Unofficial Bzz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Plumber problems

+2
vglory
agaphmou
6 posters

Go down

Plumber problems Empty Plumber problems

Post by agaphmou Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:03 pm

Why is it so hard to find a responsible pumber? Like I wrote prviously I've had a tough several days with a flat tire and my tenants plumbing problem.One pipe needs replacing under the kitchen sink and one of the toilets was overflowing so we had to shut the water off,that has to be fixed too.I replaced the flapper so that wasn't it,it's propably the vertical thing that shoots out water.This plumber was supposed to come yesterday bet 4-5,I called him to verify at 4:30.Don't worry honey I'll be there.No-show.Leaves me a message after I collapsed in bed from the stress saying he got stuck at a job and he will be here 4:00 today.Well I was "too busy" to text him back and tell him to kiss my ass.I just got another plumber who is definitely coming,same day between 2-3.I hope the ass really comes so I can tell him that the job is already done.Did I mention that he owes us several hundred dollars in garage rent too? Plumber problems 575339 to him
agaphmou
agaphmou
Really Not Getting Much Done Around the House

Number of posts : 4523
Honeycomb :

Registration date : 2009-04-29

Back to top Go down

Plumber problems Empty Re: Plumber problems

Post by agaphmou Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:58 pm

Update: 1/2 hour after the other plumber fixed the pipe and the overflowing toilet upstairs the schmuck rings my bell.I told him that he's too late."Yeah bt I texted you last night" me: sorry I didn't look at my phone <=he deserved a lie
agaphmou
agaphmou

Honeycomb :

Back to top Go down

Post by vglory Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:25 pm

I finally coughed up the money for Angies list, and it works well. I had one do a bad job and as soon as I posted the bad review he was right over to fix it and give a partial refund!

vglory
Worker Bee
Worker Bee

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2012-09-07

Back to top Go down

Post by agaphmou Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:30 pm

ha! Good for you Vglory!The plumber that actually did the work today is great.He takes forever to check,re-check,adjust and make sure everything is perfect. $425 to change 3 pipes under the sink and to change the part I knew was the problem in the toilet.Now I can try to calm down.
agaphmou
agaphmou

Honeycomb :

Back to top Go down

Post by briteasafirefly Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:29 pm

We've had bad luck with plumbers here too!!! Well my grandparent's house does...

We had some guy come to fix the kitchen sink that was clogged...
it turned into the biggest disaster ever! The guy decided the problem was in the wall under the kitchen sink, but he wasn't small enough to get it here to fix it himself. So my brother gets called(he's a general contractor) to come remove the drywall, remove the old cast iron pipe(that sucker didn't want to come out!), install new non-cast iron pipe with a clean-out outside, and patch the drywall.

The guy comes out again and puts in all new under kitchen sink plumbing...doesn't even have the right connector to connect into what my brother did.
Kitchen sink still won't drain... plumber runs his snake and leaves with the problem supposedly fixed. But now my bathroom sink/shower is clogged and the kitchen sink is too basically. This plumber costs almost $500 when my brother did all the hard labor.

Brother was super busy and heading out of town, so he had his plumber buddy come out. He runs his snake to unclog my bathroom sink and shower, plus re-do the previous plumber's snake job. He couldn't get it with what he had on him...he does more installing/remodeling than fixing.

So we call out the trusty $20 drain guys(that should have been called in the first place!) and he gets it all fixed in less than 20 minutes....all drains are draining properly!

Found a puddles of water a few days later...the cast iron pipe going from the kitchen down into the garage is leaking into the canning cupboard in the garage and under my bathroom cabinet. I'm very much under the impression that the first clumsy idiot plumber is likely the cause, but he's a church friend of my grandparents and they are in denial that he was a waste of time.
Two months later and its still not fixed...can't afford to hire someone since the first plumber cost so much and my poor brother is so overloaded with work(he's working for a group of investors who flip foreclosed houses...so he's managing at least 3 houses at a time) that he hasn't had the time to actually replace the old cast iron piping...the pipes are all exposed at this point, since we had to find the leak and stop potential mold.
So we have plastic tubs in the kitchen sink that we dump outside after doing dishes and can't use our water filter system, but at least I'm not constantly cleaning up puddles of water(any water that goes down the kitchen sink leaks out downstairs) anymore!

So long story short....I get plumbing problems and don't wish them on anyone!
briteasafirefly
briteasafirefly
In Need of a 12 Step Program

Number of posts : 625
Honeycomb : the doomed level 6
Registration date : 2008-11-28

Back to top Go down

Post by agaphmou Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:41 pm

Wow Jessica! It looks like plumbers are a nightmare everywhere.I was trying to avoid calling the second plumber b/c although he's responsible ,shows up and does the job correctly,he's expensive,$425 to change one part in the toilet and 3 pipes under the kitchen sink :smh:
agaphmou
agaphmou

Honeycomb :

Back to top Go down

Post by kleenaechs Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:22 pm

I think I am thankful my hubby does our plumbing!

kleenaechs

Number of posts : 641
Registration date : 2009-05-21

Back to top Go down

Post by agaphmou Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:51 pm

You really should be thankful kleenaechs!
agaphmou
agaphmou

Honeycomb :

Back to top Go down

Post by briteasafirefly Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:57 pm

agaphmou wrote:Wow Jessica! It looks like plumbers are a nightmare everywhere.I was trying to avoid calling the second plumber b/c although he's responsible ,shows up and does the job correctly,he's expensive,$425 to change one part in the toilet and 3 pipes under the kitchen sink :smh:

That seems to be the case! They are super expensive! And in your case with it being a rental, its not like you can make do until the cheaper option decides to show up.

I know that we could have found a better plumber at $50 a hour that would have done a quicker job.
My brother does it just because he can do it easily(when he has time...)...he won't charge(he refuses to hand over the receipts for parts) and he'll get a couple of pies once he's finished.

At this point, it just has to absolutely be done before Thanksiving... there's no way that our family Thanksgiving dinner can be done w/o full use of the sink drains.
briteasafirefly
briteasafirefly

Back to top Go down

Post by agaphmou Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:07 pm

I really for you and your family.It's all just so stressful
agaphmou
agaphmou

Honeycomb :

Back to top Go down

Post by bizzeedee Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:48 pm

gosh girls. bummers for you both.... with a newer house, 12 years, we've not had too many issues. but did have both toilets replaced; contractor installed some cheapy things that if they did fush, it had to be repeated... so much for water saving toilets. we finally bought two Todo toilets, and the plumber did a good job, reasonable.

then 18 months or so ago, our garbage dispoal was acting up and clogging lots... called in a neighbor who is a contractor, and he replaced it, the trap (improperly installed) and installled a new sink (I was tired of the white poreclain and went with stainless stell. we felt he didn't charge enough, so we ended up paying him $100 additional.

this past month, we had roof damage from a storm and our insurance paid for a new roof, fascia and gutters, we had our neighborhor/contractor handle the job and they did a fine job.... helps when you not only know the contractor but that he lives about 10 houses away... because you can always "find him" LOL
bizzeedee
bizzeedee

Number of posts : 4243
Honeycomb : Sweet Bee ~ Level 6 ~
Registration date : 2008-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by agaphmou Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:07 pm

Very lucky Dee Very Happy
agaphmou
agaphmou

Honeycomb :

Back to top Go down

Post by edbson Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:41 am

I guess i am glad I just fix it myself. We don't have water "pips", we have Apex tubing, it's super easy to fix and replace.
edbson
edbson

Number of posts : 5916
Honeycomb : Level 6~ the abyss,
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post by agaphmou Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:27 pm

Hm,I have to look that up,never heard of it Erin
agaphmou
agaphmou

Honeycomb :

Back to top Go down

Post by edbson Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:33 pm

https://www.ppfahome.org/default.aspx

it expands, so doesn't bust if it freezes( my water lines are in the attic and walls). Works for hot and cold, is red or blue, so easy to tell the difference. Flexible, you can go around curves etc with it. The connections are cheap, esy to do and it's convenient to run to Home depot and buy 3 feet of tubing/.
edbson
edbson

Number of posts : 5916
Honeycomb : Level 6~ the abyss,
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post by agaphmou Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:25 pm

That is pretty amazing!
agaphmou
agaphmou

Honeycomb :

Back to top Go down

Post by briteasafirefly Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:44 pm

I'll have to ask my brother about that...

He'll be replacing the cast iron with ABS and I'm pretty sure I could even replace/install ABS.

My grandfather built this house in the 1950s and had the option to use ABS, but chose cast iron instead. Our water district is actually getting ready to replace the 60+ year old cast iron water pipes on our street...thats a whole new headache since we live at the end of a narrow deadend street.
briteasafirefly
briteasafirefly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down