Unofficial Bzz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Born to Run

2 posters

Go down

Born to Run Empty Born to Run

Post by Lori Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:57 pm

I've been doing a lot of car travel and have been listening to a lot of public radio. Since I heard the author of this book, Christopher McDougall, interviewed on the Bob Edwards Show on PRI, I have not been able to get this out of my mind. Here's the link for the book on Amazon.com (although I'll most likely order from Overstock.com to score lots of MyPoints).

The fll title is Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen

The author traveled to South America to seek out a hidden tribe who run for fun. They run every day for great distances, in bare feet, over mountainous terrain. They run in groups, or teams, with every member running the entire race of sometimes a hundred miles or more. The children play a running game at recess every day where they all run together over a 6 mile route. The author describes seeing them run as looking like they're flying, not because they run so fast, but because they run in a sort of controlled forward fall that effortlessly propels them forward. I am not a runner, but I cannot wait to read this book!
And if you've never heard The Bob Edwards Show, it is worth finding. I listen on XM 133.

http://www.amazon.com/Born-Run-Hidden-Superathletes-Greatest/dp/0307266303/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1244310142&sr=8-1
Lori
Lori

Number of posts : 8682
Honeycomb : Sweet Bee, Level 6
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Born to Run Empty Re: Born to Run

Post by Lucky Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:40 pm

Weird, I remember maybe 5 years ago seeing a documentary on this tribe. They were all very swift and smooth, and didn't seem to ever get winded they ran so much.
Lucky
Lucky
Really Not Getting Much Done Around the House
Really Not Getting Much Done Around the House

Number of posts : 1488
Honeycomb : 6 infinity
Registration date : 2008-05-03

Back to top Go down