Unofficial Bzz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Travelling questions

4 posters

Go down

Travelling questions Empty Travelling questions

Post by briteasafirefly Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:22 pm

So I'm going to be flying to Spokane, Washington at the beginning of May and then traveling to Bozeman, Montana.

I haven't really done the flying thing in quite a while and I guess I'm kinda looking for any tips or suggestions that you have to offer.
My goal is to fly with only a carry-on bag(for an approximately 6 day trip... I rather not pay $40 round trip to check my bag) if I can fit it all in a carry-on bag, but I'm starting to question myself on whether this is a good idea. I do have a layover... not that it really makes a difference, accept that I'd have to carry my bag around(In the past, I've always checked my bag and my brother would lug it around when needed, but no brother this time)
First, does anyone have an reccomendations on a carry-on bag that is affordably priced(doesn't ahve to be super durable, but I can't have it breaking in the middle of my trip)? I saw some Rockland bags on overstock and they catch my eye since they have a ton of unique patterns. But in general, I've seen a lot of luggage in many sizes that is considered carry-on and its just confused me! I know what the dimensions have to be under, but at the same time I want to have the most space possible...so going with something definitely on the smaller size will limit my packing space.

Secondly, I think I've spent too much time on the TSA/Alaska Airline websites because all the restrictions or rules has me second guessing just about everything. I can send a small bag with my grandparents since they are driving to Montana, but I won't see them for a day or two and then they will be gone for about a month, so whatever I put in that bag, I'll have to live without until they get back.
I get the no items that could be considered a weapon part, but I can't help but feel like I'm going to have to toss some random item from my purse because it doesn't fit the guidelines. I'll be pissed if I have to throw out my favorite expensive lipgloss or something like that.

Oh and it doesn't help that I once got searched at the gate when I was in high school travelling with my grandmother because I was wearing a hoodie... apparently a teenager travelling with her grandmother wearing a high school hoodie may be a terrorist. I was wearing comfy clothes and my sweatshirt wouldn't fit in my suitcase, but the whole thing made me a bit uncomfortable. I think i may have had extra screening at security too! And that was after 9/11, but before they really started getting strict...

So any tips on carry-on bags or just in general?
Or just telling me that I'm overthinking it all...
briteasafirefly
briteasafirefly
In Need of a 12 Step Program

Number of posts : 625
Honeycomb : the doomed level 6
Registration date : 2008-11-28

Back to top Go down

Travelling questions Empty Re: Travelling questions

Post by agaphmou Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:37 pm

Jessica,try to bring a friend or family with you to the airport so that if there's something they won't approve of you know you won't lose it(in the garbage) like perfumes,liquids in general. I think I saw something interesting in bags ,here check here.I saw some on wheels and I saw some without wheels that look super light.

http://www.eaglecreek.com/
agaphmou
agaphmou
Really Not Getting Much Done Around the House

Number of posts : 4523
Honeycomb :

Registration date : 2009-04-29

Back to top Go down

Post by agaphmou Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:46 pm

Here,check out this duffle
http://shop.eaglecreek.com/packables/l/314
agaphmou
agaphmou

Honeycomb :

Back to top Go down

Post by briteasafirefly Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:26 am

thanks for those links! Some of those bags are super nice, but wow are they pricey!
I have a duffle that I thought would be too big, but I measured it and its technically the right size... which is a bit bigger than I was expecting(it just seems too big). So I at least have that, if I don't find a rolling suitcase/duffle... and I've jammed it full in the past and still been able to carry it on my own.

I'm likely getting dropped at the curb by my brother... I'm bribing him to do it already and he's not at all likely to stand around to make sure all my stuff passes security since he'll have to go directly to work. Well, I'd be seriously surprised if he stuck around...

I think I might just buy spares of some things that will go with the gparents if the items are over 3 oz. and then just fit as much as possible into the quart size bag. It seems a bit ridiculous if they made me toss my lipgloss or a random lip balm that didn't make it into the quart size bag, but I've heard stories...

briteasafirefly
briteasafirefly

Back to top Go down

Post by Lori Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:50 am

I've been pulled aside at the airport to open my purse - they won't touch it, mind you: they all but wear a HAZMAT suit or riot gear - over a lip gloss. So yeah, anything remotely gel-like needs to get into that quart sized bag. I pack a powdered laundry powder used for hand washables (Forever New) so I can wash socks and underwear so don't have to pack as much. I wear my heaviest items and layer up on the plane, leaving as much space as possible in the carry-on. You can peel off a layer or 2 and lay them on your lap if need be. It can definitely be done!

I wouldn't buy a carry-on that doesn't have a wheeled feature. You get spoiled after that first time. I recommend shopping at eBags. Lots of reviews are posted, and I have gotten up to 12 percent cash back from Ebates. I just bought hubby a carry-on with wheels. It has some great features. Let me go look it up and I'll post the link.
Lori
Lori

Number of posts : 8682
Honeycomb : Sweet Bee, Level 6
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Lori Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:03 am

Trying to multitask via phone (have been unable to access this forum via computer for months) but another couple of hints - try to always travel with a cross-body bag to help free up your hands at the airport. You'll be much happier being able to wheel with one hand and still have a hand free to carry your coffee.

To clarify, wear your heaviest slip-on shoes. Nothing worse than trying to find a place to put your shoes back on and retie laces while trying to put all your stuff back together after going through security.
Lori
Lori

Back to top Go down

Post by Lori Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:17 am

We bought the Travelpro Maxlite 2 spinner as a carry on. It's prob more than you want to spend, but weight was an issue for us b/c we also wanted the 25" matching bag as our main suitcase that we check. Look around and then compare prices. I go through Amazon when I have Amazon dollars or credit card cash-back that I can use there. EBags does sell through Amazon.

I just looked through my past orders and see that in 2008 I got my Liz Claiborne wheeled carry-on through them. It's a subtle navy blue paisley that I still love.
Lori
Lori

Back to top Go down

Post by briteasafirefly Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:15 am

thanks Lori! Those were some really good suggestions!
I was either going to take my backpack and shove my purse into it or just take my purse since its decently sized(bigger than I'm used to) and will fit anything I need handy on the plane. The straps aren't long enough to be cross-body, but I hardly notice it on my shoulder. I definitely need a free hand for my coffee.
I'm going to wear simple slip-ons vans loafer like shoes or thats what I'm planning on and packing a pair of boots at the boot of the suitcase... they both take up around the same amount of space. Well unless the forecast is predicted to be a lot colder than I'd like.

I forgot about eBags... I just headed towards Overstock for the mypoints, but eBags has mypoints too. I think I might have an eBates account, but I always forget about it and just try mypoints whenever possible.
briteasafirefly
briteasafirefly

Back to top Go down

Post by agaphmou Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:37 am

I had a metal nail file taken from me Rolling Eyes and had to look all over in Greece to find another one,so take those paper? ones.
agaphmou
agaphmou

Honeycomb :

Back to top Go down

Post by agaphmou Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:46 am

Would you believe I just had a Bulgarian and a Greek Jehova's witness ring my bell? I haven't had one here in decades.Do they get gold star stickers if they convert anyone? seriously wtf lol
agaphmou
agaphmou

Honeycomb :

Back to top Go down

Post by agaphmou Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:49 am

Anyway,if you want to take some fragrance with you,Travalo.com says that their refillable atomizer thingies are airport approved
agaphmou
agaphmou

Honeycomb :

Back to top Go down

Post by briteasafirefly Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:00 pm

I've got some Victoria's Secret body spray thats in a smaller than 3oz container... I haven't really seen any decent reviews on the atomizers, they seem to leak.

I haven't filed my nails in forever...
the thing that irritates me is that some things you can't get through security, but you can buy it in the little airport shops. Of course, you'll have to toss it when you fly back since TSA is going to make you trash it.

We don't seem to get a lot of people coming to our door... we're a nice older residential neighborhood(starting to get the younger families buying houses around here), but I think they avoid our street since some houses have hills to climb. We haven't had a girl scout come selling cookies in years... we'd buy those, if they did!
briteasafirefly
briteasafirefly

Back to top Go down

Post by Nyssa Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:40 pm

Check out Big Lots for carry on luggage.

I found a nice Oleg Casini wheeled carry-on and matching "train case" (at least that's what they used to be called; think cosmetics or toiletries bag) for around $35 for the pair. They also had a matching larger wheeled suitcase, but it had a wonky zipper, so I passed on it.

You might find a nice bargain that'll work for you.

As for liquids and other possible no-nos, I just took a few very basics like toothpaste, then hit a store at the other end (drug store, dollar store, Kmart, what have you) to get the other items I would need. Less to haul in the carry-on, less chance that I'd hit a security person who was having a bad day, and less chance of a leakage en route.

Nyssa

Number of posts : 525
Honeycomb : Just entering the Black Hole
Registration date : 2008-06-17

http://nyssa.cnc.net

Back to top Go down

Post by briteasafirefly Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:57 pm

I was thinking of looking at Ross since I got a pretty nice duffle bag there(one I'll use if i don't find a wheeled carry-on I like)... I didn't think about going to Big Lots!

I am lucky enough to have family driving up, so I can send a small bag with them... it just has to be spares of things(or stuff that I'll eventually need more of) or stuff that I can live without until I see them friday evening until they return home a few weeks later.
I'm not super high maintenance, so I don't have a ton of things to stuff into the 1 quart bag. But I'll probably check my purse a bazillion times to make sure I'm not forgetting something! Its just a major P.I.A. to have to pack a lipgloss or chapstick(i keep both along with a few other things in one of the freebie target makeup bags) into the 1 quart bag when I like having easy access to it.

Anyone know anything about taking vitamins in a carry-on bag? I have a daily pillbox that i usually fill up... a couple are gel capsules. Obviously they are not prescription, but I can't find a yes or a no on vitamins in general.
briteasafirefly
briteasafirefly

Back to top Go down

Post by Nyssa Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:53 am

I hadn't even thought about vitamins!

I had two weeks' worth with me in those pill-a-day containers when I went to Calgary, but I had 'em in my checked bag.

My beta carotene and E are gelcaps, but you'd think the security droids would recognize the vitamin E since they've been around for ages. And if someone has a combustible that small that could do any kind of serious damage, they should patent it and make a bundle from the CIA! LOL!

Jeez, is it any wonder that people are getting more and more disgusted with these "rules" that no one seems to be certain of and that have YET to catch anyone planning to do anything?

Nyssa

Back to top Go down

Post by agaphmou Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:34 am

The next time I travel,whenever that is,it's going to trouble.I take vitamin D because I'm very low on it,but I also have a bunch of rx drugs I take plus my injectable HGH which has to be refrigerated.I assume that since it's in vials w/ an rx label there shouldn't be aproblem,but you never know w/those TSA bastards
agaphmou
agaphmou

Honeycomb :

Back to top Go down

Post by agaphmou Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:39 am

Besides that I would rather be searched than go through that radiation machine.I have heard over and over that the radiation emitted by that thing is not controlled and they have no idea what the effects could be down the road.I couldn't use it anyway b/c of my brain tumor.I went through too much to go through the surgeries again.
agaphmou
agaphmou

Honeycomb :

Back to top Go down

Post by briteasafirefly Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:19 pm

I checked Big Lots and they had two suitcases... I wouldn't even bother with them! I already look a lot younger than my age, I'm not flying with luggage covered in peace symbols that screams teenager!
I was looked at all the department stores and Target at the mall... I was disappointed that not even Target seemed to have decently priced luggage. I just can't see myself paying $70+ for one carry-on suitcase(i might be cheap... I just don't fly very often to make it worth it)!

Between checked baggage fees and all these new rules... they are really discouraging people from travelling by plane.

And if someone wants to get something through thats going to harm people, they will find a way. Criminals don't follow the rules anyways... the rules just hurt the law abiding citizens!
briteasafirefly
briteasafirefly

Back to top Go down

Post by briteasafirefly Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:30 pm

agaphmou wrote:Besides that I would rather be searched than go through that radiation machine.I have heard over and over that the radiation emitted by that thing is not controlled and they have no idea what the effects could be down the road.I couldn't use it anyway b/c of my brain tumor.I went through too much to go through the surgeries again.

I'm undecided on which I rather do...
I'm likely to wear pretty fitted clothes... making it obvious I'm not hiding anything! Its worked to avoid pat-downs at concerts... although, TSA agents are probaby a different story and would still pat me down.
I just want to get through security as quickly a possible and get some coffee! Thinking it shouldn't be too bad before 7am!

I've got to be the most innocent looking person ever... I only get comments on that repeatedly! But I've gotten stopped at the gate, so who knows!
briteasafirefly
briteasafirefly

Back to top Go down

Post by Nyssa Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:58 am

If you're traveling alone, figure on getting searched/patted down. For some reason those of us who travel alone are considered higher risk despite our ages and genders and plain common sense.

Considering I've ALWAYS traveled alone by plane, I've always been targeted. Business travel, personal travel, whatever. I don't travel in herds. lol

A friend of mine refuses to go through the radiation machine and insists on a pat down instead and tells everyone within earshot WHY he won't go through the machine. It makes a bunch of other people think twice too and so the TSA droids end up having to do 'way more pat downs. He really pisses off the droids, but figures it's worth it if more people are made aware of the possible dangers of the machine. Plus it lets the powers that be know that people are unhappy with the current state of affairs.

Nyssa

Back to top Go down

Post by Nyssa Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:05 am

Oh, forgot to mention....

Sorry you didn't find anything at Big Lots. If you've got another Big Lots store in another area not too far away, it might be worth checking that store. I've found there is a BIG difference between stores and what they carry. Some have more furniture and others more food items and others more luggage or sporting goods. Very uneven stocking, so it must be up to the local or regional managers which store gets what.

Another place to try would be TJ Maxx or Marshalls. They usually have quite a few pieces of luggage in stock. As long as you're not looking for an entire matching set, they can be pretty good deals. And no peace symbols. Smile

Nyssa

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down