Unofficial Bzz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kentucky Derby

+4
Scarlett
thebigscott
kath
bizzeedee
8 posters

Go down

Kentucky Derby Empty Kentucky Derby

Post by bizzeedee Fri May 02, 2008 7:55 pm

Hope you're all watching an American Tradition tomorrow.

My pick? Eight Belles. She's a pretty little filly who is going to be racing against 19 colts. Should she win, she'd be I think the 4th filly to win the Derby...

Remember, wear your hat, stand when My Old Kentucky Home is sang, make sure you have a mint julep in hand, and cheer my pick on! (or your own, if you have one) cheers
bizzeedee
bizzeedee
Really Not Getting Much Done Around the House

Number of posts : 4243
Honeycomb : Sweet Bee ~ Level 6 ~
Registration date : 2008-03-10

Back to top Go down

Kentucky Derby Empty Re: Kentucky Derby

Post by kath Sat May 03, 2008 5:22 am

bizzeedee wrote:Hope you're all watching an American Tradition tomorrow.

My pick? Eight Belles. She's a pretty little filly who is going to be racing against 19 colts. Should she win, she'd be I think the 4th filly to win the Derby...

Remember, wear your hat, stand when My Old Kentucky Home is sang, make sure you have a mint julep in hand, and cheer my pick on! (or your own, if you have one) cheers

I used to watch.. used to wait for the day ! Read about the horses... etc

note lately.. but a mint julep sounds pretty darn good
kath
kath

Number of posts : 1338

http://mckaitsbooks.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by thebigscott Sat May 03, 2008 11:44 am

We always watch. But I only pick my horse as their leading them into the gate.
thebigscott
thebigscott

Number of posts : 9214
Honeycomb : Level 6 ~ Sweet Bee

http://messierobjects.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by thebigscott Sat May 03, 2008 6:32 pm

I feel so sad for Eight Belles Sad

For those of you who didn't watch, she came in second, but collapsed moments after the race ended. It turns out that she broke both her front ankles. Since this is an injury horses that horses almost never recover from, and is extremely painful, they euthenized her within moments of the race ending. Sad
thebigscott
thebigscott

Back to top Go down

Post by kath Sat May 03, 2008 7:12 pm

Dear goddess....I am so sorry to hear that... what a dreadful thing to happen..

Sad
kath
kath

Number of posts : 1338

http://mckaitsbooks.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by thebigscott Sat May 03, 2008 7:21 pm

It was so upsetting to see her lying on the track before the equine ambulance sheilded her from view. And the winner's jockey and owner and their families were being shown laughing and hugging and jumping up and down, completely unaware of what was happening across the track. Very, very sad.
thebigscott
thebigscott

Back to top Go down

Post by bizzeedee Sat May 03, 2008 7:39 pm

I actually missed the race, and so glad I did... I would have been bawling, as it is, I feel awful about her. We went to O'Charley's for supper and I noticed in the bar, the race was being shown (re-run) and I talked with another couple who told me Eight Belles came in 2nd but had to be put down. It just doesn't get any sadder than that. Crying or Very sad
bizzeedee
bizzeedee

Back to top Go down

Post by Scarlett Sat May 03, 2008 11:57 pm

I read this online. It about ripped my heart out... so very heartbreaking. I'm so glad now I didn't watch it.. so so sad.
Scarlett
Scarlett
In Need of a 12 Step Program
In Need of a 12 Step Program

Number of posts : 882
Registration date : 2008-03-20

Back to top Go down

Post by razorstar Sun May 04, 2008 12:27 pm

that kicks all of us Kentuckians right in the heart... especially since this is what our state is known for. (the derby)
razorstar
razorstar
Worker Bee
Worker Bee

Number of posts : 137
Honeycomb : going nowhere fast
Registration date : 2008-04-02

Back to top Go down

Post by chelle Sun May 04, 2008 6:47 pm

I had JUST put on my make up to go to the banquet. BR called me in to watch the race. ( I used to own a race horse and grew up with them, so I always get goosebumps when I watch, and I love to watch)

Anyway, I had just got on my make up, came in here adn sat down to watch. We watched it, rewound it a few times to watch the horse that placed come from behind and then watched the commentation of the winners circle. When we saw what happened I cried and Cried. I can still remember the first time I saw it happen at a track when I was little. It was heartbreaking that day and still is to this day.
chelle
chelle

Number of posts : 6471
Honeycomb : the abyss with keys that dont fit any locks

http://aretheyalseepyet.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by bizzeedee Sun May 04, 2008 7:01 pm

chelle wrote:I had JUST put on my make up to go to the banquet. BR called me in to watch the race. ( I used to own a race horse and grew up with them, so I always get goosebumps when I watch, and I love to watch)

Anyway, I had just got on my make up, came in here adn sat down to watch. We watched it, rewound it a few times to watch the horse that placed come from behind and then watched the commentation of the winners circle. When we saw what happened I cried and Cried. I can still remember the first time I saw it happen at a track when I was little. It was heartbreaking that day and still is to this day.

I've always been a horse lover, no, never owned one. But for years, I had a dream. When I was little, I always had short, short hair (Dad cut it Exclamation ). I had no pets. I always said that when I turned 21 that I was going to move to TX, grow my hair long, and own a horse. Well 1 of 3 of those dreams came true. But have always had a love for horses... I met a friend in `1998, on the net, in a quit smoking room. She had one horse at the time. We talked a lot about horses. Since then, she's gone full circle, has a wonderful Stallion, several brood mares, lots of babies at this time, which she sells. Until recently. In WI (as I'm sure in other places) the horse market has fallen... people consider having a horse a luxury, meaning the morgage and food come first... so like everyone else, she is downsizing her stock. It breaks my heart. I've seen so many babies born, and being sold, which I understand is the business, but now she's starting to sell her mares (a couple of which I met when I visited her a few years back). I've been there for her when her horses have died or have had to be put down, and we'd cry together. In fact, I have 3 bushes planted in my front garden area in honor of 3 of those.

Sorry to go on and on... but I just love horses. Heck, when she came down a couple of years ago, she and I treked off to Lexington and visited Smarty Jones at his farm (Three Chimneys ?).... so beautiful.

So every year, I cry when watching the Kentucky derby... just because those animals are giving it their all, doing what they've learned, looking so beautiful, graceful... and then to have something happen like yesterday.

Well, as I said in an earlier post, I'm glad I didn't see the race. I too Chelle would have been bawling... not that I haven't shed my share of tears since hearing about Eight Belles.
bizzeedee
bizzeedee

Back to top Go down

Post by chelle Sun May 04, 2008 8:01 pm

Smile ((hug))

Kentucky Derby Chellegaucho
chelle
chelle

Back to top Go down

Post by bizzeedee Sun May 04, 2008 8:08 pm

chelle wrote:Smile ((hug))

Kentucky Derby Chellegaucho

is that you with the long hair? if so, then you're living my childhood dream Kentucky Derby 765670
bizzeedee
bizzeedee

Back to top Go down

Post by chelle Sun May 04, 2008 8:14 pm

LOL, yes it is. Smile that was taken about 5 years ago. I still have that horse. Guacho Pein. I dont know what it means. LOL but he is a great kids horse. He is a mustang.

The day we got him I was leading the boys ( I have pics somwhere. ) they were like 3 and 4. I was leading them around and the dang horse stopped. I tugged and tugged. he wouldnt move. My dad and BR were laughing and I was looking at them. I was cussin the horse. we had just rounded him up out of a mesquite thicket he had ran wild in for about 2 years. So I thought he was just being hard headed.

Finally I looked behind me. Brett had fallen off and was pulling on his tail to climb back up. The guys were laughin their fool heads off cause I was pullin and tuggin and the horse KNEW a kid had fallen off and wouldnt go anywhere.

He doesnt like men, I am the only one that can catch him. (we had fun after the huricanne, but thats another story) And I can lead him around with no lead rope or anything. I even ride him bareback with a halter and leadrope. No bit, nothin. I dont ride much anymore. But they are here for me to look at, feed, and give shots to. LOL
chelle
chelle

Back to top Go down

Post by thebigscott Sun May 04, 2008 8:18 pm

He's beautiful. I have cats and dogs (and the occasional possum, LOL) but not horses. But a friend of ours is renting a section of the farm to graze his miniature horses and miniature donkeys on. So I get the benefits (they're so pretty and they let the girls pet them) and none of the work.
thebigscott
thebigscott

Back to top Go down

Post by cheyandwysmom Sun May 04, 2008 10:51 pm

I grew up swearing that one day I would have horses too. I have always loved them, but it just was never an option growing up. Luckily, I met my husband when I was 21, and one of the things I loved about him was how great he was with the horses he had - I swear he understands what they are saying! I've since married him - my very own horse whisperer! We have 5 horses now - a stallion, a gelding, and 3 mares. I love them TONS, and I can't imagine my life without horses now.

The Derby was horrifying, and I don't understand why they raced her the way they did. In my opinion (and this may not be a popular one!) fillies have no place racing with the boys. They are just built too differently to compete on a level field. So many beautiful horses have been lost in the last few years this way....it's beyond tragic, and it makes you kind of step back and look at the sport. Or at least it does that for me.
cheyandwysmom
cheyandwysmom
Queen Bee
Queen Bee

Number of posts : 210
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by chelle Sun May 04, 2008 11:07 pm

Thank you karen. He is a north end of a south bound mule.

Right now he is in with a miniature horse. It used to be him, a stud horse and that mini. The stud and the mini would play for hours and hours. The stud was 15 1/2 hands tall and would get on his knees and play fight with the mini. Gaucho was just the 'old fogie' and would watch the idiots play.

The stud was a 2 year old when we got him. and he never knew he was a stud. Too dumb. LOL

But I got rid of him. My grandfather just sold the last of his race horses, they were brood mares, and throurobreds. I can tell you that they are the dumbest horses I have ever seen. LOL The one I had was the only differnt one I have ever seen. I swear she was a quarterhorse. She was not crazy at all.
chelle
chelle

Back to top Go down

Post by Muggins Sun May 04, 2008 11:35 pm

Sorry, but I am so much of the opposite opinion and think horseracing should be banned. I am also extremely opposed to events like the Calgary Stampede and other rodeo events. Far too many of these beautiful animals have had to be euthanized after "performing" at events like these. Remember what Barbaro went through? And for what?

Not looking to open a can of worms here, just stating my long held opinion.
Muggins
Muggins
Queen Bee
Queen Bee

Number of posts : 249
Honeycomb : Level 6
Registration date : 2008-03-30

Back to top Go down

Post by chelle Mon May 05, 2008 12:14 am

ANd I am not being facetious here, but what should we do with horses?

should we ride them? or just put them in pastures and feed them?

Because I have been around horses all my life. I have seen more get hurt and need to be put down in general riding, just pleasure, not rodeo, than I have rodeo or racing. And then I have seen more hurt just in daily life, than in all three combined. belive me, a multimillion dollar horse is treated MUCH better than the fat old brat I have in my pasture. Mine could step in a armadillo hole tommorow and I would have to put him down. some of those are put to bed on foam pads at night. In airconditioned stalls. Mine is out there in everything from 110* heat to huricannes.

Now if we say that we should let them roam free, They BEG people to adopt those horses. They have a VERY short life span. They die from everything from animal attacks, to broken legs ( wth no humane euthinisation) to worms and parasites, and wounds from fights with other horses.

What about dogs? I always wanted a great pyranese for protecting my goats. There is a chance that it would get killed while preforming its duties. Is that okay?

I believe that all animals should be treated with dignatiy and respect. They should be fed, watered, taken care of, given shelter when needed, given freedom when warrented. But I also belive that as stewards of this land we as humans have to decide what is best for them. WIld and domestic alike.
What happened to both of those horses was tragic. And I would LOVE to be able to say that if we banned horse racing it would never happen again. But that is not true.

I grew up farming, I grew up around rodeo and 4H. I have had to personally put down animals that were hurt, sick, and couldnt recover. I never failed to cry. I have seen my grandfather cry when he had to do it. but I also know that I did all I could. I have seen grown men cry when their horse came up lame, and cry when she gave birth to a beautiful colt. But I have also seen the beauty in what they do. The love they have for their owners, and the absolute devotion between handler/owner and worker/performer/companion.

I understand that you dont like it. And I have no problem wiht that. but to call for a banning of something that you dont like, dont participate in or dont want others to have is not fair.

But if just say you got your wish, what would you do with the millions of animals in the 'performing' sector?

I dont have any. But my neighbor does. He has a dozen horses. they have put his two kids through high school and full scholerships to college.

A 75.00 investment and 400.00 of feed netted a 12 year old girl 3500 last month at the fat stock show and rodeo for her college education. But taking all of that away. what do we do with all these animals?

and please dont take this wrong. I am not attacking you. I am just asking questions. I just want to know. I grew up in the middle of it. I understand it all. I am not outside looking in. If I was I might think differntly. but I dont know that.
chelle
chelle

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down