Unofficial Bzz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All Canadians... please answer this question

5 posters

Go down

All Canadians... please answer this question Empty All Canadians... please answer this question

Post by bizzeedee Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:43 pm

Where exactly is Nemac?

We're watching the opening ceremony of the Olympics and a torch carrier mentioned she had been assigned the most northern part of North America, Nemac, population,, 6000.

Chuck and I can't find it on our atlas (we old people can't see small print LOL)

and we're also wondering, what do people sustain themselves on, jobwise? I did a couple of googles, but just couldn't find what I was looking for...
bizzeedee
bizzeedee
Really Not Getting Much Done Around the House

Number of posts : 4243
Honeycomb : Sweet Bee ~ Level 6 ~
Registration date : 2008-03-10

Back to top Go down

All Canadians... please answer this question Empty Re: All Canadians... please answer this question

Post by Rebecca1340 Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:34 pm

Beats me! Probably up in Nunavut around Alert somewhere. I think Alert is the most northern permanent settlement in the world.
The populations up there aren't too big. A lot of places have no roads leading to them so they either have to wait for ships to bring supplies once a year or wait for air shipments. I don't really know what they do for jobs other than the traditional hunting, fishing, and whatever else the community needs. There's some mining and oil drilling too. There are military bases too so some civies would work for them.
Rebecca1340
Rebecca1340
Admin

Number of posts : 6118
Honeycomb : Slowly sinking deeper into the Abyss

http://bzzz.heavenforum.com

Back to top Go down

All Canadians... please answer this question Empty Re: All Canadians... please answer this question

Post by bizzeedee Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:07 pm

While I appreciate that you're the only one to address my question Rebecca, I got out my atlas and magnifing glass and can't even find Nanavult...

so guess it's just one of those things I'll never know, and after the Olympics are over, probably will never think about it again :-)
bizzeedee
bizzeedee

Back to top Go down

Post by kleenaechs Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:30 am

Is your atlas older than April 1, 1999 perhaps? That it is when it became the northern most territory.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nunavut

kleenaechs
In Need of a 12 Step Program
In Need of a 12 Step Program

Number of posts : 641
Registration date : 2009-05-21

Back to top Go down

Post by bizzeedee Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:28 pm

Actually, the atlas I've been searching (lousy one) is 1998. But from the article in wikipedia, I think I must have misheard the story... as I don't think from that and what Rebecca described, that they would have run with the torch thru that area.
bizzeedee
bizzeedee

Back to top Go down

Post by Rebecca1340 Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:09 pm

The torch went through Nunavut. I can't remember how they got it up there... maybe Skidoo or something like that, but they sent it up to Alert. Oh and kleenachs is right -- before then Nunavut was part of the Northwest Territories.
Rebecca1340
Rebecca1340
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bizzeedee Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:52 pm

Okay then perhaps I heard right and wrong... I was sure she said Nemac... but maybe that's US speak for Nanavut... and yeah, maybe skidoo or dog sled LOL
bizzeedee
bizzeedee

Back to top Go down

Post by edbson Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:07 pm

Isn't Baffin Island in/near nanavut? A friend of ours fishes there yearly......not sure for what. he fishes, traps and some other crap
edbson
edbson

Number of posts : 5916
Honeycomb : Level 6~ the abyss,
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Rebecca1340 Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:49 pm

Yep, it's kind of between mainland Nunavut and Greenland. It's a huge island, but the population is only around 5000 or 6000.
Rebecca1340
Rebecca1340
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by trax Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:17 pm

bizzeedee wrote:Okay then perhaps I heard right and wrong... I was sure she said Nemac... but maybe that's US speak for Nanavut... and yeah, maybe skidoo or dog sled LOL

no matter, nice 4 u to acknowledge. cheers

oh eh, it might be 23 skidoo that john prine sings of Surprised Surprised
trax
trax

Number of posts : 1470
Honeycomb : In Hold Mode - Level 6
Registration date : 2008-04-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down