Unofficial Bzz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

snow driving is a white knukle event!

5 posters

Go down

snow driving is a white knukle event! Empty snow driving is a white knukle event!

Post by bizzeedee Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:44 pm

We went to St. Charles MO (just west of St. Louis) yesterday. Cold, but dry. Enjoy a great evening with our niece/nephews and the combined 15 great grands...

I woke at 4 this morning (hotel) looked out the window... nothing going on except for a family leaving (the smart ones)... back to bed. Chuck got up at 7, let me sleep, and when he came back, woke me... said SNOW. So I got up, dressed, quickly went and ate some oatmeal and were on the road by 9 (after Chuck cleaned off the car)...

It had started snowing after 4am... everything white. We headed out... and thought we were lucky we got behind 3 snowplows (in 3 lanes... the 4th went untouched)....

For someone who has been away from those conditions for 10 years, I was a wreck. DH drove, 40mph tops. At one point we had to leave and go around the snowplows to take our route... totoal slush out... that plow dumped a ton off crap on us (not his fault)....

For 4 hours, we drove in near white out conditions... trying to follow and hoping the car in front of us knew where the lanes were (totally not visible)...

27 degrees outside, hot inside, but my hands were wringing wet, not from heat, but from nerves.

Once we reached the IL/IN state line, the snow had basically stopped and roads were pretty dry, very little now on the grass....

I'm too old to do this anymore... as much as we enjoyed our time with the family last night, we've dedided we'd never drive anyplace or anywhere in Dec or any month when there might be snow...

Dang, it's good to be home LOL
bizzeedee
bizzeedee
Really Not Getting Much Done Around the House

Number of posts : 4243
Honeycomb : Sweet Bee ~ Level 6 ~
Registration date : 2008-03-10

Back to top Go down

snow driving is a white knukle event! Empty Re: snow driving is a white knukle event!

Post by edbson Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:22 am

I have only driven in snow two or three times, but I have driven on ice and it is scary. I cannot imagine! I would never let dh drive though....he scares me.
edbson
edbson

Number of posts : 5916
Honeycomb : Level 6~ the abyss,
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Back to top Go down

snow driving is a white knukle event! Empty Re: snow driving is a white knukle event!

Post by Lori Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:41 am

It's exhausting, isn't it? I don't mind driving slow, but it's visibility problems that scare the sh*t out of me. I can remember driving down to Grand Rapids and hitting the open lakeshore in Lake City. All of a sudden I could see nothing. Your gut instinct is to come to a complete stop - but will the guy behind you do the same, or will you get rear-ended? I finally found that if I glanced to the right I could see a slightly raised outline that showed me where the plowed snow had been piled and I crawled through, going about 5 mph. Longest mile of my life!

I also hate what I call "Star Wars Snow", where the flakes seem to be falling right towards your face...similar to the opening credits of the Star Wars films... That messes with your head! LOL My brain can't take that for very long.
Lori
Lori

Number of posts : 8682
Honeycomb : Sweet Bee, Level 6
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by tara Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:41 pm

Yesterday every last bit of leftover snow from last week was completely gone. We woke up to 8 inches this morning. I ventured out, I had too. I try to avoid winter driving as much as possible but that's not really feasible, lol.
tara
tara

Number of posts : 6833

http://www.mythirtyone.com/taras/

Back to top Go down

Post by bizzeedee Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:39 pm

I try to avoid it too... heck, we moved south... and we get it (which is nothing to complain about) it's gone in a day. I could just never live in the north again.... never, never, never! I'm become my mother in the car... a nervous wreck... and DH is really a good driver.
bizzeedee
bizzeedee

Number of posts : 4243
Honeycomb : Sweet Bee ~ Level 6 ~

Back to top Go down

Post by thebigscott Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:28 am

I'm with you, Dee. I like snow, but not on the roads. Around here, you can just wait it out. It will be gone in a day or two. It sucks when you know that if you wait, you'll only get more snow.
thebigscott
thebigscott

Number of posts : 9214
Honeycomb : Level 6 ~ Sweet Bee

http://messierobjects.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down