Unofficial Bzz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Quilting?

+2
KellyM
MrsCuffs
6 posters

Go down

Quilting? Empty Quilting?

Post by MrsCuffs Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:25 pm

Anyone here ever made a quilt?

See, I got this hair brained idea to make my daughter a keepsake for her first birthday. I saw these printable fabric sheets and thought, hey, a quilt with her own milestones from her first year sewn in sounds neat. So I got this little lightweight Barbie sewing Machine on clearance from Sears, picked out pre-cut quilt squares from ebay, bought the quilting thread, even layed out my squares how they should go, now I find myself wondering if I've gotten myself into a mess. I have no idea how to use a sewing machine, let alone make a quilt, but did find some directions that makes it sound easy enough.

I'm just wondering if it's as easy as I think it is or have I gotten myself into a world of trouble? LOL
MrsCuffs
MrsCuffs
Queen Bee
Queen Bee

Number of posts : 157
Registration date : 2008-04-02

Back to top Go down

Quilting? Empty Re: Quilting?

Post by KellyM Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:34 pm

I make quilts. They can be simple or they can be complicated. I have never used a Barbie Sewing machine, I don't know anything about them. Using a sewing machine isn't all that difficult, mostly it just takes practice. Learning your different settings on your particular machine and getting the tension right. If you're not sure at first use practice material. If you are just sewing together your squares or even putting a border between squares that stuff is fairly easy once you are familiar with your machine. Some of these television shows on HGTV and stuff might help, or maybe a local bookstore or on the web. Some local communities have sewing/quilting classes for a very small fee. Good Luck and have fun!
KellyM
KellyM
Really Not Getting Much Done Around the House
Really Not Getting Much Done Around the House

Number of posts : 2887
Registration date : 2008-05-26

Back to top Go down

Post by chelle Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:41 pm

I made quilts and curtains and even make dresses for Rayley.

ITs not hard. On my quilts I did tem by hand partly and sewing machine the other part. The main thing is to keep your stiches even and make sure you are stiching them together evenly.

I do recomend ironing the peices once you have sewed them together (ironing them down flat, they go onto the next peice easier that way)

And are you going to sew the batting with the sewing machine? (sew both peices with the batting in the middle together) or are you going to do it by hand?

If you feel you are spending too much time 'quilting' then you can tie it.

You just get yarn, and a big needle. then do a down stich, and come up 1/2 inch away. Then cut it and tie it off.
chelle
chelle

Number of posts : 6471
Honeycomb : the abyss with keys that dont fit any locks
Registration date : 2008-03-10

http://aretheyalseepyet.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by edbson Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:44 pm

I quilt, but what about making a rag quilt? It is easier than traditional, hides misatkes well, and is EASY! You sewing machine should/will have instructions, ane the Barbie one is a good one. My DD has a Barbie Janome, and it is a good little machine.
Rag Quilt directions::

http://www.lovetosew.com/makeragquilt.htm

You DO have to buy the Fiskars rag quilt snippers, about $10 at Walmart or Joannes.
edbson
edbson

Number of posts : 5916
Honeycomb : Level 6~ the abyss,
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Jezzelle Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:21 pm

Sounds like a great idea MrsCuffs. This is something I've been meaning to do as well. I bought a book about quilting potholders (which can be turned into a quilt) as practice. I think this is the kind of thing that is as simple or complex as you'd like to make it. Have fun! Post a pic of the work in progress and results!
Jezzelle
Jezzelle
Queen Bee
Queen Bee

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2008-05-07

Back to top Go down

Post by manny1968 Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:03 pm

I don't really sew. but a few years ago I took a quilt class at joann fabrics and made a memory quilt and put pictures on fabric. it is a great keepsake
manny1968
manny1968
In Need of a Life
In Need of a Life

Number of posts : 381
Registration date : 2008-05-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down