Unofficial Bzz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

just how far is too far?

5 posters

Go down

just how far is too far? Empty just how far is too far?

Post by chelle Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:11 am

you have got to read this.

http://news.mywebpal.com/news_tool_v2.cfm?show=localnews&pnpID=974&NewsID=964965&CategoryID=20207&on=1

I will refrain from giving my opinion. for a few posts anyway.... LOL

But honestly, I have to ask, is this what this world is coming to?
chelle
chelle

Number of posts : 6471
Honeycomb : the abyss with keys that dont fit any locks
Registration date : 2008-03-10

http://aretheyalseepyet.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

just how far is too far? Empty Re: just how far is too far?

Post by thebigscott Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:23 am

Shocked
Damn! That's just freaking nuts on everyone's part. First off it was illegal of them to bill her that way. There are other (legal) ways to go about collecting money. But then it's crazy to offer her reparation money. Maybe offer to take the $800 off of the money she owes them since they shouldn't have shut off the power? But not PAY her. And then for her to ask/demand for more? Was there even anyone with a brain in their heads in the room?
thebigscott
thebigscott
Really Not Getting Much Done Around the House

Number of posts : 9214
Honeycomb : Level 6 ~ Sweet Bee

http://messierobjects.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Lori Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:56 am

I think she has a good case. They had no right turning off her power and water if her bills were paid. And I can understand the reluctance to pay back the mistaken overpayment when someone has just lost their job and has a family to support.

They could have taken them to small claims court or served them with papers to get the money back, but the least they owed them is a civil apology. It was their own mistake for overpayment, and they should be the ones having to foot the bill for making things right again. You can't have a bunch of good old boys getting together and saying "Hey, that Joe had the nerve to cash the check we sent him and now he won't give the money back! Go turn off his power and water and that'll teach him!" That crap scares me.
Lori
Lori

Number of posts : 8682
Honeycomb : Sweet Bee, Level 6
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by chelle Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:40 am

No, there wasnt anyone with a brain..

The man wasnt fired. he chose to leave from what I remember about it. And they just made a mistake on the paycheck. I have had mistakes made on my paychecks before, in my favor and in their favor. For these people to keep it was dishonest.

I agree that turning off the power was wrong. and two wrongs DONT make a right.

For me it all goes down to Karma. It was VERY dishonest to keep the money. (they still should have went through legal channels to get it back.)And she does deserve to be paid back for money she spent out of pocket for her electric being cut off. Although, you can find a MUCH cheaper motel in this town than 100.00 a night. I have a VERY stocked freezer, and I doubt there is 500.00 dollars worth of stuff in it. But she was going to be made whole again. To demand 10,000.00 is outragous. She just saw the dollar signs. Saw that there was a possibility to get free money and is trying for it. They already got 3 grand that they didnt deserve. when you do dishonest things, you eventually get caught up with. I dont feel sorry for her. Although, the city should have put a lein against her, or asked for a payment plan. not that they would have to offer ap yment plan.

For me, this just highlights the way this country is going. and its sad. the big goverment, who can do anything they want to you; the dishonest citizen who wants more, and doesnt care who it hurts to get 'theirs' even if they dont deserve it. I just wonder where it will end..

and on that same thought, I wonder how many people will turn out for our congressmans town hall tomorrow. ?? My bet is not many- and thats sad.
chelle
chelle

Back to top Go down

Post by Lori Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:36 pm

There's no doubt that they will have to pay the money back that they were overpaid. You can't just keep it (I don't think! you never know these days!). There are legal channels to go through to recover it, and because some idiots decided to take things into their own hands they may have cost the city much much more in the long run. I am not blaming this cost on the couple but the people who took their power for granted and abused it. The couple can ask for damages from the city or they can bring a lawsuit and take their chances. Clearly, their utility usage will not gel with what they were charged and they have an excellent chance of winning an award for damages. City Hall just can't do stuff like this.

BTW, I don't question their out-of-pocket expenses, either. I purchase livestock from the fair (from either 4H or Youth Livestock Exchange kids, whoever we have sponsored) and I may pay $3 per pound for that meat. That's the total live weight of the animal. Hell, my freezer may have upwards of a $3K to $4K value in it. It may not have the same value to you if your freezer is stocked with home-grown, but I have receipts for what I have in my freezer.
Lori
Lori

Number of posts : 8682
Honeycomb : Sweet Bee, Level 6
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by thebigscott Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:28 pm

Oh yeah! My MIL's freezer broke and insurance covered the replacement of the stuff inside, so we just wrote down the prices on the labels as we threw things away. She had well over $500 worth and that was the sale price that she bought at, not what the store would charge to just go and replace it all at once.
thebigscott
thebigscott

Number of posts : 9214
Honeycomb : Level 6 ~ Sweet Bee

http://messierobjects.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by tara Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:41 pm

I have two freezers and there is easily over $500 in each one.

I don't know, she sounds greedy but I doubt raising her electric bill to reap their loss is legal. I wouldn't have kept the money but I sure would be putting up one hell of a LOUD fight if they did something like that to me. I think she shouldn't get a dime, but since they took underhanded ways to recoup... they shouldn't get a dime back either. Granted the couple did the wrong thing but it was the towns mistake in the first place. I would also say if my kids depended on electric for their health, first I would have a generator but I would be raising holy hell and then some if they shut me off because of their own underhanded ways.
tara
tara

Number of posts : 6833

http://www.mythirtyone.com/taras/

Back to top Go down

Post by edbson Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:09 pm

I don't think she should get 10K, no way. But I do think she deserves to have an honest refund of her freezer contents.
I don't have alot now, but before rita, and Ike I had roughly 10-12K worth of crap in 3 freezers. I had Deer, Antelope( DON'T ASK), emu, all kinds of fish, and TONS of shrimp and crabs. Also, chicken, guinea, quails, ducks, hell if it lfies it was in there.....
edbson
edbson

Number of posts : 5916
Honeycomb : Level 6~ the abyss,
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post by chelle Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:37 pm

to clarify, mine hshould have said I DONT doubt. For some reason, anytime I type in here I am way ahead of my curson. and harlf the stuff doesnt show up. I try to fix it, but dont always see it.

I dont have alot mine is full , but its not great stuff. LOL, but It would take well over 500 to relace it. heck, a bushel of peas is over 30.00 now. Sad

The hotel could have been made cheaper.

and yes, if she had a sick child, I agree, you cant cut people off if they do. or you have to go through channels to do it. Of course, my MIL works with 3 people who draw chcks on their kids for asthma. 2 of them dont take meds, or breathing treatments, AT ALL. the kids are just overweight and get winded easy. But they get a check for a disability.

I agree that you cant be big brother. the govt, be it a city, sate, or country, shouldnt be able to try underhanded ways or downright and outright lie to get anything. But as members of a community, or just people who share the world with others, we need to be more respnsible. They KNEW they took moneyt that wasnt theirs.

okay- have to quit typing now, lost my train of thought and its just now typing about the asthma.. LOL

- and 16 minute slater I get to read what I wrote. Gonna hit send be for eI go to sleep.
chelle
chelle

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum