Unofficial Bzz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to Aiden (cheyandwysmom's nephew)

+8
Missy
KaeLynn
rikostan
Scar
kath
chelle
edbson
thebigscott
12 posters

Go down

Welcome to Aiden (cheyandwysmom's nephew) Empty Welcome to Aiden (cheyandwysmom's nephew)

Post by thebigscott Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:38 pm

For those who didn't read about him on BzzChat, Aiden is cheyandwysmom's 2 year old nephew. His mom was arrested and he is now an unexpected but much beloved part of cheyandwysmom's household. I thought we could have a welcome thread for him to help him through this difficult transition.

Welcome, Aiden!

Welcome to Aiden (cheyandwysmom's nephew) Scan00182
thebigscott
thebigscott
Really Not Getting Much Done Around the House

Number of posts : 9214
Honeycomb : Level 6 ~ Sweet Bee
Registration date : 2008-03-10

http://messierobjects.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Welcome to Aiden (cheyandwysmom's nephew) Empty Re: Welcome to Aiden (cheyandwysmom's nephew)

Post by edbson Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:40 pm

Welcome!
edbson
edbson

Number of posts : 5916
Honeycomb : Level 6~ the abyss,
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Back to top Go down

Welcome to Aiden (cheyandwysmom's nephew) Empty Re: Welcome to Aiden (cheyandwysmom's nephew)

Post by chelle Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:22 am

Welcome to Aiden (cheyandwysmom's nephew) 504522 Welcome to Aiden (cheyandwysmom's nephew) 943722 Welcome to Aiden (cheyandwysmom's nephew) 291891 Welcome to Aiden (cheyandwysmom's nephew) 789732

WELCOME!!
chelle
chelle

Number of posts : 6471
Honeycomb : the abyss with keys that dont fit any locks

http://aretheyalseepyet.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by kath Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:02 am

a beautiful picture!
kath
kath

Number of posts : 1338

http://mckaitsbooks.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Scar Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:46 am

Welcome to Aiden (cheyandwysmom's nephew) Elmo
Welcome Aiden
Scar
Scar

Number of posts : 1135
Honeycomb : Honey-Freaking-Bee-Finally!
Registration date : 2008-05-06

Back to top Go down

Post by rikostan Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:40 pm

That's my youngest son's name too. He is 6 years old and the name has really been picking up steam in the last 5 years.

Aidan Conner is his name and it fits perfectly. he has bright orange hair and a mischievous grin....
This pic is a few years old, but I love it.

Welcome to Aiden (cheyandwysmom's nephew) Tester

Welcome to the new Aiden too!
rikostan
rikostan
Worker Bee
Worker Bee

Number of posts : 122
Registration date : 2008-05-23

http://rikostan.com

Back to top Go down

Post by KaeLynn Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:05 pm

Oh Rikostan He's ADORABLE!!!! I love that orange curly hair!! I remember my oldest had that curly hair!!! Its gotten so think that they all fell out!!!

Welcome Aiden!!!!
KaeLynn
KaeLynn
Queen Bee
Queen Bee

Number of posts : 226
Registration date : 2008-04-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Missy Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:37 pm

My son's hair gets that color sometimes, i love it!

Welcome AIDEN! Timmy and I are glad you can make it! He would love to one day play games with you! Hope you like cars! ;-)
Missy
Missy

Number of posts : 2031
Honeycomb : Level 6- The Abyss
Registration date : 2008-04-25

http://www.cafemom.com/home/missmissy

Back to top Go down

Post by tara Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:39 pm

Welcome Aidan.
Rikostan- what a cutie! I am jealous. I always hoped for red headed kids. I love red hair.
tara
tara

Number of posts : 6833

http://www.mythirtyone.com/taras/

Back to top Go down

Post by cheyandwysmom Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:17 pm

You guys are the greatest! I just stopped in for a quick check on things earlier and didn't notice this thread - as soon as I did tonight I ran to get him! He couldn't believe this was ALL FOR HIM! Welcome to Aiden (cheyandwysmom's nephew) 820607 He asked if everybody is really nice, and I was sure to tell him that all of you are very nice people who are hoping he's having fun at Auntie Chelle's house. (I get to be a Chelle too, just for him!) He said to say HI!

On a related note, before I head off to bed, I'm hoping for suggestions. He has a range of emotional issues that we're having to discover as they come up (unfortunately, children that have been through what he has don't come with handbooks). The most recent one has been bathtime. He has an utter meltdown - sobbing hysterically, curling into the fetal position, unintelligible words, etc at the prospect. I have somewhat gotten around the issue by offering to let him wear his swim trunks, stand in the tub, and I use a cup to pour water over his shoulders, but he won't let his head get wet at all without breaking down. I have thought about the sprinkler outside with shampoo, but I'm in WI - it's not warm enough for that yet, and I'm all out of ideas. Any ideas you all might have would be greatly appreciated!
cheyandwysmom
cheyandwysmom
Queen Bee
Queen Bee

Number of posts : 210
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by thebigscott Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:04 pm

Michelle, it may be a behavioral issue, but it also may be a sensory issue... meaning it feels overwhelming for him in a way that it doesn't for others. My husband Scott has a few things (mostly sounds such as the creasing of paper) that to him are like fingernails on a chalk board, but to most people are nothing. He has learned to deal with them, but they bother him a lot more when he's under stress. I would talk with him some evening in bed, and tell him that you know he doesn't like the water, but you don't know what he doesn't like about it. See if he can describe what he doesn't like. Tell him he will need to get clean, but that you can work with him to find a way that's not scary. Ask him if he wants to try washing his hair in the kitchen sink standing on a chair so he can be fully clothed. Or if he wants to wash it with a wash cloth instead of pouring the water on him. Or if there is a toy (even a stuffed animal) that he could hold that would make it less scary. Let him have as much choice in the matter as he can. And instead of washing him daily, do it every other day and put baby powder in his hair if it gets oily in between.
thebigscott
thebigscott

Back to top Go down

Post by cheyandwysmom Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:12 pm

That's a very good point, Karen. We had quiet time tonight together before bed, just reading stories and talking about our day, but I didn't approach the subject with him just yet. I really want him to feel safe here and know that he can trust me to make sure he's ok. I just don't want to break that trust by making him do something that is obviously so distressing for him. We'll give your ideas a shot - I'm grateful for the suggestions!
cheyandwysmom
cheyandwysmom
Queen Bee
Queen Bee

Back to top Go down

Post by thebigscott Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:30 pm

It sounds like you're doing exactly what he needs... giving him time. I'm glad he's got someone like you to help him through this.
thebigscott
thebigscott

Back to top Go down

Post by chjoed Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:44 am

Such a cutie! Welcome!
chjoed
chjoed
Worker Bee
Worker Bee

Number of posts : 122
Honeycomb : Social Bee Level 5
Registration date : 2008-03-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Scar Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:29 am

Offer to get in the shower (instead of bath) with him.
I know it's PITA but maybe that will help
Walk him thru it step by step.
Do a silly song like..this is the way we wash our knees..etc...
If he starts getting overwhelmed get out -- towel off and be grateful that at least you got that far.

The main thing is to deal with him calmly, assertively and lovingly.
This can recover, I know from personal expeirence.

(rikostan---THAT is one cute kid!)
Scar
Scar

Back to top Go down

Post by KellyM Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:11 am

Karen and Scarlett had some good ideas. I was thinking that maybe if you got a little plastic kiddie pool, or little inflatable pool, it may be more fun if he doesn't realize he's taking a bath. A little pool toy to play with while he's in there. This way you could use it inside if it's a small one. I agree with the wash cloth idea for washing the hair like Karen suggested. He's a little fella so he doesn't have a ton of hair to wash. Good luck and tell him I said "Hi" and give him a squeeze.
KellyM
KellyM

Number of posts : 2887
Registration date : 2008-05-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Scar Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:48 am

Michelle --How is everyone doing?
Scar
Scar

Back to top Go down

Post by Scar Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:21 pm

bump...I just saw your flood post affraid
Scar
Scar

Back to top Go down

Post by cheyandwysmom Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:03 pm

On the Aidan front - he's doing fairly well, with the exception of hating the rules at Aunt Chelle's house! He didn't have a lot of structure there - it was basically "do what I want till mom completely loses it, then get an extremely bad spanking, and be punished until Mom lost interest, then back to doing whatever I want."

Needless to say, we're a whole lot more consistent here, and are attempting to cut the bad behaviors off at the pass - it's working, but taking a little time. It just breaks my heart because I know somewhere in there is a little boy with so much joy and love to share - he just has to learn that it's ok to let it out....but he's got an aunt who loves him tons, so we'll find it yet!
cheyandwysmom
cheyandwysmom
Queen Bee
Queen Bee

Back to top Go down

Post by kath Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:27 pm

you are doing a brave and wonderful thing... love will win out.. and consistancy

hang in there ...
kath
kath

Number of posts : 1338

http://mckaitsbooks.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down