Unofficial Bzz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I need some ideas

3 posters

Go down

I need some ideas Empty I need some ideas

Post by BuzzNut Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:46 am

DH & I belong to a gun club, and started a trap club there. For those that don't know what Trap is, it is something similar to Skeet shooting, you shoot at clay targets with shotguns. This year, DH started a trap league in addition to the regular trap shoots. We are planning on having a banquet for the league some time in October. We are thinking either a cookout or a covered dish dinner type thing. I am planning on making a sheet cake with a broken "clay" target on it.

My dilema is that I am not sure how to get the target made. I have thought of using some fondant to use as a mold, to mold into a real target. Then after getting the mold made, pour chocolate into the fondant to get the "target" I would use to break. I would have to use something to make a mold from a real target, but I haven't worked with fondant, and not sure if that would be strong enough for a mold.

I want to use chocolate so it would be able to be broken, and still keep it's shape. I can't place the chocolate directly into the real target to make it, so I need something to use to make a mold for the chocolate. Anyone have any ideas what I could use that would set up enough to hold the chocolate to mold it?? I have been thinking of this now for a few weeks and can't come up with anything. I even thought of using saran wrap to line the real target and pour chocolate into that, but I am afraid I would get wrinkles from the wrap. I would only need to use a thin to medium amount of chocolate, so I could break it. I'm also going to have to color the chocolate either neon orange or neon green, that's the colors we use.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.
BuzzNut
BuzzNut
Really Not Getting Much Done Around the House

Number of posts : 1737
Honeycomb : Level 6 ....the endless doom
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

I need some ideas Empty Re: I need some ideas

Post by chelle Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:10 am

First of all, COOL!! on the gun glub Smile I think that a whole lot of people would be so suprised that they enjoyed shooting if they would just try skeet or trap!

I dont know how to tell you to do what you want to do. BUT, have you thought about modiling chocolate? you dont 'mold' it, you shape it like clay.

OR gumpaste? its not as good as chocolate, hard as hell to eat, LOL but it keeps your cake as an 'all edible' cake. (stupid as it sounds, thats important to me.)
OR, have you just thought about carving a cake? Making 3 or 4 sheet cakes, then putting them together and carving out your skeet? you could 'break' it. and for the 'peices' of clay that would be scattered around, you could either just drop globs of thick buttercream, or even use modeling chocolate and frost it. or rice crispy treats frosted.

I know what you are trying to do, I tried to think of a way to to do my diamond ring in a mold and then pull it out, but it just wouldnt work. I couldnt think of a single way to do it.

of course, I am a big proponant of sculpted cakes. They have a bigger 'awe' factor Smile
chelle
chelle

Number of posts : 6471
Honeycomb : the abyss with keys that dont fit any locks
Registration date : 2008-03-10

http://aretheyalseepyet.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by chelle Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:16 am

oh and I make my cakes pretty tall, when I use a pan, I make sure enough mix is put in to go to the top and over a little (just to fluff up, not boil over) turn the oven down to 325, and use flower nails in your pan, You fill it up, with the batter, then spray your flower nails with non stick stuff. Then you take them and stick the flat part down, so its touching the bottom o the pan, with the 'nail' sticking up through the batter, This generates heat in the center of the pans, helping to cook that part evenly and keeping it from doming quite as much.

But, if you get it tall enough, you will be able to scoop out the part that needs scooping out to give it the 'dish' look that skeet does have. I did it with the baseball glove, where the webbing is. I scooped out right there.
chelle
chelle

Number of posts : 6471
Honeycomb : the abyss with keys that dont fit any locks
Registration date : 2008-03-10

http://aretheyalseepyet.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by edbson Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:19 am

When we did one for a grooms cake, we poured colored Almond bark into a Clay that had been wrapped in Saran Wrap, several of them actually. We broke some, left one or two whole. It worked.
Wrap it tightly, then spray with nonstick spray. Then lightly coat it, and let it dry.
AAlmond bark is cheaper than chocolate, melts better and handles better.
edbson
edbson

Number of posts : 5916
Honeycomb : Level 6~ the abyss,
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post by BuzzNut Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:31 am

Erin did the saran leave wrinkles?? It probably wouldn't matter since it would be broken, and I have thought about a whole unbroken one as well on the cake.
The almond bark would be great to use, and cheaper than chocolate I'm sure.

Tara, I was just reading about the modeling chocolate the other day. I think they were calling it chocolate clay. I did think about it, but need to read more about it.
BuzzNut
BuzzNut

Back to top Go down

Post by BuzzNut Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:48 am

chelle wrote:First of all, COOL!! on the gun glub Smile I think that a whole lot of people would be so suprised that they enjoyed shooting if they would just try skeet or trap!

You would not believe the hassles we had trying to get this started. All they wanted to do was pistols and rifles. This is the 4th year now, and it is really booming after they have given it a try. It's the first year though for a league. There have been people quit the club because this was started (men can be such babies!).

Gary talked them into getting a trap machine, and it was slow going at first. Now it has taken off and the club is so surprised at how much money we turn in each month. We have had no less than 20 shooters at each event this year. The paper work is a nightmare though trying to keep everyone up on their qualifications and then keeping seperate records for the league for best overall, most improved etc. We have a lot of women that has showed an interest too, and some are doing quite well.

We have got two people that are now triple distinquished, since they have started trap. They already had the distinquished in Pistol and Rifle and now Shotgun. They are a father & son, and now others are trying for the triple. Which there are not many that are triple distinquished.
BuzzNut
BuzzNut

Back to top Go down

Post by edbson Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:13 pm

I stretched it tight and put it on . It worked, there were a few wrinkles, but we broke it anyway...

I think the club is a great idea. We shoot Trap and Skeet, great stress reliever. We are members of a gun club, and it is alot of fun.
edbson
edbson

Number of posts : 5916
Honeycomb : Level 6~ the abyss,
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down