Unofficial Bzz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My newest obsession

4 posters

Go down

My newest obsession Empty My newest obsession

Post by Nyssa Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:53 am

I don't watch much current TV. The shows the networks are throwing out there are just not interesting to me (how many "reality" shows and cop procedurals can they fill up the sked with?). I don't have cable or satellite either. Multiple channels with nothing to watch *that you pay for* isn't an answer either.

So I buy up DVDs of old shows or movies when I see them on sale. Big Lots has tables full of movies for $3 each, and I've found some real gems...and some stinkers. Amazon has terrific sales, and I've picked up full seasons of some older TV shows for $15 or less.

But I still wanted something more.

So I bought, through Amazon Marketplace, a REGION-FREE DVD player!

Yep, it plays DVDs from anywhere in the world, not just the Region 1 stuff for North America. Best part is I used my gift card balance to buy the thing ($75...not much more than a plain, vanilla player), so it didn't "cost" me anything out of pocket.

I've started finding Region 2 (UK and Europe) DVDs and have been enjoying absolutely wonderful shows, some of which I've seen before via PBS, CBC, or TVOntario (back when I lived in Michigan and could pull in a couple of Canadian stations). Ever Decreasing Circles and Poldark are my two current enjoyments. It's refreshing to watch intelligent, well acted, and well written programs that don't have a lot of blood, gore, or comedy based on insults and juvenile "humor", or shock value. I'm LOVING IT!

I've given my neighbor the heads-up to tell her relatives in Germany to start sending us DVDs for us to watch now that I can play 'em. Smile Next thing is to keep an eye out for DVDs of shows from Oz and NZ (yet another region).

So as a hint to all of you out there: if you can find a region-free DVD player....GRAB IT! It will open up an whole new world of entertainment and fun.

Plus if you've got a foreign language student in the house, getting movies or TV shows in another language is a terrific way to improve your vocabulary and comprehension.

Nyssa
In Need of a 12 Step Program

Number of posts : 525
Honeycomb : Just entering the Black Hole
Registration date : 2008-06-17

http://nyssa.cnc.net

Back to top Go down

My newest obsession Empty Re: My newest obsession

Post by Lori Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:19 pm

Have you ever watched any of the Midsomer Murders? They used to put them on A&E, but they haven't been on in almost a year. It's a series they still make, and I want to see more of them. The DVDs are sold on Amazon but they're too expensive. I recommend them if you come across any, though.

And you're right, when I lived downstate we got some good programming. The BBC had lots of series that were brought over here and turned into popular sitcoms. I used to watch Robin's Nest - which became Three's Company in the US. FUN stuff!
Lori
Lori

Number of posts : 8682
Honeycomb : Sweet Bee, Level 6
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Nyssa Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:01 pm

I've never seen Midsomer Murders, but I've seen the DVDs advertised on BBCAmerica's website (a couple of 'em are currently on sale) and on amazon's US site.

But do check out the amazon.co.uk site! I've been amazed at the price differences between the exact same shows packaged for Region 1 and those that are Region 2. The UK ones are usually MUCH cheaper! For example the "Tinker, Taylor, Soldier, Spy" DVD for Region 1 is listed on the US amazon for a whopping $45. The same set for Region 2 on the UK amazon is 6 GBP...less than $12 US! Even throwing in shipping, it's a bargain.

BTW here's a link to the UK site for Midsomer Murders DVDs:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/search/ref=sr_nr_p_n_binding_browse-b_0?rh=n%3A283926%2Ck%3Amidsomer+murders%2Cp_n_binding_browse-bin%3A383381011&bbn=283926&keywords=midsomer+murders&ie=UTF8&qid=1258306964&rnid=383379011

One thing to keep in mind when looking at the UK prices. As shown, they include UK VAT, but once you put them into your cart and begin checkout, the VAT is taken off, so once they tag on postage charges, it evens out. Plus they give you the option to get charged in US dollars, so you'll avoid the transaction fee that your credit card company hits you with when you charge stuff in a foreign currency. And you lock in the exchange rate of the day of the transaction. (The way the dollar has been going up and down against the pound, yen, and euro, that's a good thing.) I only wish the UK amazon would accept my US amazon gift cards. lol

Nyssa

Number of posts : 525
Honeycomb : Just entering the Black Hole
Registration date : 2008-06-17

http://nyssa.cnc.net

Back to top Go down

Post by agaphmou Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:18 pm

I recommend a sitcom called AB-FAB from the bbc,it is too funny
agaphmou
agaphmou
Really Not Getting Much Done Around the House

Number of posts : 4523
Honeycomb :

Registration date : 2009-04-29

Back to top Go down

Post by tara Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:20 pm

I use to love Midsomer Murders before I denounced cable and satelitte, lol. I'm a bit of a dork, I would spend Saturday nights up all night watching old murder she wrote reruns.
tara
tara

Number of posts : 6833
Registration date : 2008-03-10

http://www.mythirtyone.com/taras/

Back to top Go down

Post by Lori Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:32 pm

Ab Fab (Absolutely Fabulous) was a riot. Loved the episode where Patsy sold Saffron into slavery so she could enjoy her holiday with Edina. LOL

Tara, I'm right there with you on the mysteries. My BzzAgent name isn't thebutlerdidit for nothing.
Lori
Lori

Number of posts : 8682
Honeycomb : Sweet Bee, Level 6
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by agaphmou Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:30 pm

yeah lori that was my favorite episode,in morocco.hehe
agaphmou
agaphmou