Unofficial Bzz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What should I do

+3
Lori
BuzzNut
tara
7 posters

Go down

What should I do Empty What should I do

Post by tara Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:02 pm

As some of you may remember I was babysitting last summer for the biggest airhead in the world... this chick would leave her kid for days on end without so much as phone call, after saying she would be back in a few hours. Anyway she owes me $318

I have been MORE than patient, she has owed me this since June and promised to pay with her tax return. Well I have little doubt she has gotten her tax return and wont so much as return my calls. So I left her a message I was filing with smal claims court if I don't hear from her WITH money by Monday.

Hubby says don't do it. He thinks a large portion of our friends will hate us (many are related to her in one form or another (dad, aunt, cousins etc) They all know how she is, several have commented that I wont see the money short of suing her. I know it's only 300 bucks but damn it I EARNED that 300 bucks at 2 bucks an hour. He seems to think that if I take her to court no one will speak to us again.

I think I have more than gone out of my way to help her, I drove her around for interviews and work for months while she had no car, I gave her food and and clothed her kid- I don't want repayment for that... just the money that she agreed to pay for babysitting. I think I have been way more than patient but it is quickly running out. I think if any of them would be that upset by it... they should loan her the money to pay me, and then they can go without, lol. Not a one would do that because they know how she is... only they didn't bother to tell me that until after the fact.

I don't really know how small claims court works... even if I got nothing at least I would have done SOMETHING other than just say gee it's okay you ripped me off. I really don't want to. I am afraid of how it will end for her, I keep good notes, she has a an open CPS case on her, and a custody battle now that the dad is out of jail (yup he's a real winner too) and wonder how it is going to affect her when they find out she was claiming to pay me WAY more than she was (I just found that out) for her reduced rent and collecting child care credit for me (and I WILL no questions asked sing as loud as I can if for some reason the IRS comes after me for not claiming the money I did not get)... for money I never got. Not to mention when I have to say the dates in question and they ask well why did you have him day and night for 4 days at a time? What can I say other than it was keep him or call the cops because she was didn't even bother to call? She isn't a bad mom- just a really young stupid one. Chelle may pick on herself but this blond girl IS the poster child for all the blond jokes.

So do I let it go? Do I attempt to get my money? Anyone ever been to small claims court, think it's worth the time?
tara
tara

Number of posts : 6833
Registration date : 2008-03-10

http://www.mythirtyone.com/taras/

Back to top Go down

What should I do Empty Re: What should I do

Post by BuzzNut Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:18 pm

You have alot more patience than I. I would have already taken her to court, friends or no friends. It sounds like she hasn't cared to use you. If they are true friends, I wouldn't think this would effect your relationship.
I feel sorry for the child though, doesn't sound like a good situation.
BuzzNut
BuzzNut
Really Not Getting Much Done Around the House

Number of posts : 1737
Honeycomb : Level 6 ....the endless doom
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by tara Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:21 pm

That is kinda my thought buzznut, I seriously doubt our friends would care.... even her own father and if they were really that upset than I feel good riddance... particularly to the ones that only call or come around when they want something, which describes half of them.
tara
tara

Back to top Go down

Post by Lori Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:23 pm

I think with small claims she may also be responsible for court fees, too. Maybe she'll pay up with just the threat hanging over her.
Lori
Lori

Number of posts : 8682
Honeycomb : Sweet Bee, Level 6
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by tegansmom Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:32 pm

Wow Tara. Sounds like something I would get myself into. I would probably say drop it. My husband has some experience with the courts and he would say that even if you go to small claims court, you probably won't see much of the money. Plus, it would take your time to do this. So, my hubby would say, " How much is your time worth?" (He tells me this all the time!) I would agree with him in this situation though. I think I would refuse to help her anymore until she pays you. It's her problem to find child care, and you are being extremely patient. Anyone else in this situation will not be, and they will refuse to take the child unless she pays. I know that the child is something to worry about, but unless you plan on taking on the added responsibility of taking care of the child, then you shouldn't feel guilty of that. It's her responsiblity and she needs to see that. You would be doing her and her child a favor.

Just FYI, I've been in a somewhat similar situation, and decided that I just can't expend all my time to take care of someone elses child.

Hope that doesn't sound cold. I've just come to realize I can't do everything for everyone. My focus should by me and my family.
tegansmom
tegansmom
In Need of a 12 Step Program
In Need of a 12 Step Program

Number of posts : 834
Registration date : 2008-03-21

Back to top Go down

Post by chelle Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:56 pm

I am a vindictive bitch.
I would do it. If she is willing to leave her child with YOU, then who else is she willing to leave her child with?

And seriously, its not like you will be taking time off work, or traveling out of state.

If you win, you win, you might not see the money, BUT you will also be covering YOUR ass if she gets all caught up in the CPS and tax fraud thing.

One in 13 people get audited is what I have heard. and all it takes is ONE of those relatives getting mad at her because she dropped off the kid, didnt pick him up and they missed a big event and they might turn her in.

Tax/welfare cheats (poor folks who wont be able to get a high priced lawyer to get the price back down like the rich folks can) are the ones who get caught most often.
chelle
chelle

Number of posts : 6471
Honeycomb : the abyss with keys that dont fit any locks

http://aretheyalseepyet.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by tara Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:13 pm

I'm vindictive too Chelle, and I do have all the time in the world. The relatives are all far to easy on her, she has stolen their cars, left him for days on end and they do nothing but shrug. I took the kid... mostly out fear of where he would end up if I didn't. I went to pick him up one day and found him (she lived in rent controlled community- not that they ae all bad people, but mostly drug dealers and thugs) strapped in his car seat sitting on the front step alone. She said they were smoking pot in the house and didn't want him in there (umm I wont even go there) and said well everyone here already has kids, they wont steal mine. I only continued to watch him because they was the only way I was gonna see any of the money,

and granted she paid after that and 80 dollars towards her balance. I haven't seen a cent since I said no more towards the last 318

I can say other than the child care and housing welfare fraud isn't an issue. She didn't get it- she certainly qualified but couldn't be bothered to fill out the paperwork for food stamps or medicaid(which she SHOULD to feed the child) or even child support. She was living in a an apartment with no power for months before winter came and she had to move back home to her mom. So it's not like she was struggling to pay her bills with what little money she did earn- she just didn't pay anything at all. She did have jobs and I am guessing it all went to drugs, booze or one of her loser boyfriends.

I left her a message that if she didn't call me back- I would be filing. I think I am going to call her sister later and talk to her (she is the only one who doesn't enable her) and let her know that I will be filing, and probably calling the housing dept and child care services if I don;t get my cash. She will tell me to do it but will also tell their mom and most likely their mom will pay me. I don't want to do it that way, it's not her responsibility but I want my damn money.
tara
tara

Back to top Go down

Post by thebigscott Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:33 pm

Tara, it sounds like her son needs to be taken. I don't say that casually. He's in danger with her.

As to the money. If it makes you feel better to take her to court, take her to court. If it doesn't, don't. The main thing you'll get out of this is the knowledge that you stood up for yourself. To me, it would be worth it. I'd sue. But I understand that for some it's too much stress.
thebigscott
thebigscott

Number of posts : 9214
Honeycomb : Level 6 ~ Sweet Bee

http://messierobjects.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Honey Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:43 pm

I would drop it. It could be way more trouble than it is worth.Small claims court doesn't mean you get your money, even if you win. They can't make her pay, you can only keep going back to court over and over and she may never give up the money.
She may deserve to lose her kid too, but the foster care system is worse. I personally know a lady whose baby was taken after a false call. Sure you think it is false you will get your kid back, not always. He has been adopted, but before he got into a good home, his leg was broken twice for crying too much. Mind you this was a 6month old baby who was crying because they took him from everyone he knew. His leg was broken and he was returned to the same home where they did it again. The mom had her parental rights revoked and the reason in the court papers actually was she didn't pay the state child support and failed to bond with the baby. She saw him every time she was allowed without fail and refused to pay the child support because they stole her baby.
I have been shit on by several people lately, and I vwery much know how you fell. I did so much for each one that shit on me, it is killing me. One caused me to lose my job and has said I stole from her, she is telling ev ryone who will listen. She did this after offering me money I refused, and after I saved her son from killing himself. I could go on and on, but my point is she is scum and she will get hers sooner or later but it need not involve you. Your hubby may well be right that it could be lots of trouble for you and your family. What should I do 820607
Honey
Honey

Number of posts : 1859
Honeycomb : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by Honey Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:47 pm

I forgot that I also know a teen who just aged out of the foster care system. Her story is a total nightmare. I wouldn't even want to tell you everything that she went through Crying or Very sad
Honey
Honey

Number of posts : 1859
Honeycomb : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down