Unofficial Bzz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My kitchen canisters

+2
Lucky
thebigscott
6 posters

Go down

My kitchen canisters Empty My kitchen canisters

Post by thebigscott Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:06 pm

Last night the kids made pizza dough from scratch. But when Caly was getting more flour from the canister, Quinn came up behind her and startled her. The canister knocked over, rolled off the edge of the counter, and broke when it hit the floor. I'd already decided that if I ever saw some canisters that I liked better I was going to donate the set I had to goodwill. The ones I had were pretty, but they had a lot of little ridges that seemed to catch dust and food residue. They're right next to the stove so anytime I cooked anything greasy I'd have to spend 15 minutes wiping them down. Long story short, I'm not sorry that one of them broke.

But, when I went shopping I couldn't find any that I liked any better. Then inspiration hit. Caly and I went down to the local ceramics shop and asked if they had any canisters we could glaze ourselves. This way I can make them any color I want. Sure enough they had a variety and I found some I liked. The lady who runs it is a friend and she's going to cast me a set of four of the largest size rather than have them decrease in size like most sets. After all, a bag of flour and a bag of sugar are both the same size, right? I actually only have room on my counter for 3, but I know how things like this go in our house so I want to do 4 in case one is broken.

So, all this will take a while. She's going to cast them from the mold this week, so I should be able to paint them next week. Then they'll have to be fired in the kiln. But since this is a small shop, she can't guarantee that she'll have enough people making pieces to fill up the kiln on any particular day. It would eat up all her profits to fire individually so I may have to wait another week or two for her to fire them. But... a month from now I will be the proud owner of a set of canisters that I painted myself.

My kitchen is that green from the 50's. You know, the color of a granny smith apple. I'm thinking I'll paint them yellow with a few different shades of blue scattered around. And I already know I want to have the kids dip their fingers in dark blue and handle them. I have a plate I made when Zoe was about 9 months old that has her little fingerprints all along one edge where she kept trying to grab it while I was painting. I want to do that on these ones.
thebigscott
thebigscott
Really Not Getting Much Done Around the House

Number of posts : 9214
Honeycomb : Level 6 ~ Sweet Bee
Registration date : 2008-03-10

http://messierobjects.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

My kitchen canisters Empty Re: My kitchen canisters

Post by Lucky Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:13 pm

Sounds fun! I'd love to see pics when you get them done.

You can use their thumbprint repeated in a circle and make a flower on the front.
Lucky
Lucky

Number of posts : 1488
Honeycomb : 6 infinity
Registration date : 2008-05-03

Back to top Go down

Post by tara Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:54 pm

Cool, I wanna see too. I LOVE that color green Smile
tara
tara

Number of posts : 6833

http://www.mythirtyone.com/taras/

Back to top Go down

Post by chelle Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:40 pm

Oh I love that color of your kitchen!! and yes, yellow and blue would be great with it!
chelle
chelle

Number of posts : 6471
Honeycomb : the abyss with keys that dont fit any locks

http://aretheyalseepyet.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by edbson Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:51 pm

They are gonna be awesome, cannot wait to see them.
edbson
edbson

Number of posts : 5916
Honeycomb : Level 6~ the abyss,
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Lori Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:10 pm

I can't wait to see these, either! Please post photos when they're all done!
Lori
Lori

Number of posts : 8682
Honeycomb : Sweet Bee, Level 6
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down