Unofficial Bzz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Prices

+4
hkh9832
Lori
tara
thebigscott
8 posters

Go down

Prices Empty Prices

Post by thebigscott Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:38 pm

I was watching a report last night where they were showing how a lot of the products we're buying are not just increasing their shelf prices, but selling smaller packages without reducing the prices and using cheaper ingredients. This was across the board on food, cleaning supplies, health and beauty stuff. It was kind of depressing. This economy SUCKS!
thebigscott
thebigscott
Really Not Getting Much Done Around the House

Number of posts : 9214
Honeycomb : Level 6 ~ Sweet Bee
Registration date : 2008-03-10

http://messierobjects.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Prices Empty Re: Prices

Post by tara Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:42 pm

yes it does.... don't even get me started on AIG. Talk about shitty news first thing in the morning grrrrrr I was awake and livid before my first cup of coffee
tara
tara

Number of posts : 6833

http://www.mythirtyone.com/taras/

Back to top Go down

Post by Lori Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:06 pm

I saw a piece on how ice cream companies are now putting 1.5 quart containers on shelves instead of the usual 2 quart size. This was a couple of months ago. It is very noticeable and very much resented. Then a couple of weeks after that I took a survey where they had a mock shop set up and I was to choose which packages of ice cream I would buy. I made a point to never place one of the smaller weight packages in my cart. LOL I didn't want them to get the idea that I didn't notice that even though the pkg was a little cheaper it was also less product.

Last edited by Lori on Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lori
Lori

Number of posts : 8682
Honeycomb : Sweet Bee, Level 6
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by hkh9832 Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:22 pm

I have noticed this also. As funny as it sounds, I found this out the hard way with my toilet paper. I bought the same kind as usual, only the package was different. Didn't think anything of that. Boy, did the quality of the product change as well. It's very thin and it flakes a lot. Not worth it in my opinion. Even my husband asked me to just stop buying the stuff.
hkh9832
hkh9832
Bzzing
Bzzing

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2008-04-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Missy Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:00 pm

I have been seeing that on specials through the years. I can never remember to tape it, or make note to go online and bring up the show again.

It is saddening about how companies are doing what they can to squeeze our money out of us, with giving us as little as possible. I always look at weight or how much is in each product and compare them per price and if I can getting more for my buck. And I do notice the big difference.

Oh, and with the big rise in gas prices... went from being close to getting back down to $3.15 when within 2 days the gas is now $4.51. *shakes head* I think we are headed for another depression... no one I know is too happy about this.
Missy
Missy

Number of posts : 2031
Honeycomb : Level 6- The Abyss
Registration date : 2008-04-25

http://www.cafemom.com/home/missmissy

Back to top Go down

Post by Lori Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:07 pm

The hurricane was expected to have a big effect on gas prices. Hopefully they'll fall again before winter. We were down to $3.85 when it went back up. Monday it was at $4.29. I haven't been to town since, but i'll see it today. If your gas is up to $4.51 I am very afraid.
Lori
Lori

Number of posts : 8682
Honeycomb : Sweet Bee, Level 6

Back to top Go down

Post by thebigscott Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:04 pm

Our Governor declared a state of emergency in Kentucky when Ike hit Texas. Sounds strange, but it makes it illegal to raise gas prices since "price gouging" during a state of emergency is against the law. So our prices have been fairly stable. But they'll go up some when the state of emergency is lifted.
thebigscott
thebigscott

Back to top Go down

Post by tara Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:10 pm

Interestingly gas here is down. 3.70 a gallon on teh reservation and cheaper still elsewhere, I saw 3.63 today. Very odd, usually the indians are the cheapest.
tara
tara

Back to top Go down

Post by Honey Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:38 am

My friend and I have been complaining about this very thing - smaller packages. It is very upsetting! We bought a can of scrubbing bubbles cleaner the other day and it cleaned the tub like 4 times and was empty!! Oh and don't get me started on coffee Mad
I heard on tv that companies think we would prefer to have smaller packages at the same price, rather than just higher prices. I can't say for sure what I prefer though, as the prices went up as well as the package size going down. I think I prefer it stay the same size and price go up though. Esp food items that may be part of a recipe. Such as Jello, if they make the box smaller any recipe will be off because it would be based on the old box size. I have a fudge recipe that calls for a 15 oz can of evaporated milk. They no longer come in that size I have to buy 2 and have leftover from the second can.
Honey
Honey

Number of posts : 1859
Honeycomb : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by chelle Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:11 am

As long as deisel keeps going up the prices will keep rising.. Sad and it irks me too that you are getting smaller packages. At least BlueBell still does a real half gallon.. They even do cmmercials about it. LOL
chelle
chelle

Number of posts : 6471
Honeycomb : the abyss with keys that dont fit any locks

http://aretheyalseepyet.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by 59pearly Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:28 pm

Blue Bell, did someone mention Blue Bell?

Here is the thing that gets me. These companies make tons of money yet the small business owner and the consumer never hear:

"Hey, we made a few billion dollars this year so regardless of what happens, we will not be raising prices. We will not suffer but you will. So here's what we are going to do. Instead of throwing money after our rich, spoiled, skinny and shiftless kids, we are passing the savings on to you. As a matter of fact, Junior is going to have to get a job somewhere to pay for his own gas. We are also going to not give out bonuses to our already filthy rich executives this year. Hell, Johnson didn't do anything last year but chase women and booze it up anyway. Last, okay, so 59Pearly hates high fructose corn syrup and seeing as how so many kids are way out of shape physically, we will no longer cut corners by using the stuff. Now, is everybody happy?'
59pearly
59pearly
In Need of a 12 Step Program
In Need of a 12 Step Program

Number of posts : 848
Honeycomb : Level 6 Sweet Bee - Need 13 honeycombs for next key. Sigh.
Registration date : 2008-05-05

http://acommonstreetpeddler.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by thebigscott Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:32 pm

Prices 78280 Prices 78280 Prices 78280 Prices 78280 Prices 78280
thebigscott
thebigscott

Back to top Go down

Post by chelle Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:49 pm

Prices 291891
chelle
chelle

Number of posts : 6471
Honeycomb : the abyss with keys that dont fit any locks

http://aretheyalseepyet.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by tara Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:20 pm

Prices 78280
tara
tara

Back to top Go down

Post by Honey Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:44 pm

Have yall seen the commercials that are trying to convince us that high fructose corn syrup is fine in moderation? I have heard that while you can sustain life on sucrose and dextose, were you given only high fructose corn syrup, you would die.
I am also wondering how long it is going to be cheaper to use? After all the corn issues lately, such as flooded farm land and ethanol made from corn, sugar might become cheaper to use again very soon!
Honey
Honey

Number of posts : 1859
Honeycomb : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down