Unofficial Bzz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why do you buy?

+3
kleenaechs
agaphmou
Tanya32834
7 posters

Go down

Why do you buy? Empty Why do you buy?

Post by Tanya32834 Tue May 01, 2012 2:25 pm

I'm curious.

Do you buy one brand of something verses another brand because of the company's charity work or contributions, regardless if the cost is a bit more?

Here's why I'm asking. My friend and I were grocery shopping the other evening and I bought Dawn dishwashing liquid. He picked up the (on sale) Palmolive dish soap to purchase and asked me why I buy Dawn. He wanted to know if Dawn was better. After thinking about it, to me, there really isn't much difference in the two products, it's just that the Dawn people (whoever that is< Lever Bros. maybe?) contribute money and resources to wildlife projects and protection. I'm a big believer in protecting wildlife, so I figure if I buy their product, I can help them help wildlife.

Same visit, I buy Pedigree dog food for my dogs. Same deal, I'm sure there are other dog foods out there that my guys would eat, and be just fine, but I buy Pedigree because they contribute a lot of money and resources to animal shelters. All of my dogs are from animal shelters so I support Pedigree in some degree to help them help the animals.

I know there are other item/brands I buy just because of their charity work, I just wonder if I'm one of the few who do this or is this pretty common?

If it's pretty common, wouldn't you think a company would really benefit by touting the fact that they support certain charities?

Are there products you buy because of their charity work even if the item costs more then it's competitor?

Wow! I didn't realize I just wrote a book. Very Happy If this topic needs to be moved, I'm cool with that. I really am just curious. flower

Tanya

Tanya32834
Bzzing
Bzzing

Number of posts : 73
Honeycomb : Level 6
Registration date : 2008-11-25

Back to top Go down

Why do you buy? Empty Re: Why do you buy?

Post by agaphmou Tue May 01, 2012 2:48 pm

Well,I really don't know about which causes companies support,so I go by my perceived product quality and its value.I also avoid as much as possible companies that have shown to do wrong in my eyes like B.P.,I'll never buy a Toyota again,I'll never buy Starbucks again after learning they used carmine in their Strawberry drinks and sweets(even though I never had them myself),and so on.I also buy Pedigree for my dogs ,just because they like it Razz
agaphmou
agaphmou
Really Not Getting Much Done Around the House

Number of posts : 4523
Honeycomb :

Registration date : 2009-04-29

Back to top Go down

Post by kleenaechs Tue May 01, 2012 4:33 pm

I may be kind of cynical but I think companies should do that kind of stuff and not use it as a main point of advertising.
I do not buy Dawn because of the wildlife thing because Dawn is made from oil and is part of the problem to begin with, in my book. I think it is better to use plant based cleaners than help clean animals harmed by the very oil the product is sourced from. Pedigree I do buy sometimes, but I think companies like Halo or Nutrish are doing more to help animals.
I do buy Tom's Shoes because of their donation policy. I do not buy Sketchers Bob's because they directly copied Tom's and do it to get business (in my opinion) not just to help people.
I love a company that wants to help because it is the right thing to do, but not so much when I perceive them as doing it to for the sake of making more money.

kleenaechs
In Need of a 12 Step Program

Number of posts : 641
Registration date : 2009-05-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Lori Tue May 01, 2012 4:59 pm

Yeah, when I see a company that says they'll make a donation for each purchase "up to $50,000" or some such I put it back on the shelf. As if they wouldn't normally sell 50,000 units anyhow. Just make the donation if you care for the cause. I'm cynical, too. The older I get the more attitude I have.
Lori
Lori

Number of posts : 8682
Honeycomb : Sweet Bee, Level 6
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by kleenaechs Tue May 01, 2012 5:17 pm

Lori wrote:Yeah, when I see a company that says they'll make a donation for each purchase "up to $50,000" or some such I put it back on the shelf. As if they wouldn't normally sell 50,000 units anyhow. Just make the donation if you care for the cause. I'm cynical, too. The older I get the more attitude I have.
Ditto!

kleenaechs

Number of posts : 641
Registration date : 2009-05-21

Back to top Go down

Post by trax Tue May 01, 2012 5:23 pm

Ditto Ditto
trax
trax

Number of posts : 1470
Honeycomb : In Hold Mode - Level 6
Registration date : 2008-04-04

Back to top Go down

Post by 2BzzOrNot2Bzz Tue May 01, 2012 6:20 pm

I don't buy because they donate...I also don't put much stock in places that do charitable events against my beliefs. It's their choice to do what they want as I have a choice not to buy or visit those places.

Anyhoo... with that said...I'm a mom on the broke side now so I tend to buy things on sale that are good quality, environmentally conscious, and safe for kids (as in no to little toxins).

2BzzOrNot2Bzz

Number of posts : 567
Honeycomb : Doomed in Level 6...
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post by edbson Tue May 01, 2012 6:45 pm

I buy things because they are 1) better, 2) the company reputation, 3) contributions. 4) sale price5) where it is manufactured.
I use Severnth generation, because they donate TONS to wildlife. When the Deep Horizon blew up they sent truckloads of SG dish liquid to clean wildlife, free of charge. It is also safer, and better for the environment.
I feed my Dogs Innova, Because it is better for them, and they don't use ingredients from china, it is not cheaper, but it is made in the US.

I do sales also, but I am picky about what i will buy on sale.
edbson
edbson

Number of posts : 5916
Honeycomb : Level 6~ the abyss,
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Tanya32834 Wed May 02, 2012 8:59 am

Interesting. Thank you for replying. Like I said, I was just curious. I guess I've never really paid attention to WHY I buy something before, it's never really mattered. It's just one of those things.

Tanya

Tanya32834
Bzzing
Bzzing

Number of posts : 73
Honeycomb : Level 6
Registration date : 2008-11-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum