kath Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:15 pm

lrt me know what you think if yo read them!
kath
kath

Back to top Go down

Post by thebigscott Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:07 pm

I will, Kath! Just don't be surprised if it's the end of summer!
thebigscott
thebigscott

Back to top Go down

Post by kath Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:32 pm

no worries! lots of books, lots of time to get to them..whenever it is I would love to hear Smile
kath
kath

Back to top Go down

Post by Rebecca1340 Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:40 pm

Well after posting here I was in the mood to rewatch Memoirs of a Geisha. I've read it since I last watched it. So I took a break from the board and watched half of it tonight and will hopefully watch the other half tomorrow!
Rebecca1340
Rebecca1340
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by thebigscott Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:20 am

I've never seen the movie or read the book. One day I will.
thebigscott
thebigscott

Back to top Go down

Share one of your favorite books Empty Under The Stone Paw

Post by kath Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:25 pm

Under The Stone Paw

By Theresa Crater

Myth, magic, prophecy, metaphysics, adventure, romance and majestic vistas described with poetic accuracy, barely begin to describe what you find within these pages. From the first page until the last, I was captivated by the story, the history and the drama.

From Anne Le Clair, the first member of the renowned clan we meet, up through ancestry of her line, we meet strong, gifted and powerful women and men who willingly serve the family legacy. They serve all of their lives and by giving their lives if that is what they are called to do. They, along with five other families hold, literally within their hands, the keys to universal mysteries and life as we know it.

Each character introduced is part of an intricate design centuries in the making. We journey with them to Egypt, and walk the paths of the ancients, and find magic beyond our wildest dreams. As the story unfolds, we find treachery, betrayal and murder, but also, love and hope. There is as much history here as there is fiction. This is a book for the seekers among us, and also for those who just like a well told story with compelling characters and an ending that brings the many lines of the story together. It also leaves the reader wanting more of the same.

Last edited by kath on Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:06 am; edited 1 time in total
kath
kath

Back to top Go down

Post by Missy Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:04 pm

Goodness... I don't even know where to start.

I am big on V.C. Andrews (author of the best selling book Flowers In The Attic) I have read every single one of her books. I have to get the one that just came out, but I figure I will probably like it just as much.

I have gotten into Meg Cabot's books lately. She wrote The Princess Diaries. I read that book, plus her Queen of Babble book. I am waiting my turn at the library for Queen of Babble in the Big City.

And I really got into Sophie Kinsella's Shopaholic series. I can't wait to see the movie when it comes out!

I recently just read the memoirs of Frank McCourt, Angela's Ashes and 'Tis. My family comes from Ireland and I was always interested in hearing the stories that come from the old country. Reading about someone not in the family was great.
Missy
Missy

Number of posts : 2031
Honeycomb : Level 6- The Abyss
Registration date : 2008-04-25

http://www.cafemom.com/home/missmissy

Back to top Go down

Post by thebigscott Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:04 am

OK, I can't find the Dresden Files Book that I was going to use, but here's a different passage that I liked.

This is from Blood Rites, Book Six of the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher. This scene is about a hundred pages in, with way too much backstory to explain, but suffice it to say that in this scene the hero, Harry Dresden, Chicago's only Wizard for Hire, is being attacked by two diffent kinds of vampires, and is also trying to protect a young woman who is about to be the target of a curse which kills by causing a freak accident.

Inari screamed and swung her stake, but her Buffy impersonation wasn't any better than mine. The vampire caught her arm, twisted its wrist, and broke bones with a snap, crackle, pop. She gasped and fell to her knees. The vampire shoved her over and leaned down, baring its teeth (not fangs, I noticed, just yellow corpse-teeth) and spreading its jaws to tear out her throat and bathe in the flood of blood.

And as if that weren't enough, the curse suddenly coalesced and came shrieking out of the night to end Inari's life.

I had scant seconds to act. I charged the vampire, leaned back, pictured an invisible beer can beginning an inch above the vampire's teeth, and stomp-kicked the creature in the chin with my heel. It wasn't a question of Harry-strength versus undead superstrength. I'd gotten the chump shot in, and while the vampire might have been able to rip through a brick wall, it only weighed as much as a dried corpse and it didn't have enough experience to have anticipated the attack. I drove the kick home, hard. Physics took over from there, and the vampire fell back with a surprised hiss.

I seized Inari's right arm with my left. Energy flows out of the body from the right side. The left side absorbs energy. I stretched out my senses and felt the dark energy of the curse rushing down at Inari. It hit her a second later, but I was ready for it, and with an effort of will I caught the dark power coursing down into the girl before it could do her harm.

Pain erupted in my left palm. The power was cold-- and not mountain breeze cold, either. It was slimy and nauseating, like something that had come slinking out from the depths of some enormous subterranean sea. In that instant of contact, my head exploded with terror. This power, this black magic, was wrong. Fundamentally, nightmarishly, intensely wrong.

Since I'd begun my career as a wizard, I'd always believed that magic came from life, but that is was only potential energy, like electricity or natural gas or uranium. And while it may have come from positive origins, only its application would prove it good or evil. That there was no such thing as truly evil, malevolent, black magic.

I'd been wrong.

Maybe my own magic worked like that, but this power was something different. It had only one purpose--to destroy. To inflict horror, pain, and death. I felt that power writhe into me throught my contact with the girl, and it hurt me on a level so deep that I could not find a specific word, even a specific thought to describe it. It ripped at me within, as though it had found a weakened place in my defenses, and started gouging out a larger opening, struggling to force itself inside me.

I fought it. The struggle happened all within an instant, and it hurt still more to tear that darkness loose, to force it to flow on throught me and out of me again. I won the fight. But I felt a sudden terror that something had been torn away from me; that in simple contact with that dark energy, I had been scarred somehow, marked.

Or changed.

I heard myself scream, not in fear or challenge, but in agony. I extended my right hand and the black magic flowed out of it in an invisible torrent, fastening onto the vampire as it gained its feet again and reached out to grab me. The vampire's expression didn't even flicker, so I was sure it did not feel the curse coming.

Which made it a complete surprise when something slammed into the vampire from directly overhead, too quickly to be seen. There was a sound of impact, a raspy, dry scream, and the vampire went down hard.

It lay on the ground like a butterfly pinned to a card, arms and legs thrashing uselessly. Its chest and collarbone had been crushed.

By an entire frozen turkey. A twenty-pounder.

The plucked bird mush have fallen from an airplane overhead, doubtlessly manipulated by the curse. By the time it got to the ground, the turkey had already reached its terminal velocity, and was still hard as a brick. The drumsticks poked up above the vampire's crushed chest, their ends wrapped in red tinfoil.

The vampire gasped and writhed a little more.

The timer popped out of the turkey.

Everyone stopped to blink at that for a second. I mean, come on. Impaled by a guided frozen turkey missile. Even by the standards of the quasi-immortal creatures of the night, that ain't something you see twice.

"For my next trick," I panted into the startled silence, "anvils."

And then the fight was on again.
thebigscott
thebigscott

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucky Sat May 03, 2008 10:55 pm

My favorite book has been, by far (You just gotta read this one)...

Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen

Though he may not speak of them, the memories still dwell inside Jacob Jankowski's ninety-something-year-old mind. Memories of himself as a young man, tossed by fate onto a rickety train that was home to the Benzini Brothers Most Spectacular Show on Earth. Memories of a world filled with freaks and clowns, with wonder and pain and anger and passion; a world with its own narrow, irrational rules, its own way of life, and its ownway of death. The world of the circus: to Jacob it was both salvation and a living hell.

Jacob was there because his luck had run out --- orphaned and penniless, he had no direction until he landed on this locomotive "ship of fools." It was the early part of the Great Depression, and everyone in this third-rate circus was lucky to have any job at all. Marlena, the star of the equestrian act, was there because she fell in love with the wrong man, a handsome circus boss with a wide mean streak. And Rosie the elephant was there because she was the great gray hope, the new act that was going to be the salvation of the circus; the only problem was, Rosie didn't have an act --- in fact, she couldn't even follow instructions. The bond that grew among this unlikely trio was one of love and trust, and ultimately, it was their only hope for survival.

Surprising, poignant, and funny, Water for Elephants is that rare novel with a story so engrossing, one is reluctant to put it down; with characters so engaging, they continue to live long after the last page has been turned; with a world built of wonder, a world so real, one starts to breathe its air.
Lucky
Lucky

Number of posts : 1488
Honeycomb : 6 infinity
Registration date : 2008-05-03

Back to top Go down

Post by kath Sun May 04, 2008 8:00 am

I have that book on my TBR pile... along with about 50 others.... I will read it sometime over break, I think...
kath
kath

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down