Unofficial Bzz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An interesting day..

3 posters

Go down

An interesting day.. Empty An interesting day..

Post by KellyM Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:58 pm

Say if you were (for instance) going to try to make divinity fudge and had never made it before. A helpful thing for the recipe to tell you is that when you take the corn syrup/sugar boiled mixture and pour it into the beaten egg whites, be SURE that the bowl you mix them in is really deep. Another helpful thing that the recipe could have told you is that the corn syrup while it's being poured from the pan into the egg whites leaves strands and beads which immediately harden like glass, wrapping around the beaters and covering your countertop/ clothes, etc... The recipe does tell you to pour in the hot syrup in a slow steady stream as close to the beaters as you can. It does not tell you however that by trying to pour it close to the beaters that you risk getting some on the mixer itself and into the mixer exhaust area, and when it hardens is almost impossible to get off. It also does not mention that when it does that the mixer will make a sound like a weasel caught in a vacuum cleaner.. And it doesn't say that after all that trouble you went through to make the fudge for the mail lady (the fudge did turn out btw) that you will not be able to give it to her because your driveway is like the surface of a bottle and you fall on your a$$ twenty times to be able to make it halfway down to the mailbox and decide before you break a hip that you need to turn around and go back up.
KellyM
KellyM
Really Not Getting Much Done Around the House

Number of posts : 2887
Registration date : 2008-05-26

Back to top Go down

An interesting day.. Empty Re: An interesting day..

Post by edbson Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:22 pm

divinity does not work well in humid weather either, and the recipe does NOT tell you that.
edbson
edbson

Number of posts : 5916
Honeycomb : Level 6~ the abyss,
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post by KellyM Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:34 pm

lol so you have made it too? I remember my aunt used to make this when I was little and I was getting all nostalgic and thought I would try. After all the ingredients are pretty cheap. The divinity fudge turned out well, just like I remembered it to be, but didn't it make a hell of a mess! It's going to take me some time to clean. While mixing it, little beads of the hot candy mixture went flying everywhere and are glued to the counter, wall, my shirt, etc.. My mixer is now making a horrendous noise (it's only 2 mos old). If it decides to break I will just tell my hubby he bought me a defective mixer lol I will just leave the part out about getting hot boiled sugar crap inside the exhaust..
KellyM
KellyM

Back to top Go down

Post by edbson Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:37 pm

No, I did not make it, btdt, never going there again. My granny used to make divinity, and she would only make it on certain days, or it wouldn't work.
edbson
edbson

Number of posts : 5916
Honeycomb : Level 6~ the abyss,
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post by chelle Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:12 pm

yep. Divinity will only work on certain days. Same with Jelly, filling back up a post hole, and no bake oatmeal cookies.

I really didnt know about Jelly till this year. The other 3 I did know about Smile
chelle
chelle

Number of posts : 6471
Honeycomb : the abyss with keys that dont fit any locks
Registration date : 2008-03-10

http://aretheyalseepyet.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by KellyM Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:18 pm

Mmmm no bake cookies. I'll have to make some of those soon, I haven't had any since last Christmas.. I had heard about the divinity fudge not turning out if you try to make it on a rainy or humid day, but I didn't know about jelly either. Though I don't make jelly, I would like to try next year. Mom makes a rhubarb jelly/jam that is to die for and I want to learn how to make it.
KellyM
KellyM

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down