Unofficial Bzz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My new computer... IF I do it right.

+7
tara
WhtTigress
edbson
Honey
chelle
BuzzNut
thebigscott
11 posters

Go down

My new computer... IF I do it right. Empty My new computer... IF I do it right.

Post by thebigscott Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:07 pm

About a week and a half ago our computer started dying. It was making noises, freezing up, coughing and wheezing and begging for a priest. Anyhow, we went computer shopping and really couldn't find anything we liked. We don't want a laptop because we know ourselves well enough to know that we'd leave it where the kids could reach it, or even worse leave it on the floor and walk on it. But the only place that sells desktops around here is Wal-mart, and only packaged with the monitor, speakers, keyboards. All of that is just fine. Monitors are too expensive to just toss a perfectly good one. So we decided to shop online. And we decided we want something that will last us a while. Our older kids game on the computer some, and would more if we had a better system. And they're also starting to really want to download videos and music. Scott and I both take tons of pics, do a lot of our shopping online, etc. We want something that can do a lot. So over the weekend Scott bought the latest issue of computer shopper, wherein they give step by step directions for building your own computer from scratch, including which parts to order. I ordered the parts today. And yes, I will have to put all the guts in it and load all the software. It's a little scary but I have teens in the house. Teens breathe geek, don't they?

This is what we're getting. Except for the case. I found this case. I just couldn't resist it when I realized it was only $4 more than the plain black one.

Anyhow, I spent almost $590 after shipping, but I get $40 back in rebates. The only thing I'm not absolutely sure about is that I ordered Vista. I've heard some bad stuff about it, but I worry that they'll quit offering support for XP soon. I'm not gonna open it when it comes until the last minute so that I can exchange it if I change my mind.
thebigscott
thebigscott
Really Not Getting Much Done Around the House

Number of posts : 9214
Honeycomb : Level 6 ~ Sweet Bee
Registration date : 2008-03-10

http://messierobjects.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

My new computer... IF I do it right. Empty Re: My new computer... IF I do it right.

Post by BuzzNut Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:35 pm

You have nerve woman. Good Luck.
I am not sure I would attempt that myself. I get aggitated easy if it doesn't go the way it is suppose to.
BuzzNut
BuzzNut

Number of posts : 1737
Honeycomb : Level 6 ....the endless doom
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

My new computer... IF I do it right. Empty Re: My new computer... IF I do it right.

Post by thebigscott Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:42 pm

There are step by step directions with pictures. If I ordered everything correctly (crossing my fingers) I shouldn't have problems. And it'll be a kickin' machine for only a few hundred more than what I could have got at Wal-mart. But I am definitely nervous.
thebigscott
thebigscott

Back to top Go down

Post by chelle Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:17 am

Congrats!!

Its not hard. I have never built one from scratch, but I have installed scsi cards, memory, usb ports and other things, Plus taken a vaccum to the inside.

Do you know that if you open your computer you can build a new dog or at least a very large squirrel from the hair and nasty crap collected in there?
chelle
chelle

Number of posts : 6471
Honeycomb : the abyss with keys that dont fit any locks

http://aretheyalseepyet.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by thebigscott Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:20 am

Ewww!
thebigscott
thebigscott

Back to top Go down

Post by BuzzNut Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:14 am

chelle wrote:Plus taken a vaccum to the inside.
I really have thought of doing this.
BuzzNut
BuzzNut

Number of posts : 1737
Honeycomb : Level 6 ....the endless doom
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Honey Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:09 am

Good luck Karen. I am a bit confused though, why didn't you just order a tower with the stuff already installed? Wouldn't that be cheaper and easier? Before we switched to Macs, we replaced just the tower on our pc once. Like you said, the monitor was good so why replace that?
Honey
Honey

Number of posts : 1859
Honeycomb : 5
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by edbson Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:21 am

Vista is not that bad, and you can make it look like XP. I did not like Vista at first, but am getting used to it,and now prefer it.

Put a little piece of panty hose over the CPU fan intake, blocks alot of that crap....

I like that case.
I miss my Desktop, bought a lappie after the storm, and it just isnt all that.
edbson
edbson

Number of posts : 5916
Honeycomb : Level 6~ the abyss,
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post by WhtTigress Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:45 am

I've been building PCs since I was 15, so if you need any help let me know. It's a whole lot easier than it used to be, I'm sure everything will go fine. Smile
WhtTigress
WhtTigress
Worker Bee
Worker Bee

Number of posts : 105
Honeycomb : Level 6 - Sweet Bee
Registration date : 2008-05-30

Back to top Go down

Post by tara Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:08 am

Hubby does it for a hobby Karen, we have several he built. It's not hard, well for him... I have ZERO interest on what's inside- I just want it to work. I think Vista sucks.... but I thought XP sucked as well. I want a Mac but wallet can't afford it.
tara
tara

Number of posts : 6833

http://www.mythirtyone.com/taras/

Back to top Go down

Post by Honey Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:17 am

I only paid $100 for my Mac desktop quite a few years ago. Got it used, but it was upgraded with a newer os. The good thing about Macs is that they do not get those nasty virus issues. So in the long run it has saved me money. It is getting too old now, as it doesn't work exactly right on all web sites now (Bzz is one of them). I bought my laptop from a friend who needed the money. I paid $850, but it is a top of line MacBook Pro, so worth much much more. I don't like the lap top as well as the desk top though. I don't really like the finger pad thingy, but am used to it now.
Honey
Honey

Number of posts : 1859
Honeycomb : 5
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by thebigscott Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:50 am

Honey wrote:Good luck Karen. I am a bit confused though, why didn't you just order a tower with the stuff already installed? Wouldn't that be cheaper and easier? Before we switched to Macs, we replaced just the tower on our pc once. Like you said, the monitor was good so why replace that?

I can afford a better system if I order parts and put them together myself, mostly because I can pick and choose the features I want and leave off the stuff I don't need. Like how I wanted a bigger drive than standard, but I didn't want to go all out and build a monster gaming system. Well, I did kind of want to, but I didn't want to spend extra money on it, LOL. I didn't mind spending a fair amount of money because except for Quinn we all use the computer daily. We don't have a wii or any other gaming console. The kids do that on the computer. Plus I think Zaven and Caly will get a real kick out of building it with me.

WhtTigress wrote:I've been building PCs since I was 15, so if you need any help let me know. It's a whole lot easier than it used to be, I'm sure everything will go fine. Smile

Thank you! It's nice to know someone's got my back on this. I hope I won't have to take you up on that, though. Wink
thebigscott
thebigscott

Back to top Go down

Post by Rebecca1340 Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:25 pm

Good luck! Dh builds computers for a living so I've never attempted it myself -- I just get him to do it when I need a new one or need a new part installed. It is definately better to build your own and have exactly what you want and it will save you money too.
Rebecca1340
Rebecca1340
Admin

Number of posts : 6118
Honeycomb : Slowly sinking deeper into the Abyss

http://bzzz.heavenforum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kate2456 Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:13 pm

Good Luck,I have been thinking about doing this but not sure how it would end up. I have a good monitor as well so I am in the same boat. Let me know how it turns out.

Kate2456
Queen Bee
Queen Bee

Number of posts : 268
Registration date : 2008-04-22

Back to top Go down

Post by thebigscott Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:46 pm

Things finally calmed down enough that I started assembly today. I got the power unit installed and then started on the motherboard. Started, because Zoe stole my directions. Sigh. I'll have to get them online.
thebigscott
thebigscott

Back to top Go down

Post by thebigscott Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:57 am

OK, I found the directions. I've got it all assembled but I'm not plugging it in until tomorrow or maybe even tomorrow night. I know that if it doesn't work right, I'll want to tear into it to figure out what's wrong, but I am too tired to stay up and fix it tonight. And I need to be sure that Quinn and Zoe are out of my hair if I have to open it back up. My nerves would not take them assisting me. So I'm going to wait until I know I have the time and space to make repairs before I try plugging it in and seeing if it works. It SHOULD work... but things don't always do what they should, LOL.
thebigscott
thebigscott

Back to top Go down

Post by Bunky64 Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:54 am

Good Luck. I have done a lot with computers but have never attempted to build one. We have both xp and vista both have their quirks.

Bunky64
Larva
Larva

Number of posts : 12
Honeycomb : Level 5
Registration date : 2009-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Nyssa Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:50 pm

Karen, I'd be interested in a specs list of what you got, especially the motherboard and CPU.

I built the computer I'm using now, but it's really showing its age and it's got an older type of power supply with the "wrong" type of connection for the newer motherboards. That means I'll have to gut the tower if I want to re-use it and put in a newer power supply.

As for the XP vs Vista argument, I have neither. I'm a Linux geekette and much prefer the choices and control I have over the system instead of selling my soul to MicroSloth. And no viruses (virii?).

Nyssa
In Need of a 12 Step Program
In Need of a 12 Step Program

Number of posts : 525
Honeycomb : Just entering the Black Hole
Registration date : 2008-06-17

http://nyssa.cnc.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum