Unofficial Bzz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help, tiny black ants in my kitchen

+8
Lucky
chelle
honcho
Honey
edbson
trax
tara
mrschia
12 posters

Go down

Help, tiny black ants in my kitchen Empty Help, tiny black ants in my kitchen

Post by mrschia Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:11 pm

I have lived in my home 17 years and never ever had ants before. We spray every quarter religiously because we live in a very wooded area. Well, I have tiny black ants for the second time this summer. I had the bug man come back out last time and then they were gone until now.

Any suggestions??? This make me crazy, I knew where they were coming from before, but not this time. Somewhere around my sink???

This really gags me out, help please!! I do have small children and cats.

YUCK!!!!!

Thanks!
mrschia
mrschia
In Need of a 12 Step Program

Number of posts : 670
Honeycomb : Level 6~ Sweet Bee
Registration date : 2008-04-03

Back to top Go down

Help, tiny black ants in my kitchen Empty Re: Help, tiny black ants in my kitchen

Post by tara Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:18 pm

Mix sugar and borax and put it somewhere the ants will go but the kids and pets can't get too. They will take it back to the others and it will kill them. Wipe down everything in your kitchen with vinegar and until they are under control be completely anal about crumbs and food.
tara
tara

Number of posts : 6833
Registration date : 2008-03-10

http://www.mythirtyone.com/taras/

Back to top Go down

Help, tiny black ants in my kitchen Empty Re: Help, tiny black ants in my kitchen

Post by trax Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:20 pm

Correct - borax and icing sugar. I will try to locate the recipe and yes, it does work - on any ants.
trax
trax
Really Not Getting Much Done Around the House

Number of posts : 1470
Honeycomb : In Hold Mode - Level 6
Registration date : 2008-04-04

Back to top Go down

Post by tara Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:22 pm

oh yes sorry, confectionary sugar (same consistency as the borax) sorry
tara
tara

Number of posts : 6833

http://www.mythirtyone.com/taras/

Back to top Go down

Post by edbson Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:58 pm

They dislike cinnamon and peppermint......black ants aren't gonna hurt anything, they are just sugar ants. Be glad it isn't the crazy raspberry ants like we have.omg they never ever go away.
edbson
edbson

Number of posts : 5916
Honeycomb : Level 6~ the abyss,
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post by mrschia Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:17 pm

Thanks everyone, where do I find borax???
mrschia
mrschia

Back to top Go down

Post by Honey Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:05 pm

mrschia wrote:Thanks everyone, where do I find borax???

Laundry isle. One brand is 20 Mule Team. I also have lots of ant issues. My hubby uses honey in his coffee and we had to put the jar in a bowl of water to stop drawing them in. I have been using poison for two years without much luck at all, then we put the honey in a bowl of water and viola, no more ants!

Last edited by Honey on Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Honey
Honey

Number of posts : 1859
Honeycomb : 5
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by honcho Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:25 pm

My favorite trick that I read somewhere is if you can find the crack/hole they are coming in fill it with baby powder. I took it a step further and use medicated gold bond power that has a menthol in it. We fought them since we moved in 5 years ago and I have had no issues at all this summer.
honcho
honcho
In Need of a Life
In Need of a Life

Number of posts : 461
Honeycomb : Sweet Bee
Registration date : 2008-04-17

Back to top Go down

Post by chelle Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:03 am

erin, you have the rasberry ants already? OMG.
Fire ants are KILLING me. I dread the rasberry ants.

I'd actually feel blessed to get piss ants. You can get baits for them. and they usually wont hurt the animals unless they eat them. every once in a while I catch my idiot cat toting around an ant trap. But she is a bubble off plumb. I would imagine they are just coming up around your pipes. I'd try the borax. If you mix it and put it in a mustard bottle (take the mustard out first) you can sorta 'spray' it everywhere.

There are also some 'caulk' like things you can buy.

So far this year I have lost 2 light switches, a plug and an air compressor to the fire ants. They get in the contacts and as they are being electicuted they get it all messed up. we replaced the switches and outlets. And BR was able to clean out the compressor and get it working again. Thank God. The inlaws lost a well pump to them. They ended up having to buy a whole new one, cause the motor got burned up ( there was a carbon based error in there too, but the fire ants started it. )
chelle
chelle

Number of posts : 6471
Honeycomb : the abyss with keys that dont fit any locks

http://aretheyalseepyet.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by mrschia Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:12 am

Wow, I guess I am lucky to have these tiny little black ones. I am going to have to run to the store Smile

Thank you all so much!
mrschia
mrschia

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucky Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:45 pm

Black pepper is safe around kids....just put it across the trail where they come in, they won't cross it.
Lucky
Lucky

Number of posts : 1488
Honeycomb : 6 infinity
Registration date : 2008-05-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Missy Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:52 pm

Anyone have any hints to keep spiders out?? We get a lot, I have even killed a few wolf spiders.

I am TERRIFIED of spiders. Just short of being an arachnaphobic (sp). Last night I saw one, and threw shoes at it to kill it. That is how scared of spiders I am.
Missy
Missy

Number of posts : 2031
Honeycomb : Level 6- The Abyss
Registration date : 2008-04-25

http://www.cafemom.com/home/missmissy

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucky Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:04 pm

These greatly reduce spiders, and get rid of many other creatures that might try to get in your home. They are excellent for field mice too!

https://www.riddexplus.com/?cid=551798
Lucky
Lucky

Number of posts : 1488
Honeycomb : 6 infinity
Registration date : 2008-05-03

Back to top Go down

Post by trax Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:14 pm

Missy - I am also terrified of spiders (any kind). An area in which we once lived was infested with black widows. Our neighborette took a nasty bite by one on the foot, she was hospitalized for three days. Any spider, well, do not mess around with it. I was bit last year by a spider; all the drs. could tell me as that it was a spider bite; not what kind of spider bit me. It was hell.
trax
trax

Number of posts : 1470
Honeycomb : In Hold Mode - Level 6
Registration date : 2008-04-04

Back to top Go down

Post by mrschia Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:27 pm

Lucky wrote:Black pepper is safe around kids....just put it across the trail where they come in, they won't cross it.

I am stuck, they are coming in around the light under the upper cabinet. Pepper and other stuff won't stick up there and I am afraid to spray the fixture.

The only thing there is the sink, no food over there in those cabinets just dishes and they aren't in the cabinet.

I am use to bugs, but not in my kitchen, when you live around tons of woods it is just part of life.
mrschia
mrschia

Back to top Go down

Post by WhtTigress Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:35 pm

hmmm... well, I haven't tried it, but if they don't like pepper, maybe tabasco or something like that will work too???
WhtTigress
WhtTigress
Worker Bee
Worker Bee

Number of posts : 105
Honeycomb : Level 6 - Sweet Bee
Registration date : 2008-05-30

Back to top Go down

Post by hkh9832 Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:38 pm

My condo has a spider, ant and silverfish problem (yeah, I'm not sad about leaving at all). So I can relate. I've gotten spider bites every year since I've moved in. Ugh.

As for the ants, I bought Terro ant traps which has borax in it also. That cleared up the problem and so quickly.
hkh9832
hkh9832
Bzzing
Bzzing

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2008-04-12

Back to top Go down

Post by bizzeedee Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:45 pm

Borax & water works. We've had a problem twice in our bathroom... I make up an equal mixture with a little hot, as in boiling,water, paint it on the edge of the floor/basebard with a paintbrush, and it stops them in their tracks.

You can also sprinkle Borax (as in 20 Mule Team) around the perimeter of your house/doors and it will also detract them from coming in. Use a a Kraft paramesan cheese like container.
bizzeedee
bizzeedee

Number of posts : 4243
Honeycomb : Sweet Bee ~ Level 6 ~

Back to top Go down

Post by mrschia Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:48 am

thank you, I am going beat this thing thanks to all of you Smile
mrschia
mrschia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down