Unofficial Bzz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MOM help, it's too heavy to pick up!!!

+11
amybeccaz
bizzeedee
Muggins
tara
Honey
BeachyBum
kath
Missy
chelle
honcho
edbson
15 posters

Go down

MOM help, it's too heavy to pick up!!! Empty MOM help, it's too heavy to pick up!!!

Post by edbson Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:34 pm

That's what I heard earlier while dh and I were doing yard work( read, dh went nuts with the chainsaw, and I had to haul the branches he cut)
Anyway, they come RUNNING into the yard, screaming to help them pick up this GIANT turtle,I really did not think it was giant....so I am like whatever, come on, let's go see. Fortunately I had my phone in my pocket to take a pic..and the kids are lucky they have hands still. Bayley was trying to pick him up, but he was "hissing" at her.....I swear they are gonna be the death of me. And they wanted to keep it as a pet!!!

MOM help, it's too heavy to pick up!!! Turtle10

It's an alligator snapping turtle, a small one, but could have taken their arms off. My neighbor wanted to eat it, but i refused and called th game warden to come get it.
edbson
edbson

Number of posts : 5916
Honeycomb : Level 6~ the abyss,
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Back to top Go down

MOM help, it's too heavy to pick up!!! Empty Re: MOM help, it's too heavy to pick up!!!

Post by honcho Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:14 am

OMG...I would have had heart failure there and then!!
honcho
honcho
In Need of a Life
In Need of a Life

Number of posts : 461
Honeycomb : Sweet Bee
Registration date : 2008-04-17

Back to top Go down

MOM help, it's too heavy to pick up!!! Empty Re: MOM help, it's too heavy to pick up!!!

Post by chelle Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:45 am

OH neat!!! and my kids would have done the same thing.. They brought home 2 snakes on easter morning, cause they didnt recognize them and wanted to know if they were poisonious.

I was pretty sure not, but couldnt identify them, so I brought one into the house and woke BR up to ask. He was NOT amused to wake up to a 3 foot snake dangiling over the bed in his face.... But confirmed they were not poisonious. he doenst like snakes.. at all.

when I told the kids no, they wanted to keep them. LOL
chelle
chelle

Number of posts : 6471
Honeycomb : the abyss with keys that dont fit any locks
Registration date : 2008-03-10

http://aretheyalseepyet.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Missy Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:51 am

I remember when my brothers and I were growing up, my little brothers would find little toads and beg to keep them. I was the stray kitten keeper. lol But WOW that thing is HUGE!!

I can only imagine what Timmy will want to keep as he grows up. He loves dogs, so I have a feeling we will get the "But Mom, he followed me home." Yeah, he did, because you kept feeding him. lol
Missy
Missy
Really Not Getting Much Done Around the House

Number of posts : 2031
Honeycomb : Level 6- The Abyss
Registration date : 2008-04-25

http://www.cafemom.com/home/missmissy

Back to top Go down

Post by kath Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:07 am

What a beauty!!

I am glad you did the right thing, and took care of the turtle...
kath
kath

Number of posts : 1338

http://mckaitsbooks.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by BeachyBum Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:58 am

Those things are scary. It took 3 guys I know over an hour to move one out of the street, because it was hissing too!
BeachyBum
BeachyBum
In Need of a 12 Step Program

Number of posts : 791
Honeycomb : Sweet Bee ~ Level 6 ~ 2 Golden Keys ~ Bzzing since 2003
Registration date : 2008-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Honey Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:14 am

I hate it when they show up in my yard. I worry about my animals getting bitten. I tried to shoo one away once by turning the hose on it. It just opened it's mouth and let the water run down. I hate seeing them shot on the road though too. People around here kill them, even though they are quickly becoming endangered. Glad you called the game warden. Very good idea.
Honey
Honey

Number of posts : 1859
Honeycomb : 5
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by tara Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:20 am

ewww snapping turtles creep me out. We use to get them in yard when we lived in our old house near the canal. HUGE ones, like three foot across. The guys thought that they were fun to play with until one got bit and it took a chunk out of his arm., I on the other hand just left them alone and let them slowly wander on by and kept the dogs away, lol.
\
He is an ugly bastard.
tara
tara

Number of posts : 6833

http://www.mythirtyone.com/taras/

Back to top Go down

Post by Muggins Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:30 pm

Wow, what an impressive looking specimen that is! Good on you for calling in the game warden, lets hope he/she goes on to live a long, long life!
Muggins
Muggins
Queen Bee
Queen Bee

Number of posts : 249
Honeycomb : Level 6
Registration date : 2008-03-30

Back to top Go down

Post by bizzeedee Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:12 pm

Muggins wrote: lets hope he/she goes on to live a long, long life!

Something that ugly couldn't possibly be a female Laughing
bizzeedee
bizzeedee

Number of posts : 4243
Honeycomb : Sweet Bee ~ Level 6 ~

Back to top Go down

Post by amybeccaz Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:55 am

EWw! So glad no one got hurt!

I am so not a wildlife person... hate anything that slithers, or anything even remotely related to reptiles.
amybeccaz
amybeccaz

Number of posts : 621
Registration date : 2008-04-12

http://www.twocuteblondies.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrlyte Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:02 am

We had a snapping turtle in our yard a few weeks ago. Kids did not want to understand that they could lose a finger! LOL! It was MUCH smaller than yours Edbson, but a good medium size for all that. Hubby moved it to the fields with a shovel. It was hissing and complaining the whole way! ROFL!

I did some research on them after that, and it IS safe to pick them up from behind. They can't reach that far!
Starrlyte
Starrlyte
In Need of a Life
In Need of a Life

Number of posts : 349
Honeycomb : 5
Registration date : 2008-04-04

Back to top Go down

Post by tegansmom Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:25 am

OMG! I can't even imagine what my kids would try to do with that size turtle! I think the worse thing I've seen in my neighborhood is gardener snakes.....

Glad the kids are safe!.... Wink
tegansmom
tegansmom

Number of posts : 834
Registration date : 2008-03-21

Back to top Go down

Post by 59pearly Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:48 am

Dear Mom-chicks:

After reading this post, I have come to several conclusions...

1. I do not want any of your children within 10 miles of me. I love rambunctious kids and the badder the better but your children are of a special breed. There is nothing in all my years of experience that would make me feel I could handle anything they may do.

2. Edbson and Chelle especially, I will not be visiting and staying overnight. I am used to waking up by either the sun in my face or some nice funky music from a clock-radio. A snake being waved over my bed would immediately result in the most blood-curdling scream and probably a fist fight. My son had a fake snake in the utility sink because it was one of those that needed to be expanded by being placed in water. When I saw it, I screamed for nearly six days. And I knew it was fake but the things in any form give me the creeps.

3. Chelle, the part that got me was your kids bringing in the snake and wanting to know if it was poisonous or not. Kids like that should be with America's secret operatives. They have no fear and I am sure they could put down unrest in a small country somewhere with little effort.

4. Edbson, at least you had mercy on the poor thing but I am wondering if you aren't somewhat contributing to your children's point of view. How come they weren't afraid of that thing. Tell you what, get your kids and Chelle's kids together. I'll notify Bush and let him know we can settle any dispute anywhere and we can send our troops home.
59pearly
59pearly

Number of posts : 848
Honeycomb : Level 6 Sweet Bee - Need 13 honeycombs for next key. Sigh.
Registration date : 2008-05-05

http://acommonstreetpeddler.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by thebigscott Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:32 am

Hee hee! Pearly, you're gonna make me pee my pants!
thebigscott
thebigscott

Number of posts : 9214
Honeycomb : Level 6 ~ Sweet Bee

http://messierobjects.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Missy Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:19 am

I love you pearly!! lol

That was just great.

I am with you on the snake thing BUT I am like that with spiders. I will throw a shoe at a spider to kill it before I will go near it.

Once, I stepped on a bug and when it made a noise I screamed and ran for Tim to take care of it. The only reason why I braved to kill it was because Timmy got scared. lol

I once called a friend to drive over to my home, when Tim was at work a few years back, to kill a bug I found. I am petrified. I would go on Maury, but I know he'd probably play a Fear Factor trick on me and make me lay in a tub of bugs. *shivers* Now I am gonna think there are bugs everywhere all night. lol
Missy
Missy

Number of posts : 2031
Honeycomb : Level 6- The Abyss
Registration date : 2008-04-25

http://www.cafemom.com/home/missmissy

Back to top Go down

Post by edbson Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:55 am

They are a special breed, I agree, maybe I should send them to the white house.
edbson
edbson

Back to top Go down

Post by 59pearly Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:03 am

Oh for sure! Please do, edbson. I am looking at them in your avatar. They look so sweet. See that's what throws off the adversaries...

Missy, you and I are like the same with killing bugs. I will open the door to let a fly out instead of killing it... It's not an act of kindness, just don't like squishing stuff. But if it won't go, I will throw stuff at it.
59pearly
59pearly

Number of posts : 848
Honeycomb : Level 6 Sweet Bee - Need 13 honeycombs for next key. Sigh.
Registration date : 2008-05-05

http://acommonstreetpeddler.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by edbson Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:47 am

Yeah, they look sweet and innocent don't they.....looks can be deceiving.
edbson
edbson

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down