Unofficial Bzz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My son & his GF got in a fight over whether to use Priceline or not

+4
bizzeedee
BeachyBum
59pearly
Lori
8 posters

Go down

My son & his GF got in a fight over whether to use Priceline or not Empty My son & his GF got in a fight over whether to use Priceline or not

Post by Lori Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:15 pm

I just got off the phone with my son and he told he he and his GF are going up to the U.P. to visit with her extended family over the holiday weekend. They needed a hotel, so my son, being my son, announces that he's going to bid on Priceline. His GF says NO! We're staying at the Ramada. He looks into it, but the Ramada is $100. He says he's gonna place a bid. No! She says she wants the Ramada, she knows the Ramada. They fight for a while and then he bids $50 and his bid gets accepted. They will be staying at the Ramada. LOL GF was pissed off! Apparently it was the principle of the thing. She called her mom and tells her the story and her mom was dying laughing and now she's really pissed off. My son & his GF got in a fight over whether to use Priceline or not 956600

Just a cautionary tale. Priceline is NOT for everyone. If you care that much, just make a regular hotel reservation. It worked out this time but if they had received any other hotel she would have been an unhappy camper.
Lori
Lori

Number of posts : 8682
Honeycomb : Sweet Bee, Level 6
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

My son & his GF got in a fight over whether to use Priceline or not Empty Re: My son & his GF got in a fight over whether to use Priceline or not

Post by 59pearly Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:59 pm

Ha Ha. That is so funny.
Where is U.P.?
59pearly
59pearly
In Need of a 12 Step Program

Number of posts : 848
Honeycomb : Level 6 Sweet Bee - Need 13 honeycombs for next key. Sigh.
Registration date : 2008-05-05

http://acommonstreetpeddler.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

My son & his GF got in a fight over whether to use Priceline or not Empty Re: My son & his GF got in a fight over whether to use Priceline or not

Post by BeachyBum Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:23 pm

I'm scared of Priceline for that reason.
I use Orbitz alot though, you can always find a good coupon Smile
BeachyBum
BeachyBum

Number of posts : 791
Honeycomb : Sweet Bee ~ Level 6 ~ 2 Golden Keys ~ Bzzing since 2003
Registration date : 2008-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by bizzeedee Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:25 pm

59pearly wrote:Ha Ha. That is so funny.
Where is U.P.?

Laughing only someone from the south (and CA) would ask that question. It's the Upper Pennisula... that hunk of land just north of the Michigan Mitten... which you get to by crossing the Mackinaw Bridge, or by entering via Wisconsin.

Beautiful, absolutly beautiful country! Ever hear of Mackinaw Island? Or the movie, Somewhere in Time? That would be it.
bizzeedee
bizzeedee
Really Not Getting Much Done Around the House

Number of posts : 4243
Honeycomb : Sweet Bee ~ Level 6 ~
Registration date : 2008-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by edbson Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:42 pm

I like Orbitz, priceline scares me a bit also, since I ended up with a LaQuinta in crack town a while back.
edbson
edbson

Number of posts : 5916
Honeycomb : Level 6~ the abyss,
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Lori Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:50 pm

Ya, it's da Upper Peninsula, eh!

Michigan's lower peninsula looks like a mitten and the upper peninsula looks like a rabbit in flight.

Beachy, Priceline is Priceless to me. There are places where I have favorite hotels and know how to get them via Priceline. Sometimes it's an adventure. Sometimes it's a matter of necessity! We were looking to stay in Boston for a conference my husband needed to attend and the "special price" at the host hotel was around $220 per night. It was late June or very early July so I believe it was prime summer season. I did some research and found a Best Western for around $175. Bid through Priceline and got the Wyndham for $85. I'm not sure if that hotel is still a Wyndham, but it's near the aquarium and directly across from The Times Irish Pub. It was a great location and a gorgeous hotel! And I love getting a 4* hotel at half the price of a 2* hotel.

Last edited by Lori on Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lori
Lori

Back to top Go down

Post by 59pearly Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:51 pm

Girl, you sure are right on that! I can't even picture that in my head. Will have to google it, lol. I have to be honest and answer all your questions with a "no".
59pearly
59pearly

Back to top Go down

Post by 59pearly Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:54 pm

I know what a Wyndham looks like though. There's one up the street and they seem to be really nice.
59pearly
59pearly

Back to top Go down

Post by thebigscott Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:13 am

I have gotten amazing deals on priceline. I mean truly amazing. I stayed for 5 nights at a wonderful hotel near Cincinnati for $5 a night once. It was over a hundred a night normally. I just bid on them for fun sometimes, when I know we don't have weekend plans. It doesn't hurt to be told no, and every now and then I get a yes.
thebigscott
thebigscott

Number of posts : 9214
Honeycomb : Level 6 ~ Sweet Bee

http://messierobjects.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Lori Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:08 am

Karen, WOW! Was that back in the good old days when Priceline teamed with American Express to give you bonus money when you paid with an AmEx card? I bought an AmEx Cobalt card (prepaid) just to get in on that sweet deal.

When my niece got married, I got a room for $23 for ourselves, and soon ended up getting rooms for my parents, grandma, and even the band that played at the wedding. It was an all-suite hotel, too, so the rooms were roomy and breakfast was awesome.

I cannot top $5 a night, though. LOL
Lori
Lori

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrlyte Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:56 am

I used priceline back when you could bid on groceries!! I saved an incredible amount of money with them at a time I really needed to. I would get like $300 in groceries for less than $100. It was amazing! I was so sad when they cancelled that service!
Starrlyte
Starrlyte
In Need of a Life
In Need of a Life

Number of posts : 349
Honeycomb : 5
Registration date : 2008-04-04

Back to top Go down

Post by brandiland73 Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:27 pm

Hey I am going to be there in the UP that weekend....are they going for a shotgun wedding perhaps? The reception is at the Ramada too.....freaky?

Careful when using any travel agent vs. direct with hotel/airline/cruise.......if you go direct changes can be made to your reservation....if you book through someone else they have to make those changes....

My future sisterinlaw from the UK used an agent and realized one portion of the trip was the wrong day.......this was xmas eve and the agent was closed. They had to call us here in the US and I had to play bitch with the airline after being on hold for over 1 hour.

I book direct now because of the horrible experience on their part but I do love discount sites like priceline.

I avoid HOTELS.com like the plague though.....I received a full refund from the hotel I stayed at because I found blood in the bedding....as I turned it down.....YUCK. Hotels.com would not refund the money even though they received a refund. They offered a gift certificate valid for 6 months...I was very upset because I was in Europe for that time period and could not use it and tryed to explain that to them. In the end I was out 120 bucks.
brandiland73
brandiland73

Number of posts : 710
Honeycomb : Five....I think
Registration date : 2008-04-03

http://home.comcast.net/~brandihampson/

Back to top Go down

Post by thebigscott Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:10 pm

Lori wrote:Karen, WOW! Was that back in the good old days when Priceline teamed with American Express to give you bonus money when you paid with an AmEx card? I bought an AmEx Cobalt card (prepaid) just to get in on that sweet deal.

No, it was a $10 bonus per night when you booked 5 or more nights. I figured all that could happen was getting turned down.

And groceries! Man I wish I'd known about that!

BTW, Zoe will kill me if I don't let her add some "sticker buttons" so these are from her:

cat rendeer elephant study flower
thebigscott
thebigscott

Number of posts : 9214
Honeycomb : Level 6 ~ Sweet Bee

http://messierobjects.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down