Unofficial Bzz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thanksgiving

+10
Honey
KellyM
59pearly
chelle
edbson
Lori
tara
thebigscott
Rebecca1340
Sharon
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Thanksgiving - Page 2 Empty Re: Thanksgiving

Post by Lori Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:46 pm

When we eat big family dinners, the kids fill their plates first. After they're settled in at the kids table, everyone else sits down to eat. I'm sorry, but when those kids get just a wee bit older they are going to tear into that food and there will be nothing left for the adults. Kids tend to not think ahead as far as "If I take half of the potatoes and put them on my plate what is everyone else going to eat?". LOL Maybe her children are such light eaters that she underestimates everything. Is she quite a light eater/thin herself? You could let her know that a tablespoon of potatoes is not really anything to celebrate about. Because Pearly is right, if said in a humorous way you can get away with saying just about anything.
Lori
Lori

Number of posts : 8682
Honeycomb : Sweet Bee, Level 6
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by KellyM Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:58 pm

lol Her kids aren't light eaters but they are constant snackers, so when it is time for a meal they don't eat much, only because they are snacking all day long. Yes she eats like a bird, she hasnt' always though and she has seen the amount of food I make on several occasions when we have invited them over for a meal. She even made comments a couple times like, "Wow, you made a lot of food!" and I would say either"Well I wanted to make sure there would be plenty for everyone." or " I know how much my crew can eat so I want to make sure there is enough." I was secretly hoping that she might compare her puny offering to our meals and realize it's not enough.. I could see if they couldn't afford much, or if we didn't offer to help with the meal. But that isn't the case. I think my 15 yr old son could eat the amount of dinner she makes for all 4 of them each night and he'd go back for seconds! She makes a lot of frozen stuff though, if it doesn't come out of a box or can, then its an experiment for her.
KellyM
KellyM
Really Not Getting Much Done Around the House

Number of posts : 2887
Registration date : 2008-05-26

Back to top Go down

Post by 59pearly Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:08 pm

KellyM wrote:lol ... She even made comments a couple times like, "Wow, you made a lot of food!" and I would say either"Well I wanted to make sure there would be plenty for everyone." or " I know how much my crew can eat so I want to make sure there is enough." I was secretly hoping that she might compare her puny offering to our meals and realize it's not enough..

Well now, that is a problem. If she doesn't respond to that then I don't blame you for accepting things the way they are. Not much more you can do.
59pearly
59pearly
In Need of a 12 Step Program

Number of posts : 848
Honeycomb : Level 6 Sweet Bee - Need 13 honeycombs for next key. Sigh.
Registration date : 2008-05-05

http://acommonstreetpeddler.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by edbson Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:01 pm

I NEED cornbread dressing now, right now, and not just any, my granny's recipe....
edbson
edbson

Number of posts : 5916
Honeycomb : Level 6~ the abyss,
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Sharon Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:34 pm

I could go for some stuffing right now!!! My Mom made the best stuffing -she passed away in 1992 thank god my father new how to make it -he still makes it better than I (LOL) My Mom's mother was from Poland (my grandmother) it's a sausage stuffing with crackers and potato's OMG it's the best --it all honesty it looks like grey brain matter -- When my husband saw it for the 1st ime -he wal like i will never eat that since his Mom made a bread stuffing... Now I have to laugh years later he won't eat bread stuffing only my family stuffing...

My dad and my brother make a seafood stuffing also in a seperate pan with crab and lobster in it - everyone says it is excellent but i have never tried it --not a seafood fan!!!

The first time I had thanksgiving there was a zillion people at my house and I had to make 3 pans of the POLISH stuffing --and I had never tried making it b-4 dad had said to add Bell's seasoning mix to it --well I thought you add the whole box to each pan since the box is rather tiny -it turned to dust --I was freaking out--My husband had to run to price chopper Thank god there open until midnight -- I was making stuffing until 4am that first thankgiving and pregnet to boot!! And plus the whole house stunk of Bell's seasoning mix really bad we had to open all the windows in the house to air it out--Plus I had cooked 3 turkeys the first I left the bag inside of it since I did not know that you had to take it out --oh SAD is that and I was 28 years old -- I still have not lived that down (LOL)

One year My aunt Carol whom is a really bad cook she over cooked the turkey that it exploaded I kid you not --my dad was almost in tears that thanksgiving (in front of the oven) I was like 11 years old --thank god my parents brought a ham --AS kids we hated going to my Mom's brother house since his wife Carol was a horrible cook and to this day she still is... Years later still we will never forget that sound- it sounded like a ballon deflating and my Aunt ran to the oven all ther was just the bones of the turkey intact!!! OMG to darn funny -- I am laughing as I am typing this--so sorry for any spelling error's

When I was married to my first husband -I had thanksgiving for his family since My mom had just passed away a month pror that year and my Dad said he were not going to celebrate -So my sisters and my brother went to friends house's and I had to entertain and do the cooking for my then husband family which was a small crowd of about 10-I had only been married for a few months --since I only really married him since my Mother was dying and she wanted to see one of her children get married b-4 she passed-so anyway I had No clue I was 24 and had never really cooked anything..So Thank god for my grandfather who is now passed away My Dad -father he always did the cooking since my grandmother on my dad's side hated to cook-- I started crying to my Papa(grandfather) that I did not know what to do --So he came over the night b-4 thanksgiving and cooked everything and told me to pass it off that I did it.. All I had to do was make the salad and heat up the rolls -- my Grandfather even cooked the pies a few days b-4 and brought them over that nite.. My then in-laws were so impressed and Kenny (my ex ) was on a business trip and did not come home until Thanksgiving morning -so he even thought I cooked it.. So after that I had to learn to cook real quick (LOL) OHHH the horror's of those 1st hoildays (LOL)... Now I could entertain for a crowd of 50 and never bat an eye lash Wow have times changed !! Happy Thanksgiving All
Sharon
Sharon
In Need of a Life
In Need of a Life

Number of posts : 319
Honeycomb : level 6 -1 gold keys
Registration date : 2008-06-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Lori Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:34 am

Sharon, leaving the bag of giblets in the turkey is very common! They shove it in the neck area and most people don't think to look there! My sister was such an inexperienced cook that she made Kraft Mac and Cheese and wondered why it turned out so watery. Well, that would be because she hadn't drained the water from the pasta after cooking it. LOL

Honey, your mentioning a vegetarian guest reminds me of my fair-weather vegetarian niece. She made a big fuss 2 years ago about her being a vegan and she wouldn't eat dairy, etc. and I went to such pains to make sure there were things she would/could eat. I researched pie recipes and made her a vegan pumpkin pie that had ground nuts in the crust, no eggs, etc. Come thanksgiving day she filled her plate with all of the usual foods and did not care for the pie. She went back for seconds on the regular pumpkin pie, and her friend did as well. Never again.
Lori
Lori

Back to top Go down

Post by edbson Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:35 am

I need Pearly to go with me to my Crazy Aunts house....

SIL leaves the shells on the eggs for potato salad, she is an idiot. A couple of years ago I told her if she stuffed the turkey with unpopped popcorn it would come out juicy like mine.....it was juicy, all over her kitchen....almost blew open the oven door....she is gullible. AND she won't eat meat that is on a bone, ...um all meat had a bone at one time or another.
DH's family is only fun to pick on.

My family is a bunch of crackheaded idiots , but they are fun to pick on, and aT least they can cook.

I admit, i order my turducken precooked, all I have to do is heat it up....next year, when I have a real kitchen again, I will make it myself.
edbson
edbson

Back to top Go down

Post by crystajewel Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:55 am

let's see what i am doing for thanksgiving?

well i am going to my mom's house to celebrate thanksgiving with them. they always have a big spread of food and my husband and i are going to come down with my son and eat there and that's pretty much it. we just eat and relax

crystajewel
Queen Bee
Queen Bee

Number of posts : 231
Honeycomb : busy bee
Registration date : 2008-11-12

Back to top Go down

Post by 59pearly Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:27 am

edbson, you are so funny! No you didn't do that to your sil!
59pearly
59pearly

Number of posts : 848
Honeycomb : Level 6 Sweet Bee - Need 13 honeycombs for next key. Sigh.
Registration date : 2008-05-05

http://acommonstreetpeddler.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lori Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:34 am

Erin, the popcorn story reminds me of an episode of Gumby that my son saw when he was about 4. It ended up being a dream sequence, but there was bread dough in the oven that expanded out the oven door, filled the house, and then started growing outside. Scared the bejesus out of my little one.
Lori
Lori

Back to top Go down

Post by tara Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:47 am

gumby!!!!!!!!!

OMG I remember gumby, I haven't thought of him for years. I had the greatest bendy gumby doll that I loved.

I miss Fraggle rock the most Sad It seems all the other toys and shows have made a comeback.
tara
tara

Number of posts : 6833
Registration date : 2008-03-10

http://www.mythirtyone.com/taras/

Back to top Go down

Post by Lori Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:57 am

Fraggle Rock was cute, too. Weren't they actually on in prime time? I remember my niece watching in the evenings.
Lori
Lori

Back to top Go down

Post by edbson Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:34 am

YES< I DID! If she wasn't such an idiot she would have figured it out. She put eggshells in the [otato salad, I say she deserved it!
edbson
edbson

Back to top Go down

Post by Connie Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:47 pm

Thanksgiving is on the 27th this year... the day after Katies bday.... so we are having her bday on the 22nd so her friends will still be in town and my in laws will be in town that weekend as well.

So for us... Thanksgiving will be a small event... my oldest dd has her serious boyfriend and his family so they decided to do Thanksgiving with his family and Christmas with ours.. Middle dd MIGHT show up? My son is in California.. so it might just be the three of us!

Turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, stuffing, veggies, a plate with pickles, olives and stuffed celery (my fave) and some pumpkin pies..
Connie
Connie

Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2008-04-03

http://www.katieshugs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lori Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:29 pm

Connie, do you stuff your celery with those little jars of stuff? Sorry, I can't even remember what they're called but I always loved them. They come in pimiento flavor and a pineapple flavor...
Lori
Lori

Back to top Go down

Post by Missy Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:25 am

This year, my brother's birthday falls on Thanksgiving, so I hope I get to see him. If we are able to get a good enough car by then, the plan is to visit my Mom the day before. She usually does not do anything on Thanksgiving, or she goes over to a close friend's house. So, we will visit her, stay the night and then the next morning we will travel to Tim's Mom's home. I hope. We won't know anything that is going on until Wednesday. *fingers crossed*

If it does not work out, we will most likely just buy something nice to cook and be just the 3 of us. One of Tim's co-workers invited us over if we can not visit family. They have a little girl Timmy's age, so maybe we will go. I hate not knowing.

Usually, like I said in the first part, is what happens since we had Timmy. Christmas changes around, depending on who is doing what and when. And also, on Tim's oldest brother. He is a flight attendant, so if he is in town, we make sure that we get to see him. I would say we only see him about twice a year.

Then, 8 days after Thanksgiving will be my birthday. I am excited. I don't want to do anything though until the next day. Right now, plans are to go with my neighbors for dinner and drinks. My neighbor's sister will baby-sit Timmy.
Missy
Missy

Number of posts : 2031
Honeycomb : Level 6- The Abyss
Registration date : 2008-04-25

http://www.cafemom.com/home/missmissy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sharon Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:33 am

My brother B-day is also on Thanksgiving ,,,,
Sharon
Sharon
In Need of a Life
In Need of a Life

Number of posts : 319
Honeycomb : level 6 -1 gold keys
Registration date : 2008-06-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Honey Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:47 am

Lori wrote:Sharon, leaving the bag of giblets in the turkey is very common! They shove it in the neck area and most people don't think to look there! My sister was such an inexperienced cook that she made Kraft Mac and Cheese and wondered why it turned out so watery. Well, that would be because she hadn't drained the water from the pasta after cooking it. LOL

Honey, your mentioning a vegetarian guest reminds me of my fair-weather vegetarian niece. She made a big fuss 2 years ago about her being a vegan and she wouldn't eat dairy, etc. and I went to such pains to make sure there were things she would/could eat. I researched pie recipes and made her a vegan pumpkin pie that had ground nuts in the crust, no eggs, etc. Come thanksgiving day she filled her plate with all of the usual foods and did not care for the pie. She went back for seconds on the regular pumpkin pie, and her friend did as well. Never again.

OMG that would make me angry!! At least this girl is not vegan. Dairy is ok, just no meat products. She said the regular pumpkin pie will be just fine for her. She actually doesn't want us to go to lots of trouble just for her.However, Pia really wants to do it. I do most of the cooking here, so it gives her a chance to do some also. She does bake and make desserts for our meals, but I am the main cook for sure.
Honey
Honey

Number of posts : 1859
Honeycomb : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by Honey Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:50 am

edbson wrote:. AND she won't eat meat that is on a bone, ...um all meat had a bone at one time or another.

My sister's dil also won't eat meat on a bone. I am like wtf???
Honey
Honey

Number of posts : 1859
Honeycomb : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down