Unofficial Bzz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sirius Radio

5 posters

Go down

Sirius Radio Empty Sirius Radio

Post by bringthechaos Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:02 pm

The other day I got my first MRI and since it was for my foot, only half of me had to go into the "tube." The doc asked what kind of music I liked and I figured she was just trying to start small talk. Instead she brought back a pair of headphones so she could tell me how much longer I had left, but it was also playing music. She had XM radio going and I realized there is a lot to say for commercial-free music! I was jamming for the next forty-five music.

I decided to get Sirius instead of XM, as I already have XM as part of my DirecTV for free, so I figured I would get Sirius in my car. It also came with a free online subscription so I can listen while I am talking to all of you online Very Happy

If anyone is on the edge about getting satellite radio, whether XM or Sirius, just do it! You'll never go back!
bringthechaos
bringthechaos
Worker Bee
Worker Bee

Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2008-04-06

Back to top Go down

Sirius Radio Empty Re: Sirius Radio

Post by brandiland73 Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:07 pm

I thought they were merging?
brandiland73
brandiland73
In Need of a 12 Step Program

Number of posts : 710
Honeycomb : Five....I think
Registration date : 2008-04-03

http://home.comcast.net/~brandihampson/

Back to top Go down

Post by bringthechaos Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:16 pm

They've been talking about it for a while.

I used to work at Circuit City as a sales person for car electronics and the Sirius representative for FL was always there. He told me we won't start to see the changes for a year or so. They've proposed having different plan levels with a different number of stations for a while.

They're basically the same thing, minus certain sports on each and Howard Stern on Sirius lol.
I don't like the idea of ONE company having a complete monopoly. Customers don't have the option to choose...but then again they have been the same price for a while? But once in a while Sirius or Xm will host their own special to boost sales, like a discounted radio or buy a 50 dollar gift card get a free radio etc. If they become one, I see that kind of stuff not happening as often...
bringthechaos
bringthechaos
Worker Bee
Worker Bee

Back to top Go down

Post by brandiland73 Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:34 pm

I used to have xm and loved it but I was in Europe for 6 months last year so we cancelled it. They then offered to keep us at half price but we still declined.
brandiland73
brandiland73

Number of posts : 710
Honeycomb : Five....I think
Registration date : 2008-04-03

http://home.comcast.net/~brandihampson/

Back to top Go down

Post by bizzeedee Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:31 pm

pay to listen to radio? You've got to be kidding. no way. I just plug songs onto my creative zen nana and can have totally commercial free music -- at no cost! hey, but whatever charges your battery! Oh, and I use rechargeable batteries Very Happy
bizzeedee
bizzeedee
Really Not Getting Much Done Around the House

Number of posts : 4243
Honeycomb : Sweet Bee ~ Level 6 ~
Registration date : 2008-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by bringthechaos Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:42 pm

Well I try to be as legal as I can (not using limewire, bearshare, etc) and I don't feel like paying a buck a song. Plus, I really don't want to listen to the songs I already know; I want to discover music.

We used to have a SUCKY alternative rock station here but it plays 52 minutes of music. What good is very little commercials if the quality is terrible and the music selection is TERRIBLE. The one that played good music only had 40 minutes of music, so 33% of the time you were listening to ADS! What kind of crap is that? lol

Now I can listen to channels that are specific to decade, only weather, reggae, electronic (they got rid of our techno station here!) or hell, just a station dedicated to elvis lol.

Anyway, to each his own. I just think this is incredible, I can understand how it's not for everyone =)
bringthechaos
bringthechaos
Worker Bee
Worker Bee

Back to top Go down

Post by edbson Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:45 pm

I agree and wouldn't pay for radio. I also have 2 really good friends who work in the radio industry and are facing unemployment almost weekly. If I want music commercial free I use my Zune, and it's portable too.

I don't use Bearshare, or limewire, no Kaaza. I do pay a buck a song, or $10 for 2 Cd's on tuesdays.
edbson
edbson

Number of posts : 5916
Honeycomb : Level 6~ the abyss,
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post by bizzeedee Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:47 pm

Well sounds like you're happy with it, and understand living in an area where you don't get round the clock, ad free radio (not that I ever did or do). And I don't pay 99 cents a tune, nor do I 'steal' music. Lots of newsletters I belong to give you free tunes from time to time, and cnet is a place where you can download tunes at no cost, of course, they may not be #1 artists, but no bother. I only load walking tunes onto my Zen, love country (as in honky tonk), so get plenty enough of free stuff for me. I've also copied lots of tunes of several of my cd's... again, walking fast pace kind of tunes.

I was just stating, perphaps, not clearly, that I wouldn't pay for tunes. Didn't mean to step on toes with 'my opinion silent '
bizzeedee
bizzeedee

Back to top Go down

Post by bringthechaos Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:53 pm

Aw you didn't Dee! I didn't mean to sound like I was accusing you of stealing music or anything, I was purely referring to myself! I just knew that would have to be my route in order to get music for free (as I do like music that is extremely current, unfortunately lol).

More power to you if you can save money =)

I was selling XM and Sirius subscriptions for a long time before ever getting sirius for myself. I just decided to get it because the car I just got had it built in and I figured I'd give it a go. I can't stand listening to talk shows in the morning on my commute or commercials for erectile dysfunction. I used to have HD radio in my last car and that was GREAT since it greatly increased my number of stations. When a commercial was on one station, I would just switch it to the other station.
bringthechaos
bringthechaos
Worker Bee
Worker Bee

Back to top Go down

Post by bizzeedee Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:58 pm

okay, glad things are cool. I live in a small town, and from the time I leave my house until I get to the place I need to go furthest away, I get commercial free music on my fav oldies channel lol! )we're talking 15 minutes tops!)

And when dh and I travel, we listen to our favorite CDs, my mp3 player, or sometimes, nothing, we talk instead Very Happy
bizzeedee
bizzeedee

Back to top Go down

Post by bringthechaos Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:58 pm

edbson wrote:I agree and wouldn't pay for radio. I also have 2 really good friends who work in the radio industry and are facing unemployment almost weekly. If I want music commercial free I use my Zune, and it's portable too.

I don't use Bearshare, or limewire, no Kaaza. I do pay a buck a song, or $10 for 2 Cd's on tuesdays.
I can definitely feel your friends' stress. I was pretty much forced to leave my job (would have been forced to do extremely unethical practices if I wanted to keep my job at CC. No one could pay me enough to do that.) Right now I'm just living on pure savings until I move to Orlando in a few months so it makes me cringe when I see how much money I paid for songs I don't listen to anymore in my Itunes when I'm struggling to put gas into my car. Gotta have some luxuries (like sirius) or I'd go insane! lol!
bringthechaos
bringthechaos
Worker Bee
Worker Bee

Back to top Go down

Post by bringthechaos Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:01 pm

bizzeedee wrote:okay, glad things are cool. I live in a small town, and from the time I leave my house until I get to the place I need to go furthest away, I get commercial free music on my fav oldies channel lol! )we're talking 15 minutes tops!)

And when dh and I travel, we listen to our favorite CDs, my mp3 player, or sometimes, nothing, we talk instead Very Happy
That's great haha. I do a LOT of driving commuting to school and spend a lot of time in traffic. I don't just stop in the car, I have a stereo next to my laptop here and I'm listening to the radio a good 3 hours a day in my house as well.

I just recently learned how to burn an MP3 cd and I was really upset that my Itunes bought music couldn't burn to it! I was going to have to burn to a regular cd to listen to it (so like 15 songs a cd?) That really bummed me out.
bringthechaos
bringthechaos
Worker Bee
Worker Bee

Back to top Go down

Post by thebigscott Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:27 pm

I pay so little attention to the radio that it akes me halfway through the second commercial to notice and change the channel. I like it in the background when I'm driving. Not enought to make it worth paying for though. I prefer audio books.
thebigscott
thebigscott

Number of posts : 9214
Honeycomb : Level 6 ~ Sweet Bee

http://messierobjects.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content