Unofficial Bzz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Some good news for me!! LONG

+2
tara
aurora04
6 posters

Go down

Some good news for me!!  LONG Empty Some good news for me!! LONG

Post by aurora04 Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:01 am

I have had a bunch of good things happening over the last little while, so I thought would share with you guys. My unemployment has ended, and I was trying to find a job, but no one would hire me because of 2 jobs on my resume. I have worked for Citizenship and Immigration for 2 casual terms (which is normal), so when people see that on my resume, they tend not to hire because they know that chances are that I will quit if they called me back (which of course I would do since I would rather make about $19/hour then minimum wage which is just over $8/hr then collect more on unemployment for a year making more then I would at minimum wage). Well I had an interview with Citizenship (new hiring process once again, so had to jump through more government hoops, LOL), and I found out I made the pool and they are just waiting for funding (hopefully in April). So that is good news number 1 (it will be better news when I get the job, LOL). Good news number 2, is I finally got a job (not government) with an inbound call centre. That job doesn't start until April 13 (which sucks because that's 2 weeks with no money coming in for me), but at least I know I have a job! The third piece of good news is I finally got my drivers license renewed. When they expired almost 3 years ago, I didn't bother renewing them because I don't drive (we could only afford insurance for 1 person at that time, so we picked DH) and I couldn't really justify spending $70 for a license I wouldn't be using. I had to get them renewed before April or I would have to start all over with a written test and a road test. Well DH called the insurance company to find out how much it was going to cost if we wanted to put me on the insurance. They did the math with his years driving, and my years of being a licensed driver and it worked out that it wasn't going to cost us anything!! If we did it last year, it would have cost us, but now it won't cost us anything! I am so freaking happy about that! Now I have to get used to driving the SUV (I have really only driven compact cars before). The fourth piece of good news is we had been getting Daycare subsidy for Ceilidh since September (they changed the rules in Sept, so we just qualified). They were only paying just over $4/day for Ceilidh to go to preschool, but when I called them and told them I had no job (unemployment JUST ended on the 22nd of March), they upped their amount and now we are only paying $12.58/day for Ceilidh instead of over $20/day! The best news about that put the new rate down for ALL of March! Instead of having to pay over $500 for the month, we only had to pay $275! Oh and the last piece of good news (hopefully) is that before Christmas I had an interview with another government agency. They said they were hoping to hire for March (but I'm thinking now April because of funding), but if I didn't hear anything, not to panic because no news was good news. Well I haven't heard anything yet, and when I contacted them a couple weeks ago, they said that they are still working on it, so to continue with the "no news is good news" thing. This job would be perfect because it's permanent! There is none of this casual BS like Citizenship.

I have also been able to get some sleep. I went to my doctor to ask some questions about shingles, and he gave me some pain meds that only help with this kind of pain. I was shocked because I never asked for anything, he volunteered it (which is NOT like him). He told me they can make you drowsy, so he suggested I take one pill at night since I had kids, plus it would help me sleep if it made me drowsy (now I'm wondering if I looked terrible because of exhaustion, LOL). OMG, they don't just make me drowsy, but they knock me out!! DH has been working backshifts since I started taking these meds, so I have been having to sleep on the couch because I do not wake up! This way if the kids wake up (which they always do), they just have to come into the living room and climb on the couch and go back to sleep (my room is down a small flight of stairs and there is a baby gate blocking those stairs so they are not able to come into my room). LOL. I don't remember the last time that I wasn't exhausted when I woke up in the morning!
aurora04
aurora04
In Need of a 12 Step Program

Number of posts : 766
Honeycomb : Level 6, Sweet Bee
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Back to top Go down

Some good news for me!!  LONG Empty Re: Some good news for me!! LONG

Post by tara Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:22 am

I'm so happy for you Dawn! Glad things are looking up and affordable daycare is always nice. Congrats on the job(s) and drivers license !
tara
tara

Number of posts : 6833
Registration date : 2008-03-10

http://www.mythirtyone.com/taras/

Back to top Go down

Post by Missy Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:24 am

Glad that things are looking up for you! And it's always nice when you can get help on some things, and daycare expenses are especially great to get help with. :-) I hope that everything continues to work in your favor!
Missy
Missy
Really Not Getting Much Done Around the House

Number of posts : 2031
Honeycomb : Level 6- The Abyss
Registration date : 2008-04-25

http://www.cafemom.com/home/missmissy

Back to top Go down

Post by thebigscott Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:20 am

It's so nice to hear that things are starting to go well for you. I really hope that you get the permanent government job. That would be so great for you!
thebigscott
thebigscott

Number of posts : 9214
Honeycomb : Level 6 ~ Sweet Bee
Registration date : 2008-03-10

http://messierobjects.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by amybeccaz Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:44 pm

That's great news!!

My dad does something similar but w/ the IRS. He works seasonal with them (from Jan or Feb through May or June), then they "let him go".... and he starts it up again the following year. One lady told him he could collect unemployment, to which he was shocked, but was told "yep... everyone does it at the IRS". ::rolling eyes:: LOL So... this is his fourth year working for the IRS, and it works well for him.
amybeccaz
amybeccaz

Number of posts : 621
Registration date : 2008-04-12

http://www.twocuteblondies.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by aurora04 Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:42 pm

That's great that he gets back every year. Citizenship doesn't guarantee people getting back each year. Actually there was about 2 years between my 2 times there. That's why I am so hoping that Service Canada (the other government agency) calls soon, at least one way or the other.
aurora04
aurora04

Number of posts : 766
Honeycomb : Level 6, Sweet Bee
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post by BuzzNut Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:28 pm

Good for you, I'm glad things seem to be turning around. It sure is tough without unemployment and no job. I done it for a few months.
BuzzNut
BuzzNut

Number of posts : 1737
Honeycomb : Level 6 ....the endless doom
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down