Unofficial Bzz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Menopause- -Enter at your own risk!!!

+13
bzzinalong
Rebecca1340
kath
chelle
Missy
edbson
idatater46
Connie
bizzeedee
tara
Jezzelle
MrsCuffs
Scar
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Menopause- -Enter at your own risk!!! Empty Menopause- -Enter at your own risk!!!

Post by Scar Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:50 pm

'Many women arrive at their menopause years without knowing anything about what they might expect, or when or how the process might happen, and how long it might take. Very often a woman has not been informed in any way about this stage of life by her physician or by her social group.'

I was just diagnosed as being Perimenopausal.
I have to admit I'm pretty shook up about it.
Even though I HATE that time of the month and I never want to have any more kids,
I feel that menopause = old. Before you jump on me please understand I know that is not true...these are my feelings & I know they aren't facts.
I'm physically and emotionally "weird" all the time.
Try to imagine having PMS 24- 7, throw in some night sweats, insomnia, joint pain, muscle pain, the random hot flash and the occasional overwhelming urges to choke the living shit out of some dummy who needs it....that's how I feel.
I haven't started a hormone therapy yet because I just got the blood tests results & I've got an appt next week.

OK Ladies, step right up and share your tips and tricks for surviving this difficult change.
Scar
Scar
Really Not Getting Much Done Around the House

Number of posts : 1135
Honeycomb : Honey-Freaking-Bee-Finally!
Registration date : 2008-05-06

Back to top Go down

Menopause- -Enter at your own risk!!! Empty Re: Menopause- -Enter at your own risk!!!

Post by MrsCuffs Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:53 pm

Yikes, you sound like me and I'm only 25. Lord help whoever gets in my path when menopause hits.

On a serious note, I hope the hormone therapy helps. I remember how absurd my mom got when she hit menopause and didn't even attempt to seek help for it, made my teenage years a nightmare.
MrsCuffs
MrsCuffs
Queen Bee
Queen Bee

Number of posts : 157
Registration date : 2008-04-02

Back to top Go down

Menopause- -Enter at your own risk!!! Empty Re: Menopause- -Enter at your own risk!!!

Post by Scar Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:55 pm

heheheh...you do know it's hereditary...right?
Scar
Scar

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsCuffs Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:58 pm

Yeah, that's what scares me, I'm EXACTLY like my mother only twice as bad now as she was at my age. Feel sorry for my husband. Menopause- -Enter at your own risk!!! 363723
MrsCuffs
MrsCuffs
Queen Bee
Queen Bee

Number of posts : 157
Registration date : 2008-04-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Jezzelle Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:01 pm

Scarlett, being a woman is a powerful and scary thing! Pamper yourself during all this and let that inner bitch out when she wants to play. Those who love you will understand. I have no real advice, just wanted to show support. I love you
Jezzelle
Jezzelle
Queen Bee
Queen Bee

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2008-05-07

Back to top Go down

Post by tara Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:04 pm

Well Scar, I'm 28, so I'm not quite there yet. I have however suffered nasty hot flashes, insomnia and unfreakin believable night sweats since my first baby. My hormone levels hugely fluctuate, but my doc hesitates to give me any hormones at my age. He has no answers as to why or how to help with it either other than it may or may not be tied to the cysts.
Sorry I have nothing to offer but, I'll be looking forward to the tips.
tara
tara

Number of posts : 6833
Registration date : 2008-03-10

http://www.mythirtyone.com/taras/

Back to top Go down

Post by bizzeedee Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:05 pm

33... I went immediately into menopause. Had a total hystro... ovary (only had one left at that time) and all... woke up the morning after surgery and said "GIVE ME SOMETHING!" That was a long time ago, and since tossed my HRT drugs down the toilet and went on a natural program... Black Cohosh, Red Clover, and a few other herbs thrown into the mix. Hot flashes and mood swings are a thing of the past for me Laughing
bizzeedee
bizzeedee

Number of posts : 4243
Honeycomb : Sweet Bee ~ Level 6 ~

Back to top Go down

Post by Connie Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:21 pm

Scarlett, I've been right there with you since shortly after turning 40. The first year was awful for me because I really didn't know what was going on. Around 8 mos into it I finally figured out why I was losing my mind. Wink

Since then it has gotten better or I'm getting used to it. I still get crazily crabby, night sweats, insomnia, muscle aches etc but the sick feeling is gone and even this past month I didn't get any headaches! Hope is in sight.

I sincerely sympathize with you! I never would have dreamed it would be so crazy.
Connie
Connie
In Need of a 12 Step Program

Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2008-04-03

http://www.katieshugs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by idatater46 Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:39 pm

When I was going through that, My hubby would stick his head in the door to check the climate before he would enter. Wanted to make sure I wasn't after him with a baseball bat or anything. Its funny now, but used to make me so angry. It helps if you can get your hubby on board so he kinda understand what you are going through. I had a hysterectomy at quite a young age- had hormone therapy for awhile and then decided I wanted to try it without the meds. I think the Hot flashes were the worst- really the night sweats. He would be freezing and I would pull all the blankets off the bed shouting I cannot stand this heat. I didn't suffer with menopause like my mom did though- for that I was very thankful. Sometimes, I think your frame of mind has a lot to do with it. Just glad it is all behind me now.
idatater46
idatater46

Number of posts : 719
Registration date : 2008-04-04

Back to top Go down

Post by edbson Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:50 pm

I have hot flashes, I am almost praying it is the change, as my grandmother called it. I am hoping I end up like she did, one day it just happened and that was it.
edbson
edbson

Number of posts : 5916
Honeycomb : Level 6~ the abyss,
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Missy Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:49 am

[quote="bizzeedee"} Black Cohosh, Red Clover, and a few other herbs thrown into the mix. Hot flashes and mood swings are a thing of the past for me Laughing[/quote]

I worked at GNC for some time, and always had women coming in looking for something other than the Estroven (?) that was on the shelves. The training I recieved told me to recomend those herbs.

Scarlett, I wish you the best of luck through your bodie's changing. I hope that you and your DR can find something that will help you out.

This has made me aware that I should talk to my Mom more about what she is going through, if she is... I feel bad that I do not know. But I am more concerned with what the MS is doing to her though, so that could be it.
Missy
Missy

Number of posts : 2031
Honeycomb : Level 6- The Abyss
Registration date : 2008-04-25

http://www.cafemom.com/home/missmissy

Back to top Go down

Post by chelle Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:04 am

Hell scarlett, I feel like that all the time. especially wanting to choke the shit out of someone.

And I am not going through the change yet. Just screwed up cause I drink too much hormone laced milk I reckon. Smile

Seriously, I do sympthise. Hot flashes are awful, mood swings make you miserable and there is nothing worse than wanting to hug someone one minute and strangle them the next.

I dread when it happens. But I know it will come. I will just get me some good drugs, sit back and enjoy the ride. Smile LOL
chelle
chelle

Number of posts : 6471
Honeycomb : the abyss with keys that dont fit any locks

http://aretheyalseepyet.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Scar Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:45 am

Thanks everyone for the words of encouragement!
I was chatting via PM last night with another UB board member & she mentioned that this menopause stuff was making her crazy and that it's a "taboo" subject for most people. I thought OMG...she's right, I've been suffering in silence. Whenever I do mention the "M" word it's always in hushed tones like it's either A: Contagious or B: Stigmata.
The ladies here talk about everything under the sun-- kids, hubbies, food, shopping, why not something as certain as menopause?
By swallowing my pride and bringing this subject up I’ve leaned that I’m not alone, that I’m not crazy, and I’m going to the GNC to look for Black Cohosh, Red Clover,
Thank you SOOO much everyone!
Keep those helpful hints coming!
Scar
Scar

Back to top Go down

Post by kath Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:37 am

bizzeedee wrote:33... I went immediately into menopause. Had a total hystro... ovary (only had one left at that time) and all... woke up the morning after surgery and said "GIVE ME SOMETHING!" That was a long time ago, and since tossed my HRT drugs down the toilet and went on a natural program... Black Cohosh, Red Clover, and a few other herbs thrown into the mix. Hot flashes and mood swings are a thing of the past for me Laughing

I took those for a while, as well. Didn't need to stay on them for more than a year or two....when I was about 48
they worked great!
kath
kath

Number of posts : 1338

http://mckaitsbooks.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Scar Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:21 pm

More symptoms to look forward to:

decreased libido
vaginal dryness and vaginal atrophy -- affraid
problems reaching orgasm
dyspareunia or painful intercourse

This is a joke right?...huh??....please tell me it's joke What a Face
Scar
Scar

Back to top Go down

Post by bizzeedee Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:00 pm

missmissylette wrote:[quote="bizzeedee"} Black Cohosh, Red Clover, and a few other herbs thrown into the mix. Hot flashes and mood swings are a thing of the past for me Laughing

I worked at GNC for some time, and always had women coming in looking for something other than the Estroven (?) that was on the shelves. The training I recieved told me to recomend those herbs.

t.

This is too funny coming from such a young pup! But glad to know that stores like GNC are teaching their employees (or were). I, personally, don't care for that store, even though there is one in my city. IF I buy from a store, I prefer Vitamin World, which for me is a 30 mile drive.

27 huh? and now you know all about the Big M lol!
bizzeedee
bizzeedee

Back to top Go down

Post by bizzeedee Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:04 pm

Scar wrote:, and I’m going to the GNC to look for Black Cohosh, Red Clover,
Thank you SOOO much everyone!
Keep those helpful hints coming!

And it's always easily available at Walmart, Vitamin World, and our favorite (0nline) Swansons, many local health food stores, as well as lots of other stores. GNC tends to be over priced.
bizzeedee
bizzeedee

Back to top Go down

Post by bizzeedee Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:12 pm

kath wrote:
bizzeedee wrote:33... I went immediately into menopause. Had a total hystro... ovary (only had one left at that time) and all... woke up the morning after surgery and said "GIVE ME SOMETHING!" That was a long time ago, and since tossed my HRT drugs down the toilet and went on a natural program... Black Cohosh, Red Clover, and a few other herbs thrown into the mix. Hot flashes and mood swings are a thing of the past for me Laughing

I took those for a while, as well. Didn't need to stay on them for more than a year or two....when I was about 48
they worked great!

although the hot flashes/night sweats have been under control for some years, I continue to take them. I lost both ovaries, so my body no longer is making estrogen... so I rely on the red clover, blach cohosh, soy (yes I drink only soy milk), tofu and a few other herbs to produce that needed estrogen... and so far, I've not grown a beard, a mustache, nor has my voice tone change lol! and on the upside... I only have 2 hairs under each arm pit (I cut with a tiny sissor) and I rarely have to shave my legs lol!
bizzeedee
bizzeedee

Back to top Go down

Post by bizzeedee Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:14 pm

Scar wrote:More symptoms to look forward to:

decreased libido
vaginal dryness and vaginal atrophy -- affraid
problems reaching orgasm
dyspareunia or painful intercourse

This is a joke right?...huh??....please tell me it's joke What a Face

sorry, those aren't rumors... but there are ways to fix them.
bizzeedee
bizzeedee

Back to top Go down

Post by Missy Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:20 pm

bizzeedee wrote:
missmissylette wrote:[quote="bizzeedee"} Black Cohosh, Red Clover, and a few other herbs thrown into the mix. Hot flashes and mood swings are a thing of the past for me Laughing

t.

This is too funny coming from such a young pup! But glad to know that stores like GNC are teaching their employees (or were). I, personally, don't care for that store, even though there is one in my city. IF I buy from a store, I prefer Vitamin World, which for me is a 30 mile drive.

27 huh? and now you know all about the Big M lol!

I consider myself an OLDER 27 though.... with all that I went through (I am not ready to write that novel yet) but I have always felt it was my duty to know my body and what would happen as I got older. Not all GNC's were like mine. Well, they all can't have me as the store manager, who is always looking to learn to make sure that she can help her customers the best to her ability... *brushes shoulders* lol

But I do believe that I need to learn all I need to, and why is menopause so hushed? So many girls I know talk about their menstral cycles like they talk about what they had for breakfast, why not learn what will happen to you later in life? Or, in some cases, soon?

What I find interesting is that my hubby loves comedy, especially stand-up. Well, this afternoon, Roseanne was on Comedy Central and she started talking about "going through the change". I thought of this thread instantly and took notice. Boy, do I have a lot to look forward to! lol
Missy
Missy

Number of posts : 2031
Honeycomb : Level 6- The Abyss
Registration date : 2008-04-25

http://www.cafemom.com/home/missmissy

Back to top Go down

Post by Rebecca1340 Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:26 pm

I don't know, but after years of cysts and endometriosis, menopause seems kind of appealing some days!
Rebecca1340
Rebecca1340
Admin

Number of posts : 6118
Honeycomb : Slowly sinking deeper into the Abyss

http://bzzz.heavenforum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by idatater46 Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:52 am

I reveled in the fact after I had the hysterectomy- I welcomed not having to deal with that every month. Guess I was just plain ready. I know when i got feeling bad though- I would say to my hubby that I thought it was going to be a horrendous day so deemed it a Be Kind to Myself Day- and all had to be kind or else. lol
idatater46
idatater46

Number of posts : 719
Registration date : 2008-04-04

Back to top Go down

Post by chelle Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:44 am

Rebecca1340 wrote:I don't know, but after years of cysts and endometriosis, menopause seems kind of appealing some days!

I agree 100% and dont forget the miagraines. I know somehow they are connected to the hormones and all that.
chelle
chelle

Number of posts : 6471
Honeycomb : the abyss with keys that dont fit any locks

http://aretheyalseepyet.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by bzzinalong Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:44 am

I don't know much about the menopause, but I feel for you. My Mom is going through it and she's having such a hard time with the hot flashes and night sweats. My daughter and I went to vist her for spring break this year (it was still winter, freezing cold), and we about froze to death because she felt like she was on fire. She's always been mean and moody so I haven't seen much change their..lol.
bzzinalong
bzzinalong
Queen Bee
Queen Bee

Number of posts : 257
Honeycomb : Level 6
Registration date : 2008-03-19

Back to top Go down

Post by mrschia Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:35 am

I am 40 now and had a hyster. 7 plus years ago and they induced meno. on me in hopes to help. Needless to say it did not and ended up having it all removed because of endromet

I am on HRT pills every day and shots twice a month. DH has learned to give them to me. The injections are what saved me, no more hot flashes, mood swings, nothing. I am normal...well as much as any mom can be of two 4 year olds, lol

Anything I can do to help I would be happy to. I have tried it all!

Blessings to you, remember this is just a season and it too will pass!!
mrschia
mrschia

Number of posts : 670
Honeycomb : Level 6~ Sweet Bee
Registration date : 2008-04-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next